Baltimore TV Taping (4/7/12)

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
EcwHardCore07

Baltimore TV Taping (4/7/12)

Post by EcwHardCore07 »

ROH 04/07/12 TV Tapings SPOILERS for next 4 weeks of TV

Dark Match

1. Tarvaris Thomas beat an unknown wrestler. The crowd had no patience for this. Thomas won a bad match with a kick to the head.

TV Taping For Week One

1. Cedric Alexander and Caprice Coleman defeated The Briscoes in a Proving Ground match. Solid opener. The Briscoes always fire up the crowd. The finish came when Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas beat up Jay Briscoe behind the referee’s back. Mark fell victim to a double team move.

2. Rhino (w/Truth Martini) beat an enhancement wrestler. Martini cut a promo before hand about Roderick Strong winning the ROH TV Title and how he’d signed Rhino. Clothesline, suplex, Gore, goodnight.

Kevin Kelly introduced Kevin Steen accompanied by Jimmy Jacobs. They mentioned a match scheduled between Steen and Edwards and talked some trash. Davey Richards comes out. Both men are wearing flags. The match is in Toronto. There was more shit is talked between the two, including the personal history between them and the fact that Steen asked Richards for help in getting reinstated.

After all the shit talk, they challenged one another right then and there. The refs kept them apart. Jim Cornette had them sign a waiver saying ROH is not liable for any injuries to either. Cornette then revealed the waiver also states that the pile driver is legal for one night only, and also that it is Steen’s only shot. Good promo segment; real solid heat between the two. This will be a good one.

3. Roderick Strong (w/Truth Martini) defeated Adam Cole to retain the ROH TV Title. Michael Elgin came out midway through the match. Cole dove onto him without provocation. When Elgin recovered, he distracted the referee, allowing Martini to smash Cole with the Book of Truth. Strong hit his finisher for the win.

TV Taping For Week Two

1. Tomasso Ciampa (w/The Embassy) defeated Matt Taven. Ciampa went for the win after hitting a German at the bell, but Taven survived. Jay Lethal then sat at ringside and the match continued. What looked to be a squash became a competitive match. Ciampa won with two running knees in the Tree of Woe followed by Project Ciampa. He then confronted Lethal, but that didn’t go anywhere.

2. Mike Mondo beat T.J. Perkins. The Young Bucks came out and just like the earlier match, Perkins dove on them and Mondo before they interfered. I guess they did then because Mondo won right after that, but I didn’t see it. The Bucks and Mondo triple teamed Perkins until the All Night Express made the save. My goodness, this stuff is getting a bit predictable. Mondo was much more over than at the previous Baltimore tapings.

3. Kevin Steen defeated Kyle O’Reilly. Steen won with the F5. He and Jacobs then attacked Kyle’s leg, which had been hurt during the match. Davey Richards rescued his lover. This led to another pull apart. Steen left and Davey cut a bad promo promising to kill Steen. He also called himself a wolf repeatedly. I wish he would stop that shit.

TV Taping For Week Three

1. Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas beat The D-Line. The losing team may have been locals. They were very over and there were lots of people wearing their shirts, mostly kids. I’d never heard of them. Shirts covered the D-Line’s fatness. Haas and Benjamin couldn’t quite cover up what shitty wrestlers they were.

2. The Colony of Fire Ant, Green Ant and Soldier Ant defeated El Hijo del Ice Cream, Ice Cream Jr, & Ophidian
The Coloyn won with a triple team alley pop splash. This match was hilarious. If you haven’t seen Chikara, this is a good representation. Fun stuff.

3. Jay Lethal beat Ricky Reyes. Reyes is not very over, probably because he only appears in ROH at television tapings and only to job. Lethal won a short, unremarkable match.

4. ROH Champion Davey Richards defeated Rhino (w/Truth Martini, Roderick Strong) in a Proving Ground match. Richards won when he countered the Gore with a sunset flip. Yes, he won with a sunset flip. Decent match. The crowd no longer loves Davey to say the least. The House of Truth jumped Davey afterward. Jay Lethal made the save. The reason to watch this match is to see Truth’s ridiculous outfit.

TV Taping For Week Four

1. Eddie Edwards defeated “The Prodigy” Mike Bennett (w/Maria Kanellis, Brutal Bob). Brutal Bob tried to interfere, but Edwards double stomped him. Bennett tried to capitalize with a rollup. Edwards instead rolled him up. There was another heel beat down. The match was whatever. Edwards is good. Bennett has plateaued and made Maria too central to his act. It’s a good act but he’s screwed when she inevitably dumps him.

Grizzly Redwood was scheduled to wrestle Kaval Dickinson (not sure of the spelling). The House of Truth entered before the match could get started. Truth offered the jobbers money and they accepted.

2. Jay Lethal and Grizzly Redwood beat Michael Elgin by DQ in a handicap match. Elgin murdered Dickinson, who was helped to the back. Grizzly put up more of a fight. Lethal came out and became his partner. Lethal took the hot tag. Lethal and Elgin wrestled for a while. Roderick murdered Grizzly on the outside, then ran in for the DQ. This angered Elgin! He and Strong nearly come to blows, but Martini calmed the situation down and the House of Truth uncomfortably left together.

3. The All Night Express defeated The Young Bucks in a tag team elimination match. Rhett Titus was the sole survivor. Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin ran out to attack ANX with the Bucks. D-Line makes the save. They made a challenge for an eight-man tag. Presumably this does not air. Wow, D Line is f—ing horrid. I have no clue who or what they are, but they suck.

Dark Main Event

1. The All Night Express and D-Line defeated Charlie Haas, Shelton Benjamin, and The Young Bucks in an eight-man tag match. Bad match.

Credit to ProWrestling.net for the report
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Re: Baltimore TV Taping (4/7/12)

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Seems like an awful lot of run-ins!
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

"Yes, he won with a sunset flip"

I don't like this writer's attitude. What's wrong with a sunset flip?
Last Real Man Hype
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

WOW! Steen's only shot, I guess that makes it obvious he takes the title, doesn't it? I don't like that idea, it's too early IMO:
I don't know, I would prefer if Davey retains, has some more awesome title defenses against Jay, Kenny, Shelton, Cole, O'Reilly, Elgin. Consequently, Steen might be screwing Davey out of the titel at FB against Elgin, and we have an awesome grudge feud between Steen and Davey without the title, while Elgin can have a decent run with it.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Marketh. wrote:"Yes, he won with a sunset flip"

I don't like this writer's attitude. What's wrong with a sunset flip?
Yea I agree, you'd think the site would remove silly opinions like that out of the report.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:WOW! Steen's only shot, I guess that makes it obvious he takes the title, doesn't it? I don't like that idea, it's too early IMO:
I don't know, I would prefer if Davey retains, has some more awesome title defenses against Jay, Kenny, Shelton, Cole, O'Reilly, Elgin. Consequently, Steen might be screwing Davey out of the titel at FB against Elgin, and we have an awesome grudge feud between Steen and Davey without the title, while Elgin can have a decent run with it.
It could play out like that - although Steen has a history of getting around Jim Cornette's contractual attempts to freeze him out given that he lost a match that would see him leave ROH for good...only to be back within a year. Like you I sort of feel like ROH is only just starting to get into their stride with Davey as champion and feel like he has more to do as champion before Steen gets it. Although there's something to be said for striking while the iron is hot (something ROH has failed to do multiple times previously)...

The reports from these tapings definitely seem more positive than the last ones it has to be said. Just thinking - remember when the show started and we were told the TV show would do more to feel like a 'real' ROH live event by going to different venues so as to not burn out one market with repeated TV tapings. After Chicago got the first one we've since had multiple tapings in Louisville then Baltimore. I'm wondering how people would feel if they maybe tried running a set of tapings somewhere else on the circuit - and gave Baltimore (which by all reports is getting good crowds) a full scale live event?
Last edited by McXal on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

The writer shouldn´t write about ROH anymore... Tapings look good though
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

McXal wrote:
JigsawVs.Jason wrote:WOW! Steen's only shot, I guess that makes it obvious he takes the title, doesn't it? I don't like that idea, it's too early IMO:
It could play out like that - although Steen has a history of getting around Jim Cornette's contractual attempts to freeze him out given that he lost a match that would see him leave ROH for good...only to be back within a year. Like you I sort of feel like ROH is only just starting to get into their stride with Davey as champion and feel like he has more to do as champion before Steen gets it. Although there's something to be said for striking while the iron is hot (something ROH has failed to do multiple times previously)...
The more I think about it, I think the stipulation allowing the piledriver, would make for a GIGANTIC near fall, if Davey were to kick out. I'm somehow leaning more towards a defense after a hard fought battle and a Cornette screw job, continuing and intensifying the Steen/Cornette feud!
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
KL_

Post by KL_ »

iPPV in Canada - I think that's a great idea. And Steen vs Richards looks interesting. Maybe there will be some Cornette screw job and what's later on with Steen/Cornette feud, we will see at Best in the World ;)
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

One thing I would say is that if they do pull the trigger on a full scale Cornette heel turn and have him screwing Steen out of the title - they need to tread carefully

Last time ROH tried something like this Jim Cornette and his never-ending, interminably dull heel promos near enough KILLED the Road Of Homicide storyline at the end of 2006

Not saying that would happen again, particularly as TV will force them to be a lot more crisp and concise in how they ran such a storyline. But I'd hate for them to not pull the trigger and blow Kevin Steen's amazing popularity/overness on Jim Cornette...
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

So the Young Bucks came out during TJ Perkins' match, ehh? Hmm...

I wanna see a three-way tag between the Briscoes, WGTT, and Coleman & Alexander for the tag belts, and see C&C win it, out of nowhere.

LOL, Kaval.

Sounds like a fun set of tapings!

I agree w/ McXal, hopefully they do run somewhere new for a bit and give Baltimore a fun house show, or even an iPPV down the line soon.
Maybe if the Pittsburgh or WV show goes well, they could get a TV taping, as I doubt Cincy, Norfolk, or either of the Carolinas will get one.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Do you see Young Bucks/TJP thing ending in a Young Bucks vs TJP & Amazing Red match?
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

187_Joeism wrote:Do you see Young Bucks/TJP thing ending in a Young Bucks vs TJP & Amazing Red match?
:shock: That would be fantastic. We spoke to TJP on ROHCast just before SITS and he did say he's been pushing ROH to bring in Red. Apparently they were going to try and sort something out after SITS
Tree

Post by Tree »

that's the point. everyone thinks it's obvious, and then he doesn't win.

either he finds a way around the ruling, or he aids in Richards losing the title, then demands a shot against the new champion.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Also, according to Kevin Kelly, the guy Rhino squashed was Vinny Marseglia.
carlcantone

Post by carlcantone »

Yeah,
Really do not want to see another heel authority figure vs hero story, but lets see what happens
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

This week promo of Steen and Richards was awesome as always with these 2 face to face, i love the "American Strong Style is dead, The American Wolf is back and the hunt is on" line. I´m so hyped with Border Wars.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

187_Joeism wrote: "American Strong Style is dead, The American Wolf is back and the hunt is on" line. I´m so hyped with Border Wars.
Did Richards say this?
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

SteenMark23
SteenMark23 wrote:
187_Joeism wrote: "American Strong Style is dead, The American Wolf is back and the hunt is on" line. I´m so hyped with Border Wars.
Did Richards say this?
Yeah, in a backstage promo before the Steen/Richards/Cornette segment