Atlanta TV 7.21.18

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
TYFDK

Atlanta TV 7.21.18

Post by TYFDK »

Spoilers from @BenTurpan on Twitter:

P Dawg Mike Posey vs Sal Rinauro in a possible Future of Honor Match. Could be just a dark match too. Sal wins.

Scorpio Sky vs. Chris Sabin. Sabin wins. “Shelley claims he will be stepping away from wrestling. Asks Sabin to fullfill his dreams starting with the TV Title.” Punishment Martinez then attacks the MCMG but Sky runs him off.

Karen Q vs. Jenny Rose next. Kelly Klein on commentary, who distracts Jenny allowing Karen the victory. Kelly attacks Jenny afterwards.

FR Josie vs. Eli Isom in a Top Prospect Tournament match is interrupted by a debuting Jeff Cobb, who attacks both.

Kenny King vs, Marty Scurll. King wins with a roll up and feet on the ropes.

Christopher Daniels vs. Jay Briscoe. Mark interferes with a chair to cause the DQ. Kazarian and Sky come out for the save.

Silas Young vs. Flip Gordon. Flip with the victory. Bully Ray low blows him afterwards and has a stare down with Silas.

Lethal vs. Gresham, ROH World Championship 30 minute iron man match. No points for either past 25 minutes. Gresham gets one, then Lethal ties it up with less than 2 minutes left with a figure four. Time expires, Match rendered a draw. Gresham asks for 5 more minutes and he gets it. Lethal wins with Lethal Injection.

Sumie Sakai vs. Madison Rayne, ROH Women of Honor Championship Match. Sumie retains.

Shane Taylor vs. Josh Woods. Shane Taylor wins.

Marcus Kross vs. Charles Zanders in a Top Prospect Tournament Match is a no contest when Jeff Cobb interferes again and attacks both.

Best Friends vs. Bully Ray & Silas Young. Best Friends win after Silas is left hanging by Bully.

Kazarian vs. Mark Briscoe. Kaz wins, then SCU and Briscoes brawl, and Punishment somehow gets involved with it too.

The Dawgs vs. Beer City Bruiser & Brian Milonas vs. Cheeseburger & Ryan Nova. BCB and Milonas win. Other two teams brawl after.

Atlanta return: 1.12.2019

Cody & Young Bucks vs. The Kingdom, ROH World Six Man Tag Team Championship match. Nick Aldis on commentary. Cody and Bucks win and are new champs.

————————————————————

So, this is the first of two TV tapings before the next PPV in September. Kind of hard to tell what exactly is being set up for it as of right now, as a couple people are involved in a couple things.

Scorpio Sky and Chris Sabin seem to be the top two contenders to the TV Title. Sabin won a number one contenders match against Silas Young at the last tapings. So with two challengers, Martinez is also getting involved with SCU/Briscoes stuff, but Sky IS in SCU, so I bet that’s a TV Title match we’ll see at DBD.

Jeff Cobb’s interference in both TPT matches is interesting. Wonder who will stop him or who he’ll attack next!

Lethal’s first title defense was successful, but Gresham has another chance at a title shot in the UK, so the trilogy still has a chance at becoming a quadrilogy.

Sumie Sakai’s defended her belt successfully for the sixth time. We’ll see what the UK holds for her, as well, as a bunch of new woman are debuting or returning.

Bully is facing either Flip or Silas at DBD, or both.

In their 7th defense, The Kingdom lost to the team of Cody and the Young Bucks. Bucks are now triple champions, also being both IWGP Heaviweight Tag champs and NEVER Openweight Six Man champs.
AlexROH

Re: Atlanta TV 7.21.18

Post by AlexROH »

Interesting. I though Briscoes would face Bucks since they pinned them on Honor For All. Didn't see that title chance comming in the tríos división? Is Taven the next world champ?
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

The Sabin/Shelley thing is interesting. Possibly a setup for a heel turn by Shelley?
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Seems like an interesting story for Shelley.

SCU vs Briscoes is up.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Seems like one of the better tapings this year. Like Alex, I've also got my is Taven the next champ senses going. Any reports on the Lethal/Gresham match? Sounds like ... people were receptive to it. (-_-)

But it wouldn't be a TV spoilers thread if I didn't rip on Bully Ray and this Woods/Taylor "program." Please god don't waste Best Friends' good return on a Bully Ray storyline.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

"Apparently Gresham and Lethal got 10 MINUTES of standing ovations for their ROH title match from the latest TV tapings "
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

So the Young Bucks have
ROH World Six Man Tag Team Championship
IWGP Heawyweight Tag Team Championship
NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Championship

They gonna get the ROH Tag belts too?
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Other thoughts:

- It would be great to move on from the Cheeseburger-Ferrara/Dawgs feud.

- Too bad they didn't use One Mean Team in any of the FOH matches

- There seems to be no real direction in the Bully Ray heel turn. I assume his "feud" with Cheeseburger is done and he's moved on to Flip? And now perhaps Silas as well?

- Surprised to see King get the win over Scurll

- Seems like the MCMG will be done soon leaving even fewer tag teams currently in ROH (particularly with Coast 2 Coast being side-lined).
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Tag teams currently:
Briscoes
Addiction
Young Bucks
Best Friends
Kingdom (TK and Vinny)
Bruiser and Milonas
Dawgs
The Boys

Looks a lot stronger with Trent back. They definitely miss Coast 2 Coast; unfortunate timing for Ali to get hurt.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

good looking tv tapings

cant wait to see gresham- lethal 3
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Something I really wish they did was capitalize on Eli Isom. The guy pinned Christopher Daniels and won that six man gauntlet. He, Chuck Taylor and Kenny King got their title shot, but then he’s here in a no contest to get Jeff Cobb over? AT LEAST swap him and Ryan Nova in that Cheeseburger match, so there’s some resemblance of something of a push going on. Now it just feels wasted.
malek

Post by malek »

cgstong wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:06 am Seems like an interesting story for Shelley.
Shelley is retiring :(

Would be very, very surprised if this is a "work".
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

TYFDK wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:57 am Something I really wish they did was capitalize on Eli Isom. The guy pinned Christopher Daniels and won that six man gauntlet. He, Chuck Taylor and Kenny King got their title shot, but then he’s here in a no contest to get Jeff Cobb over? AT LEAST swap him and Ryan Nova in that Cheeseburger match, so there’s some resemblance of something of a push going on. Now it just feels wasted.
I think the problem with that is FR Josie was the other participant and they may be trying to use Nova/Josie as a tag team (the "Pale Riders"). Nova had been tagging with Isom, but it seems he may be on to bigger things soon. I agree that it was a poor way to capitalize on his pin on Daniels though.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Apparently Shelley is just going to focus on finishing his studies but will return down the line. I think his is a good opportunity for Sabin to stand out on his own as a singles guy in ROH anyways.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:27 pm Apparently Shelley is just going to focus on finishing his studies but will return down the line. I think his is a good opportunity for Sabin to stand out on his own as a singles guy in ROH anyways.
His recent tweets (listed on the front page of this site) make one wonder if he's actually going to return or if he's truly done at this point.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Zhuge1 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 am
The Dragon Saga wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:27 pm Apparently Shelley is just going to focus on finishing his studies but will return down the line. I think his is a good opportunity for Sabin to stand out on his own as a singles guy in ROH anyways.
His recent tweets (listed on the front page of this site) make one wonder if he's actually going to return or if he's truly done at this point.
He never said at any point he's retired. Also all insiders are reporting this coincides with his mouth injury and his contract expiring and that they set up an angle on TV with Martinez for when he probably returns down the line.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

TYFDK wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:25 pm Spoilers from @BenTurpan on Twitter:

P Dawg Mike Posey vs Sal Rinauro in a possible Future of Honor Match. Could be just a dark match too. Sal wins.
I really hope this isn't a Future of Honor match. Haven't we seen what these two guys have by now? Neither of them are the "future" of anything.
Big Red Machine

So...
Clean finish with post-match attack
Distraction finish
No finish because Cobb runs in and attacks both guys
Feet on the ropes
DQ
Clean finish with post-match attack
Clean finish in world title match (thank G-d)
Clean finish in women's title match against random outsider who no one thought had any chance
Clean finish in never-ending feud where results don't matter anyway
No finish because Cobb runs in and attacks both guys
Heel loses because his heel partner walked out on him
Clean finish
Clean finish in jobber-team three-way, with post-match brawl in never-ending feud where results don't matter anyway
Clean finish in six-man tag title match (though I'm sure the Kingdom tried to use all of their stupid gimmicks, anyway).

Can we maybe drop a good chunk of the bullsh*t?

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Bully Ray is now feuding with Silas Young, Flip Gordon, and Colt Cabana all at the same time (the Cheeseburger part of this is officially over, right?). WHY ARE WE PUTTING SO MUCH EFFORT INTO BOOKING BULLY RAY?
Big Red Machine

TYFDK wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:57 am Something I really wish they did was capitalize on Eli Isom. The guy pinned Christopher Daniels and won that six man gauntlet. He, Chuck Taylor and Kenny King got their title shot, but then he’s here in a no contest to get Jeff Cobb over? AT LEAST swap him and Ryan Nova in that Cheeseburger match, so there’s some resemblance of something of a push going on. Now it just feels wasted.
Are you really surprised by this? Remember Global Wars 2016 when Cheseburger got his big win over Christopher Daniels... and now he's still the same goofy comedy jobber two years later? Or how Jay White beat Christopher Daniels on his first night in the company and then proceeded to not do anything for the next eight months despite never losing and pinning some relatively big names? Or the entire ROH careers of Donovan Dijak and Lio Rush?
It should be obvious by now that the philosophy of the current regime is "the fans will believe anything we tell them so all we need to do is give a one thing to hang his hat on and the fans will see him as a big deal forever, even if we don't actually treat him like one, so why put the effort into following up on any sort of big win?"
(You could even throw Gresham into this category as well, all he has had has been this three-match feud with Lethal that has to my memory only ever even been brought up on the three shows that had the matches, with no real build to them in any sort of way or no storyline built around them other than "you beat me tonight, but I'd like another shot please, Mr. Lethal.")
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:51 am
TYFDK wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:25 pm Spoilers from @BenTurpan on Twitter:

I really hope this isn't a Future of Honor match. Haven't we seen what these two guys have by now? Neither of them are the "future" of anything.
Quite a few of the Future of Honor matches seem to just be dark matches that don't feature any of the ROH Dojo guys (or anyone they are seriously considering signing). Sort of like J-Rocc vs. Afa Jr. a few weeks ago (although maybe that's because they are using J-Rocc for color commentary?).