Official 'Fairfax Excellence' Thread (6.30.2018)

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
Big Red Machine

Re: Official 'Fairfax Excellence' Thread (6.30.2018)

Post by Big Red Machine »

dhads7161 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:45 am Can't help but feel a little robbed cosidering I ordered the PPV on Friday and they did the World title change at the TV tapings.
I understand the feeling, but I don't think it's quite the right way to look at it. If you feel the show was good enough for the money paid then I wouldn't feel like they screwed me on the show, but I would totally understand being slightly reluctant to order a future PPV because of something like this.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I do think ROH is charging too much for PPV in this era considering you can watch other companies' major shows for about $10 plus the other content on the streaming services but I did enjoy Best In the World no doubt.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

And $9.99 a la cart for live events that's a little steep compared to the service NJPW (and I hate to say it WWE) offers.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

dhads7161 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:41 pm I do think ROH is charging too much for PPV in this era considering you can watch other companies' major shows for about $10 plus the other content on the streaming services but I did enjoy Best In the World no doubt.
If people still buy the PPV with that price, why would you change It?
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:58 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:03 am What will be interesting is to see if they bring Marty back into it in some fashion especially with the UK tournament coming up.
That could create an interesting little dynamic with Marty where he wins all of these important, named, #1 contendership matches (Defy or Deny, the UK tournament) but doesn't get the win. I could see them doing that, then having him win SOTF and finally win the belt at Final Battle.
Yeah i think If they have a big SOTF with bigger names running through (guys being brought in from Japan, Mexico etc, it I think it would work for Marty, just beating the general ROH talent just wouldn't be enough for a launch to a title win at Final Battle even if it's Marty. I think the result would be kind of Anticlimatic if he was just beating the regular ROH guys. if I am going to pick someone to win SOTF this year I would go with either Gordon or Page.

Would they change the title in England or is the title shot for a later date

One thing that necerssarily hasn't been looked at (there might be a reason for that), could we see a title change at 'All In' considering Jay is booked.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Zhuge1 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:38 am Read the results posted on the site. Not sure if they are full results or not, but surprised there's no Coast 2 Coast (unless they are injured?). Also no Josh Woods or Milonas (unless he was with Bruiser and Silas).
Josh Woods was apparently with Flip Gordon and Cheeseburger against the big boys.

Really like that Sabin won a number one contenders match for the TV Title. Hope we get a lot more singles matches from him.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Zhuge1 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:38 am Read the results posted on the site. Not sure if they are full results or not, but surprised there's no Coast 2 Coast (unless they are injured?). Also no Josh Woods or Milonas (unless he was with Bruiser and Silas).
Shaheem was in a pretty serious car accident a while ago.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Wilson wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:10 am Promo from last night leading to the 4-way match.

All four guys looked really confident (even in that half-empty space). Get Taven away from the Kingdom and have him do more in-ring promos solo. In a complimentary way, he oozes such a good shitheel vibe, ROH's Miz through and through.

Side note, it's feels so strange to have back to back champions this year that I actually want to see. It's definitely been a while for me since I've felt as positive about the direction of the title.
Having just seen the match, I think I would put this as the best World Title change since Best in the World 2015. This is probably just a snapshot of characters all in momentum--as it was in 2015 before things fell apart--but I do really fancy the main event scene right now.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Wilson wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:28 pm Having just seen the match, I think I would put this as the best World Title change since Best in the World 2015.
Is this just coincidence that BITW 2015 was Lethal's other win? Nope! Lethal is juat that good.
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:28 pm
Wilson wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:10 am Promo from last night leading to the 4-way match.

All four guys looked really confident (even in that half-empty space). Get Taven away from the Kingdom and have him do more in-ring promos solo. In a complimentary way, he oozes such a good shitheel vibe, ROH's Miz through and through.

Side note, it's feels so strange to have back to back champions this year that I actually want to see. It's definitely been a while for me since I've felt as positive about the direction of the title.
Having just seen the match, I think I would put this as the best World Title change since Best in the World 2015. This is probably just a snapshot of characters all in momentum--as it was in 2015 before things fell apart--but I do really fancy the main event scene right now.
Better than Kyle over Cole? This match seems like it's worth going out of my way to see rather than waiting for the TV then.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Better than Kyle vs. Cole simply for the fact that the title change to O'Reilly didn't end up meaning shit.
Big Red Machine

dhads7161 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:58 pm Better than Kyle vs. Cole simply for the fact that the title change to O'Reilly didn't end up meaning shit.
I don't take that into account when evaluating the actual match.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:00 pm
dhads7161 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:58 pm Better than Kyle vs. Cole simply for the fact that the title change to O'Reilly didn't end up meaning shit.
I didn't really care for Kyle vs. Cole. At that point their feud lacked any drama. It made watching the match feel like they were going through the motions. I liked this 4 way a lot better. That sense of anything could happen was there.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Does anyone know if Dalton Castle is currently injured? I assume that is why they took the belt off a him? Seemed like his reign was going to have some legs. I probably would have went with Cody or Scrull for the belt.

I hear what people mean about the PPV. I'd be mad... it's not like ROH has live TV where people could see the change.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

kovs27 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:59 am
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:00 pm
I didn't really care for Kyle vs. Cole. At that point their feud lacked any drama. It made watching the match feel like they were going through the motions. I liked this 4 way a lot better. That sense of anything could happen was there.
Right, I guess your mileage may vary on the Kyle/Adam match depending on what you thought of their program. I lost faith in their feud when they put the title on Adam before O'Reilly and was dubious of their dynamic all the way up until Final Battle. The crowd really didn't care much for Kyle winning that night. To me, it was kind of just a match.

And the 4-way is a good match! It goes a little long and has a bit of the patented Delirious overbooking, but everyone just came off like stars.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I really think the true payoff to Cole vs. O'Reilly was SCOH 2016. Yeah the Final Battle match left me underwhelmed (PPV main events are cursed).