ROH 05/13/18 War of the Worlds Chicago TV Taping Results *SPOILERS*

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
ActionJeffson

ROH 05/13/18 War of the Worlds Chicago TV Taping Results *SPOILERS*

Post by ActionJeffson »

Source: wrestlezone.com
Dark Match: The Bouncers (The Beer City Bruiser and Brian Milonas) def. Brian Johnson and Justin Pusser (w/ Miss Jasmine)

Dark Match: Stacy Shadows def. Stella Grey via pinfall

Ian Riccaboni and Colt Cabana are introduced as the commentary team for tonight’s show, which is a TV taping. HUGE reaction for Cabana in his hometown of Chicago.

Match #1: Karen Q def. Tenille Dashwood

Match #2: Jushin Liger & Cheeseburger def. The Dawgs (Rhett Titus & Will Ferrara) via pinfall

Match #3: Sumie Sakai def. Jenny Rose to retain the WOH Championship

Match #4: The Briscoe Brothers def. Roppongi 3K via pinfall to retain the ROH World Tag Team Championships

Match #5: Silas Young def. Austin Aries via DQ to retain the ROH TV Championship
– Austin Aries pinned Silas Young after Kenny King attacked Silas with the ROH TV Title! The referee reversed his decision post match after learning of King’s involvement. Silas retains. Crowd was NOT happy.

Cody comes to the ring and puts over his accomplishments and how he’ll win the ROH World Championship back. Marty Scurll comes out to confront him saying he’ll go through him to win the ROH World Championship if he has to. Scurll offers a handshake before teasing he’ll break Cody’s fingers and then leaving the ring.

Bully Ray comes out to clear the air with Flip Gordon saying that he has an immense amount of respect for the men in the United States armed services.
They salute one another and then… Bully kicks him in the breadbasket and calls him, “a stupid young boy.” Huge boos.

Match #7: Kelly Klein def. Deonna Purrazzo via submission

Match #8: SoCal Uncensored (Scorpio Sky, Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian) def. The Kingdom (Matt Taven, TK O’Ryan and Vinny Marseglia) via DQ but The Kingdom retains the ROH 6-Man Championships

Match #9: Kenny King def. Chuckie T via pinfall

Match #10: Shane Taylor def. Josh Woods via pinfall

Dalton Castle joins the commentary team for the main event.

Match #11: Bullet Club def. Los Ingobernables de Japon via pinfall
Sounds like a pretty lackluster set of tapings to be honest.
Wilson

Re: ROH 05/13/18 War of the Worlds Chicago TV Taping Results *SPOILERS*

Post by Wilson »

Thanks for posting, Action.

In my opinion, the tapings during the WOTW tours have been some of the weakest in the past three years. And the pursuant Best in the World shows come off the worse for them. I know two key players are missing, but so little looks to be going on.
Match #1: Karen Q def. Tenille Dashwood
Women of Honor has no direction example #1982. Karen Q is one of my faves in the division, but we all know Tenille and Deonna are the real stars. Don't job them to wrestlers who have in the recent past been midcard enhancement.
Match #2: Jushin Liger & Cheeseburger def. The Dawgs (Rhett Titus & Will Ferrara) via pinfall
Maybe the Dawgs channel Global Wars 2016 booking and become the next tag champs.
Match #3: Sumie Sakai def. Jenny Rose to retain the WOH Championship
Next championship match is Sakai vs. Karen Q? How paper champion are we looking to go here?
Match #4: The Briscoe Brothers def. Roppongi 3K via pinfall to retain the ROH World Tag Team Championships
Thankfully their run with Bully Ray got the Briscoes into a whole lot of interesting places. Like generic heel matchups and defenses.
Match #5: Silas Young def. Austin Aries via DQ to retain the ROH TV Championship
– Austin Aries pinned Silas Young after Kenny King attacked Silas with the ROH TV Title! The referee reversed his decision post match after learning of King’s involvement. Silas retains. Crowd was NOT happy.
Maybe this comes off better on TV than suggested here. Even though the booking would always be hampered for this encounter, this has been one of the fresher breaths of air for ROH this year.
Cody comes to the ring and puts over his accomplishments and how he’ll win the ROH World Championship back. Marty Scurll comes out to confront him saying he’ll go through him to win the ROH World Championship if he has to. Scurll offers a handshake before teasing he’ll break Cody’s fingers and then leaving the ring.
Relatively new main eventer Dalton is going to have a breezy time getting over while wrestling white-hot heels(?) Marty and Cody. I understand why Johnston might think this might be an attractive match on paper, but this will not end up flattering Dalton, especially if he retains.
Bully Ray comes out to clear the air with Flip Gordon saying that he has an immense amount of respect for the men in the United States armed services.
They salute one another and then… Bully kicks him in the breadbasket and calls him, “a stupid young boy.” Huge boos.
[coughs] Ahem. "If Bully Ray is to truly be the next multi-year scheme to waste TV time, then this easily joins the company of Whitmer/Corino as the most tedious thing ROH has ever done. Either Johnston is deeply cynical about their TV demographic (older white men) or this is done specifically to cater to some executive at Sinclair. To wit, ROH isn't becoming TNA, it's becoming WWE."
Match #7: Kelly Klein def. Deonna Purrazzo via submission
Or maybe we the get the fansqueal-inducing Sumie/Klein II.
Match #8: SoCal Uncensored (Scorpio Sky, Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian) def. The Kingdom (Matt Taven, TK O’Ryan and Vinny Marseglia) via DQ but The Kingdom retains the ROH 6-Man Championships
We're doing this again for the PPV, I guess? OK.
Match #9: Kenny King def. Chuckie T via pinfall
Good. Fine.
Match #10: Shane Taylor def. Josh Woods via pinfall
Josh Woods, the man whose goodly goods are so good that they didn't bother to host a TPT this year. Fresh match. Fresh outcome.
Match #11: Bullet Club def. Los Ingobernables de Japon via pinfall
OK. Probably will come off well on TV.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Does Josh Woods ever win anymore? Maybe a dark match every now and again (seems like he beat Gladiator Jeremiah in a dark match a while back?).

The Dashwood/Karen Q match is an odd one.

Hopefully the Sakai-Rose match was decent given the setup.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Wondering what they are working towards for the TV title match at the PPV. Am I wrong, or didn't they hype the SCoH match between Kenny and Silas as the end of the fued? But a Aries / Silas / King triple threat seems most likely from these results. Or at least would make the most sense, which doesn't necessarily mean anything.
ActionJeffson

Post by ActionJeffson »

maxx_powerz wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:42 pm Wondering what they are working towards for the TV title match at the PPV. Am I wrong, or didn't they hype the SCoH match between Kenny and Silas as the end of the fued? But a Aries / Silas / King triple threat seems most likely from these results. Or at least would make the most sense, which doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Yeah, I thought that's the direction they were going in too but I thought I was reading into it too much. Maybe not then!

But yeah, this was easily the thing I was interested in most from this show and this was the result. I'd much rather woulda had Aries join up with Silas/Bruiser/Milonas for a while before a split and feud but I still bet it's a good match. The Bullet Club/LIJ match should be great, and I'm excited for Gresham/Taylor too.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

ActionJeffson wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:51 pm I'm excited for Gresham/Taylor too.
You're unconscious heart probably wanted Gresham, but the universe instead gave us 'The Goods'.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Zhuge1 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:21 pm Does Josh Woods ever win anymore? Maybe a dark match every now and again (seems like he beat Gladiator Jeremiah in a dark match a while back?).

The Dashwood/Karen Q match is an odd one.

Hopefully the Sakai-Rose match was decent given the setup.
The Woods vs. Taylor match is actually a follow-up to the match they had in Florida, where Woods won and Taylor attacked him afterwards, then ran away from Woods' pal King Mo.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wilson wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:00 pm
[coughs] Ahem. "If Bully Ray is to truly be the next multi-year scheme to waste TV time, then this easily joins the company of Whitmer/Corino as the most tedious thing ROH has ever done. Either Johnston is deeply cynical about their TV demographic (older white men) or this is done specifically to cater to some executive at Sinclair. To wit, ROH isn't becoming TNA, it's becoming WWE."
I might well be the single biggest critic of Bully's ROH run and wish he would just go away and think that his presence has been nothing but bad for ROH... and while I do wish this whole thing would end, I do feel the need to step up and say that I don't think it is fair to classify this current angle as the same as sort of total waste of time as a lot of the Whitmer/Corino stuff or every other feud Cheeseburger has ever had. I haven't seen the WOTW shows yet but I have seen quick results from them, and I think that this feud is at least moving at something of a decent pace, compared to many other Delirious "stories" that have just spun around in circles for months on end.

And, because I am (aside from the wrestlers themselves) also probably the single biggest defender of much of the Whitmer/Corino feud, I do feel the need to remind everyone that ROH want to blow the feud off first at BITW 2015 and then at FB 2016 but where unable to do so both times because due to injuries to first Whitmer and then Corino. it was never planned to be the monumental waste of time it became the way these endless Cheeseburger feuds have been. It became one by circumstance, and if Delirious hadn't ruined it with Kevin Sullivan and the Boozar Moocan bullsh*t, I think it would be remembered a lot more fondly.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

If I recall correctly, I do admit that I was among the more pessimist about Whitmer/Corino during 2015. Even if we could table everything that happened in 2016 (which was unmitigated wrestlecrap), I dreaded seeing subpar announcer playing the hero to milk out larger reactions than growing babyfaces on the roster. And worse, we were getting this teased out after months of will-they, won't they between Corino and Nigel. I was at my wit's end before Whitmer's injury.

I'm lumping everything Bully Ray has done into one bucket. Him, his tag team buddying, his retirement-baiting, his not putting people over, his getting heat on then-champion Adam Cole, his Sinclair embodying, his on-the-fly, fourth-wall breaking booking, and his interminably lengthy stay have all been wrestlecrap. No one needs to see him fix his jocks in ROH again. No one asked in the first place.
ActionJeffson

Post by ActionJeffson »

Wilson wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:00 pm
ActionJeffson wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:51 pm I'm excited for Gresham/Taylor too.
You're unconscious heart probably wanted Gresham, but the universe instead gave us 'The Goods'.
HUH. Not sure where I got Gresham :lol: well, that's disappointing.