Official 'Music City Excellence' TV Tapings Thread (1.20.18)

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
Wilson

Re: Official 'Music City Excellence' TV Tapings Thread (1.20.18)

Post by Wilson »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:51 pm In fairness to Whitmer vs. Corino, they actually tried to do the blow-off two different times before the match that ended in the Sullivan debacle but Whitmter was injured for BITW 2015 and Corino was injured for FB 2015.
In fairness to Whitmer vs. Corino is not a sentential sequence I thought I would ever read from you. That program would've been, like, two to three years in the making by BITW 2015. And then they decided to extend it after the confrontation at BITW 2016, for seven more months.

From the looks of it, Bully Ray will play a role that combines Nigel and Corino's will he ever wrestle again? as well as their on-screen authorities. This just screams of another thing that will occupy countless segments to lead to nowhere.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wilson wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:53 am
Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:51 pm In fairness to Whitmer vs. Corino, they actually tried to do the blow-off two different times before the match that ended in the Sullivan debacle but Whitmter was injured for BITW 2015 and Corino was injured for FB 2015.
In fairness to Whitmer vs. Corino is not a sentential sequence I thought I would ever read from you. That program would've been, like, two to three years in the making by BITW 2015. And then they decided to extend it after the confrontation at BITW 2016, for seven more months.

They had been occasionally saying things about each other for a while (mostly heel Corino saying mean things about Whitmer), but the first move in the direction of an actual feud was at Final Battle 2014 so it wasn't that long. It was a year and a half, and they had tried to blow it off at both seven months and twelve months but just weren't able to.
And I actually enjoyed good chunks of that feud. I thought they started to drop the ball on it when it became clear they really weren't going anywhere Cody as The Decade's young boy. By the time the angles themselves started to get really lame (like the mysterious thumb drive) it had been put off for too long because for most of that time one of the guys in the feud wasn't cleared to wrestle. It's not like it dragged on just because they weren't going anywhere with it like Cabinet/Rebellion vs. Search & Destroy. It wasn't a bad feud until the health of the wrestlers fell apart, and then Kevin Sullivan showed up to stake what was left of it through the heart.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Honestly, I'm a bit afraid to dive in scrutiny with your encyclopedia-brain, but, from what I remember, Corino and Whitmer were at least sowing seeds of animosity shortly after the ROH vs. SCUM feud (using sideeye glances or off-mic comments). After however much time of unclear grievance between the two, the program began in earnest around Final Battle in 2014.

But of course all of that is such an inconsiderate way to structure segments and cobble together efficient storytelling. What the hell is the point of building toward a confrontation of a middle-aged, over-the-hill commentator? Johnston has a weird fancy to plot out yearlong stories that only have short-term effects with no realistic possibility of having a long-tail effect. Corino, Nana, Romantic Touch, RD Evans, Cheeseburger, and now Bully Ray.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wilson wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:26 pm Honestly, I'm a bit afraid to dive in scrutiny with your encyclopedia-brain, but, from what I remember, Corino and Whitmer were at least sowing seeds of animosity shortly after the ROH vs. SCUM feud (using sideeye glances or off-mic comments). After however much time of unclear grievance between the two, the program began in earnest around Final Battle in 2014.
It was mostly Corino saying terrible things about BJ and usually on commentary rather than cutting a promo on him or something, but it pretty much always came across as just another random thing Corino would do. It seemed no more important than the numerous other allegations he would make about other wrestlers (like ACH, for example, or like every time he would accuse the Romantic Touch of being Rhett Titus). It never actually seemed like it would turn into an angle until they did something physical at Final Battle. In hindsight, it probably seems like something Corino just started doing his own and he talked Delirious into it (probably because it was a way he could get Colby a roster spot).
Wilson wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:26 pm But of course all of that is such an inconsiderate way to structure segments and cobble together efficient storytelling. What the hell is the point of building toward a confrontation of a middle-aged, over-the-hill commentator? Johnston has a weird fancy to plot out yearlong stories that only have short-term effects with no realistic possibility of having a long-tail effect. Corino, Nana, Romantic Touch, RD Evans, Cheeseburger, and now Bully Ray.
My suspicion is that this one was based on the idea that Corino and Whitner would be able to deliver in a hardcore environment. And, to be fair, Corino had developed a bit of a track record of being able to do so when used in a limited capacity (see his matches with Steen, Briscoe, Cabana, Generico, and in the Whitmer match before the terrible finish). Whitmer was similar. I also suspect that Jimmy Jacobs leaving (and essentially killing the Decade as a practical force) hurt the planned angle as Jimmy's combined history with both men would have allowed for something to be done with him.