Official Winter Warriors Tour 2016 (TV Tapings) Thread

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
DXvsNWO1994

Re: Official Winter Warriors Tour 2016 (TV Tapings) Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

TYFDK wrote: I can actually see where Joeism's coming from. Kyle was screwed over in his title match with Lethal. Kyle was screwed over in his grudge match with Cole. Instead of having individual rematches, Nigel combined the two problems O'Reilly was facing, and put them together. Cole getting a shot makes sense, too, because technically he beat Kyle at Final Battle.

But, I can see the side you and Thelone are on, as well. Kyle hasn't been made legitimate lately (although I think his work has been great) and thus should really work more for a shot. But I think if Kyle loses this match, he won't get another shot again. He'll likely face Cole in a big match at BITW.
I definitely agree with what you said here. O'Reilly's involvement in the Triple Threat has some merit, but he hasn't had enough big singles victories.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Hopefully they catch it and realize that and between now and the 7 shows until the PPV, put Kyle in winning predicaments in high profile matches.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

TYFDK wrote:Hopefully they catch it and realize that and between now and the 7 shows until the PPV, put Kyle in winning predicaments in high profile matches.
A good booker could have addressed that problem at this taping, though. Before announcing O'Reilly is getting a world title shot despite not winning anything.

Episode 1 - O'Reilly beats Michael Elgin clean in a 20-minute main event, then calls out Lethal. Lethal says O'Reilly hasn't earned a title shot. Nigel says true, but he can do so if he can beat Lethal in a non-title match next week.

Episode 2 - Cole beats Mark Briscoe. O'Reilly beats Lethal clean in a non-title match. Nigel announces O'Reilly has earned a shot at 14A. Cole interjects to point out he beat O'Reilly at FB, so Nigel adds him to the match.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Kyle beating Lethal on TV would be bad booking after all the good job they have done building Lethal when he can get the match just saying that Cole cost him his shot
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

187_Joeism wrote:Kyle beating Lethal on TV would be bad booking after all the good job they have done building Lethal when he can get the match just saying that Cole cost him his shot
Kyle beating Lethal on TV would be an example of somebody earning a title shot by winning a match as opposed to just whining.

It's not enough for Kyle to just say "Well, I didn't lose clean". When it comes to getting a world title shot, the question should be "Who did you beat? What did you win?" The answer can't be "Absolutely nothing. I haven't won any major singles matches in well over a year. Put me in the world title match in the main event of the next PPV." It just can't. You have to be a better booker than that.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

You can do the same thing with Kyle pinning Lethal in a tag team match, you don´t have to hurt Lethal making lose a singles match to elevate Kyle.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

187_Joeism wrote:You can do the same thing with Kyle pinning Lethal in a tag team match, you don´t have to hurt Lethal making lose a singles match to elevate Kyle.
You have to do it when your back is against the wall because you've beaten O'Reilly like a drum for well over a year and now fans are supposed to believe he's a credible singles challenger for the world title.

Losing a non-title match to the guy he's facing in the PPV main event is not going to hurt Lethal.

Winning a tag team match doesn't help get O'Reilly over enough as a singles guy. You are giving this guy a world title shot in what is, at worst, your 4th biggest show of the year. You can't give him ONE meaningful singles win first? Not one? You really don't think there's a booking flaw there?

This is example of you deciding you're going to love Ring of Honor no matter what, and if they book something badly you are going to flat out ignore that it's happening. I'm not trying to get you to dislike something that you enjoy - really, I'm not. But if you are going to willfully blind yourself to every single flaw and just deny that there are any problems at all it makes your views hard to take seriously.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I don´t think Kyle it´s a credible world title contender right now, he is just there in the ME to help balance the face-heel dynamic in the match and it´s the least possible wrestler in that match to win the world title and the match is happening because (I think) they couldn´t get their planned ME (Lethal vs Nakamura).

With that said, if you are not giving the title to Kyle, Why do you make him beat Lethal now and not after he beat Cole?

I don´t just love everything and flat out ignore, just don´t see the point in that. Fans are not going to stay quiet during the match because they are not building Kyle enough so you don´t have to pin Lethal just for the sake of it before the match.

For example i agree with you in that they could have booked Elgin vs Kyle and give Kyle a win there, i just don´t like having your world champ losing when it´s not totally necesary.
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

ah the good old days when costing other guys matches and cheating to win was few and far between in ROH.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Take this for what it's worth, but Dave Meltzer noted in the most recent edition of Wrestling Observer Radio that he thinks we're going to see the ROH World Title change hands at The 14th Anniversary Show.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Take this for what it's worth, but Dave Meltzer noted in the most recent edition of Wrestling Observer Radio that he thinks we're going to see the ROH World Title change hands at The 14th Anniversary Show.
Yeah, I would assume Cole's getting the belt as O'Reilly hasn't re-signed and Lethal's deal is almost up. The three-way is a vehicle to transition the belt to Cole without having to do heel vs heel. It makes sense in that respect. They just needed to put five minutes of thought into rehabbing O'Reilly first, but that was too much to ask.

I wonder if they really did plan to do Lethal vs Nakamura on this show - what would have happened then? Maybe Nakamura actually would have won the belt, then dropped it to Cole in Tokyo?
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

If this true and Cole regains the belt (which I'm fine with), does Delirious build a new stable around him?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:If this true and Cole regains the belt (which I'm fine with), does Delirious build a new stable around him?
Not sure. Also, it's not 100% certain that Taven is leaving (although it does seem likely).

If they do go with a new top heel stable around Cole, the most likely candidates are probably Roddy and ANX.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Burnside wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Take this for what it's worth, but Dave Meltzer noted in the most recent edition of Wrestling Observer Radio that he thinks we're going to see the ROH World Title change hands at The 14th Anniversary Show.
Yeah, I would assume Cole's getting the belt as O'Reilly hasn't re-signed and Lethal's deal is almost up. The three-way is a vehicle to transition the belt to Cole without having to do heel vs heel. It makes sense in that respect. They just needed to put five minutes of thought into rehabbing O'Reilly first, but that was too much to ask.
Meltzer said in that same edition of Wrestling Observer Radio that he has the impression that Lethal & reDRagon weren't going anywhere, but he doesn't know for sure (again, take that for what it's worth). Alvarez also mentioned that, when he interviewed Lethal recently, he seemed like a guy who would go to WWE if given the right offer, but loves working with Ring of Honor (and now New Japan) at the moment.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
Burnside wrote:
Meltzer said in that same edition of Wrestling Observer Radio that he has the impression that Lethal & reDRagon weren't going anywhere, but he doesn't know for sure (again, take that for what it's worth). Alvarez also mentioned that, when he interviewed Lethal recently, he seemed like a guy who would go to WWE if given the right offer, but loves working with Ring of Honor (and now New Japan) at the moment.
I don't necessarily think Lethal and reDRagon are leaving. In fact, if I had to guess, I'd say they are all staying. But, nevertheless, in 2016, the ROH belt doesn't belong on people who are not under contract, even if they are not necessarily planning to go anywhere. The Styles thing is an illustration of that. Not sure if you remember how, during the build to Final Battle, people on this board were talking about how it would be just fine to put the ROH title on Styles even though he was under contract to nobody because of the great, trusting relationships he had with ROH and NJPW. It's a business.

Even if they're not super-interested in Jay Lethal, I can absolutely see WWE snapping him up just to screw with ROH if ROH is dumb enough to leave the belt on him if his contract lapses. He'll be on the next available episode of NXT jobbing to Balor in the main event. But I don't think ROH is that dumb.

If they can work out an extension with Lethal prior to March, then by all means keep the belt on him. Otherwise, got to take it off him.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Burnside wrote: I wonder if they really did plan to do Lethal vs Nakamura on this show - what would have happened then? Maybe Nakamura actually would have won the belt, then dropped it to Cole in Tokyo?
Nakamura was staying with NJPW (Him leaving took everybody by surprise) so i guess the idea was to give Nakamura the belt, maybe keep him defending the belt in NJPW and ROH.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:If this true and Cole regains the belt (which I'm fine with), does Delirious build a new stable around him?
I think they are going to let Cole have the belt without a stable but they can have some Mount Rushmore stable with Roddy & Bucks or others if they want.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I don't see ROH putting the Bucks in a heel stable anytime soon. They are going to get cheered against any opponents they face with the possible exception of the Briscoes.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Burnside wrote:
[/quote]

Meltzer said in that same edition of Wrestling Observer Radio that he has the impression that Lethal & reDRagon weren't going anywhere, but he doesn't know for sure (again, take that for what it's worth). Alvarez also mentioned that, when he interviewed Lethal recently, he seemed like a guy who would go to WWE if given the right offer, but loves working with Ring of Honor (and now New Japan) at the moment.[/quote]

I don't necessarily think Lethal and reDRagon are leaving. In fact, if I had to guess, I'd say they are all staying. But, nevertheless, in 2016, the ROH belt doesn't belong on people who are not under contract, even if they are not necessarily planning to go anywhere. The Styles thing is an illustration of that. Not sure if you remember how, during the build to Final Battle, people on this board were talking about how it would be just fine to put the ROH title on Styles even though he was under contract to nobody because of the great, trusting relationships he had with ROH and NJPW. It's a business.

Even if they're not super-interested in Jay Lethal, I can absolutely see WWE snapping him up just to screw with ROH if ROH is dumb enough to leave the belt on him if his contract lapses. He'll be on the next available episode of NXT jobbing to Balor in the main event. But I don't think ROH is that dumb.

If they can work out an extension with Lethal prior to March, then by all means keep the belt on him. Otherwise, got to take it off him.[/quote]

Perfectly said. After the Alberto Del Rio situation, no promotion is going to be caught with their pants down. I don't know what the wrong term plans with Bennett/Taven were but the belts got taken off of them as quickly as they won them. If Del Rio can fuck over AAA, would any booker in their right mind do the same?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Burnside wrote: I don't necessarily think Lethal and reDRagon are leaving. In fact, if I had to guess, I'd say they are all staying. But, nevertheless, in 2016, the ROH belt doesn't belong on people who are not under contract, even if they are not necessarily planning to go anywhere. The Styles thing is an illustration of that. Not sure if you remember how, during the build to Final Battle, people on this board were talking about how it would be just fine to put the ROH title on Styles even though he was under contract to nobody because of the great, trusting relationships he had with ROH and NJPW. It's a business.

If they can work out an extension with Lethal prior to March, then by all means keep the belt on him. Otherwise, got to take it off him.
Yeah, I definitely agree with you on that. The guys who are holding the titles should be under contracts.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

Burnside wrote:
TYFDK wrote:Hopefully they catch it and realize that and between now and the 7 shows until the PPV, put Kyle in winning predicaments in high profile matches.
A good booker could have addressed that problem at this taping, though. Before announcing O'Reilly is getting a world title shot despite not winning anything.
They didn't announced anything, you know it because you read the spoilers.
Delirious knows what happen during the next shows and when the episodes will ends up on TV.
Technically, he can score some big wins before they officially announce the match.
ImageImage