Corino/Whitmer

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
Brada

Re: Corino/Whitmer

Post by Brada »

Is there a point with the Mr.Wrestling III gimmick?

I get that Corino was suspended, fired, whatever, but what's the end game here? Keep this going until Corino-Whitmer finally happens?
ColourMeCurious

Post by ColourMeCurious »

I think its a case of they screwed themselves.

I'm sure they were planning on having Whitmer-Corino in 2014 before BJ got hurt. Then he gets better and Corino is out with neck surgery. Did they shoot the angle with Corino getting suspended before or after he found out about the surgery? If they did it before, then I understand Mr. Wrestling III. Its the Midnight Rider/Dirty Yellow Dog/Mr. America all over again. But how long can they suspend Corino? Maybe Corino isn't going back to commentary after the match. Just a thought....if the match ever happens. I've loved this angle. I know I'm in the minority, and I get everyone's opinions, but I'm at the point that I just want the match to happen so this ends. Corino needs to go back to being a heel manager I see once every three weeks on TV. BJ, well, he is BJ and a helluva heel. Maybe he can do real heel commentary.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

They forgot to make Corino a babyface. His character is a bloated jerk who doesn't care about his son.
ColourMeCurious

Post by ColourMeCurious »

Okay, I'm not the only one that wondered WHY Corino was a babyface. Is BJ that big of a heel that anyone would be a babyface against him, or did the crowd just decide they like Corino?

I think its why I keep going back to Corino being a heel manager when this is all over. Character wise, he tried to destroy the company with S.C.U.M. and helped Adam Page turn against BJ, but we haven't heard anything about Colby (who I think could be a great babyface with the way he sells). His gimmick has always been that he is a shit person. Nice guy outside of the ring, but I'd like an explanation of when or why he was turned babyface. Hell, he even cheated against his best friend, Steen, in his last match.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

The "Mr Wrestling III" gimmick is awful. It's almost as obvious as the Brooklyn Brawler's MVP gimmick in the 90's and shouldn't even work with an elementary school audience. If I get fired from my job and show up the next day with a mask, you think people won't know it's me?
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

STITCHES wrote:The "Mr Wrestling III" gimmick is awful. It's almost as obvious as the Brooklyn Brawler's MVP gimmick in the 90's and shouldn't even work with an elementary school audience. If I get fired from my job and show up the next day with a mask, you think people won't know it's me?
If they can't see your face, no.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

STITCHES wrote:The "Mr Wrestling III" gimmick is awful. It's almost as obvious as the Brooklyn Brawler's MVP gimmick in the 90's and shouldn't even work with an elementary school audience. If I get fired from my job and show up the next day with a mask, you think people won't know it's me?
The idea - I think - isn't that Nigel and ROH are fooled by the Wrestling III gimmick. It's that the Wrestling III gimmick gives them plausible deniability because they didn't really want to punish Corino in the first place. It would help if Whitmer would point this out.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Yes, it would. That's where I get a little lost on some of these story lines. If only there was some evidence that ROH is in on their own joke.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

corino is able to wrestle....so put this fucking match soon and end this fucking feud
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Monster Mafia, are you posting from an iPhone or something?
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

That's how he always types. You get used to it.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

THAT IS MY STYLE BROS! 8-)
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Burnside wrote:
The idea - I think - isn't that Nigel and ROH are fooled by the Wrestling III gimmick. It's that the Wrestling III gimmick gives them plausible deniability because they didn't really want to punish Corino in the first place. It would help if Whitmer would point this out.
This is the gimmick.
Brada

Post by Brada »

The end is near.
Brada

Post by Brada »

oooohhhhh.....the flash drive!
Vanilla Gorilla

Post by Vanilla Gorilla »

flash drive contents:

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

Brada wrote:Is there a point with the Mr.Wrestling III gimmick?

I get that Corino was suspended, fired, whatever, but what's the end game here? Keep this going until Corino-Whitmer finally happens?
You get get rib tickler moments such as the superkick counter that cost 6 grand :D [cornette]
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

If they had done all of this in far more condensed time frame, without all this wrestling 3 business this angle really could have worked especially at the time with Colby being around it could have really added to Corino trying to move Colby away from the Decade. Also with Adam filming the entire thing it's just silly now.

Sadly now though it's just far to drawn out and the blow off will never be as big as has to be, well unless they just go full blown nuts one last time in their careers and in the end have a no rope bard wire match with lots of blood just make to go wow that really had something in end.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

BurningHammer wrote:If they had done all of this in far more condensed time frame, without all this wrestling 3 business this angle really could have worked especially at the time with Colby being around it could have really added to Corino trying to move Colby away from the Decade. Also with Adam filming the entire thing it's just silly now.

Sadly now though it's just far to drawn out and the blow off will never be as big as has to be, well unless they just go full blown nuts one last time in their careers and in the end have a no rope bard wire match with lots of blood just make to go wow that really had something in end.
I think a no rope barbed wire match might kill both guys at this point in their lives.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
BurningHammer wrote:If they had done all of this in far more condensed time frame, without all this wrestling 3 business this angle really could have worked especially at the time with Colby being around it could have really added to Corino trying to move Colby away from the Decade. Also with Adam filming the entire thing it's just silly now.

I think a no rope barbed wire match might kill both guys at this point in their lives.
I'm sure it would and it's a very extreme example of the point I wanted to make, but it see it as if they want people to buy into the end of this it's got to be with idea that's it's career threatening else it will end up like the San Antonio Street fight which just goes limply into the either of ROH history.