ROH Reloaded Tour (Wheeling, WV 9/27) Spoilers Thread

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
Jack

Re: ROH Reloaded Tour (Wheeling, WV 9/27) Spoilers Thread

Post by Jack »

What's wrong with CC on commentary? Last couple of episodes the (DBD weekend shows) he's been pretty good.
WHG

Post by WHG »

A few random notes from the tapings:

- Prince Nana's tag team has been well described here. Didn't catch a name (not even sure it was announced) & I've never seen them before. Actually they reminded me of Truth Martini's Guardians of Truth masked tag team from an NYC show (I think the last Manhattan Mayhem?). Would be willing to bet it's the same guys.

- Cole vs. Alexander was the match of the night for sure.

- Styles vs. Sydal was really good but felt a few minutes short, although after that long a taping it was hard to tell. Crowd was really into it, with people standing almost the entire match.

- AJ is worth every penny that US promoters pay him to appear. The Autograph session was him, Sydal, Bennett, Maria, and Lethal. AJ's line was consistently 10x+ as long as anyone else's including Sydal. By far the most over guy on the show by reaction, as well.

- Not sure how ROH will feel about the crowd, it was in the 900-1000 range I would say. The floor was full, but not quite the full set up they'd have in some venues (4 rows on 2 sides and 5 rows on the other 2 sides). In GA one section was completely full and a good part of 2 others were well-populated, with a few fans scattered in the upper deck. It was a good crowd and should look good on TV with pipe & drape and lighting. For the first time in the city, it was a great showing. From a fan's perspective, it was a very comfortable venue. Atmosphere was good, but was hurt a little by the relative size. I have to believe it's the largest indoor venue they've ever run. From that perpective I'm not sure if they were expecting a bigger crowd (with Styles vs Sydal) or not. The final note on attendance is that WWE ran a house show in Youngstown, OH which likely drew away some fans.

- I agree with the comments that the Honor Rumble was better than previous ones. Not a great match, but a fun change of pace that advanced the Kingdom storyline and had a couple storylines throughout the match.

- Bennett vs Briscoe wasn't a wrestling classic, but was a good match and both guys worked hard. Not sure what happened, but Briscoe got legit busted open on the top/back of his head early in the match. Not much blood, but his hair was noticeably bloody. I oddly found myself biting on one near-fall (after Bennett hit the piledriver behind Todd Sinclair's back) despite knowing there was no chance he'd win (one of the benefits of the change at ASE6 is putting the thought in your mind that a change could happen).

- Briscoe carries himself like a such a star/champion. I was in Dearborn (the first full taping after Elgin won) and thought there was a BIG difference between how Jay came off here and how Elgin did there. Then again, the Briscoes always get that reaction...but it was something I noticed as a big contrast.

- Taven got NO reaction (a good part of the crowd didn't know who he was). I expected them to introduce him by teasing the "Matt" return live and having him come out instead, but he just did a run in and took his dress shirt off to reveal a Kingdom T-shirt. Despite the lack of reaction, this should be good for him. He came out later in his gear for another segment and looks 100x better in this gimmick. He has a slicked back ponytail now (less frizz) and the red Kindgdom gear like Cole & Bennett (with TAVEN on the back of his trunks). I can't overstate how much less indy he looked.

- Not sure what's up with the Decade. TD is definitely out after hitting Jacobs with a chair, but he didn't appear on the couple episodes in the following weeks at all. The Roddy angle continued and they teased a full break-up, but Jacobs seemingly smoothed it over. The last episode had Page & Whitmer teaming, but only JJ was at ringside with them. Roddy continued to work as a heel, jawing with fans at ringside during the taping...so it's a slow face turn if that's what's happening.

- Sound was bad in the large building, but Ciampa's reinstatement segment was good. Very real-feeling promo about how he's been pushed down the card since FB and was sick of it...and insinuated that Nigel was a pussy for quitting. Not sure where it's leading, though, because after Briscoe came out to confront him & accept his challenge...the Kingdom attacked Jay again (they laid him out twice during these tapings). Hopefully it's a longer arc story that gives us Ciampa vs Briscoe for more than just a TV match.

- Cole is so good I'm glad to see him back in the World title picture, but it's a little odd considering Ladder War should have ended their fued. That said, maybe the anti-climactic feel of that match and all of the BS interference left the door open for them to re-ignite their fued...which was by far the most prominent angle/tone throughout these 4 tapings.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

Judging from these spoilers I'm thinking ROH is confident that Cole is not going anywhere in the coming year. He's all over and I think it's clear he's taking back the title from Jay Briscoe at Final Battle.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I'm going to assume AJ Styles vs. Jay Bricoe and Adam Cole vs. either Michael Bennett or Tommaso Ciampa for Final Battle. I don't see anyway AJ Styles doesn't main event Final Battle.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I'm betting Ciampa wins SOTF to get his title shot, since Nigel won't just give him one.

Is ROH really growing at such a rapid pace that a good portion of a live audience doesn't know who Matt Taven is? I get that there will be some first timers especially with Sydal vs Styles, but Taven was heavily featured on TV for the past year and has only been gone barely more than a month. After his less than ideal TV title run and drawn out feud with Lethal I think it's more the case of people just not caring.

Styles should main event Final Battle, but I don't think it's a given. Styles is very protected by NJPW, so unless he's winning the World Title I think there's a decent chance he won't be in the title match.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Jack wrote:What's wrong with CC on commentary? Last couple of episodes the (DBD weekend shows) he's been pretty good.
Sounds way too Southern.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

So Cheeseburger tweeted out this photo using the hashtag #BloodboundWarriors and then the Twitter name @crap4face, which leads to a profile of a wrestling named Danny Cage, who owns the Monster Factory.

LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

dhads7161 wrote:
Jack wrote:What's wrong with CC on commentary? Last couple of episodes the (DBD weekend shows) he's been pretty good.
Sounds way too Southern.
Bah Gawd King
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

TYFDK wrote:So Cheeseburger tweeted out this photo using the hashtag #BloodboundWarriors and then the Twitter name @crap4face, which leads to a profile of a wrestling named Danny Cage, who owns the Monster Factory.

Did Hanson have children with Tatanka and Demolition?
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Holy cow. You guys weren't kidding about them being a couple of muscled up freaks.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

WHG wrote:A few random notes from the tapings:

- Bennett vs Briscoe wasn't a wrestling classic, but was a good match and both guys worked hard. Not sure what happened, but Briscoe got legit busted open on the top/back of his head early in the match. Not much blood, but his hair was noticeably bloody. I oddly found myself biting on one near-fall (after Bennett hit the piledriver behind Todd Sinclair's back) despite knowing there was no chance he'd win (one of the benefits of the change at ASE6 is putting the thought in your mind that a change could happen).
Yeah, that was the moment I thought it might happen as well since it was a low blow followed by the 'banned' piledriver, and then Sinclair turned the instant Bennett fell on top of Jay rather than usual several second pause giving Jay time to recover and kick out. It also helped that they showed Cole upset at Bennett for even getting the shot. A title change would have sent him into full meltdown mode and then you'd have had *everyone* on the roster out to kill Bennett just to get the title off him. :)
WHG wrote: - Not sure what's up with the Decade. TD is definitely out after hitting Jacobs with a chair, but he didn't appear on the couple episodes in the following weeks at all. The Roddy angle continued and they teased a full break-up, but Jacobs seemingly smoothed it over. The last episode had Page & Whitmer teaming, but only JJ was at ringside with them. Roddy continued to work as a heel, jawing with fans at ringside during the taping...so it's a slow face turn if that's what's happening.
One thing I noticed since Page was looking my way a lot was I think he's really being played up now as swallowing the kool aid and becoming more vicious. BJ and Jacobs' really went out of their way to show him their approval every time he did something violent. If the break up is violent I suspect it'll be heel vs. heel. Roddy does his best work as a heel anyway.
sg86

Post by sg86 »

Really enjoyed the tapings. The only issue I had was that they were a bit long. First time I've ever been to a proper TV taping and man, people weren't kidding. They'd have been fine had they taken the intermission in the middle, but doing it after the third episode pissed a bunch of people off.

As for the matches, Cole-Cedric was fucking phenomenal. Styles-Sydal was great, but in more of a WWE/NJPW style, which is perfectly fine in a vacuum, but isn't really the best choice to end a 4.5 hour taping.

The Honor Rumble was probably the best I've seen yet. They did a superb job tying multiple storylines into the match and everything seemed to come off really well.

The title match episode was really good. The Tag Title match was underwhelming for that division but otherwise good. Ferrara did a good job in the TV title match and IMO made the Lethal Injection look better than it ever has (which admittedly doesn't say much, but still). They did a great job with the world title match in that a strictly wrestling match with Jay and Bennett would've been a dud, so they really let them get dirty with it, which helped tremendously.

Each episode has a great main event. The third episode was great in full and the others had underwhelming but solid undercards.

I'd put attendance at 700-850. Wouldn't be surprised if it were more than that. The floor at max capacity was set up for roughly 400 and there were only a few empty chairs. I was in GA so couldn't get a good look at the entirety of the section, but I'd say it at least doubled whatever was on the floor.

As for the arena itself, despite being old and dated, it's probably the nicest traditional venue ROH has ever run and would probably be a good fit for a second traditional PPV if they ever decided to go that route.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

TYFDK wrote:So Cheeseburger tweeted out this photo using the hashtag #BloodboundWarriors and then the Twitter name @crap4face, which leads to a profile of a wrestling named Danny Cage, who owns the Monster Factory.

Those guys DEFINITELY are not The Headbangers/Guardians of Truth. Jesus Steroids Christ, Cung Le would be envious.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

The Bloodbound Warriors, Red Scorpion & Grey Wolf.
We know now why they named the professional wrestling school "Monster Factory".
ImageImage