Surprise match announced for SITS?

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
WrestlingMatters

Re: Surprise match announced for SITS?

Post by WrestlingMatters »

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:While it might not be match of the night, it will give Bennett a big boost.
Which he doesn't deserve, but hey you can watch that match if you like crappy wrestlers. (Sarcasm!)
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

WrestlingMatters wrote:
ROHWorld_Steven wrote:While it might not be match of the night, it will give Bennett a big boost.
Which he doesn't deserve, but hey you can watch that match if you like crappy wrestlers. (Sarcasm!)
Maybe, maybe not. If not Bennett, who would you put Storm in with?
WrestlingMatters

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:
WrestlingMatters wrote:
Good question, Elgin would be a great choice especially on his push towards a title shot.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

WrestlingMatters wrote:
ROHWorld_Steven wrote:
WrestlingMatters wrote: Which he doesn't deserve, but hey you can watch that match if you like crappy wrestlers. (Sarcasm!)
Good question, Elgin would be a great choice especially on his push towards a title shot.
The only three guys that would fit, in my opinion, are Bennett, Elgin and Ciampa.

Ciampa will be TV Champ by then so he should be defending the strap. I can see where you're coming from with Elgin but he's been getting so many wins that a victory over Storm (especially when Elgin is much the stronger and more formidable looking guy and would look like the favourite) wouldn't do much for him in my opinion. So that just leaves Bennett.

Bennett fits this match as he needs a boost after being on a downwards slope for the past couple of months. They can play off his cocky 'I don't owe veterans anything' persona to really rile Storm up. And when Bennett wins, hopefully he'll win cleanly and that will give him some more credibility.
WrestlingMatters

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:The only three guys that would fit, in my opinion, are Bennett, Elgin and Ciampa.

Ciampa will be TV Champ by then so he should be defending the strap. I can see where you're coming from with Elgin but he's been getting so many wins that a victory over Storm (especially when Elgin is much the stronger and more formidable looking guy and would look like the favourite) wouldn't do much for him in my opinion. So that just leaves Bennett.

Bennett fits this match as he needs a boost after being on a downwards slope for the past couple of months. They can play off his cocky 'I don't owe veterans anything' persona to really rile Storm up. And when Bennett wins, hopefully he'll win cleanly and that will give him some more credibility.
I would've preferred if he faced Edwards or Steen, I don't really understand why Bennett deserves to be on the roster (he doesn't by the way) and Ciampa is even worse in my estimation. In the four corner survival at SOTF Ciampa screwed up so many times it was unreal, how these two get a job in a supposed WRESTLING company is beyond me.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

WrestlingMatters wrote:
ROHWorld_Steven wrote:The only three guys that would fit, in my opinion, are Bennett, Elgin and Ciampa.

I would've preferred if he faced Edwards or Steen, I don't really understand why Bennett deserves to be on the roster (he doesn't by the way) and Ciampa is even worse in my estimation. In the four corner survival at SOTF Ciampa screwed up so many times it was unreal, how these two get a job in a supposed WRESTLING company is beyond me.
I'm guessing you would have hated when Michael Shane or Jimmy Rave debuted.
WrestlingMatters

JustSkiff wrote:I'm guessing you would have hated when Michael Shane or Jimmy Rave debuted.
Why?
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

Because they wrestled a style very similar to that which Bennett and I guess Ciampa wrestle.
WrestlingMatters

JustSkiff wrote:Because they wrestled a style very similar to that which Bennett and I guess Ciampa wrestle.
Jimmy Rave is a much better wrestler than both guys, I've seen pre-ROH Rave and yes he wasn't the greatest in the world but he was much younger than Bennett & Ciampa are now, I believe he was 20 years old when he debuted. I've seen a lot of Michael Shane and while I'm not a huge fan of his I would still take him over B&C from an in ring perspective.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

You're watching those guys in hindsight, and it's not the same. Ciampa and Bennett both have potential to be strong heels, which ROH has always lacked.
WrestlingMatters

JustSkiff wrote:You're watching those guys in hindsight, and it's not the same. Ciampa and Bennett both have potential to be strong heels, which ROH has always lacked.
The first time I watched a Jimmy Rave match was December 2010 so it's not in hindsight at all. Where is the potential these guys have? They've been there over a year and have shown nothing in the ring.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

It took Rave about 3 years to show potential.
WrestlingMatters

JustSkiff wrote:It took Rave about 3 years to show potential.
The great 8-man tag at Generation Next was in his first year, his feuds with Punk and AJ were within his first two years and the Punk feud within his first 50 matches. Bennett has had 42 matches in ROH and done nothing anywhere near that level.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

WrestlingMatters wrote:
JustSkiff wrote:It took Rave about 3 years to show potential.
The great 8-man tag at Generation Next was in his first year, his feuds with Punk and AJ were within his first two years and the Punk feud within his first 50 matches. Bennett has had 42 matches in ROH and done nothing anywhere near that level.
When you put the first couple of years of their ROH tenures side by side, Raves body of work pisses all over Bennetts, that also down to the booking and the quality of opponents.

Rave had so much more potential than Bennett (I say this as a Bennett fan) but he failed to live up to it, he never went above the upper-midcard. I dont think Bennett will either, whereas I believe Ciampa has the tools to be a main eventer.
WrestlingMatters

classic-cabana wrote:When you put the first couple of years of their ROH tenures side by side, Raves body of work pisses all over Bennetts, that also down to the booking and the quality of opponents.

Rave had so much more potential than Bennett (I say this as a Bennett fan) but he failed to live up to it, he never went above the upper-midcard. I dont think Bennett will either, whereas I believe Ciampa has the tools to be a main eventer.
Have to agree with most of this but I don't think Ciampa has the tools at all.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

WrestlingMatters wrote:
classic-cabana wrote:When you put the first couple of years of their ROH tenures side by side, Raves body of work pisses all over Bennetts, that also down to the booking and the quality of opponents.

Have to agree with most of this but I don't think Ciampa has the tools at all.
Ciampa hasnt been too exposed yet, he's effectively squashing a lot of guys and he's being booked pretty well right now. He has the intensity to be a decent heel, and I think he'd add something different to the top level, I personally think he needs to get rid of the Embassy.

I suppose his title match v Lethal will be the big test and a clear indication of good he is and how confident ROH are of pushing him.
WrestlingMatters

classic-cabana wrote:Ciampa hasnt been too exposed yet, he's effectively squashing a lot of guys and he's being booked pretty well right now. He has the intensity to be a decent heel, and I think he'd add something different to the top level, I personally think he needs to get rid of the Embassy.

I suppose his title match v Lethal will be the big test and a clear indication of good he is and how confident ROH are of pushing him.
When his matches haven't been squashes I think he's struggled, maybe he's trying to be too intense or maybe he's just trying too hard. TV Title match will be a test that I hope he's up to. Ciampa should be with Brutal Bob and Bennett should be in the Embassy, that would compliment their personas a lot more.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

WrestlingMatters wrote:
classic-cabana wrote:Ciampa hasnt been too exposed yet, he's effectively squashing a lot of guys and he's being booked pretty well right now. He has the intensity to be a decent heel, and I think he'd add something different to the top level, I personally think he needs to get rid of the Embassy.

When his matches haven't been squashes I think he's struggled, maybe he's trying to be too intense or maybe he's just trying too hard. TV Title match will be a test that I hope he's up to. Ciampa should be with Brutal Bob and Bennett should be in the Embassy, that would compliment their personas a lot more.
Definately agree with that, Ciampa seems to intense a guy to be with a entourage/money men, whereas that would suit Bennett perfectly