2/22/14 TV Tapings

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
Tim

Re: 2/22/14 TV Tapings

Post by Tim »

Baxter Stockman wrote:I don't know why Brutal Burgers is still a thing.
Me neither.
Baxter Stockman

Post by Baxter Stockman »

The 4th man in the 4CS with Taven/Young/Coleman was Takaaki Watanabe from New Japan, which I think is pretty awesome.

I've been wanting ROH to start taking in young lions from Japan for learning excursions.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

Elgin vs AJ is ongoing at the moment.
brian

Post by brian »

Time limit draw, is there another episode, or just 3 tonight?
Wedge

Post by Wedge »

I'm excited about the Ladder War.
Interesting fact. On May 19, 2012 Jay Briscoe's one on one record in ROH was 19-37-3, since then Jay has not lost a one on one match and is 15-0. If he does not lose before Supercard he will have made it almost 2 years without a loss.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

A 30 minute AJ Styles/Michael Elgin match sounds absolutely fantastic.
Baxter Stockman

Post by Baxter Stockman »

At some point I hope Styles actually does a job for someone.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

According to several reports, Elgin/AJ was "incredible", "MOTYC" etc. Sounds like an amazing way to close out an amazing weekend for ROH.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

It's a shame we won't be able to see it in full.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

It would be great if perhaps they could upload the full version onto YouTube once the episode airs. Or maybe even include it as an extra on the 12th Anniversary DVD.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Wow! Sounds like there's going to be some really great stuff on this next set of episodes.
Seriously, every time ROH makes an announcement, has a show, etc. it tops whatever the last one was.
Also cool that they followed up on today's big NJPW announcement right away by getting a young NJPW wrestler in on the 4-way.
Next set of shows is "Raising the Bar," which is pretty much the theme of ROH at the moment. After what sounds like a great weekend of action and huge announcements, they'll have their work cut out for them. But with the already announced matches and wrestlers, I think they'll have every opportunity of making it a reality. I'm so excited to be an ROH fan right now!
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote: Next set of shows is "Raising the Bar," which is pretty much the theme of ROH at the moment. After what sounds like a great weekend of action and huge announcements, they'll have their work cut out for them. But with the already announced matches and wrestlers, I think they'll have every opportunity of making it a reality. I'm so excited to be an ROH fan right now!
Best time in a while to be a fan. It'll cool off at some point, even the Golden Era ended eventually, but for now best to enjoy it while we can.
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

Hey, Just got back from the tapings and thought it was great. The 4 best matches are the ones listed below and those are the star ratings. Every match was at least fun but most of them were good just like how the ROH TV has been.

Styles vs. Elgin ****1/4
Briscoes vs. Cole and Bennett ***3/4
Ciampa vs. Lethal ****
Adrenaline Rush and Everett vs. The Decade ***1/4
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Is anyone a bit surprised a NJPW wrestler debuted on the show completely unannounced?
JSP

Post by JSP »

YimYac wrote:Is anyone a bit surprised a NJPW wrestler debuted on the show completely unannounced?
Not really. It's not like he's a big player in the company or anything.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Yeah I believe Watanabe was sent to the states towards the end of last year for a several month learning excursion. Wouldn't mind him appearing on a few of the cards ROH has coming up. Could provide us with a few fresh matches.

Also, any word on the attendance for the TV Tapings?
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Awesome tapings, really love the time limit draw, would be so epic if Elgin vs Styles happens again when Elgin is champ and they tear the house down.
ROH is really on a roll, loving everything they do right now!
#BestCompanyInUSA
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
MattMinus

Post by MattMinus »

Elgin/Styles was absolutely amazing, and the crowd response was electric. The time limit draw was really a perfect way to book this match.
The only thing I didn't like was putting the tag champs against cheeseburger and letting him get offense, 2 counts, etc. It just made the champs look incredibly weak for that to be anything other than a 30 second squash. Cheeseburger is so incredibly small that he makes Spike Dudley look like a giant, and everyone in the crowd, including largish children, know that they could kick his ass, so it really destroys suspension of disbelief.

One thing that really impressed me was what a class act Styles was after teh match. Rather than circling the ring and slapping hands with the fans, he gave everyone a good, firm handshake while responding to our praise by saying things like "you gotta go all out when you're in Philly". It's a small thing, but it definitely made everyone in my group a huge Styles mark. They left a lot of money on the table by not having his merch for sale after that match.
Last edited by MattMinus on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattMinus

Post by MattMinus »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Yeah I believe Watanabe was sent to the states towards the end of last year for a several month learning excursion. Wouldn't mind him appearing on a few of the cards ROH has coming up. Could provide us with a few fresh matches.

Also, any word on the attendance for the TV Tapings?
Attendance was not very high. I was at the same venue last year for one of Tommy Dreamer's HoH shows and there were a lot more people for that. The venue has bleachers along the walls that RoH didn't use, so it was just a few rows of ~20 folding chairs on each side of the ring.

They looked like they sold all of the limited seating they had, so I don't know if they just didn't make many tickets available (maybe the high school gym style bleachers that pull out of the wall look like crap on tv?) or if they just can;t draw the way that dreamer does in Philly.

In any event the crowd was really hot and into the show pretty much the whole way. There were a lot of kids there, and they were reacting to AJ Styles as if he was John Cena, which was surprising to me.
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

There was 5 rows of around 20 people on each side of the ring and some random people standing around the arena or in random chairs. I'd say like 400 people probably. Maybe a little more.