TV Tapings 01/04/14

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
TYFDK

Re: TV Tapings 01/04/14

Post by TYFDK »

For what it's worth, there's only one tag match out of four weeks worth of TV.
JSP

Post by JSP »

Bennett hasn't had a match better than FB with Steen. He's not superstar potential. Adam Cole is; he can have elite matches and cut elite promos. Kevin Steen--provided he got in shape--has elite matches and cuts elite promos. Jay Lethal has more of an "it" factor than Bennett; he consistently has better matches than Bennett. Ciampa has been in ROH the same amount of time and has surpassed Bennett in every way, even with a torn ACL.

This isn't me going all "Bennett sucks" on you but you're claiming he has all these great matches when most of them just pass for decent. The BJ Whitmer matches weren't very good, the Steen matches weren't anything until Final Battle, he had one good match with Mike Mondo, a good series with Lance Storm...and what else? His promos aren't anything special either. He can talk, but there are better promo guys up and down the ROH roster.

You're not really selling anybody on Bennett. Oh so he has a good body? Cool! So does Cole, Elgin, BJ Whitmer, Tommaso Ciampa, ACH, Tadarius Thomas, Bobby Fish, Kyle O'Reilly, etc. That's irrelevant when you have a roster containing those aforementioned wrestlers. Kevin Steen markets himself better on the indies, the Bucks market themselves better, etc. That's irrelevant too. Those examples don't really make sense. Maria has made a lot of Bennett's stories better. She got superkicked and felt up by Shelton Benjamin at SCOH, talks for Bennett, and does all this stuff because she has more drawing power than Bennett does.

No one is dogging his effort but better guys are lower on the card, with more of an "it factor" (ACH for example) and with a better track record than Bennett has. Until you give better examples of how great Bennett is, I fail to understand how he's so primed for success. He could go on to main event Wrestlemania, but he couldn't cut it in WWE with guys like Punk, Bryan, Cena at the top in WWE and NXT guys like Kalisto, Solomon Crowe, Sami Zayn, Adrian Neville. Name a classic Bennett had (which a lot of guys I've already mentioned HAVE had) and I'll retract. Because there isn't much of significance Mike's done besides nearly killing BJ Whitmer.
Braggis

Post by Braggis »

^ Exactly.

Bennet is good but nowhere near great. He'd have gotten lost in the shuffle LONG ago if he didn't have a former WWE Diva on his arm, getting heat for him and cutting 99.5% of his promos for him because shes more over than he is.

Hes been pushed HARD in the past and could never get himself over. They tried giving him two managers to make him look like a big deal... nobody cared. They gave him victories over top guys like Steen and The Wolves... nobody cared.

The first time anybody really talked about him or mentioned his name was because he fucked up and nearly paralyzed someone.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

JSP wrote:Bennett hasn't had a match better than FB with Steen. He's not superstar potential. Adam Cole is; he can have elite matches and cut elite promos. Kevin Steen--provided he got in shape--has elite matches and cuts elite promos. Jay Lethal has more of an "it" factor than Bennett; he consistently has better matches than Bennett. Ciampa has been in ROH the same amount of time and has surpassed Bennett in every way, even with a torn ACL.

This isn't me going all "Bennett sucks" on you but you're claiming he has all these great matches when most of them just pass for decent. The BJ Whitmer matches weren't very good, the Steen matches weren't anything until Final Battle, he had one good match with Mike Mondo, a good series with Lance Storm...and what else? His promos aren't anything special either. He can talk, but there are better promo guys up and down the ROH roster.

You're not really selling anybody on Bennett. Oh so he has a good body? Cool! So does Cole, Elgin, BJ Whitmer, Tommaso Ciampa, ACH, Tadarius Thomas, Bobby Fish, Kyle O'Reilly, etc. That's irrelevant when you have a roster containing those aforementioned wrestlers. Kevin Steen markets himself better on the indies, the Bucks market themselves better, etc. That's irrelevant too. Those examples don't really make sense. Maria has made a lot of Bennett's stories better. She got superkicked and felt up by Shelton Benjamin at SCOH, talks for Bennett, and does all this stuff because she has more drawing power than Bennett does.

No one is dogging his effort but better guys are lower on the card, with more of an "it factor" (ACH for example) and with a better track record than Bennett has. Until you give better examples of how great Bennett is, I fail to understand how he's so primed for success. He could go on to main event Wrestlemania, but he couldn't cut it in WWE with guys like Punk, Bryan, Cena at the top in WWE and NXT guys like Kalisto, Solomon Crowe, Sami Zayn, Adrian Neville. Name a classic Bennett had (which a lot of guys I've already mentioned HAVE had) and I'll retract. Because there isn't much of significance Mike's done besides nearly killing BJ Whitmer.
PREACH!
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

Elgin has a good body?
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
JSP

Post by JSP »

DanielBryanson wrote:Elgin has a good body?
Oh stop. Aside from his freakishly stubby legs, the guy looks like a juggernaut. Credibility 101, brother.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Spoiler: show
187_Joeism wrote:Image
Cheeseburger ‏@CheeseburgerROH

Update: It took a few days but I can finally fully open up my left eye again
He also tweeted that he has a concussion from the match
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

Wrestling Observer is reporting 800 as the attendance.
Braggis

Post by Braggis »

YimYac wrote:
Spoiler: show
187_Joeism wrote:Image
Cheeseburger ‏@CheeseburgerROH

Update: It took a few days but I can finally fully open up my left eye again
He also tweeted that he has a concussion from the match
How does this guy honestly expect to be a wrestler? I knows hes training and whatnot in exchange for being on the ring crew but, come on.

Guy weighs like 115 fucking pounds and can botch taking a bodyslam. Hes unusually sloppy. Hes been training AT LEAST a year, since he showed up last February on RoH TV when Charlie Haas beat him up. And he still can't take moves or handle the mic whatsoever.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Is he supposed to be taken seriously ? I don't think so.

The guy can fill a spot in a comedy tag team and he does just that with Brutal Burgers, where his inexperience isn't exposed. In singles, he'll be nothing more than enhancement talent and a punching ball on legs to feed whoever they wanna push.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Thelone wrote:Is he supposed to be taken seriously ? I don't think so.

The guy can fill a spot in a comedy tag team and he does just that with Brutal Burgers, where his inexperience isn't exposed. In singles, he'll be nothing more than enhancement talent and a punching ball on legs to feed whoever they wanna push.
ie: Bobby Dempsey. At least that was what Dempsey should have been used for after he broke away since he had no discernable wrestling talent. There was some preshow gauntlet he did where every guy he wrestled looked as good as, if not better than, him.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Thelone wrote:Is he supposed to be taken seriously ? I don't think so.

Pretty much this. I see Adrenaline Rush moving up in the tag division with the Wolves and C&C gone while Brutal Burgers takes over their role. I haven't seen anything sloppy from him as Braggis stated. I enjoyed his debut at Night of Hoopla and the ringside exclusive tag match.
Braggis

Post by Braggis »

I realize Cheeseburger is a comedy wrestler. Thats why its so unusual he'd have a singles match in the Top Prospect Tournament.

The tournament is meant to give some strong Indie guys a shot to see if they can get over and deserve to stick around a while, like ACH and Taven last year. It feels like a waste filling that spot with a comedy Face who is already signed there.

The thing with Cheeseburger, and I'm sure hes a nice guy, but he doesn't even work as a Jobber because Jobbers need to look SOMEWHAT good, or else its not impressive when they get beat.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

JSP wrote:Bennett hasn't had a match better than FB with Steen. He's not superstar potential. Adam Cole is; he can have elite matches and cut elite promos. Kevin Steen--provided he got in shape--has elite matches and cuts elite promos. Jay Lethal has more of an "it" factor than Bennett; he consistently has better matches than Bennett. Ciampa has been in ROH the same amount of time and has surpassed Bennett in every way, even with a torn ACL.

This so much! Bennett doesn't have anything that makes him jump out, neither his look or promo skills nor his in-ring skills, he's just solid. I don't know who wrote that, but him being on Wrestlemania is pretty much the most rediculous statement I've seen in a long time, the guy can be happy ROH is booking him, I highly doubt he'd get a job in any of the bigger promotions.
If the only thing people remember about you is that you almost killed Whitmer, that should tell you you will never amount to much in this business.

Right now there are so many talented guys on the undercard and guys like Everett, Hollis, Rowe, Hanson might be soon added to the roster, and all 4 of them right now are better than Bennett, and it took Bennett 3 years to be solid. But he's hit the top of the ceiling, while guys like Cedric Alexander, Silas Young or ACH have the potential to be big time players in ROH. Delirious shouldn't waste time pushing Bennett too much, when you have so many talented guys on the undercard that are waiting for their opportunity and have so much more potential than Bennett ever will have.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Warbot

Post by Warbot »

for 3 weeks I saw commercials of Jay Lethal Hyping ROHTV on this station [My local NBC] I was so ready to watch it even if it's at 1 am sunday. Then my cable network decides to have a problem with My Nbc and kick it off the line up..So I had to buy a tv antenna [20 bucks] find the right spot..and IT WAS WORTH IT! WOW..I wish the show was longer that was my only problem with it. Loved every minute of it can't wait to watch more and more. reminds me of the old days of watching ecw real late at night on tv. finally I can help roh by watching there product on tv.
YES!YES!YES!
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Warbot wrote:for 3 weeks I saw commercials of Jay Lethal Hyping ROHTV on this station [My local NBC] I was so ready to watch it even if it's at 1 am sunday. Then my cable network decides to have a problem with My Nbc and kick it off the line up..So I had to buy a tv antenna [20 bucks] find the right spot..and IT WAS WORTH IT! WOW..I wish the show was longer that was my only problem with it. Loved every minute of it can't wait to watch more and more. reminds me of the old days of watching ecw real late at night on tv. finally I can help roh by watching there product on tv.
That brings back memories. I'm actually old enough to remember having to use rabbit ears. Especially in college. Nothing like watching grainy wcw when you're hungover (and Kevin Nash was known as Oz, after his Master Blasters gimmick failed). Only early stage internet for text based gaming in the early muds. Yes, you were reading when you gamed online.

You young whippersnappers don't know how great you got it ^_^