ROH Best In The World 2013 card

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
BlackLesnar

Re: ROH Best In The World 2013 card

Post by BlackLesnar »

Mike Adamle wrote:They could always go the other route with the feud too. Ringmaster's challenge II sounds good
That's a lot more fitting. I'd watch it. Not sure if they'd pull out a 30 minute special attraction match for a midcard feud that's only just starting, though. I'd like it if they did, regardless.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

so what do you gusy think, what are the chances they bring in someobody to face the Wolves?
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Zero to none, they brought people for all the iPPVs this year, is a gift not something that you have to take for granted on every iPPV.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

187_Joeism wrote:Zero to none, they brought people for all the iPPVs this year, is a gift not something that you have to take for granted on every iPPV.
that would be a bummer, the card is not that good in my opinon, weakest iPPV of 2013 going by the card that is announced so far.
Only Ciampa v Elgin has the potential to be great, and I am still not convinced Ciampa can go 100% with his knee...
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

This is so stupid. The TV Taping is much, much bigger than iPPV with only two matches. Fans are more emotionally invested in Hardy/Jay than Mark/Jay which is bizzare yet understandable because how random the build-up for this has been. The Steel Cage Warefare is the biggest match ROH has atm. Will BITW be a good show? probably, yes. Will it be something really memorable? not at all. Honestly for me right now the only match that stands out is Ciampa vs Elgin. This one is going to be awesome. Not sure I am even going to order it because I still have to order the 5/18, 1/6, 8/6 house shows.
MOOSE!
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

DieHard wrote:This is so stupid. The TV Taping is much, much bigger than iPPV with only two matches. Fans are more emotionally invested in Hardy/Jay than Mark/Jay which is bizzare yet understandable because how random the build-up for this has been. The Steel Cage Warefare is the biggest match ROH has atm. Will BITW be a good show? probably, yes. Will it be something really memorable? not at all. Honestly for me right now the only match that stands out is Ciampa vs Elgin. This one is going to be awesome. Not sure I am even going to order it because I still have to order the 5/18, 1/6, 8/6 house shows.
I absolutely agree, Steel Cage Warefare should have main evented here, I don't care one bit for Jay vs Mark to be honest, it's just so random.
Still on the fence whether to buy it, thus far sounds to me like a filler iPPV, the recent house shows had more intriguing match ups.
But maybe they have something special for the Wolves...we'll see, it definitely is not living up to the BITW moniker thus far
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

DieHard wrote:This is so stupid. The TV Taping is much, much bigger than iPPV with only two matches.

They're SCUM matches. They are 'bigger' because they have a greater fictional impact on the idyllic fictional world that Cornette & Delirious wrote up. Doesn't make them worth paying to see wrestle. The iPPV has been reserved for exciting matches between wrestlers that fans can tolerate better.

Fans are more emotionally invested in Hardy/Jay than Mark/Jay
Jay/Mark is a match people actually want to see. Jay/Hardy is a match people accept they'll be forced to see. You understand that a lot of that 'emotional investment' is hatred, born from the fact that the match is even happening, yes?

I think that it's a very smart move on ROH's part. Reserve the money matches for the show you pay for. Put the obnoxious storyline guff that most people can take or leave on the free one.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

BlackLesnar wrote:
DieHard wrote:This is so stupid. The TV Taping is much, much bigger than iPPV with only two matches.

They're SCUM matches. They are 'bigger' because they have a greater fictional impact on the idyllic fictional world that Cornette & Delirious wrote up. Doesn't make them worth paying to see wrestle. The iPPV has been reserved for exciting matches between wrestlers that fans can tolerate better.

Fans are more emotionally invested in Hardy/Jay than Mark/Jay
Jay/Mark is a match people actually want to see. Jay/Hardy is a match people accept they'll be forced to see. You understand that a lot of that 'emotional investment' is hatred, born from the fact that the match is even happening, yes?

I think that it's a very smart move on ROH's part. Reserve the money matches for the show you pay for. Put the obnoxious storyline guff that most people can take or leave on the free one.
I don't know. To me, it feels like there's zero hype for Briscoe vs Briscoe. The build-up for this has been nothing interesting and there's no tension between them, which sucks btw because I was really pumped at first when I heard about the match but outside of Jay's great promo in the TV show (which lasted like 2 minutes, but nevermind) there is no reason to care about this.
MOOSE!
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

This is a brother vs brother match between 2 guys that have been in the company since day 1 fighting for the most important belt, how can you hype or build this more than that?
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

Anyone conplaining about Jay vs Mark needs to get a history lesson. It's going to be an amazing match and it doesn't need some big storyline behind it.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

So what? this doesn't mean the build-up should be so lazy. If so they could've just throw the match and expect people will be pumped only based of it's title - Briscoe vs Briscoe.

And I was just as exicted as yall when the match was announced. But I wish that they had like a huge showdown in the taping. Hopefully in the Honor Roll Jay will cut a killer promo.
MOOSE!
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

187_Joeism wrote:This is a brother vs brother match between 2 guys that have been in the company since day 1 fighting for the most important belt, how can you hype or build this more than that?
Plenty of ways.
Last Real Man Hype
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

I agree that the match could use more hype. They've only thrown it in there to extend Jay's reign with a match Jay's reign could really do with having, but it'd have been nice if they would at least pretend there was more to it than that.

Still more hyped for it than Hardy vs Briscoe. On the basis that it isn't Hardy vs Briscoe. Many people are anti-hyped for that one; waiting for it to happen so that it will be over with, cheering for the status quo to stop change from happening.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

187_Joeism wrote:This is a brother vs brother match between 2 guys that have been in the company since day 1 fighting for the most important belt, how can you hype or build this more than that?
That is the problem though, there is NO HYPE to this match, this feels just thrown together so Jay can have another defense. There is no elaborate build-up, no reasoning, just a match thrown together.
Will it be a good match? Yes
Will it be a worthy BITW main event? No, it's not 2007 anymore and I doubt they can go the way the used to at FYF. Steel Cage Warefare would have been the perfect match to make up for this lackluster title match...
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

You living in Europe like me and other would accept 40+ minutes of waiting at a late hour in the night for they to set the cage? That would take all my hype away.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote: That is the problem though, there is NO HYPE to this match, this feels just thrown together so Jay can have another defense. There is no elaborate build-up, no reasoning, just a match thrown together.
Should have kept with Jay vs Elgin.

Although I guess that puts a damper on Jay.

Completely snaps the tension behind Hardy's match too.

Hmm.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

187_Joeism wrote:You living in Europe like me and other would accept 40+ minutes of waiting at a late hour in the night for they to set the cage? That would take all my hype away.
They could easily do the intermission before SCW, I don't see aproblem with that. At least that would give me a reason to stay up in the night and watch live. Right now there's no match on the card that makes me watch the show live
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Strong vs Adam Cole, Elgin vs Ciampa, reDRagon vs C&C and Wolves vs TD & ACH are matches that could make you want to stay up and buy the show if you don´t like the ME.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

187_Joeism wrote:Strong vs Adam Cole, Elgin vs Ciampa, reDRagon vs C&C and Wolves vs TD & ACH are matches that could make you want to stay up and buy the show if you don´t like the ME.
Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to all of these matches and I'll probably buy it due to these matches. But there is not a single match on the card that I HAVE to see live, Steel Cage Warefare would have been a different story.
But alas, I'll probably wait for the reviews before I check out this iPPV.
BTW: Is Wolves vs TD and ACH official? If so, there go my last hopes that at least the Wolves would get special opponents that would make this iPPV special. Definitely the weakest iPPV card from ROH this year
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

One of the best matches Ive ever seen live was Jay vs. Mark in Liverpool, absolutely loved that match and for that reason alone I cannot wait for their title match. If there is going to be that one match that defines Jay's title reign it's going to be this one for sure.

BITW is an incredibly stacked card. Strong vs. Cole is going to be fantastic if their SA match is to go by.

ReDdragon and C&C have the potential to steal the show.

Elgin vs. Ciampa is going to be all kinds of epic, just the entrances alone I cant wait for!

Even better for us Euros he show is on earlier so no crazy staying up/loading up on energy drink effort required!