ROH Maryland 01/07/2012 TV tapings Official Discussion

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Re: ROH Maryland 01/07/2012 TV tapings Official Discussion

Post by JSWO »

cgstong wrote:
WrestlingMatters wrote:
syxxpakk wrote:....wow. Well, OK. I think the taping sounds pretty good, personally. I don't know how I feel about playing on the concussion-storyline (and to think about it, I feel like they wanted to do this last year with Davey after the Roddy-match but forgot about it), but it's neat to see a new wrinkle in the WGTT/Briscoes-feud. It's smart to do the official turn on TV since they screwed up so bad with the feud on iPPV. Also excited to see the ANX/Young Bucks-feud begin and progress.
But Mike Mondo in two matches? Jesus Christ! lol
Mondo is officially on the roster. http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/242890- ... e-revealed

Wait, are you really quoting an article on Wrestlezone attributing something to the Observer from September? Mondo's not officially on the roster.
Admin note: User permanently banned.
steenisAgod

Post by steenisAgod »

cgstong wrote:Forgot to add "Post match promo sets up cole and edwards as new tag team"
They're splitting up Future Shock? If that's the case, that's another of the reasons why I like RoH gone.
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Hard to comment really without seeing it.

But Bennett really should've won the TV title there. That's way too many failed title shots for him. It would've made sense for Bennett to get the belt and Lethal to move to upper card.

Also, I wish Cornette would stop fining people all the time!
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

JSWO wrote:Mondo is actually really talented. I hope he gets some run in ROH. He was the best of any of the Spirit Squad guys from a personality and workrate standpoint(and yes that includes Ziggler and Doane).
Jeter was where I threw my hat. Granted Jeter/Cappotelli was the feud of the year right before he went on to be a part of the Spirit Squad.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

I agree with Harry; Bennett should have won the title. Well, he should have won at Final Battle but still...

And the whole 'fining' thing is stupid. We all know they don't actually do it, just another way ROH is trying to be 'real' but making themselves look ridiculous in the process.

Also, 'Team Ambition'? Good God...
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:I agree with Harry; Bennett should have won the title. Well, he should have won at Final Battle but still...

And the whole 'fining' thing is stupid. We all know they don't actually do it, just another way ROH is trying to be 'real' but making themselves look ridiculous in the process.

Also, 'Team Ambition'? Good God...
F4W and PWInsider say they actually did fine guys, but it was for the unprotected chairshots.

And I'll still be sticking with Team MMAsturbation.

And to keep some positivity here, I thought these tapings sound great. I wanted an Eddie/Cole team and I'm glad the Steen face turn seems to be in fruition.
Last Real Man Hype
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

You know, there's a lot of dissent as it relates to the MMA-influences. But in a lot of ways it's no different than what's done in Japan. So how come all the hate?
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Because instead of focusing on bringing more actual storytelling and selling into his matches, which he severely lacks in, Davey's focusing on doing as many KICKS VS CHOPS~! sequences, MMA-style head kicks, finisher kickouts and fancy submissions as possible, whilst barely selling any of this.
Last Real Man Hype
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

I don't think you would care for Pro Wrestling NOAH :lol:
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

I do like NOAH, but I don't watch their matches as much as Davey's, therefore I don't get annoyed with them. I also find their use of finisher kickouts and strikes less detrimental than his.
Last Real Man Hype
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

Why? It's pretty much the same, really.

You should check out IVP Videos. They have a "Top 25 Matches of NOAH" DVD set that's pretty great or only $25 or $13.50 if you download it.
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

i wouldve liked to have seen like a real angle between Cole and O'Reilly splitting instead of just Davey and Kyle deciding to team up. like Cole being pissed at O'Reilly abandoning Future Shock or something like that. maybe thats to come.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

I think there might have been a missed opportunity for O'Reilly to join the House of Truth here. But I'm interested nonetheless to see where this all goes.
TreeOfWHOA!

Post by TreeOfWHOA! »

syxxpakk wrote:You know, there's a lot of dissent as it relates to the MMA-influences. But in a lot of ways it's no different than what's done in Japan. So how come all the hate?
It's not just Davey using MMA style submission holds and stiff Kicks. That sort of shoot style is puro wrestling at it's finest(as you pointed out). Fof me the MMA ripoff feel has to do with them calling it "Camp Richards" and the long whiny after match promos. Like after his match with Eddie at best in the world was the biggest attempt i've ever seen wrestling try to rip MMA off ever. If Davey was doing all this without Kozina and O'Reilly in his corner wearing MMA style rip off shirts. And talking about training every 2 seconds, i don't think people would be comparing Davey to the UFC.

As for Davey and O'Reilly teaming up thats fine i expected this to happen. But Cole and Edwards? so stupid it is starting to feel like Faction Warfare Davey,Kozina,O'reilly vs Edwards,Cole < All they need to do is add a 3rd. This feud is so stale now i wish they would have just ended the fuckin at Final Battle instead of just dragging it out.
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

I am totally perplexed at the hatred of an MMA influence in pro wrestling being criticized considering how big of an overlap in the audience that love both the human cockfighting and pro wrestling. ROH is trying to present their product as being serious and real like MMA is. That means having camps and teams that represent an ode to MMA. I am completely confused as to why this has become such an issue.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

TreeOfWHOA! wrote:
syxxpakk wrote:You know, there's a lot of dissent as it relates to the MMA-influences. But in a lot of ways it's no different than what's done in Japan. So how come all the hate?
It's not just Davey using MMA style submission holds and stiff Kicks. That sort of shoot style is puro wrestling at it's finest(as you pointed out). Fof me the MMA ripoff feel has to do with them calling it "Camp Richards" and the long whiny after match promos. Like after his match with Eddie at best in the world was the biggest attempt i've ever seen wrestling try to rip MMA off ever. If Davey was doing all this without Kozina and O'Reilly in his corner wearing MMA style rip off shirts. And talking about training every 2 seconds, i don't think people would be comparing Davey to the UFC.

As for Davey and O'Reilly teaming up thats fine i expected this to happen. But Cole and Edwards? so stupid it is starting to feel like Faction Warfare Davey,Kozina,O'reilly vs Edwards,Cole < All they need to do is add a 3rd. This feud is so stale now i wish they would have just ended the fuckin at Final Battle instead of just dragging it out.
But that's another of those things they do in Japan. Kenta Kobashi coming out with KENTA and Tamon Honda, for example.
crimsonmasque

Post by crimsonmasque »

I went to the tapings and thought, top to bottom, it was a strong card. The Richards/O'Reilly vs C&C was an outstanding match.
The crowd was in every match (except of course the dark matches, but even the first dark match, the action was pretty good.)

I couldn't have asked for a better card for my first ever ROH show. I was very impressed.
TreeOfWHOA!

Post by TreeOfWHOA! »

But that's another of those things they do in Japan. Kenta Kobashi coming out with KENTA and Tamon Honda, for example.
You are right they do, but the way it is done in Japan is presented much different in Japan then it is with Team Richards in ROH. When KENTA,Honda and Kobashi they don't try and make it like these guys are from the UFC or any sort of MMA group. Kobashi is the mentor for KENTA and Honda Instead of being booked as Team Kobashi.

Davey was much better as Davey Richards the bad ass that takes no shit and kicks fans hands on his way to the ring. Now we have a winey,crying,howling MMA poser that sometimes sports frosted tips..don't know about you guys but i like my Faces with an edge. And yes the old Davey Richards was a heel but he could have kept the bad ass attitude and still be a face.
I am totally perplexed at the hatred of an MMA influence in pro wrestling being criticized considering how big of an overlap in the audience that love both the human cockfighting and pro wrestling. ROH is trying to present their product as being serious and real like MMA is. That means having camps and teams that represent an ode to MMA. I am completely confused as to why this has become such an issue.
Not all wrestling fans are MMA fans I know i'm not. I love the idea of a shoot style promotion it is one of the things that attracted me to ROH years ago. But in order to book wrestling as if it is real they don't have to blatantly rip ideas straight from the world of MMA. At the end of the day Wrestling fans know the sport is fixed, so when we see a guy come out like the 2nd coming of Kama"The Surpreme fighting machine" he comes off as a more of a poser. Then he would a legit world class fighter, ROH needs to find a balance between booking wrestling like it is real without trying to make it like another version of MMA.
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

TreeOfWHOA! wrote:
Not all wrestling fans are MMA fans I know i'm not. I love the idea of a shoot style promotion it is one of the things that attracted me to ROH years ago. But in order to book wrestling as if it is real they don't have to blatantly rip ideas straight from the world of MMA. At the end of the day Wrestling fans know the sport is fixed, so when we see a guy come out like the 2nd coming of Kama"The Surpreme fighting machine" he comes off as a more of a poser. Then he would a legit world class fighter, ROH needs to find a balance between booking wrestling like it is real without trying to make it like another version of MMA.

Davey Richards being compared to Kama? Really? I just don't see that one. Throughout the decades wrestling has taken concepts from the real world and popular culture and imputed it into their characters and angles. This is yet another concept the business has pilfered from somewhere else. People fail to remember the speeches Danielson used to give after matches or the ones Punk gave, which if taking your logic on Davey were just as whiny. Take the Punk promo after the match with Joe in Dayton for example.

If anything the Davey backlash just proves how fickle and spoiled ROH fans are when someone is finally elevated they turn on them. Makes no damn sense.
TreeOfWHOA!

Post by TreeOfWHOA! »

If i don't like it, i don't like it that don't make me fickle or a hater. I never turned on Joe, Dragon, Nigel, Aries(Both runs). I just don't like the direction of Daveys persona since becoming champion. He was much better as a bad ass tweener and he was cutting promos more like Danielson was back then before he was champion. Now it is all crying "I did it for you grandma" or "Eddie your the greatest, I love you like a brother" it's all crap and far from putting the company over speechs that Dragon or Joe used to do.

That was the thing i loved about Dragon and Nigel as champs they never really changed. They were who they were, for instance if Davey were Dragon at the time he was ROH champion instead of Howling to the crowd he would be coming to the ring and blowing fire.

I'm far from a spoiled ROH fan i just like my wrestlers who are more genuine to their real life persona such as Dragon and Nigel were. Or have an edge to their character like Joe, Ki and Punk had. If you still like Richards thats great we all have our own opinions and can like who we like. But this time i think the fans are starting to turn on the champion for more reason then it's cool to boo the most over guy getting a push. Because ROH has tried to change who Davey Richards is and into something they think would be popular with the fans.

And it's not working fans can smell b.s and i'm sorry but all the tweaks they have done with Daveys character seem phony to most i'm sure. Frosted tips, a fake mma poser group, howling to the crowd..who the fuck designed this shit anyway?