ROH Maryland 01/07/2012 TV tapings Official Discussion

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
fm20000

Re: ROH Maryland 01/07/2012 TV tapings Official Discussion

Post by fm20000 »

JSWO wrote:I am totally perplexed at the hatred of an MMA influence in pro wrestling being criticized considering how big of an overlap in the audience that love both the human cockfighting and pro wrestling. ROH is trying to present their product as being serious and real like MMA is. That means having camps and teams that represent an ode to MMA. I am completely confused as to why this has become such an issue.
There is a reason I watch MMA and there is a reason I watch ROH. I don't watch them for the same reasons and I don't want the two of them combining. I'm not going to like someone with an MMA gimmick in pro wrestling because I know it's fake. If I wanted to watch someone do MMA style submissions and strikes then I'll watch MMA. When I go back and watch old ROH the commentary does a good job of pointing out the different aspects of people's WRESTLING ability. Not oh Davey is training in Judo with Team Richards and Eddie is training with Dan Severn to learn new submissions. It doesn't come off as believable, it comes off as stupid. If these guys really had MMA skills why would they be in ROH and not UFC or Strikeforce? The whole point is they go to ROH to WRESTLE.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

JSWO wrote:
TreeOfWHOA! wrote:
Not all wrestling fans are MMA fans I know i'm not. I love the idea of a shoot style promotion it is one of the things that attracted me to ROH years ago. But in order to book wrestling as if it is real they don't have to blatantly rip ideas straight from the world of MMA. At the end of the day Wrestling fans know the sport is fixed, so when we see a guy come out like the 2nd coming of Kama"The Surpreme fighting machine" he comes off as a more of a poser. Then he would a legit world class fighter, ROH needs to find a balance between booking wrestling like it is real without trying to make it like another version of MMA.

Davey Richards being compared to Kama? Really? I just don't see that one. Throughout the decades wrestling has taken concepts from the real world and popular culture and imputed it into their characters and angles. This is yet another concept the business has pilfered from somewhere else. People fail to remember the speeches Danielson used to give after matches or the ones Punk gave, which if taking your logic on Davey were just as whiny. Take the Punk promo after the match with Joe in Dayton for example.

If anything the Davey backlash just proves how fickle and spoiled ROH fans are when someone is finally elevated they turn on them. Makes no damn sense.
I agree. ROH fans are fickle. I mean why the hell did they boo Haas and Benjamin at Final Battle? Why did they love Tyler Black as a heel and hate him after he became a babyface champion? Same goes for Nigel. They turned on him after he won the title. Now they hate Richards. These same people that used to chant "next world champioon" at him. The same people that not too long ago thought he was the best wrestler in the world. How long before they turn on Steen?
TreeOfWHOA!

Post by TreeOfWHOA! »

Nobody is going to turn on Steen unless ROH misses the point and turns Steen into a complete baby face. Steen has the ability and fan support to be a great bad ass potty mouth face. The fans turning on Nigel i think you can blame the N.Y Crowd at Final Battle 07 for that. I know i never turned on him as he was my favorite ROH Champion ever. I was never a Black fan but i think in most ROH fans eyes they were more mad that ROH dropped the ball with him and waited far to long to put the title on him. Final Battle 09 was the last straw with the way Black was being booked.

As for WGTT i think fans don't like mediocrity and thats something we were getting with WGTT. Tons of missed spots and god awful mic work, and it don't help when you go from an amazing team like the Kings who had great match after great match. To WWE has beens Haas and Benjamin 9 times out of 10 just boring the piss out of most fans.

I don't think fans have turned on Davey Richards at all. A few of us on a message forum don't count for the entire ROH fanbase!! And as i was saying with Steen once you strip everything that was likable about a guy and turn him into a soft as ice cream baby face. What do you think the fans are going to do? Of course they are going to turn on him.
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

Steen asked the crowd what type of promotion sends their top guy home for one year, especially when performers in other wrestling companies get away with far worse. Steen argued that he was kept away not because he was out of control, but because he refused to suck up to Cornette's "golden boy", Davey Richards.
i got this from the pwinsider results. i dont really understand this. he lost the match to Generico where the stip was he had to leave ROH if he lost,which he did. whats he bitching about?
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

dark patriot wrote:
Steen asked the crowd what type of promotion sends their top guy home for one year, especially when performers in other wrestling companies get away with far worse. Steen argued that he was kept away not because he was out of control, but because he refused to suck up to Cornette's "golden boy", Davey Richards.
i got this from the pwinsider results. i dont really understand this. he lost the match to Generico where the stip was he had to leave ROH if he lost,which he did. whats he bitching about?
He 'lost the match" on screen. Behind the scenes I still don't know to this day why Kevin Steen was seen like 5 times the entire year last year.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

fm20000 wrote:
dark patriot wrote:
He 'lost the match" on screen. Behind the scenes I still don't know to this day why Kevin Steen was seen like 5 times the entire year last year.
Because they enforced the stips. If you don't, then nobody believes them and no one becomes invested. It's a huge problem with WWE. John Cena gets fired but shows up the very next night. Therefore, no one buys into the stipulation. In ROH, Kevin Steen got fired and didn't wrestle again for a year. So you can expect that the next time someone loses a "loser leaves town"-match, that it'll be at least a year before we see them again.

It's a great thing, if you ask me.
TreeOfWHOA!

Post by TreeOfWHOA! »

It is a great thing, but i guess it is also a bad thing for Steens wallet. Seems like ROH are mixing shoot with storyline. Reality vs Fiction seems like ROH is going to book Steen the way we all wanted CM Punk to be booked in WWE(Too bad it lasted only a few great promos and one match)
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

I think Steen probably did OK considered he most likely got paid for each of the shows he appeared on without actually wrestling.
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

syxxpakk wrote: Because they enforced the stips. If you don't, then nobody believes them and no one becomes invested. It's a huge problem with WWE. John Cena gets fired but shows up the very next night. Therefore, no one buys into the stipulation. In ROH, Kevin Steen got fired and didn't wrestle again for a year. So you can expect that the next time someone loses a "loser leaves town"-match, that it'll be at least a year before we see them again.

Who booked the stipulation? Steen? I don't think he signed up to only get paid 5 times a year from his major employer.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

fm20000 wrote:
syxxpakk wrote: Because they enforced the stips. If you don't, then nobody believes them and no one becomes invested. It's a huge problem with WWE. John Cena gets fired but shows up the very next night. Therefore, no one buys into the stipulation. In ROH, Kevin Steen got fired and didn't wrestle again for a year. So you can expect that the next time someone loses a "loser leaves town"-match, that it'll be at least a year before we see them again.

Who booked the stipulation? Steen? I don't think he signed up to only get paid 5 times a year from his major employer.
I should imagine Steen had some input into it, yes.
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:
fm20000 wrote:

I should imagine Steen had some input into it, yes.

He also didn't endear himself to the company due to some of his behavior during the HD-Net days. He broke a camera, swore, and bladed when he was told not to. Blatant disregard for your bosses commands leads to punishment with most employers.
Admin note: User permanently banned.
astoph

Post by astoph »

fm20000 wrote:

I would'nt consider ROH anyone's "major employer" as most everybody works other promotions as well, including Steen who has wrestled plenty throughout 2011 I assure you. And Team Ambition??? Really???
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

astoph wrote:
fm20000 wrote:

I would'nt consider ROH anyone's "major employer" as most everybody works other promotions as well, including Steen who has wrestled plenty throughout 2011 I assure you. And Team Ambition??? Really???
I'm pretty sure ROH pays more than PWG, Resistance Pro and whatever other random companies Steen works.

And seriously? Who thought Team Amibition was a good idea in any way?
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

Team Richards in now Team Ambition? Why the change? Is ROH now trademarking names? I guess they couldn't trademark "Team Richards" because it's his real name so that's why they changed?
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

dark patriot wrote:i wouldve liked to have seen like a real angle between Cole and O'Reilly splitting instead of just Davey and Kyle deciding to team up. like Cole being pissed at O'Reilly abandoning Future Shock or something like that. maybe thats to come.
ok i guess i spoke too soon as Future Shock vs. WGTT was announced for Philly.
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

JSWO wrote:
cgstong wrote:Mondo is officially on the roster. http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/242890- ... e-revealed

Wait, are you really quoting an article on Wrestlezone attributing something to the Observer from September? Mondo's not officially on the roster.
Actually...
https://www.rohwrestling.com/wrestlers/ ... mike-mondo
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

D2Kvirus wrote:
JSWO wrote:
cgstong wrote:Mondo is officially on the roster. http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/242890- ... e-revealed

Wait, are you really quoting an article on Wrestlezone attributing something to the Observer from September? Mondo's not officially on the roster.
Actually...
https://www.rohwrestling.com/wrestlers/ ... mike-mondo

Literally updated in the last week.
Admin note: User permanently banned.
Riddick

Post by Riddick »

I think Steen mainly took the time off so he could drop some weight and let his knees heal. He didn't do too many indy dates when gone from ROH but I assume it was simply to let him get in better shape and let his nagging injuries heal.

BTW with the whole MMA incorporated into wrestling thing. It wasn't till Vince McMahon Jr. took over the company and made Wrestlemania the cornerstone where Wrestling became more rock n' roll and mainstream and it turned out to be a great thing. I didn't recall anyone complaining "If I want to see some rock n' roll & celebrities I'll watch a concert."

Simply put you most likely don't like it because it's completely different. You have to let it be for some time until it feels more natural.