02/02/13 TV Taping results

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
JigsawVs.Jason

Re: 02/02/13 TV Taping results

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

DBSommer wrote: And has anyone else been delighted at the absence of anything Headbangery lately? ^_^
Here!! :D And Bennett as well, you'd think they got rid of the guys Cornette wanted to shove down our throats ;)
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Kikuchiyo

Post by Kikuchiyo »

YimYac wrote:Heel Taven should be fun

I've enjoyed his heel work in other companies from the matches I've seen. He and Truth will be a good fit
I've never seen him work as a heel. What's he like?
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:
DBSommer wrote: And has anyone else been delighted at the absence of anything Headbangery lately? ^_^
Here!! :D And Bennett as well, you'd think they got rid of the guys Cornette wanted to shove down our throats ;)
Yeah because it's a complete fact that Mike Bennett is only around and got pushed because Cornette liked him?

Not because of him being actually good or anything
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Kikuchiyo wrote:

I've enjoyed his heel work in other companies from the matches I've seen. He and Truth will be a good fit
Very pretty boy kind of hollywood character

He plays it really well. I think he'll mesh well with the Poonani Predator
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

YimYac wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:

Very pretty boy kind of hollywood character

He plays it really well. I think he'll mesh well with the Poonani Predator
His look seems more suited for a heel anyway.
Last Real Man Hype
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

Bennett is a good wrestler and great entertainer. I hope, he'll be back soon.
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
jackalope3

Post by jackalope3 »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:

I would love to not have to see the Headbangers anymore. I hope Matt Hardy disappears from ROH soon as well.

I'm conflicted when it comes to Mike Bennett. I like his work, but I think ROH ruined his push in 2011 and it's beyond salvaging. It might be better if he went somewhere else and got a fresh start.

Though I think dumping Brutal Bob and pairing Bennett up with Truth Martini might be interesting.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

jackalope3 wrote:
JigsawVs.Jason wrote:

I would love to not have to see the Headbangers anymore. I hope Matt Hardy disappears from ROH soon as well.

I'm conflicted when it comes to Mike Bennett. I like his work, but I think ROH ruined his push in 2011 and it's beyond salvaging. It might be better if he went somewhere else and got a fresh start.

Though I think dumping Brutal Bob and pairing Bennett up with Truth Martini might be interesting.
Yeah Bennett's booking is terrible. I'm still trying to understand why he didn't won the TV belt at Final Battle or hell, at the tapings when he was hot with Maria on his corner. And once he had a feud with Storm and then he did nothing until the horrible feud with Mondo which made the fans turn on Mondo and made Bennett look bad.
MOOSE!
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Burnside wrote:
ROHWorld_Harry wrote:
Not sure why Elgin won a TV title shot, he's beyond that belt at this point.
He's not; the TV Title is a secondary title that actually means something.
What does it mean exactly? It's beyond stagnant as a title.

Elgin talking about going for the world title and then becoming a contender for the TV title is reminiscence of WCW booking. It reminds me of Halloween Havoc 1998 where DDP lost to Goldberg in a world title match, but then the next night won the United States title. What did it accomplish? "Yeah, he's not good enough for the world title, the title he's been fighting for the past few months, but he's solid enough for the secondary title." What does it accomplish? Really?
YimYac wrote:
JigsawVs.Jason wrote:
Yeah because it's a complete fact that Mike Bennett is only around and got pushed because Cornette liked him?

Not because of him being actually good or anything

It's quite naive to assume Cornette had no hand in him being brought in and having a rocket shoved into him.

Bennett got to be a solid hand, don't get me wrong, but he clearly wasn't ready to be brought in and have a push like that (The fact the fans absolutely hated seeing him is a good indicator), but the booker (Which has been confirmed by several people to have been Cornette having majority say the past few years) refused to listen and kept trying. Cornette obviously had a hand in Bennett's ROH tenure.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

So it's not possible that Delirious is a fan of Bennett? or that someone else backstage with influence went to bat for Bennett and liked him?

Seems kind of naive to assume that
burrhead

Post by burrhead »

I just hope that if Cole does leave,we get a TV title rematch between he and Hardy and Hardy returns the favor.Then he can drop the title to anyone not named Hardy or Haas and everything will be fine.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

If Cole leaves I hope he drops the belt to Taven, I'm really intrigued to see what he can do with the belt and Truth at his side
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

YimYac wrote:So it's not possible that Delirious is a fan of Bennett? or that someone else backstage with influence went to bat for Bennett and liked him?

Acts like a Smokey Mountain Duck, wrestles like a Smokey Mountain Duck, looks like a Smokey Mountain Duck....

Look at when he got brought in and when he received a huge push. It goes beyond a coincidence and ignoring all the Cornette factors.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Jeremy wrote:
YimYac wrote:So it's not possible that Delirious is a fan of Bennett? or that someone else backstage with influence went to bat for Bennett and liked him?

Acts like a Smokey Mountain Duck, wrestles like a Smokey Mountain Duck, looks like a Smokey Mountain Duck....

Look at when he got brought in and when he received a huge push. It goes beyond a coincidence and ignoring all the Cornette factors.
Bennett was brought in during Nov-ish 2010 about 2 shows before the first Top Prospect Tournament in Dec and was heavily featured on the cards. Notice this is the period when Delirious was head booker before the SBG buyout in the second half of 2011 when Cornette became booker.

Bennett was heavily pushed when Delirious was head booker first and continued to be pushed when Cornette took over. Explain that.

Oh btw I'm glad you brought up Smoky Mountain we all know Cornette only likes guys that look like Mike Bennett, which is totally why he created these guys and frequently used them on his shows. Look at these Mike Bennett clones.
Spoiler: show

Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I like Mike Bennett more than Davey Richards. There, I said it.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Burnside wrote:I like Mike Bennett more than Davey Richards. There, I said it.
I do too.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Burnside wrote:I like Mike Bennett more than Davey Richards. There, I said it.
That's nothing. I liked Matt Stryker. Now that's going against the grain, since there was never more than five of us that felt that way out there. :D

BTW I am still a Davey mark as well. :P
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

ROH just put some of last tapings episodes up on VOD:

ROH TV EP #74 - Airdate 2/16/13

ROH TV EP #75 - Airdate 2/23/13
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

YimYac wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Bennett was brought in during Nov-ish 2010 about 2 shows before the first Top Prospect Tournament in Dec and was heavily featured on the cards. Notice this is the period when Delirious was head booker before the SBG buyout in the second half of 2011 when Cornette became booker.

Bennett was heavily pushed when Delirious was head booker first and continued to be pushed when Cornette took over. Explain that.

Oh btw I'm glad you brought up Smoky Mountain we all know Cornette only likes guys that look like Mike Bennett, which is totally why he created these guys and frequently used them on his shows. Look at these Mike Bennett clones.
Spoiler: show

I guess we're ignoring guys like Steen, Corino, and Davey who said Cornette's had major say since at least mid 2010, if not earlier?

I also like how you brought up a guy who was using a gimmick of being ugly and a tag team of being gangstas, both gimmicks being against the norm of what was featured in the fed. Not sure what it really does for your point, seems to favor mine actually.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

You argued that Bennett is pushed because he has a certain look Cornette likes

I provide a counterpoint disproving you with examples of guys he heavily featured in Smokey Mountain that don't fit this criteria.

I also like how you assume Cornette solely responsible for Bennett being pushed.

Btw it's been stated multiple times Cornette wasn't head booker until he brokered the SBG deal