ROH 01/05 TV Tapings Results

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
Burnside

Re: ROH 01/05 TV Tapings Results

Post by Burnside »

Midnight138 wrote:You know, it's entirely possible this is simply an excuse and the real reason is that they wanted to cut costs by not paying to bring him in for every show. He does live in California like the other "cost cut casualties", The Young Bucks and TJ Perkins.
Except they've still brought him to every TV taping and iPPV, which is exactly what they were doing before.

I agree it's idiotic to have taken him out of the booth, but it's bizarre to think that multiple people just decided to lie to Meltzer about this, or that he decided to lie to readers about it with no motive whatsoever.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

MantisDriver wrote:
please don't think for 1 second Cornette you know what's best for the business when you don't have a clue. His british accent was negative piss off Cornette just go away from wrestling please. You take all that's good in ROH and replace with complete trash..
Cornette hasn't been at any ROH shows or had anything to do with ROH since losing his mind at the November TV taping.
Midnight138

Post by Midnight138 »

Burnside wrote:
Midnight138 wrote:You know, it's entirely possible this is simply an excuse and the real reason is that they wanted to cut costs by not paying to bring him in for every show. He does live in California like the other "cost cut casualties", The Young Bucks and TJ Perkins.
Except they've still brought him to every TV taping and iPPV, which is exactly what they were doing before.

I agree it's idiotic to have taken him out of the booth, but it's bizarre to think that multiple people just decided to lie to Meltzer about this, or that he decided to lie to readers about it with no motive whatsoever.
Well, I suppose he has been at pretty much all of them at this point. Maybe that'll change going forward. At any rate, they've taken him out of one speaking role and put him in another. I don't see the point. Plus, I will take every opportunity to point out the massive downgrade they made in Caleb "eat a submission" Seltzer.

I have long suspected that Dave Meltzer is a tool, therefore I think he may lie just because it is second nature for a tool to do such a thing to try to make a good story. But I have my own personal biases and opinions like everyone else.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

He only did iPPVs and TV tapings as a commentator. He's still doing the same amount as the on-air matchmaker. If the accent thing is true, I have no words.
TreeOfWHOA!

Post by TreeOfWHOA! »

Burnside wrote:
MantisDriver wrote:
please don't think for 1 second Cornette you know what's best for the business when you don't have a clue. His british accent was negative piss off Cornette just go away from wrestling please. You take all that's good in ROH and replace with complete trash..
Cornette hasn't been at any ROH shows or had anything to do with ROH since losing his mind at the November TV taping.
Still seems fishy to me, and sounds like a Cornette move IMO. This whole thing feels like a cover up to take the focus of the ROH fans hate for Cornette's style of booking away. I still feel he has a hand in the booking and if he don't then guess what Lizard Man stinks as well. And they need a complete change in direction..Period!

I have never heard a more absurd reason to take somebody off of commentary sounding to British(Which i assume is the problem with his accent). Which is also an insult to the boys that help run this site am i correct?
tlova86

Post by tlova86 »

TV Title Match: Adam Cole vs BJ whitmer

TreeOfWHOA!

Post by TreeOfWHOA! »

I thought i read some where they would have a new set for the TV tapings this looks the same to me.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

TreeOfWHOA! wrote:
Burnside wrote:
MantisDriver wrote:
Still seems fishy to me, and sounds like a Cornette move IMO. This whole thing feels like a cover up to take the focus of the ROH fans hate for Cornette's style of booking away. I still feel he has a hand in the booking and if he don't then guess what Lizard Man stinks as well. And they need a complete change in direction..Period!

I have never heard a more absurd reason to take somebody off of commentary sounding to British(Which i assume is the problem with his accent). Which is also an insult to the boys that help run this site am i correct?
I don't consider it an insult, I just find it moronic. It's not even if Nigel has a strong British accent. He has a rather generic accent which I would imagine most people can perfectly understand.

If he had a certain regional British accent (Liverpool, Newcastle, Wales, Scotland) I could maybe understand but it just seems like a pretty poor excuse.
Tenryu's Perm

Post by Tenryu's Perm »

Midnight138 wrote:
Burnside wrote:
Marketh. wrote:"Nigel was 10x better. It's absurd he was removed because it was felt his accent was a problem. "

Where was this said?
Meltzer reported it in the Observer. It's really too bad because the babyface commissioner character has no legs at all and I can't see it lasting more than 6-8 months.
I've been an Observer subscriber over the years (quit when it started becoming "MMA Observer and some wrestling too" about five years ago), and I can safely write that it seems to me that Meltzer will sometimes print his opinion about why something happened and portray it as fact. Unless something specific is cited, I'd imagine this to be the case here. No one in their right minds would imagine Caleb Seltzer with his American accent would be better suited to commentary than Nigel; Nigel talks like he knows the job and Seltzer repeatedly tells you what guys are eating in the ring.
The very last line about commentary gave me a good chuckle cause it's so true. I can appreciate Seltzer's enthusiasm, he seems to truly enjoy wrestling, but compared to Nigel, well, there is no comparison. Final Battle was sorely missing something in the commentary department, and most of us know what it was. The Ladder War would've been so much more fun and epic with Nigel screaming about the dangers and insanity and intensity all the while standing and yelling in pure joy and excitement. He also seems to bring out the best in Kevin Kelly, so what the hell? Let's get a petition going for Nigel to return to color commentary.

This set of TV tapings don't look too bad. Nothing groundbreaking but I'd bet there's some entertaining matches to be had. Also, anyone else think Steen gave into Lethal so quickly just so he doesn't have to deal with Lethal's crying anymore? ;)
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

187_Joeism wrote:What is the cheeseburger thing that happen in the taping that all the wrestler are talking about?
I saw BJ and Corino tweet about it but none of the spoilers say anything about it what is it about
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:
TreeOfWHOA! wrote:
Burnside wrote:

I don't consider it an insult, I just find it moronic. It's not even if Nigel has a strong British accent. He has a rather generic accent which I would imagine most people can perfectly understand.

If he had a certain regional British accent (Liverpool, Newcastle, Wales, Scotland) I could maybe understand but it just seems like a pretty poor excuse.
Wales is the only British accent that seems hard to understand (for me at least). Case and point, Mason Ryan.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

YimYac wrote:
ROHWorld_Steven wrote:
TreeOfWHOA! wrote:

Wales is the only British accent that seems hard to understand (for me at least). Case and point, Mason Ryan.
Yeah, the Welsh accent can be tough. Some Scottish accents (particularly Glasgow) are sometimes very hard to understand too. Liverpool and Newcastle would be very tough for non-UK people to understand I think.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

How are there Youtube clips up of the show already?
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Hawkeye wrote:How are there Youtube clips up of the show already?
Looks as if people who were at the show live filmed some stuff on their phones and then put it on YouTube.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:How are there Youtube clips up of the show already?
Looks as if people who were at the show live filmed some stuff on their phones and then put it on YouTube.
Thats dumb.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

So looking back on these, we'll probably see a SCUM/American Wolves match and/or feud. I'm guessing at the 11th Anniversary Show?
Which in turn makes me think, possibly, that Edwards will be pinned or submitted by Steen in the Defy or Deny match in Milwaukee. Weird conclusion, but still.
watadam20

Post by watadam20 »

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:
YimYac wrote:
ROHWorld_Steven wrote: I don't consider it an insult, I just find it moronic. It's not even if Nigel has a strong British accent. He has a rather generic accent which I would imagine most people can perfectly understand.

Liverpool and Newcastle would be very tough for non-UK people to understand I think.
I take offence ;).

On a more serious note the Nigel thing pisses me off, I've never heard anyone, of any nationality, complain about his accent and damn it he's the best commentator going today. Somebody mentioned earlier that Final Battle was not the same without him on commentary and they were right. Nigel just adds an extra element to matches, especially the big one's. Elgin-Steen, Steen-Richards I & II, Elgin vs. Richards especially all were helped by the epicness (I know it's not a real word but it's the most accurate thing I could think of) of Nigel's commentary. He put those matches even more over than they already were.