September 22nd TV Tapings (SOTF 2012)

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
DXvsNWO1994

Re: September 22nd TV Tapings (SOTF 2012)

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Spoiler: show
cgstong wrote:Jay Lethal def Davey Richards via Lethal Injection to win Survival of the Fittest 2012 and thus earns a future World Title Shot.
So..wait. He's getting a World Title shot in Rahway, and he wins Survival of the Fittest to get a second title shot???........Huh???
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote: So..wait. He's getting a World Title shot in Rahway, and he wins Survival of the Fittest to get a second title shot???........Huh???
Your spoiler quote is kind of useless when you give enough clues as to who won like that :D

Thinking probably is this will add some incentive and backstory to the upcoming 'rematch' at the ippv. Now they had a reason to fight since the loser will want revenge on the winner of SotF. They've also now split the matches with the other one they had. Most likely the title shot is on the backburner like they did for Elgin. They waited what, a year to use it? Or maybe it'll be up for grabs to add more importance to the match at the ippv. At least Mondo didn't win. Actually he was the only one that was out of place in the final and unworthy of winning it. I can imagine the sigh of relief when he was the first to go down.
Last edited by DBSommer on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

Just when you thought the product was at its worst!
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

BTW10 wrote:Just when you thought the product was at its worst!
Im %100 if the Guardians of Truth were Meng & Barbarian I'd be happier.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

cgstong wrote:
BTW10 wrote:Just when you thought the product was at its worst!
Im %100 if the Guardians of Truth were Meng & Barbarian I'd be happier.
Ha! Even you admit the Powers of Pain were worse than the Bangers, though not by much :D , but the Warlord could barely manage two moves: entering the ring and leaving it. Besides, it's not fair to throw Meng in the conversation. He carried Andre's broken down body to a tag championship single handed. And I'm sure he could still kill half the wrestlers on the PWI 500 even at his age. He could probably scare New Jack straight were he so inclined.

And let's be honest, everyone knows the product at it's worst would have been QT in the finals and Mondo winning it. There was only one guy that didn't belong in the finals, and he was the first eliminated. And if you had to pick an 'upset' Mondo would have been the one (Homicide over Roddy would have been slightly worse than Mondo over O'Reilly, IMO). You could make a good argument for any of the other 5 to win it, and there were cons to any of them as well. There was no 'perfect choice'.

And why aren't people complaining about C+C winning by DQ, Steen winning at all, The Bravados falling short in their rematch with the Briscoes (they beat them by pinfall back at Tag Team Turmoil) The fact the Headbangers are being relegated to an online match against 2 relative unknowns. A mixed gender dark match that can only hurt ROH's credibility in getting a crowd excited? They even had the guy that just Main Evented the ippv eliminated in the qualifier. You're missing out on so many things ROH erred with. Let's get to work, people.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Have no idea why
Lethal
won. Pointless.
MOOSE!
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

DieHard wrote:Have no idea why
Lethal
won. Pointless.
Since the winner is listed earlier in this line, and this is the spoiler discussion, I'll say who won outright

It's not really pointless. He and Davey's upcoming fight at GBH will now be a rematch of this final rather than it being a totally random pairing. Eddie and Kenny had a 'rematch' like this when Eddie won SotB back in 10 but it was at a house show. Also it's probably a good idea to split their matches (Davey won at Homecoming), if they're to have three. Sweeping Jay in all 3 makes him look weak and the series weak as well. Had Davey won this, the only way to prevent a sweep would be for Jay to win the final match at GBH. I don't think the fans want Lethal to beat Davey one on one in his return match at an ippv. I know I wouldn't *shudder*.

Also should Elgin win the title, it gives Lethal the perfect excuse to challenge the new champ at any time without the need to build up a feud. And the odds of Jay actually winning such a thing are low, so do you really want to give him a second title push the way he just got one for Steen at NJ? Or just an instant shot at an early house show if Elgin wins?

Should Steen hold on to the title, Lethal can still bank the shot for whenever. Elgin held onto his '11 win until GBH now.

Besides, there are problem with every guy winning the finals:

Mondo: Dear god, no! Self explanitory.
Elgin: His winning it would have been a give away to him *not* winning the title at GBH. Why would you give the next world champ a world title shot when he's already the champ?
Cole: Already TV champ. Already starting a feud with Hardy. If they pushed a world title shot anytime soon, there is 0% chance he'll win since it would mean vacating the TV title (which just happened with the tag titles), and worse, making a match against Hardy a main event.
Davey: Is too obvious a choice. Also would mean he either sweeps Jay or loses at GBH.
Roddy: Actually I think him winning had no real downside, unless Steen were to win GBH then Roddy challenge right away since he lost to Steen a few months ago. But Lethal winning and challenging again right away is even worse than that. It would also have made him the first 2X SotF champ.

Of course you can come up with good reasons for them to win as well. Also if they ignore the Lethal beating Davey as hype for the match up at GBH, then it does make it the most pointless choice after Elgin and Mondo.
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

Are they going to do Lethal vs Steen at Final Battle then?

God that sucks.
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

I've been telling you for months that he's unbeatable!

Also this is the spoiler section people. You don't need spoiler tags!

Full tapings results: http://rohworld.com/09-22-12-tapings/

SOTF winner revealed: http://rohworld.com/sotf-2012-winner/
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Lol yeah that's what i meant. There's only 2 shows before GBH (same thing happened with Border Wars), so this is, unsurprisingly - a stupid move.

ROH had a huge chance to make this whole thing looks important with some good progress in their future big matches and storylinesbut they chose to do an another uninteresting tourney like March Mayhem.
MOOSE!
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

There's only actually 1 show before GBH XI. The October 6th show that has the Steen/Elgin confrontation.

Everything else takes place after GBH XI.

This means 3 of the 4 weeks of TV leading into GBH are road rage.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

DBSommer wrote:It's not really pointless. He and Davey's upcoming fight at GBH will now be a rematch of this final rather than it being a totally random pairing. Eddie and Kenny had a 'rematch' like this when Eddie won SotB back in 10 but it was at a house show. Also it's probably a good idea to split their matches (Davey won at Homecoming), if they're to have three. Sweeping Jay in all 3 makes him look weak and the series weak as well. Had Davey won this, the only way to prevent a sweep would be for Jay to win the final match at GBH. I don't think the fans want Lethal to beat Davey one on one in his return match at an ippv. I know I wouldn't *shudder*.
But why the hell let Lethal win the whole thing, they could have easily have him eliminate Davey during the match and have Cole and O'Reilly being the final 2!! Lethal winning achieves nothing, the guys is over and a legitimate main eventer, he does not need the push!
Getting Mondo in the second round did actually nothing, what was the point of that???!! They should have just furthered the Mondo/Bennett angle, by letting Bennett interfer in his match with Kyle. That way we could have had a HUGE final two finale in O'Reilly and Cole and a worthy winner, who actually needs the push.
You're also right it shouldn't have been Cole winning it, but why the hell not O'Reilly? By last eliminating Cole, they could have a final match at a future house show (making one of those must-see) and at the same time push Kyle to the main event where he belongs.
I'm getting really frustrated with the booking, they constantly push guys I'm not interested in and most of all: there are no storylines that are really interesting right now. Why don't you finally book sth to advance the SCUM vs ROH angle Cornette?! I just hope they get the belt off Steen and end this stupid angle, since they apparently cannot execute it right.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
taxidriver77

Post by taxidriver77 »

cgstong wrote: The Briscoes def The Bravados
Post match Guardians of Truth revealed themselves as The Headbangers.
This might be worth watching for the wrong reasons as it's RoH's equivalent of the Gobbledygooker. Whoever thinks that booking the Headbangers, a mediocre and not very over team from the 90s, in RoH in 2012 was a good idea should be shot. That and the Mondo Bennett feud are worthy of wrestlecrap entries.
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

The Mondo Bennett feud makes no sense from a heel vs. face dynamic.

The face is trying to have his way with another man's girlfriend, and the heel is trying to defend his girlfriend's honour and protect her from the sexual assaults.
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

As someone who saw this live, the main event was very very good. The hate around here is getting dumber than the headbangers
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Nigel LikesGuinness wrote:As someone who saw this live, the main event was very very good. The hate around here is getting dumber than the headbangers
Sure the match was great but i don't like the booking.
MOOSE!
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Nigel LikesGuinness wrote:As someone who saw this live, the main event was very very good. The hate around here is getting dumber than the headbangers
Yea with those 6 guys it was bound to be awesome. Just a shame the guy who won didn't need it. He's already a contender.

Any chance you can provide more details on the GoT unmasking? It just sounds so random based on these limited reports.

If you think we missed anything out or should add anything, we'd appreciate it :) http://rohworld.com/09-22-12-tapings/
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

GOT came out, said that Martini has been busy with strong/elgin......they are no longer going to sit in the shadows and wait for opportunity. They said they have been to the biggest fed in the world and been tag champs in WWF (emphazise on F). Said something along the line of do you know who we are? we are the HEADBANGERS as they unmasked. They then did there stupid little dance
Some fans popped :?

Headbangers suck, just horrible.

SOTF finals will change peoples mind, i get the armchair bookers are uniting right now. However if Davey won it would have been stupid and people would be complaining as he can't challenge Steen and just came back after being a douche.
Adam Cole didnt need the win as he is focusing on the tv title. Mondo is not a credible main eventer (he is changing my mind on him though and he is vastly improved). Elgin had a really strong showing which is what he needed and continued his feud with Strong (it was very well booked :o at the tapings). Strong winning would be an arguement I could see, however based on the Lethal arguement he does not need the win as he is already a main eventer and former world champ.

Lethal winning makes him look strong heading in to Jersey and then he still has a future shot at a later date.

One thing that was horrible was seeing Delerious without his mask talking to Cornette outside :cry: never seen a lizard that big before in person.
taxidriver77

Post by taxidriver77 »

RoH expecting fans to give a shit about the Headbangers reveal is just shocking.
astoph

Post by astoph »

ROHWorld_Harry wrote:There's only actually 1 show before GBH XI. The October 6th show that has the Steen/Elgin confrontation.

Everything else takes place after GBH XI.

This means 3 of the 4 weeks of TV leading into GBH are road rage.
This also means there's pretty much no chance in hell that Elgin is winning the title at GBH XI either...