Baltimore TV Taping (8/03/12)

*Spoilers!* This is the place to discuss the latest ROH announcements and events before they've aired on TV.
AlexNieves970

Re: Baltimore TV Taping (8/03/12)

Post by AlexNieves970 »

The problem is, since there are no really top tag teams besides the Briscoes in the tournament, they can't even make the tag title finals the main event!
This is why I was talking about the dark match because the dirty rotten scoundrels actually look like a real tag team. Havent seen much of that in a very long time. If they have any kind of credibility a series with the Briscos could be worth seeing.
Last edited by AlexNieves970 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll break your face in so many places yo mamma wont recognize you" ~ Bruiser Brody
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

To everyone complaining about The Bucks being eliminated: It's been known for weeks now that The Bucks are already scheduled to appear at another indie show (Chikara, Evolve, PWG, whatever) the night of DBDX. So, what in the blue hell were you thinking? It's not ROH's fault, ok?

As far as Rhino is concerned: I don't like this decision either. Like I said elsewhere, I find him very boring. But I understand ROH's logic behind this whole thing: they seem to be trying to give Steen a variety of strong, credible challengers. So, I see that as a good thing. Even if it's Rhino.
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
AlexNieves970

Post by AlexNieves970 »

Rhino's time has come and gone. ROH needs to build new stars like they did when the company started.
"I'll break your face in so many places yo mamma wont recognize you" ~ Bruiser Brody
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote: The problem is, since there are no really top tag teams besides the Briscoes in the tournament, they can't even make the tag title finals the main event!

Remember these days guys....

:cry:

Year long tag reign, great defenses AND singles matches against anyone. ROH bringing in outside Tag Teams like LAX, WGTT, and the Young Bucks to face them. Man...

Sad days now... sad days.
AlexNieves970

Post by AlexNieves970 »

They gotta realize that. Thats why I been talking about the team in the dark match. Could be something to watch.
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

fm20000 wrote:
JigsawVs.Jason wrote: The problem is, since there are no really top tag teams besides the Briscoes in the tournament, they can't even make the tag title finals the main event!

Remember these days guys....

:cry:
Love that foto! :)
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

http://twitter.com/1michaelray/status/2 ... to/1/large
DAT LUCKY SOB

lol look at this pic from ROH facebook, Truth Martini 1# fan: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... nt_count=1
MOOSE!
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

The whole reason for the House of Truth vs. S.C.U.M angle IMO is to set up Elgin vs. Steen at GBH in Canada. I would've rather seen Roderick vs. Steen at DBD but they did earlier this summer so I guess Rhino was the next member in the House to get the shot.
jackalope3

Post by jackalope3 »

"Charlie Haas out for promo. He calls out Jim Cornette and says that he and Shelton should be the tag champs. Rhett Titus out mid-promo

Charlie and Rhett enter tournament as partners. They say when they win, they will fight each other for the belts
"

I know that wrestling often doesn't follow logical patterns, but can someone explain this to me?

So ROH strips ANX of the belts when Kenny King leaves. Apparently Rhett could not pick another partner and continue on as champs. But if they win the titles in the tournament, Charlie and Rhett will fight each other for the belts. I assume that once this fight is done, the winner would (theoretically) pick a new partner and keep the belts?

I would be surprised if Rhett and Haas win the belts anyway, but still....
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

Ok after reading the spoilers, I'm left scratching my head. Rhyno vs Steen will headline Death Before Dishonor??? Do they expect that to sell? Why are Hass and Titus teaming? That makes no sense. Surprised the Young Bucks lost in the first round, but I like C&C so it's good they won. Mike Mondo sure isn't a jobber anymore! Not a big fan of Bennett, but the company must not like him either since he is jobbing to a jobber.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

It's like ROH has secretly hired Vince Russo. The Haas/Titus tag team is quintessential Russo booking.

So after what seemed like a definitive effort to actually be a heel last month at Best in the World, Steen & Co are now babyfaces. Except Steen cheats to beat Homicide. In this Steen vs Cornette feud, who the hell are we supposed to be rooting for?

Is Bennett leaving or something?

Nice of them to remove all drama from the tag tournament by introducing the Corino/Jacobs "fired if they lose" stip.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

jackalope3 wrote:"Charlie Haas out for promo. He calls out Jim Cornette and says that he and Shelton should be the tag champs. Rhett Titus out mid-promo

Charlie and Rhett enter tournament as partners. They say when they win, they will fight each other for the belts
"

I know that wrestling often doesn't follow logical patterns, but can someone explain this to me?

So ROH strips ANX of the belts when Kenny King leaves. Apparently Rhett could not pick another partner and continue on as champs. But if they win the titles in the tournament, Charlie and Rhett will fight each other for the belts. I assume that once this fight is done, the winner would (theoretically) pick a new partner and keep the belts?

I would be surprised if Rhett and Haas win the belts anyway, but still....
It's really weird like i said i need to see everything here on TV... maybe heel turn or idk what..
MOOSE!
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Like I wrote in other topic, I think maybe Corino and Jacobs will be on the final match and they'll be screwed by Cornette and because of this unclear lose, they won't accept being fired and they will fight "they're ways" to return to ROH.
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

My thoughts:

- Rhino should never be main eventing PPV's in Ring of Honor. I hated it when it happened in TNA, and it's even more ridiculous here.
- Young Bucks losing was obvious, and not a problem at all. They're already booked during DBDX, and it gives C&C a huge boost
- The Haas/Rhett stuff makes no sense on paper. Hopefully when it airs it'll make sense. But that's very unlikely. What a dumb idea
- Mike Mondo is the new Jay Lethal. I really hope he doesn't beat Cole at DBDX
- Sucks the Bravados were out in the first round
- SCUM stipulation makes the tourney too obvious
- Lethal as a heel? Ugh...I'll wait and see with that
- Why is Mondo still feuding with Bennett if he's facing the TV champ at DBDX :?
- Ciampa should be beyond facing jobbers at this point
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

DanielBryanson wrote:To everyone complaining about The Bucks being eliminated: It's been known for weeks now that The Bucks are already scheduled to appear at another indie show (Chikara, Evolve, PWG, whatever) the night of DBDX. So, what in the blue hell were you thinking? It's not ROH's fault, ok?

As far as Rhino is concerned: I don't like this decision either. Like I said elsewhere, I find him very boring. But I understand ROH's logic behind this whole thing: they seem to be trying to give Steen a variety of strong, credible challengers. So, I see that as a good thing. Even if it's Rhino.
you're actually right as far as the Bucks are concerned, but what about the whole Titus/Haas team and what the hell is up with that ridiculous "they will fight each other" stuff, not even Russo could come up with such an utterly mind-boggling bullshit!
Then you've got the stupid win or be fired storyline with SCUM, which takes away ANY suspense of the title tournament. The sad thing is, it actually was totally unpredictable who would win it, but now they even fucked that up.
And why the hell were they thinking booking Rhino vs Steen for the title, seriously this is the worst booking decision in YEARS!! And yes, I agree he and Steen could have a fun match, TV taping or maybe even house show worthy title match (yet it is still not good enough to main event a TV Taping episode or a house show) , but what braindead person thought it is a good idea to have him main event an iPPV????!!!! Who is supposed to pay to see this match?!! I predict horrible buyrates, and I'm sorry if this seems negative or me ranting just for the sake of ranting, but this booking decisions really destroy my favourite company and I hate it! Why didn't they have Rhino vs Steen at the house show and Eddie vs Steen at the iPPV?
This might sound cocky or pretentious, but ANY ROH fan on this board could have booked two better iPPVS than Cornette and Delirious (who I suspect does not get a word in edgewise unfortunately)
Rhino just plain out sucks and he was never main event material, not even in his prime. And now he's main eventing an iPPV of a promotion that used .- and still claims - to stand for "the best wrestling in the business"?!!!
That is just not acceptable, I will not buy this show, unless they announce another main event, maybe Richards vs O'Reilly I dunno. Again they have managed to deliver the worst possible card they can, wouldn't surprise me if they booked Elgin vs Brutal Bob :?
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
burrhead

Post by burrhead »

Shoo...just reading the spoilers made my head hurt.

I was a big ROH mark when the company first started and around 2004,I got too far behind with getting to watch them due to having a 6 year old and 3 year old.Now that they are a little older and don't need as much of my attention and ROH getting tv(I didn't get HDNet until almost the time they were no longer on there),I was excited about getting to see wrestling again.

But more and more since the start of the year,they have gone so far out of my own expectations,I can't imagine what it's like for those who've been there since the beginning and was able too see what I didn't get too see during those years.Even for me and just in the last year,this is not the ROH I knew and loved.

I'm going to offend a lot of people I assume,but I'm not a fan of this Kevin Steen.Now some Steen I've seen in the last year from past shows I've been able to see I'm ok with.But now he just acts like an idiot to me.Not a fan of WGTT either.Been there,done that.When they first came in and worked with KoW,that was good stuff.now I'm sick of them.I coild go on and on,but no need.

I don't think I'm even gonna bother with watching these shows.Good Lord,Rhino?I didn't like him in ECW,much less now in ROH.Guess I'll just keep up with what's going on by checking things out here,but good grief,how disappointing.
Lord_Snow

Post by Lord_Snow »

I guess I'm in the minority but I honestly dont mind Rhino getting a world title shot on ippv. Rhino never really bothered me that much and I look at it as fresh match for Steen. I think if they did go with Edwards getting the shot people still would have complained as he had recently got a title shot. I think it goes back to the problem of the overall weakness of the roster in that there really is no one else to put in that slot other then Elgin and its best to hold that off as long as possible imo.

We'll have to see how the whole Titus-Haas thing plays out when we can hear the whole angle/promo, but I admit from the recap it makes no sense and is really stupid.

I also hate the "win or get fired" storyline with SCUM.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

They should have not said that the winner of Rhino vs Edwards would be number one contender because neither is a good choice. Rhyno is a midcarder for life and Edwards would not be a fresh matchup.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

cgstong wrote:
Ep 1

Truth Martini calls out Jim Cornette. Says that the House of Truth should take out Steen, Jacobs, and Corino. Eddie Edwards out mid-promo. Eddie says he should be #1 contender.

Anything Goes Match (Winner faces world champ at DBDX): Rhino def Eddie Edwards via ref stoppage after a Gore thru a table. So Rhino vs. Steen for the World Title in Chicago on 9/15

ROH World Championship Match
Kevin Steen def Homicide after a low blow behind the refs back and then an F5. Rhino out post match to pose
Corino on commentary, Jacobs at ringside
First of all, thanks for posting.

Hmm. Hadn't thought of HoT vs SCUM, but it makes sense. Since Elgin is still with the HoT, will be rooting for them in the long run. Rhino is a fresh choice, and let's be realistic boys and girls, you can't have Steen drop the title this soon, so no matter who he faces they will lose. It's too soon for Elgin. Eddie has fallen twice already so a third time would be ridiculous. Homicide has now lost. Roddy has lost. Cole needs to be built up as TV champ. No one booked in the tag tournament can do it. The choices are limited, and of them Rhino is as good as anyone to feed to Steen. Also this is going to be a change of pace as Steen is now the weaker guy in the ring which will make for a different style of match.

Besides, '12 Steen is about his character and storytelling in the ring, not his in-ring skills. Compare the current version to the lighter, less injured one back in 10 and earlier. He's the new Dusty. That's not a bad thing. Actually it's a lot harder to pull off than an Eddie, where it's all about your in-ring skills. Steen will be the focus, Rhino's just the guy he will be playing off of and Martini will be doing all the talking. I'm interested enough in this match to give it a chance. Hell, the Briscoes vs. Elgin & Rhino I saw live and thought it was the MOTN. I'm willing to give Steen the chance to do the same thing for Rhino the others were able to pull off. 12 Steen is not going to be giving you 5 star matches no matter who he faces: he can give you enjoyable matches, though Could this bomb? Yes. Could it be entertaining? I think it's more likely
cgstong wrote:
Episode #2

Tag Title Tournament rd 1: Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander def The Young Bucks after a 2nd rope Huracanrana/Frog Splash combo

Grudge Match
QT Marshall def Tadarius Thomas after an Alabama Slam

Six man mayhem up now. Winner gets TV Title shot at DBDX: Mike Bennett vs. TJ Perkins vs. Tomasso Ciampa vs. Roderick Strong vs. Mike Mondo vs. Jay Lethal

Mike Mondo wins after a Double Arm DDT on Bennett. So TV Champ vs. Mondo on 9/15 for the belt
Shoot. I was really hoping for the Bucks to at least make it to the second round, but if they weren't under contract, there was 0% chance they would get the belts anyway (thank you Kenny King). But C+C needed a push and this is it in a big way. Guys, this is the 'ROH talent' you've been crying out for getting developed and being pushed front and center. Yes, Coleman is a vet, but he's never been big anywhere, and these guys as a team are what's been groomed in ROH, and they need the teams. Personally I think they have been getting better and better the way O'Reilly, Cole, and Elgin have. It's unfortunate the Bucks were the ones that got stepped on to further C+C, but only by winning these matches will they have any credibility.

Yes, I hate Charlie and Rhett as a team. The 'we hate each other but can still team up' thing worked for Candido and Storm, but I'm not a big fan of it here. Actually I thought doing that for a Lethal/Ciampa team might have worked, as well as making them more relevant, but oh well.

Thomas looked better than QT in the one match I saw with them, and would have preferred seeing Thomas go over, but unless he looks a lot worse than he did in the tag match, hopefully they'll keep him around.

Mondo I'm not terribly fond of. Still I doubt they put the strap on Cole only to have him drop it to Mondo. Mondo has been looking better of late, but not anywhere near Cole's level. I wouldn't mind the Mondo Bennett program as it keeps them out of anyone else's hair, while letting the people up on them still see them in action.
cgstong wrote:

Steve Corino and Jimmy Jacobs def Bravado Brothers
Jacobs and Corino said that Cornette made them put up their ROH contracts if they were to compete. So if they lose any match in this tournament, they will leave ROH.
Guardians of Truth attack post match. Steen makes the save. Rhino then comes out and hits the Gore on Steen.

Matt Taven vs. Jay Lethal
Lethal cuts a promo where he says he talked to Cornette about getting a world title shot. Cornette's response was that he didn't have a "killer instinct". Jay then low blows Taven at the start of that match. He then hits the Lethal Injection on the ref.(Wasn't Turner or Sinclair)

Tag Title Tournament rd 1: Rhett Titus and Charlie Haas def Guardians of Truth after Titus gets a roll-up on one of the Guardians of Truth. Corino and Jacobs attack the Guardians post-match
For those wanting SCUM in the tournament, you just got your wish. It makes sense as they are the top heel faction and should be represented. I do hate the 'lose and you're out' stip. Bravadoes were a team I wanted to see bounced out in the first round, though I still haven't seen how much they improved overseas and do look forward to seeing more of them. Anyone disagree with the Bravadoes losing this one?

Jay Lethal heel turn? Good. Something needs to be done with him and that can only help. Perhaps an alliance with Nana might be in the works, though that would mean more feuding with Ciampa, and that feud should finally end at Boiling Point

And the Guardians of Truth lost. Okay, that was definitely the right choice. Anyone disagree with that? No? And assuming it's still the Headbangers under those masks having SCUM beating up on them will only appeal to everyone.
cgstong wrote:
Episode #4

ROH World Tag Team Title Tournament rd 1: The Briscoes def Jeez & Ruckus, BLK OUT after Frog Elbow Drop on Ruckus

Mike Sydal def Mike Bennett via countout after Mike Mondo came to ringside and kissed Maria (lucky guy) and Mike Bennett chased him to the back

Tomasso Ciampa def Mike Posey
RD Evans was on commentary. He was attacked by Prince Nana and Ciampa made the save.

ROH World TV Championship
Adam Cole vs "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin ends as a no contest when Sinclair gets hit by Cole when being powerbombed. Guardians of Truth who were at ringside, get attacked by Steen, Corino and Jacobs. Rhino then attacks Steen
I hate seeing BLKout bounced in the first round. Hopefully they'll be brought back in if they looked good. Again, not a contracted team so they weren't going to win it. And only so many teams could advance. Disappointing, though.

Oh, the other Sydal. And he wins though it's only to push the Bennett Mondo feud. How many would have preferred seeing Taven win this and Sydal killed by Jay?

Ciampa wins, but this was to push the Nana vs Embassy Ltd thing.

This had to be the ending to the TV Title match. Elgin should be pushed for the World Title when the timing is right, and Cole still has to be built up as the current TV champ.

And the one thing I hope more than anything is... the matches in the ring are good. I'm more concerned about that than who wins or loses. The best storylines in the world don't mean sh*t if what happens in the ring bores the hell out of me. If all I cared about was the talk, then I'd be watching WWE instead.

Overall, some things I liked. Others I didn't. Which is usually the way things are. Since there is no 'prefect booking' for this card, it's going to be like that to one degree or another. I can deal with it.

Unless the action in the ring sucks. That is the one thing that will make me turn away.
EcwHardCore07

Post by EcwHardCore07 »

Return date of 9/22 which apparently will be the final event at the Du Burns for 2012.