Something I've noticed about the ROH live crowd.

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Manga4life

Something I've noticed about the ROH live crowd.

Post by Manga4life »

I've noticed while watching my ROH DVD's is that the live crowd seems to be getting smaller. Take Glory by Honor X for instance, this is the 10 year anniversarry of one of the company's premier annual events and it looked like they were wrestling in front of nobody. I remember just a few years ago they were wrestling in the Hammerstien in front of a big live crowd with double decker seating and tons of seats in the floor space, now it seems like they're back to tiny gym's in front of a crowd about the same size as a DGUSA event. What gives? Is it star power? Are they trying to make the events more intimate? There has got to be a reason as to why the crowd is shrinking and the events are seating less and less people, I'm beginning to believe that maybe the market for indy wrestling has shrunk in the past 3 years or so.

Discuss!
http://www.Twitter.com/manga4life
Championships I recognize/follow
IWGP Heavyweight Championship
ROH World Championship
World Heavyweight Championship (since 2009)
WWE Championship (since 2009)
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Re: Something I've noticed about the ROH live crowd.

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

It's simple. The product isn't as good as it used to be.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

[url]
ROHFanAnthony wrote:It's simple. The product isn't as good as it used to be.
No. They are just not putting their best matches on House Shows like in the past. So the shows aren't MUSE-SEE~! anymore.

BTW Unity did a great number....
MOOSE!
bigstu

Post by bigstu »

A lot of venues they are running are bigger than what they used to run. 400 people looks smaller in a venue that holds 1500 instead of a venue that hold 600.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Its not just ROH its wrestling in general. Attendances, buy-rates, TV figures, everything is decreasing (apart from 'Mania but thats different).

Its been that way for a few years plus wrestling and ROH arent as hot as they used to be.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

bigstu wrote:
A lot of venues they are running are bigger than what they used to run. 400 people looks smaller in a venue that holds 1500 instead of a venue that hold 600.
This
MOOSE!
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

I don't know about this. Wasn't BITW 2011 ROH's best attendance to date?

You can only really judge shows your at, and comparing Border Wars to Revolution:Canada, there's no comparison. The Ted Reeve was absolutly packed for Border Wars.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

trufreedom wrote:I don't know about this. Wasn't BITW 2011 ROH's best attendance to date?

You can only really judge shows your at, and comparing Border Wars to Revolution:Canada, there's no comparison. The Ted Reeve was absolutly packed for Border Wars.
Border Wars was one of teh biggest ROH shows in history. A lot of big names and they money maker match. Revolution: Canada was a great show, but nothing big
MOOSE!
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

classic-cabana wrote:Its not just ROH its wrestling in general. Attendances, buy-rates, TV figures, everything is decreasing (apart from 'Mania but thats different).

Its been that way for a few years plus wrestling and ROH arent as hot as they used to be.
No, they aren't and I can't imagine it will get better. Well maybe for ROH it will.
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

classic-cabana wrote:Its not just ROH its wrestling in general. Attendances, buy-rates, TV figures, everything is decreasing (apart from 'Mania but thats different).

R.I.P. wrestling
TelkEvolon

Post by TelkEvolon »

fm20000 wrote:

R.I.P. wrestling
I think there is WAY too much wrestling nowadays, everything is spread so thin. Especially as it is not a "boom" period and not a great deal of new talent coming through.
"Each generation wants new symbols, new people, new names. They want to divorce themselves from their predecessors."

- Jim Morrison
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Wrestling has been down everywhere, not just ROH.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Manga4life wrote:I've noticed while watching my ROH DVD's is that the live crowd seems to be getting smaller. Take Glory by Honor X for instance, this is the 10 year anniversarry of one of the company's premier annual events and it looked like they were wrestling in front of nobody. I remember just a few years ago they were wrestling in the Hammerstien in front of a big live crowd with double decker seating and tons of seats in the floor space, now it seems like they're back to tiny gym's in front of a crowd about the same size as a DGUSA event. What gives? Is it star power? Are they trying to make the events more intimate? There has got to be a reason as to why the crowd is shrinking and the events are seating less and less people, I'm beginning to believe that maybe the market for indy wrestling has shrunk in the past 3 years or so.

Discuss!
I know it's hard to remember due to ROH not promoting it whatsoever, but this show wasn't promoted whatsoever. I was actually a couple hours away from Chicago during the time of this event, and opted not to go through the hassle of going during my vacation. It just did nothing to get me hyped as for previous Glory By Honor events.

In the end, this was just another example of ROH tacking on the Glory By Honor name and trying to artificially make the event historic. It's no different than tacking on Hell in a Cell or Fight Without Honor. The problem with ROH isn't that SBG is trying to make it a national company - that's actually a great thing. What they're doing though is copying many of the annoying habits that the larger companies use.

Sometimes band-aids DO work - they have to be organic in order to do so. But just throwing a name on an event or throwing guys into a gimmick just for the hell of it is not going to get the job done. The process has to be organic, not artificial.
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

The last toronto show (Steen vs. Davey) was the biggest crowd in that arena based on the six shows I've gone to. Bigger then death before dishonor by fair margin (Davey vs. Black).
Manga4life

Post by Manga4life »

I'm watching Showdown in the Sun (day 1) and this crowd is absolutely massive for an ROH event, there arejust a ton of people and they're a pretty loud crowd too. It's nice to see that ROH is still pulling in some good sized crowds every now and again, I hope to see lots of people at upcoming events supporting the product.

I'm loving this crowd!
http://www.Twitter.com/manga4life
Championships I recognize/follow
IWGP Heavyweight Championship
ROH World Championship
World Heavyweight Championship (since 2009)
WWE Championship (since 2009)
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Wrestling numbers are down everywhere
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

my local indys have been steadily increasing their crowd numbers(and quality of product) lately.
RoaringElbow

Post by RoaringElbow »

speaking of, does anyone else think they sold out BITW12 by moving the Steen/Richards match to Border Wars? Im not saying it was a bad decision, but at first it seemed like Border Wars was just another solid show in canada. Then they surprisingly decided in would be an iPPV and booked Steen & Richards for it so we could all(theoretically) see the title switch? Just seems like they were building towards BITW and then bumped everything up to Border Wars. Now the BITW card seems just ok