Well damn, Pittsburgh...

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
TYFDK

Well damn, Pittsburgh...

Post by TYFDK »

You're some lucky sumbitches.

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/one-mo ... -reignites

Long time ROH fans will remember the two tag team title reigns that BJ Whitmer & Jimmy Jacobs had together. They will also remember the circumstances that surrounded their dissolution, the woman involved, and the violence that followed for nearly a year as BJ & Jimmy tore into one another in numerous matches. The injuries accumulated over that time were severe, including a broken ankle for Whitmer, and when it finally culminated in a Steel Cage Match at “Supercard of Honor II”, a match that Jacobs won, neither man was quite the same.

Trace the line from there and you can see how this rivalry indirectly spawned The Age of The Fall, a group primarily consisting of Jacobs, Tyler Black, The Necro Butcher, & Lacey, and saw Jacobs at his most vile, bloodthirsty, and manipulative. The continuation of that thread would ultimately lead you to Jimmy’s exile from Ring of Honor following “End of An Age” and in turn bring you to the night Steve Corino brought him back into the fold as his sponsor. The events from there that have culminated in both Jacobs & Corino ally themselves with ROH World Champion Kevin Steen are all fresh in our minds…

The death of the tag team and the subsequent loss in the Cage Match also put BJ Whitmer on a downward spiral of his own as he suffered defeat after defeat, his own mental breakdown leading him into The Hangmen 3. That union became his downfall as their betrayal of Whitmer saw him evicted from ROH for years until his long-awaited, fan-demanded return at “Rise & Prove” when he impressed the world in his Proving Ground bout against Jay Lethal.

At “Synergy” in Chicago Ridge, Whitmer became embroiled in one of the most intense, enduring hates Ring of Honor has ever seen as he allied himself with El Generico to fight Jacobs & Steen in a tag team war that ROH officials were essentially forced to make a No DQ contest in order to insure it actually happened. Whitmer’s rivalry with Jacobs reignited that night as well, capped off with he & Generico picking up the victory after BJ delivered an Exploder Suplex through a table to Jimmy.

“I’d be lying if I didn’t say that felt good man.” BJ told ROHWrestling.com, “It’s been a long time coming, tossing Jimmy through that table, and watching him decide to side with Steen only proves how much he deserved it. To tell you the truth, when I saw Jimmy with Corino, saw him trying to be a better man; it gave me some hope that maybe our past could be put to rest. I really thought that maybe all that spilled blood could be put behind us and we could find that friendship we had before all the s*** and all the years got in the way. Well Jimmy, it looks like you fooled me and Ring of Honor and the world into thinking you changed. Or maybe you just fooled yourself into thinking you were strong? Well little buddy, it looks like me and you got a date one more time. Maybe you can show me I’m wrong, or maybe I can make you admit just how weak you are…”

It’s BJ Whitmer vs. Jimmy Jacobs in Pittsburgh, PA on 6/30/12 at The Rostraver Ice Gardens! It’s a renewal of one of the most heated rivalries in ROH’s history and tickets are available now!!!
supersonic

Re: Well damn, Pittsburgh...

Post by supersonic »

This has potential - Jacobs always brings out the best in Whitmer. Throw in a gimmick stip and this could be a legit MOTYC.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Pittsburgh House Show is becoming is a must see show
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Give credit where credit is due, ROH has reacted after the negative feedback from the Richmond show, both the Charlston and the Pittsburgh show seem to be must-see shows! The only thing they need to do now is to spend money on fly-ins and new guys to create new match-ups and prevent cards from getting stale
Last edited by JigsawVs.Jason on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

Yep. This is a company, IMO, that tends to learn from what could be considered mistakes.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

As indicated by the questions they ask on twitter, like what tag teams to bring in, what dream matches we want to see, etc. the really try to listen to the fans! That's one thing I think is still very positive about ROH, they really seem to get that the last year was mediocre at best and trying to listen to what the fans want to see.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
SamoaNOAH

Post by SamoaNOAH »

If only Jacobs and Whitmer would bring back the rest of the roster while they bring out what's left in each other ...
stylesclash516

Post by stylesclash516 »

I'm really psyched for this show. I got super excited when I saw champion vs. champion was coming here, now we get Whitmer vs. Jacobs. I doubt they'll add a stipulation though, it seems like forever since they last wrestled and some people not familiar with the feud would wonder why the match has special rules. Hopefully they continue adding great matches to the card and the booking doesn't drop off.
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

The above article shows just how good ROH's booking is. That's seven years of history building up to this match.
dougiefresh605

Post by dougiefresh605 »

I'm actually going to this show and have front row seats! I'm so pumped. This could definately be one of the better shows for ROH this year. I looked at the talent that's going to appear, and Davey isn't listed. Anyone know why?
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Glad I'm going to this show, since it's local for me.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

I hate you, Pittsburgh. But imo they should saved it for a bigger event, like Final Battle. But whatever, i hope to a ****+ match like their SCOH match :P
MOOSE!
FairPlay

Post by FairPlay »

dougiefresh605 wrote:I looked at the talent that's going to appear, and Davey isn't listed. Anyone know why?
Thats weird cause here in Pittsburgh on June 23rd at IWC Super Indy XI at the Court Time Sports Center in Elizabeth, PA (cheap plug), he's gunna be there (along with ROH regular Kyle O'Reilly). So I really wouldn't know why he wouldn't be at ROH's Pittsburgh house show. :?
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

i'll give them credit when i see how many matches are just local talent guys and if the event gets a good review overall. i do like many of the matches listed for the WV and Pittsburgh shows though.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I will agree with what I read elsewhere - this feels like a band-aid since Jacobs doesn't have anything truly substantial going on.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

Should've saved this for the iPPV.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

lol guys it's not an iPPV
MOOSE!
TelkEvolon

Post by TelkEvolon »

Good stuff. Hope it goes somewhere.
"Each generation wants new symbols, new people, new names. They want to divorce themselves from their predecessors."

- Jim Morrison