TJ Perkins and The Young Bucks won't be used for months

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
KL_

TJ Perkins and The Young Bucks won't be used for months

Post by KL_ »

Source: The Wrestling Observer and pwsforums

-- The Young Bucks and TJ Perkins have been told they will not be used for a few months. ROH told the talents this at the May 12th event in Toronto. They will all be under contract to ROH, but since they need expensive flights from Southern California to ROH events, they will not be flown in as a way to save money.

:roll:
syxxpakk

Re: TJ Perkins and The Young Bucks won't be used for months

Post by syxxpakk »

Yeah, we mentioned this in the CHIKARA thread. The best guess I can make is that they did a cost/benefit analysis, and didn't find the Bucks to be worth flying in Image

I.E. let's say the Bucks, together, cost $3,000 to fly-in (airplane costs, payment for wresting, etc.). And they estimate that the Bucks only bring in $1,500 in revenue (ticket sales, merch sales, etc.). So the CBA would find that they're spending twice as much as they're getting for the Bucks. That's all theoretical by the way.

I would imagine their line of thinking is that guys like Finlay and Rhino bring in more fans than the Bucks. I don't know that I personally agree with that, but there is something of a precedence for it in that there's that one New York promotion that draws 1500+ all the time using ex-WWE stars. So that could be their logic.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

That's by far the most stupid decision ROH has made all year long!!! They should stop paying those former WWE has-beens and investing in top indy talent who can actually make ROH what it used to be!
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

We've known about this for weeks?

I swear there's already a thread about it
Tree

Post by Tree »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:That's by far the most stupid decision ROH has made all year long!!! They should stop paying those former WWE has-beens and investing in top indy talent who can actually make ROH what it used to be!
the wrestling business is about putting asses in the seats, and quite frankly, Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin are going to put many more asses in the seats than TJ Perkins. i'm sure SBC did a pretty serious cost-benefit analysis, and flying in Perkins and the YoungBucks, for now, saw that the benefit didn't outweigh the cost.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

I like the Bucks and TJ, but I'm not too fussed about this. It's very understandable.

As for Haas and Benjamin putting more butts in seats than those guys, how do you figure? None of the shows lately have been drawing sellouts.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

It's impossible to tell, but logically more non-ROH fans are going to be drawn to seeing Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas than the Young Bucks. That doesn't mean that's what happening though. The only way to really argue the point is the one I made earlier regarding the New York promotion that regularly does 1500+ using ex-WWE guys. They have the most consistently large crowds in all of indy wrestling, I think, and a lot of has to do with who they use.
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

Obviously another bullshit decision from ROH, not surprising at this point.
icyhot

Post by icyhot »

Let me know when Sinclair starts spending money to put on the best shows and not just spending enough to barely fill out the card and I'll be back.....
Support REAL Indy Wrestling and small business.
SamoaNOAH

Post by SamoaNOAH »

TJP just can't get on a solid run with this company. And I blame ... the company.

The Bucks could freshen up a tag division that just lost Future Shock, and frankly, I think the Briscoes/ANX/WGTT is getting old(ish).

Why is this happening???
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

SamoaNOAH wrote:
The Bucks could freshen up a tag division that just lost Future Shock, and frankly, I think the Briscoes/ANX/WGTT is getting old(ish).

Why is this happening???
This. What are the Briscoes supposed to do until fall if ANX is feuding with WGTT? Feud with Caprice and Alexander? This decision makes no sense.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Wait for the Briscoes match at Best In The World and you can have an idea.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

187_Joeism wrote:Wait for the Briscoes match at Best In The World and you can have an idea.
I'm getting really annoyed with this "Wait and see what happens" excuse.

They're getting punished because the bookers are so limited and have no idea how to properly develop talent now. TJ Perkins is one of the most underrated guys on the roster in terms of consistency and Young Bucks are an over tag team. Yet... they're gone for the summer. That doesn't do anybody any favors.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

Well it probably does their bank account favors. :lol:
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

No comment.
ROH Fan 81

Post by ROH Fan 81 »

I can see not flying them in for every house show that isn't cost effective. However, there is no reason they can't bring them in for tv tapings and IPPVS. That way they are still in the storylines just not at every show.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

syxxpakk wrote:Well it probably does their bank account favors. :lol:
Hah. SBG just posted about their annual rise in profit months back. Surely that money can go towards that wrestling promotion they have, right?
I can see not flying them in for every house show that isn't cost effective. However, there is no reason they can't bring them in for tv tapings and IPPVS. That way they are still in the storylines just not at every show.
Logically this makes perfect sense, something ROH hates these days.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

Jeremy wrote:
Hah. SBG just posted about their annual rise in profit months back. Surely that money can go towards that wrestling promotion they have, right?
I can't honestly say (nor can anyone but SBG). I would imagine that no, it probably can't, but that would be based off solely because it isn't. While SBG isn't a television company like most people think of them, I still imagine they have to spend a lot of money on running the company and they probably have a set budget aside for ROH. Kind of like for example Books-a-Million probably has a set budget aside for Joe Mugg's.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

syxxpakk wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
I can't honestly say (nor can anyone but SBG). I would imagine that no, it probably can't, but that would be based off solely because it isn't. While SBG isn't a television company like most people think of them, I still imagine they have to spend a lot of money on running the company and they probably have a set budget aside for ROH. Kind of like for example Books-a-Million probably has a set budget aside for Joe Mugg's.
Aside from the TV show, I don't think much of any resource has gone into ROH under SBG's ownership. The DVDs looked better before hand and the TV show, while making some improvements since the beginning, still looks like something from 1997 ECW era.

I can understand having a set budget for them, but I also believe the logic of "spending money to make money" can apply here. If they spent a bit on some better production, I think many of us here would be happier, considering that seems to be a common complaint I see about the fed now.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

I think I've said this before on this forum, but the "spend money to make money" is a risky proposition - and I speak from experience :lol: . ROH might not necessarily be solvent, yet, and it could be a situation of trying to cut costs to get it to where it needs to be in that regards. But I wholly agree with your assessment. In my mind, if money is going to be spent anywhere - production values is it. It doesn't matter what talent they have, right now they look no better than the local indy promotion that runs in my area - and that's the farthest thing from a compliment imaginable.