ROH Television Production

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
cviens

ROH Television Production

Post by cviens »

Is it just me or does the production quality seem 1) worse than the production when they were on HDnet and 2) annoying at times.

I thought SBG said they were going to put a good amount of money into making the show, but the production quality makes them seem a bit bush league. It's not something that will make me stop watching, ROH is the only wrestling show I watch weekly, but it's a bit aggravating when those skylights create a rather large glare on the screen and when some things just come off as lame because of production. I think an improvement in the filming quality would be beneficial.
WrestlingMatters

Re: ROH Television Production

Post by WrestlingMatters »

JC said on Monday Night Mayhem that they're getting new cameras in the new year.
cviens

Post by cviens »

Ah, thanks for the information! I don't keep up with Monday Night Mayhem. I'll be looking forward to the new year then! :lol:
Chris Xtreme

Post by Chris Xtreme »

Production has diffinitly been an issue. They need to improve it if they really want to grow. As I don't see TV stations and Networks taking them seriously without better production values. But it is early so they have a chance to turn it around. Hopefully the new cameras help.

The reason HDnet was better was because of Hdnet. They handled the production for ROH. Now a new crew Sinclair has brought in is handling production. So its not the same crew from the Hdnet show. Its too bad, because Hdnet actually looked pretty acceptable to me.
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

Of course it's worse than HDNet, that was recorded in HD, Sinclair isn't.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

The quality is worse for sure but I will say this past weeks 12/04 ep is better than it has been. Check it out if you can.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
cviens

Post by cviens »

I couldn't tell much of a difference honestly.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

What annoys is me is incredibly basic stuff like when they show footage from DVD shows and it's stretched because they're 4:3 and the TV show is 16:9. This is no longer a case of SBG being a separate company with their own production team, like HDNet. They're all one now, so why aren't DVDs in widescreen too now? And why can't they just show them in 4:3 with graphics or blurred footage on the letterbox like everyone else does?

What especially annoys me is everything is "coming in 2012". This year feels like total filler. All the main angles are stretched out from Final Battle 2010 to Final Battle 2011, but not necessarily in a good way like the Steen/Generico feud. I understand it was kind of necessary for the Steen/Corino angle, but I feel they should've had him back on the main roster by now, wrestled Corino, and had Jimmy Jacobs doing something worthwhile. By the end of the year, we will have had only 4 significant, memorable moments - Eddie winning the title, Davey winning the title, Steen's BITW return and whatever happens at Final Battle.
Last Real Man Hype
Motion.

Post by Motion. »

I actually find the production quality to be so off-putting. When I watched their first televised show on SBG, it just threw me off completely. The only episode I've seen since then has been the latest one, and I only watched that because of Steen. Looking back, the production from HDNet really was great. So much better than the current production with it's dimmed lights and annoying smoke effect they seem to out on.

I don't mean to bash into it completely, I hear the show has been good wrestling wise, it's just the whole format that puts me off. I'm sure I'll get into it when they get in new cameras in that. Oh, and also when they get rid of these little introductions to new fans. I understand why they're doing it, I just find it a bit annoying.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

I must say, the responses in this thread have surprised me. The production isn't great and if anything, it needs a bit more lighting but it's not bad at all in my opinion.

I had no idea it was actually putting people off watching. Let's hope it does improve in early 2012. The thing with the HDNet show was that the shows actually sucked towards the end. I don't think the SBG run has seen one bad show yet.
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

I watch wrestling for the you know wrestling.
Admin note: User permanently banned.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

JSWO wrote:I watch wrestling for the you know wrestling.
And you can honestly say that overly bright lighting that sometimes blocks out the view of moves, cameras cutting away from a guy doing his finisher to the champion to show Truth Martini arguing with a referee, stretched and low-quality footage, and cameras way too close to get the best view don't affect your enjoyment of the actual wrestling?
Last Real Man Hype
Chris Xtreme

Post by Chris Xtreme »

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:I must say, the responses in this thread have surprised me. The production isn't great and if anything, it needs a bit more lighting but it's not bad at all in my opinion.

I had no idea it was actually putting people off watching. Let's hope it does improve in early 2012. The thing with the HDNet show was that the shows actually sucked towards the end. I don't think the SBG run has seen one bad show yet.
Well, for whatever reason this show doesn't seem to be creating a buzz. It amazes me when I hear die hard ROH fans on facebook who still don't know how they can watch the show. Its like a lot of ROH fans just are completely numb to Sinclair's expansion. And there aren't really a lot of new fans being brought in. That said ratings are supposedly doing fairly well.

I haven't seen enough of Hdnet to judge it. But I would guess that the latter shows sucked because the writing was on the wall that the experiment was ending. From seeing the little that I saw, I think it was probably underrated. I think it was hurt by the fact that it was on a cable channel no one got that really had no real chance of growing quickly. Similar to how they are an afterthought now with Sinclair. Even with streaming, if there isn't a easy destination for people to watch you, you're not going to really be on the map.
Last edited by Chris Xtreme on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Xtreme

Post by Chris Xtreme »

I really enjoy the show too. And really I don't even expect TNA level production values ( which are actually pretty damn good now). But its clear that the show really isn't catching on and production has been one of the chief complaints from the critics. It frustrates me too. But no one is going to take them seriously with those production values.
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

Marketh. wrote:
And you can honestly say that overly bright lighting that sometimes blocks out the view of moves, cameras cutting away from a guy doing his finisher to the champion to show Truth Martini arguing with a referee, stretched and low-quality footage, and cameras way too close to get the best view don't affect your enjoyment of the actual wrestling?

I stand by my statement, and to answer your question quality of footage has never bothered me. I've got vhs tapes that are 4th and 5th generation of stuff from Japan and some older promotions. I used to watch a lot of that type stuff before I put everything on DVD. Footage quality was garbage but I could see the matches just fine.
Admin note: User permanently banned.