Official Problems with ROH thread.

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
fm20000

Re: Official Problems with ROH thread.

Post by fm20000 »

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:Regarding Callihan: He was pretty average during his run in ROH during 2010. It's only the past 12 months or so that he's really got people talking. Unfortunately, he's now under contract with Gabe.
He was working squash matches against like Skull Crusher Rasche Brown. ROH never really gave him anything to work with and then just dropped him. Now he's one of the biggest draws on the indy scene.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

Here's another thing: is it possible that, say, Sami Callihan didn't like ROH and doesn't want to come in?
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

That match with Rasche Brown was great and not even really a squash. It was pretty competitive, Sami just got his ass beat a lot.
Last Real Man Hype
Manga4life

Post by Manga4life »

fm20000 wrote:These guys have either been lost to WWE/TNA or given up for no reason since 2010

Austin Aries
Christopher Daniels
Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli)
Colt Cabana
Tyler Black
Kenny Omega
Super Smash Bros
Dark City Fight Club
Sami Callihan
El Generico
TJP
Young Bucks

The last three will probably come back at some point but you could literally build a full company around the guys ROH have lost/given up in the past few years and it would have a better roster than ROH has right now. And only 4 of those talents have left for WWE/TNA out of 16.

And who have we gotten to make up for it?

Mike Bennett
WGTT
Caprice/Alexander
Jay Lethal
Michael Elgin
Mike Mondo
Tommaso Ciampa

Look at the first list I posted and then this one. Almost everyone on that first list outside of DCFC and TJP are main eventing indys, have a WWE contract, or have a significant role in TNA. On the second list WGTT, Elgin, and Lethal are the only ones who could do that.

This is the problem with ROH. The roster has literally died and they've just relied on who's left and a few new guys to carry the whole company. Until this improves ROH isn't getting any better.
We got to give those new guys time to grow and evolve within ROH, most of those other guys were established stars who have been with ROH for years and had quite the following. These new guys such as Elgin are starting to plant their flag and eventually when they all move on to other things we'll be complaining that they're gone, so let's give them time and see how they evolve within ROH and see if they can "wow" us over the course of their stay.
http://www.Twitter.com/manga4life
Championships I recognize/follow
IWGP Heavyweight Championship
ROH World Championship
World Heavyweight Championship (since 2009)
WWE Championship (since 2009)
TelkEvolon

Post by TelkEvolon »

ROH should set up a working relationship with... Whatever Japanese company to bring in for big weekends and shows.

One of the coolest things with ROH has always been their use of international talent.
"Each generation wants new symbols, new people, new names. They want to divorce themselves from their predecessors."

- Jim Morrison
Duke of Bridgewater

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

Why is it impossible to search the catalogue for DVDs featuring a certain wrestler?
It's only possible if the person is part of the current roster.

And, to make it even more weird, Jimmy Jacobs is part of the current roster, but as "Zombie Princess".
Let's see on how many DVDs he can be found: http://www.rohwrestling.com/shop/wrestl ... e-princess
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

With ANX possibly taking the tag titles at BITW, there are too many title changes in such a short amount of time: Steen and WGTT at Border Wars, Strong at SitS Day 2, and now possibly ANX taking the tag straps soon. Don't get me wrong I guess everyone wants to see WGTT lose the belts, but I seriuosly hope this trend of rapid title changes stops soon.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

To defend ROH on that one, I think (read: hope) they realize giving the titles back to WGTT was a massive stumble, and are now probably going to give the belts to ANX as soon as they can to avoid the backlash. I'd imagine them and Steen will have somewhat lengthy reigns.

A problem I have, which I've considered starting a thread for, is the TV title. It feels meaningless almost and doesn't seem important at all. They should really have the champion defend it more to make it different from the other belts.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Jeremy wrote:To defend ROH on that one, I think (read: hope) they realize giving the titles back to WGTT was a massive stumble, and are now probably going to give the belts to ANX as soon as they can to avoid the backlash. I'd imagine them and Steen will have somewhat lengthy reigns.

A problem I have, which I've considered starting a thread for, is the TV title. It feels meaningless almost and doesn't seem important at all. They should really have the champion defend it more to make it different from the other belts.
IMO they juse want to save Briscoes - ANX for Final Battle....
MOOSE!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Jeremy wrote:To defend ROH on that one, I think (read: hope) they realize giving the titles back to WGTT was a massive stumble, and are now probably going to give the belts to ANX as soon as they can to avoid the backlash. I'd imagine them and Steen will have somewhat lengthy reigns.

That or the TV champ could have matches that are actually interesting. Strong and Lethal are no Nigel.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I kind of disagree, Strong can have great matches with anybody on the roster, plus it gives him something to do. Without the title he would be hanging in the air. Hence, I think Strong is a good champion to elevate the title (as opposed to Lethal) by having numerous great title defences against all comers and then bringing one of the rising stars such as Cole, O'Reilly over by dropping the belt to one of them.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

Strong just needs some fresh opponents, like JigsawVs.Jason said, then his reign will be memorable. I'm thinking: Cole, TJP, Taven, (babyface) Elgin, The Briscoes in singles action, maybe even Storm.
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
MenInTights

Post by MenInTights »

A lot of the guys on the roster can't talk. If I was a casual fan, turned on ROH, and a promo was going on, I would turn the channel immediately. With a guy like Jim Cornette in the company, you'd think he would help some of these guys polish they're mic skills... Some people need to be talked into the building, and I can't think of anyone that can do it, besides Steen. Davey has one of the worst promos ever!!
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

MenInTights wrote:Davey has one of the worst promos ever!!
One of the worst ever? No way!
Not the best? Ok.
Bad? Maybe. Your opinion.
But one of the worst ever? That's just not true.
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

But, in general, I agree with you, as far as the need for better promos in ROH is concerned.
MenInTights

Post by MenInTights »

Davey puts me to sleep when he talks.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:I kind of disagree, Strong can have great matches with anybody on the roster, plus it gives him something to do. Without the title he would be hanging in the air. Hence, I think Strong is a good champion to elevate the title (as opposed to Lethal) by having numerous great title defences against all comers and then bringing one of the rising stars such as Cole, O'Reilly over by dropping the belt to one of them.
I hope Strong can do that, but he just doesn't have the momentum and calibre of opponents he had several years ago. Also, Nigel elevated his entire gimmick to make the Pure title mean something.
ColourMeCurious

Post by ColourMeCurious »

DanielBryanson wrote:
MenInTights wrote:Davey has one of the worst promos ever!!
One of the worst ever? No way!
Not the best? Ok.
Bad? Maybe. Your opinion.
But one of the worst ever? That's just not true.
Wolves.
Brothers.
Spirit.

best promo guy ever.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

His post-match promos are even worse. "You fans just saw the MATCH OF THE YEAR between two WRESTLERS, not sports entertainers!" It was pretty annoying.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Jeremy wrote:His post-match promos are even worse. "You fans just saw the MATCH OF THE YEAR between two WRESTLERS, not sports entertainers!" It was pretty annoying.
There should be a blowjob promo competition between John Cena and Davey Richards.