Project Rewatch - ROH: The Good Shit

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Re: Project Rewatch - ROH: The Good Shit

Post by supersonic »

And the full archive is posted - looking forward to any discussion or questions you guys may have on the past eras of the company.
GrizzlyHorsemen

Post by GrizzlyHorsemen »

Very good reads, will you post more at some point? You enjoyed the Daniels/Williams match much more than I did but everything else was fairly close to me (except the Briscoes vs AJ/Red series). Good writing style though bud.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Oh fuck yeah there's gonna be more. It will suck having no more Paul London MOTYCs, but I'm not even close to reaching ROH's in-ring, creative peak.
ROHWorld_Jon
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Jon »

I'm loving this thread. I haven't seen much of any of ROH's first couple of years, but I've been trying to pick matches here and there from the Ringside Membership to watch. I'm also thinking of getting the first year DVD they recently released. But this is an awesome read and I hope you keep it up :D
Teenage Mutant Nana Turtle
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I'm planning to continue tomorrow with Death Before Dishonor and Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies.
GrizzlyHorsemen

Post by GrizzlyHorsemen »

Really interested to see your thought when we get to Beating the Odds (I think) for the Fight Without Honor between Acid and Cide... BTW when did you actually do the re-watch? I did my re-watch project last summer
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I'm reviewing as I rewatch. Overtime isn't available at work and I'm not currently furthering my education, so that gives me more time. Neck spasms keep me away from the gym currently too. But the NHL and NBA take a lot of TV time away this time of year.

I recall Acid vs. Homicide II being better than the original the couple times I've seen it. We'll see once I get there.
Chaosphere

Post by Chaosphere »

This has made for some great reading. Really enjoying it and I hope you can continue to steam roll through the product some more soon.

I can't remember if it was any good as it's been years since I've seen it but, how come you didn't rewatch Jay Briscoes vs Spanky from RRC?

Keep up the tremendous work.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Jay vs. Kendrick was the equivalent of your average Kofi Kingston singles match on Raw. It just happened to have some blood thrown in on accident.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Death Before Dishonor - July 19, 2003

Hardcore Match
Entire Carnage Crew vs. Hotstuff Hernandez, Fast Eddie Vegas, Don Juan, & Rudy Boy Gonzalez

Just shit. Absolute utter fucking shit. Nothing but a huge pile of idiotic, career-shortening moves. NEXT.

Rating: DUD

Doug Williams vs. Tom Carter

Technically proficient, but not all that engaging. Gabe Sapolsky taking a shot at WWE for calling this kind of action "boring" was almost a foreshadowing of this match. Williams vs. Christopher Daniels showed how to execute a classic without playing to the crowd. This one however did not.

Rating: ***

ROH Title Shot Match
Homicide vs. Dan Maff vs. BJ Whitmer vs. Colt Cabana

Yeah, you could feel that this match has Maff instead of Paul London like at Revenge on the Prophecy. Yet another match where the ref stopped giving a shit about legal tags (why not just even require them then?) but at least the moment that caused it was understandable (unlike a match later on this show.) Mega points for Cabana selling the top-rope exploder after the match like it fucking ended his life.

Rating: ***1/2

Dog-Collar Match
CM Punk vs. Raven

This surprisingly fell short of my expectations after the wild Night of the Grudges and Wrestlerave matches. Perhaps it's my fault for expecting an insane MOTYC instead of just a good match. The storytelling was there and that was ultimately most important, but the pacing couldn't match it. However, this is where it became obvious that Punk really had potential for the major leagues, as his heat segments were FAR more interesting than Raven's. The post-match has lost its specialness also due to all the indy appearances that Tommy Dreamer has made since.

Tag Titles Match
AJ Styles & Amazing Red vs. Briscoe Bros.

Yeah I'm never watching this series again. The psychology effort was there for Red's knee, but this was perhaps the worst tag team officiating I've ever seen. The story should have been VERY easy also to make this a MOTYC - little Red keeps getting worked on with the knee, ultimately gets the hot tag, and the ferocious Styles runs a house of fire, Red finds everything within himself to help Styles finish the match with a jaw-dropping, logical finish and then kicks the other Briscoe out of the way to prevent the finishing pinfall from being interrupted.

Rating: Less than ***

ROH Title Match - Paul London's Farewell
Samoa Joe vs. Paul London

This was a good match, but for obvious reasons did not come close to reaching MOTYC status. There was a pretty damn big missed opportunity when Joe missed the boot scrapes and caught his knee in the ropes, and then they didn't follow up on it at all. What this was though was a sample of what these two could do in the right circumstances, and it's unfortunate that it appears that will never happen. There is nothing that stands out as being bad about this match at all - it just wasn't put in the position to meet its fullest potential.

Rating: ***1/4

Up next - Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies
Matches will include:
Xavier vs. Christopher Daniels
Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk
Steve Corino vs. Homicide
Last edited by supersonic on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies - August 16, 2003

Wrath of the Racket stock photo - https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4308/3576 ... bc8f30.jpg

Raven cuts a solid promo to start the DVD, and reminds me of the most important part of Wrath of the Racket (which I skipped) - Lucy's mysterious attack.

ROH Title Shot Match
Xavier vs. Christopher Daniels

The pre-match promo did a perfect job in laying the psychological groundwork for what turned out to be a forgotten classic. To me, this holds up extremely well over the years and has gotten better; I consider it the second most under-appreciated match in ROH history. The match starts off as a feeling-out process, which for two stablemates you would think it was a waste of time, but you must recall this is Xavier's first major ROH match in five months. He needed to use the feel-out to not only get his feet wet again, but also show Daniels that he was his equal as an in-ring technician and could one-up the real Prophecy leader. Eventually though the real meat of the story came into play.

Knowing that the same strategy worked on Paul London at Retribution: Robin Challenge II and almost on Doug Williams at Night of Champions, Daniels focused the majority of his work on Xavier's ribs, which cost the former ROH Champion many opportunities to finish the match (such as being in too much pain to pin Daniels after a successful 450 splash.) It was quite obvious to me that during his time away, Xavier studied those two classics Daniels had, in particular the loss against Williams. If you recall, Williams worked heavily on the neck of Daniels (a fairly well-known injury since WCW) in that one, which is what Xavier went for in this one.

Not only is the neck work brilliant because of the backstory to the Daniels vs. Williams match, but it plays into how Xavier had successfully defeated Paul London twice, as his finish is a modified (more dangerous) version of the neckbreaker. The selling of both men in this one was quite phenomenal, and makes you wonder what exactly caused Xavier to pretty much drift off into obscurity over the past several years. Based on the day, I may say this tops Xavier's emotional encounter against London at the One Year Anniversary Show.

What I really love about this one is that it legitimized Xavier and showed after all almost a full year of usually not living up to his position in the company, he deserved it and was finally ready. He not only went toe-to-toe technically with the established Daniels, he went toe-to-toe with him in terms of selling and playing the psychological games. In the end, Daniels proved he was superior when it came down to who knew how to play dirty and get away with it. A VERY pleasant surprise here, and I encourage Alan (of f4wonline.com) to go back and watch the work of Daniels in the early days of ROH. He was just tremendous.

Rating: ****1/4

Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk

Nothing more than a delicious appetizer for the full course meals these two would later deliver. I appreciated the simply storytelling of Joe's arm vs. Punk's leg, since they were both injured. This would be a great match to end an episode of SmackDown! with.

If you've already got the 2004 trilogy from the Allied Forces DVD, go ahead and get the improved 2-disc version. This match is a nice extra to the iconic shoot interview it comes with.

Relaxed Rules Match
Steve Corino vs. Homicide

This is one that stands the test of time.

Quite easily the best gimmick match up to that point, and for good reason. Not only does it have the epic brutality, but at all times it kept the crowd engaged. To have this style of match, which was based on simple hatred, and not focused on jaw-dropping spots, and have the crowd buying NEAR-FALLS at the end is something that should be seen to be truly believed.

What separates this also from the previous gimmick matches in ROH is that it wasn't a pile of career-ending moves. There wasn't a significant rest period. There wasn't a lack of storytelling. They didn't go out there and kill a bunch of finishers. Everything meant something in this match. If there was anything wrong with the match, it's that a got a bit TOO brutal and caused injuries (making rest time needed but not too significantly), which kept the match from reaching the level of Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker at Bad Blood 1997 or Triple H vs. Cactus Jack at Royal Rumble 2000. But you need not worry - this match still holds up today and is probably the greatest match of both men's careers, in front of a crowd of just 250 fans.

Rating: ****1/2

Punk closes out the show with yet another phenomenal self-important promo.

Up next - Beating the Odds
Matches will include:
Trent Acid vs. Homicide
Last edited by supersonic on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Beating the Odds - September 6, 2003

Relaxed Rules Match
Trent Acid vs. Homicide

A good match, but doesn't match the unforgettable insanity of Wrestlerave. That also means this match was safer for both men. Since the rest of the show is pretty much mediocrity, this would be good to include on a new Homicide comp once that comes around.

Up next - Glory By Honor II
Matches will include:
Alexis Laree's ROH farewell
Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels
Last edited by supersonic on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Glory By Honor II - September 20, 2003

Alexis Laree's ROH Farewell

I'm not going to analyze this segment, as it was what it was. Instead, I'm going to use this to point out something that I should have pointed out when Mickie James made her debut at Crowning a Champion - she is hands down the cutest woman I've ever seen in wrestling.

Prior to his match against Terry Funk, CM Punk cuts another excellent heel promo on the legend; no, I'm not watching that match.

ROH Title Match
Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels

This felt like a feud-ending Randy Orton match on SmackDown! - very good but nowhere close to a MOTYC. That said, I can understand why fans claimed it was ****+ after the fucking show they sat through. Daniels showed a different strategy in this match, one that I don't find personally as engaging as his work against Xavier, Paul London, and Doug Williams. Instead of working a body part, he tried relying on his quickness, concerned that Joe's mass and aggression would overcome the technique. In the end, Joe proved that Daniels brought a failed gameplan.

Rating: ***3/4

Up next - Tradition Continues
Matches will include:
CM Punk vs. AJ Styles
Xavier vs. Mark Briscoe vs. Homicide vs. John Walters
Samoa Joe vs. Jay Briscoe
Last edited by supersonic on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Tradition Continues - October 16, 2003

CM Punk vs. AJ Styles

This was quite a bit better than I remembered. Not the most engaging since they must have known they'd have rematches in the near future, but a satisfying surprise since I last saw this. I enjoyed the focus on the back of Styles to try to disable his high-flying and leg-based offense. Punk also did a great job of continuing to just be an annoying shithead (in a way that engages the viewer and audience.)

Xavier vs. Mark Briscoe vs. Homicide vs. John Walters

Just a pile of moves and not five minutes went before the ref stopped enforcing tags. I don't understand why these matches didn't just start as tornado rules. I turned this off halfway through, as I knew this match was just gonna be more moves and nothing else. All four guys are a lot better than this transparent attempt to just make the Baltimore crowd (this was the debut show for that martket) ejaculate and beg for an ROH return.

ROH Title Match
Samoa Joe vs. Jay Briscoe

Not as great as I remember, but still a damn fine main event to elevate Jay as a singles competitor. This match, following his matches at Beating the Odds and Glory By Honor II, showed that there was nothing whatsoever about Joe's personality that was worthy of being respected. In retrospect, for a several month period, it's quite apparent that the ONLY reason Joe got babyface reactions during this period was because of how bad-ass he was and he followed Xavier's unsatisfying reign.

Up next - Empire State Showdown
Matches will include:
John Walters vs. Christopher Daniels
Last edited by supersonic on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Empire State Showdown - October 25, 2003

John Walters vs. Christopher Daniels

This was almost going to be quite the technical classic, but it was almost completely ruined by the spotfest it became at the end. I will tack on extra 1/2* since Daniels sold the legwork post-match, although he didn't sell it as much as he should have. Walters really went to work on the left leg of Daniels and it deserved to be sold for all the effort that was put into that segment of that match. Walters wasn't as guilty with selling his back, which was the target for Daniels, but he showed some no-sell issues in the end also. If the finishing sequence had been based off the first 90% of the match, this would have been a surefire classic and a breakout performance for Walters.

Xavier starts heading back toward my doghouse for his promo in the post-match.

Up next - Man Event Spectacles
Matches will include:
Homicide vs. BJ Whitmer
Scramble Cage Match
AJ Styles vs. Bryan Danielson
Last edited by supersonic on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Main Event Spectacles - November 1, 2003

"Fighting Spirit Challenge"
Homicide vs. BJ Whitmer

I'm not sure why Gabe Sapolsky thought having Whitmer kick out of the Kudo Driver, in an artificial attempt to get the uncharismatic insomnia cure over with the audience, and doing nothing to organically lead to such a major moment, was a better idea than just giving into Low Ki and jobbing Homicide in what would have been a surefire great match.

I had to take a break after this match due to the frustration of it. Homicide pre-TNA was a lot better than this. A LOT better - even the matches with Trent Acid had so much effort behind the spotfests that they were that someone as hard-to-please as me could respect and admire them. This was your typical non-gimmick Whitmer match, in which a list of moves is thrown onto a sheet of paper and they kick out of them. Time has not been kind to this one.

Scramble Cage Match
Backseat Boyz vs. Teddy Hart & Jack Evans vs. Carnage Crew vs. The SAT vs. Angeldust & Hydro (Jay Lethal)

Another mindless spotfest, but with a lot more charm and open honesty. I should note that two of my absolute favoritest grapplers of all-time locked up to start this one - Teddy Hart and Trent Acid. While the match was a complete mess, it is a carwreck that should be seen at least once in every wrestling fan's lifetime. It didn't go on for too long, and in fact ended at the perfect time now that I think about it. This kind of match though is HORRIBLE for pacing a show.

Rating: less than ***

ROH Title Shot Match
AJ Styles vs. Bryan Danielson

After sitting through what I consider to be a horrendous in-ring show that has not stood the test of time, this one saved it in spades. This should have easily been a five star match, but I blame the Scramble Cage for burning the crowd out, as well as the awful fourway in between. This match deserved a Philly, NYC, or Boston crowd.

Not only did these men build off of their All Star Extravaganza classic, but they obviously studied their five star classics against Paul London too. In this one, Danielson came one step closer to his heel turn that was lurking inside him, and instead of a sympathetic London, you had the ultra-aggressive Styles instead. A recipe for a MOTYC if you ask me.

The counters in this match, which were a mix of new stuff as well as moves from their previous major matches, were just beautiful and graceful. The psychology, going back-and-forth between the left arm of Styles and Danielson's left knee, was nothing short of breathtaking. The aggression, not just fueled by the competitive professional spirit of both men, was only intensified all-the-more as both men gave it their all for another shot at the company's premier championship.

If Sapolsky had just paced this event better, this contest could have been on the same level of matches that both men had with London earlier in 2003. This is where the pacing problems began to glare for Sapolsky before he cut a lot of Rob Feinstein's dead weight in 2004. The crowd heat suffered going into this one, and that is through absolutely no fault of AJ Styles or Bryan Danielson.

Not only is the 2/3 falls match against London on Danielson's new ROH comp, but this match is as well. As if you needed another reason to get that DVD now. If you haven't seen this match already, get that comp during the current ongoing sale ROH is having.

Rating: ****1/2

Good Times, Great Memories
Guests: Carnage Crew

A fantastic edition of Colt Cabana's talk show, as he just had so much FUN chemistry with Loc & Devito.

Steve Corino closes out the show with a fantastic promo that has me pumped for his no rope barbed wire match against Homicide.

Up next - The Conclusion
Matches will include:
Homicide vs. John Walters
Briscoe Bros. vs. Samoa Joe & AJ Styles
CM Punk vs. Raven
Last edited by supersonic on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The Conclusion - November 28, 2003

Homicide vs. John Walters

A nice undercard match to help elevate Walters and keep Homicide's momentum going for the feud with Steve Corino. I loved how testy these two got with one another and that Walters was coming so close to getting his first major victory in the company. Why this gets forgotten in favor of that shitty BJ Whitmer match from Main Event Spectacles is quite the appalling mystery.

Tag Titles Match
Briscoe Bros. vs. Samoa Joe & AJ Styles

A good but forgettable tag match. It had all the basics down on paper - manipulation by the Briscoes, aggression for Styles, furthering the Joe vs. Briscoes feud, Joe and Styles losing their chemistry at the end - it just didn't have the pace to make this anywhere near a classic. Still a million light years ahead of the series involving Amazing Red though.

Rating: ***

Loser Leaves Town - Cage Match
Raven vs. CM Punk

Now this is more like it. A nice way to finish this feud, as it didn't have the pedestrian crowd-brawling spilling over from the days of ECW and Vince Russo. This had hatred and a sense of urgency thanks to the stipulation, but at the end the issue between the two of them almost cost each other the match. Just a great cage match, and while this feud has been topped over and over again in the past decade, this is the one that made Punk a CHARACTER to build the federation around.

Rating: ****

Up next - War of the Wire
Matches will include:
Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles
Homicide vs. Steve Corino
Last edited by supersonic on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

War of the Wire - November 29, 2003

ROH Title Match
Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles

A pleasant surprise, as this was damn good and quite a bit better than I remembered. I loved the counters in this one, and Styles brought his ferocity as usual to combat Joe's size. My favorite spot had to be when Styles jumped over the guardrail and did a jumping lariat instead of attempting something leg-based - it showed that he respected Joe's studying and training habits too much to risk repeating spots done in the title shot matches against Paul London and Bryan Danielson. In the end though, Styles completely wore himself out (especially by POWERBOMBING Joe) and that cost him the match, as Joe still had enough stamina to finish him.

Rating: ****

No Rope Barbed Wire Match
Homicide vs. Steve Corino

Just a tad bit below their Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies epic for me personally, but this was still a classic nonetheless. Their initial fear of the barb wire, quickly being overcome by the pure hatred they had towards one another, was gorgeous to watch. This match, which on the surface just looks to be nothing more than an OMG gorefest, actually had a bigger purpose - how much pain would these men put their own selves through to inflict it on each other? This mentality they both displayed throughout the match, as well as how their previous match concluded, was nothing short of breathtaking as they reached the finish. These two awesome matches not only were masterful in terms of showing how much animosity there was, but also had both coming out as even more bad-ass than they were before.

Rating: ****1/4

Up next - Final Battle 2003
Matches will include:
Jay Briscoe vs. Bryan Danielson
Xavier vs. John Walters
Turmeric Storm vs. CM Punk & Colt Cabana
Last edited by supersonic on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Final Battle 2003 - December 27, 2003

Jay Briscoe vs. Bryan Danielson

A damn fine opener that did its job - get the blood flowing for the crowd, but don't have a MOTYC, and keep the match logical. These two could have easily main evented a show and had a ****+ match. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to the Briscoes vs. Samoa Joe & Danielson match on the next show.

This also happens to be on Danielson's new ROH comp.

Hardcore Match
Xavier vs. John Walters

Very similar to the Homicide vs. Trent Acid match at Wrestlerave, but not quite the amazing spectacle. There's a lot of shit in this match that I'm sure both men regret, especially the finish. Another stupidly entertaining spot was the springboard 450 to the outside on Walters through a table. I'm sure that was worth it. Really fun match not only to end this mid-card feud, but conclude the journey of Walters to his first major singles victory.

Who Attacked Lucy?

After all these months of building this up, shows and matches being interrupted, planting the seeds for this mega-feud, this major push goes to...

BJ Whitmer. Yeah. He certainly earned it after that shitty Field of Honor final earlier in the night.

Turmeric Storm vs. CM Punk & Colt Cabana

I really enjoyed this TAG TEAM match quite a bit. There wasn't a single moment of failure to enforce tag rules, and pinfalls were only counted for the legal men. This is important because when rules are enforced, it makes the insanity mean more when it happens on rare occasion. Much like the opener, this wasn't meant to be a MOTYC - it did its job of just being a good match after intermission, and it's a shame the other AJPW matches that followed couldn't take a cue from this one.

Guests: Special K

Short and sweet. I'm starting to see why Carnage Crew are missed - I'd certainly take them over Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin.

SUPER DUPER ROH 2003 AWARDS

Wrestler of the Year:
Homicide and Christopher Daniels
Runner-up - Paul London

Debut of the Year:
BJ Whitmer - Revenge on the Prophecy

Breakout Performance of the Year:
CM Punk on the microphone @ Do or Die

Feud/Rivalry of the Year:
Raven vs. CM Punk
Runner-up - Homicide vs. Steve Corino and Samoa Joe vs. Briscoe Bros.

Show of the Year:
One Year Anniversary Show
Runner-up - Revenge on the Prophecy and Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies

Moment of the Year:
Paul London's farewell @ Death Before Dishonor
Runner-up - Samoa Joe's ROH title win @ Night of Champions and Great Muta's appearance @ Final Battle 2003

Match of the Year:
Paul London vs. Bryan Danielson - The Epic Encounter *****
Runner-up - AJ Styles vs. Paul London - Night of the Grudges *****

ROH's Top 10 Matches of 2003 (in chronological order):
Low Ki vs. Paul London vs. AJ Styles - One Year Anniversary Show ****1/4
Xavier vs. Paul London - One Year Anniversary Show ****
Christopher Daniels vs. Doug Williams - Night of Champions ****3/4
Paul London vs. Bryan Danielson - The Epic Encounter *****
Paul London vs. Christopher Daniels - Retribution: Round Robin Challenge II ****1/2
AJ Styles vs. Paul London - Night of the Grudges *****
Xavier vs. Christopher Daniels - Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies ****1/4
Steve Corino vs. Homicide - Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies ****1/2
AJ Styles vs. Bryan Danielson - Main Event Spectacles ****1/2
Homicide vs. Steve Corino - War of the Wire ****1/4

Up next - The Battle Lines Are Drawn
Matches will include:
Alex Shelley vs. Matt Stryker
Homicide vs. AJ Styles
Briscoe Bros. vs. Samoa Joe & Bryan Danielson
Second City Saints vs. Christopher Daniels, Dan Maff, & BJ Whitmer
Last edited by supersonic on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The Battle Lines Are Drawn - January 10, 2004

Pure Wrestling Rules Match
Alex Shelley vs. Matt Stryker

A damn fine opener here, as Stryker's lack of charisma wasn't quite so obvious yet and he was working with the always tremendous Shelley. Great psychology, great selling, great storytelling. Get the crowd pumped for the rest of the night. Most importantly, get the new gimmick division over. A nice challenger to Bryan Danielson's matches against Jay Briscoe and Christopher Daniels for best ROH opener ever.

Guest: Ace Steel

Yeah this RULED until CM Punk showed up and convinced Ace Steel to do his retarded "look at me, I'm a pissed off motherfucker" face that nobody ever bought.

Homicide vs. AJ Styles

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this one. For some reason, I was honestly expecting an empty spotfest. Instead, you got two men who respected one another but would absolutely push each other as competitors. This got vicious, this got heated, and had some decent storytelling too. I could see this getting better with more viewings.

Tag Titles Match
Briscoe Bros. vs. Samoa Joe & Bryan Danielson

Another damn good match - I shudder to think of this rematch in 2006-2008. It ultimately became a battle of which sum was greater - the Briscoes' chemistry under the new tutelage of Jim Cornette, or the aggression and determination of Joe & Danielson? Mix in some better selling with this match and you would have had a MOTYC right here.

The Second City Saints vs. Christopher Daniels, Dan Maff, & BJ Whitmer

I've never quite understood the psychology of why the Prophecy were treated as babyfaces by the commentary and crowd. I know that Punk was obnoxious and overbearing. He even attacked a woman before. But did his crimes fit the punishment of someone he viewed as a loved one being put into a hospital for months?

When Punk attacked Trinity at Expect the Unexpected, he didn't do it so severely as to scar her for life or say fuck you to Raven. He did it to make sure she was a non-factor in that hardcore match. That's it. He treated Raven like absolute shit, but you could tell he had some conviction into his reasoning for it. He honestly believed that Raven was a piece of trash.

Daniels & Whitmer had absolutely no justifiable reason for what they did to Lucy. OH NOEZ Whitmer, Punk was being mean to you about that shitty match you had with him. Yeah, that totally makes it okay to hospitalize a woman for an extended period of time just because she was significant to him.

For Daniels, he was obviously tired of getting his ass kicked by Low Ki, Styles, Joe, and Doug Williams, so he moved onto Punk just to fuck with him mentally. Maybe he felt that after the way he treated the company by shitting on the Code of Honor, going after Punk would win him the locker room and he could wiggle his way into getting the company to do favors for him. What he didn't realize is how narcissistic Punk could truly be, and karma came biting HARD.

I also had complete empathy for Punk - if one of my loved ones was hospitalized or murdered, I'd be out for blood as well. Anybody who would sabotage me would face my consequences too. When this kind of line is crossed, it's pure emotion. But with his attitude during this match (I don't have a problem with what he did afterwards), the only parties that truly deserved empathy were Cabana and Maff (for being team players and true friends) and Lucy (for the obvious reason.)

This match for unknown reasons started as a regular tag, only to get out of control later on. With the heat this feud already had, there was no reason to make it anything but a gimmick match from the get-go. That said, Maff's performance as Ricky Morton in this contest was REALLY impressive considering he's Dan Maff.

I don't understand why Punk was playing a chickenshit in this - he was the one out for revenge, not Daniels or anyone else on the Prophecy. Just weird. I guess everyone just decided to play along with the crowd reaction to both factions.

The real story of this whole chapter was in the post-match. The message was sent loud and clear: You do NOT fuck with CM Punk. EVER. There are severe consequences for doing so. Just like what happened to Lucy, Daniels was put into hospitalization as well. Whitmer's lucky he was still left standing.

Afterwards, Punk cuts a tremendous promo explaining how karma came back to bite Daniels. Maff then followed up with a laughable attempt at an emotional promo, and completely overlooking that his friends put their hands in the cookie jar first.

This whole thing was for the most part entertaining, due to the sheer work of all men involved (yes, that includes Steel and Whitmer.) But with a more logical layout to the storyline and match, this could have maybe been THE Match of the Year. Instead, it's a fun spectacle that did the most it could with its logic shortcomings.

Up next - The Last Stand
Matches will include:
Jimmy Jacobs vs. Alex Shelley
CM Punk vs. Homicide
Briscoe Bros. vs. Samoa Joe & Jerry Lynn
Last edited by supersonic on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:48 am, edited 5 times in total.