ROH DVD Sales as of Late

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

ROH DVD Sales as of Late

Post by Montana »

What do you currently think of the current state of ROH DVD sales, and do you think the company is concerned??

Just based on internet hype, Ebay, and other discussion I have to wonder who really still buys new DVD's from the ROH site. Seems like if you not a ringside, it would cost you over 20$ to have ONE DVD shipped to your door. Since ROH no longer comes to Detroit (i'm sure some other markets are in teh same boat, Boston/Toronto maybe) I would think they would be losing a lot of DVD sales that way as well. I've got the whole ROH collection up until DBD 2011, and really my interest in keeping up with the collection has gone south. I just feel like now the new regime doesn't care as much about the fans. (Live shows, DVD's, new talent, fresh match ups, the product in general) and all their concern is on the TV show. I look on EBay here and there, and i don't even see any newer DVDs on there anymore. All the old ones, are selling for cheap.

Is anyone else feel the same way about the current state of ROH DVD's? Should ROH want to give their DVD sales a boost?
DanielBryanson

Re: ROH DVD Sales as of Late

Post by DanielBryanson »

I don't buy too many DVDs in general anymore, but the last five DVDs (all Best of-sets) I bought from ROH, I intentionally paid the full price for, just because I wanted ROH to make some money and be able to keep going. (No, I'm neither rich nor stupid. I just feel like I have to support ROH - at least - from time to time. If no one buys anything from them, one day there won't be no more ROH, you know?)
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
Colt45

Post by Colt45 »

Unfortunately ROH doesn't get a nickel from me, instead my $ goes to private sellers and their marked up OOP dvds. If ROH was smart they'd reprint the old shows (no dvd-r crap), because there are still a lot of fans willing to buy them.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Thanks for the replies. In no way do I feel you are stupid for wanting to support Roh. Hell, I've bought 100's of dvd's from Roh, but now Roh wants to cater to a new audience, rather than giving thanks to original members. If I have every DVD, why should I pay for the ringside membership? On top of that, Roh doesn't even run live shows In Detroit currently, but Ohio, Wisconsin, Baltimore and several new markets have been developed but can't draw near det, Boston, Toronto numbers. Long story short, this is why I see a drop in DVD sales.

Currently the only product I support Roh in is the ippvs.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

I still buy DVDs (not the best ofs as I have most of the content already) out of habit. Still havent watched Rise and Prove or the 10th Anni show yet (watched on ippv though).

I still prefer watching the DVDs to stuff online, its a lot better and more comfortable. Havent got the SITS on dvd yet and Im in no rush to, kind of fed up with the new regime, I agree with Montana it seems like they dont care about the fans.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

classic-cabana wrote:I still buy DVDs (not the best ofs as I have most of the content already) out of habit. Still havent watched Rise and Prove or the 10th Anni show yet (watched on ippv though).

I still prefer watching the DVDs to stuff online, its a lot better and more comfortable. Havent got the SITS on dvd yet and Im in no rush to, kind of fed up with the new regime, I agree with Montana it seems like they dont care about the fans.
Agree with much of this. Not sure about the 'they don't care about the fans' line - but I will agree that SBG have treated and ran ROH much more like a business, focused on profits and finance rather than ROH under Cary/Gabe etc which was very much focused around giving the fans as much great product for their money as they possibly could

I still buy all the DVD's - and will continue to do so as long as they are released on that format. I absolutely HATE watching stuff online and only do it with the TV show and the odd iPPV, and I honestly am fearing that the day they stop releasing the shows on DVD may well be the day I stop watching...
Duke of Bridgewater

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

Since becoming a wrestling fan again three years ago, my wrestling consume is almost exclusively on DVD.

(Recently I started to buy MP4 downloads from Smartmarkvideo. This is a good alternative, especially since the shipping cost to Germany is really high and sometimes customs also wants a share of my money.
But for really important shows, I will always choose DVD.)

I don't buy iPPV, so DVD is the only way to watch ROH (except the weekly TV) for me.
Montana wrote:I just feel like now the new regime doesn't care as much about the fans. (Live shows, DVD's, new talent, fresh match ups, the product in general) and all their concern is on the TV show.
I've only bought one DVD produced under the new regime: Gateway to Honor. I love it, but probably for the "wrong" reasons. The midcard (match 3 to 7) was fine, but I don't care for the semi- and main event.
This reminds me of WCW in the 90s, where I also prefered the midcarders over the maineventers.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

Just like DanielBryanson, I too buy the dvds from the site to support ROH. Even though $26 is a little pricey. I don't buy every dvd roh releases, but I have bought around 10 so far this year. I love the best of sets because I missed out on the stuff before 2007.
Duke of Bridgewater

DanielBryanson wrote:I intentionally paid the full price for ... I just feel like I have to support ROH
It's sometimes difficult to avoid the sales. There seems to be one almost every week.

I do this too, to support good indy wrestling. If I think a promotion does it right, I pay the full price or even more. And if I think they don't, I usually don't buy the DVD at all.

Unfortunately, I don't think the new regime does it right.
ROH Fan 81

Post by ROH Fan 81 »

Can someone explain why exactly ROH doesen't sale their older shows on DVD? They are losing out on tons and tons of money. They could go to ebay and see that for themselves. Since I started trying to go for the whole collection last August I have sepnt around 3 grand purchasing ROH dvds. I would say maybe 500 of that went to ROH the rest to ebay and a guy I found online who sales them to me. I only buy dvds from ROH when there is a sale or at live events since their only 15 bucks. Just seems like they are throwing money away not selling them.
Duke of Bridgewater

I think they don't want to use DVD-R. For real DVDs, they have to order a huge batch of copies and they don't think the demand is high enough.
(At least that's what Dave Prazak said, asked the same question about Shimmer.)
Wedge

Post by Wedge »

I didn't find ROH until mid-2008 by which point they had already sold out over 60 shows. I have managed to get all but 6 shows from the beginning to 2011 but probably 100+ have been from Highspots & Ebay that I would have preferred to get from ROH as well.
On a positive note I finally got my hands on Revenge on the Prophecy this morning.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Duke of Bridgewater wrote:
DanielBryanson wrote:I intentionally paid the full price for ... I just feel like I have to support ROH
It's sometimes difficult to avoid the sales. There seems to be one almost every week.

I do this too, to support good indy wrestling. If I think a promotion does it right, I pay the full price or even more. And if I think they don't, I usually don't buy the DVD at all.

Unfortunately, I don't think the new regime does it right.
They rarely ever have salesnow.. And if they do its clearance sale. When i first got into ROH back in 2006, they had sales every week and great sales. buy 3 get 1 free, which is mediocore sale back then but i wish for one now. But buy 3 get 2 free was amazing. I also loved the 10.00 a dvd on old shows. plus they had the 25 5 off and 30 % off sales.

Now they think getting a ringside membership is worth it. Ring side membership is for new fans only. I'm sure most old fans have all the old shows so paying 7.99 to save a few bucks isn't even worth it. I refuse to pay full price though so its my loss as far as getting new shows is concerned. I'm sure they will have a good sale in May for whatever day the States celebrate and July 4th should bring a sale too. I
ROHdk

Post by ROHdk »

I still buy all new shows on DVD. I just got Rise & Prove, and the 10th Anniversary Show is the next one I buy. I don't watch the PPVs live, as I live in Europe, and it's a bit difficult due to the time difference. So I stick to watching the shows on DVD. The issues that has been with PPV streaming lately, makes me not want to order PPVs.

I preferred the old DVD subscription packages, they were great. I'd wish ROH would start selling them again.

It's a bit expensive keeping up with the DVDs. I also buy all new WWE shows, plus most of the compilations they release. A bit expensive, but I like collecting DVDs.
TelkEvolon

Post by TelkEvolon »

I've purchased every DVD as hey came out since Driven 2007. I'll normaly wait a bit then buy like 20 at a time. The last DVD I got was Death Before Dishonor IX, since they they have been spitting out the DVDs like crazy, so it's about time to make a big 'ol order and with the sale this weekend, looks like the perfect time.
"Each generation wants new symbols, new people, new names. They want to divorce themselves from their predecessors."

- Jim Morrison
Montana

Post by Montana »

I wanted to re- input this thread to get people input 2.5 years later. When i was looking back, i thought this thread may only be 1 year old, but it was 2.5, so it's amazing how time flys. So fast forward those 2 years. ROH is still pushing the ringside membership, The TV show, and IPPV's and Live PPV's. Are they still pushing their DVD's with the same push?

I could be wrong, but i feel more and more people are going digital with their viewing habits. So if ROH really wanted to sell a bunch of DVD's, you would think reduce the cost for the DVD itself. I haven't followed the site that close, but it seems the sales are few and far between, and typically the discounts wouldn't even cover shipping, unless a ringside member. Almost zero 2014 show DVD's are on Ebay within the US, which to me, means ROH isn't selling DVD's that well anymore. But does ROH care? probably not i'm guessing.

WIll ROH change at some point? What would be the smart thing to do? Me personally , i think offering more, for a little more money, could go a long way. For Example, Summer Heat Tour, (2-3 DVD Set - 30$) Best in the World 3 show DVD Set, 30$. All their comps are 2 disc for 20$ , so why would a new with 50% of the content be priced the same. As long as were thinking "smart things to do" as i've mentioned years back, ROH needs a quality app, not only for Android/Iphone, but Roku's and PS3/Xbox could go a long way. It makes it more readily available for digital consumers. I love ROH, and understand their financial constraints, but from a business perspective, i think they should be generating a lot more money than they currently are.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Every live show I go to, the DVDs sell out every time (in NY). At the shows, they're 5 dollars less than on the site, so show DVDs are $15, and I think the comps stay at $20. So, people really go and stock up, as I see people grab 3 or 4 DVDs at a time, and I certainly stock up as well.

I would love if ROH started doing digital downloads (MP4 or AVI) because of the amount of physical space DVDs can take up (if/when you start buying a lot). I'm not sure if they'll ever do it, but we'll see.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I think the way they have done it with the digital download only last a year is quite smart, as it still makes you buy the DVD for a show you thought was particularly worth owning. That being said, I have always been more of a DVD guy than a digital download guy, but as I look around my room, I will fully admit that I am running out of space for my DVDs, and I do feel a bit silly because I know that I will most likely never rewatch most of the content on many of those DVDs.

I have also noticed the lack of 2014 (and even late 2013) DVDs on ebay in the US. I think large part of that is that people aren't buying them because the shipping price was raised to what really feels like an unreasonable rate. Even with my ringside membership, ordering one DVD is still more expensive than it used to be to order one DVD when there was no sale going on of any kind.
The lack of sales (by which I mean special discounts for a limited period of time) might actually be another reason for the lack of DVDs being bought.

As for how they are pushing the DVDs, I really felt like they were often completely ignored on the TV show, but in the past two months, they have actually been airing some good commercials to push them, especially ASE VI.
ZTStyles

Post by ZTStyles »

I would like to see ROH go the downloadable MP4 route similar to what SMV has done. Make it a cheaper option than buying the physical disc, and make it an actual downloadable file that could be loaded on something like an iPad or a flash drive that could be plugged into a game console for viewing. Not streaming.

ROH would get even more money from me if they did that.
Check out the An Honorable Mention podcast... I voice stuff on it!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

There's a reason I wait for either a $5 sale or just buying them in person on WrestleMania weekend.