Collinsville 11.06.11 Detailed Live Report

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
-MP-

Collinsville 11.06.11 Detailed Live Report

Post by -MP- »

I know this isn't very topical, but we didn't have a board when the show happened and people seem to miss the live reports, so here ya go! It's reprinted from another forum where my hard work went THOROUGHLY ignored, so maybe I can sell a few DVDs here if the show sounds good to anyone else. In fact I think I only saw one other detailed report of this show anywhere, so it should be of some service.

ROH in Collinsville–11.06.11

Anybody got any clever names for this show? “Clever” being the operative word. I’m completely stumped.

Anyway, I got there a little later than I wanted, about 10 minutes before belltime, but it didn’t look like there were any preshow matches. I didn’t see the Wolves or WGTT or even Cornette doing the meet and greet either so that must have already been over. Also no opening promo from Cornette to hype up the crowd. Maybe he quit doing those, I don’t know. One thing we did get was...Bobby Cruise! He hasn’t announced for Collinsville since at least March of 2009 (Stylin and Profilin), possibly even longer than that.

The Embassy kicks us off with the Tomasso Ciampa open challenge. Everyone knows the Delirious story by now, and of course it sucked to have Ridge Right Ridgewood Andy Leg replace him. It wasn’t bad by opener standards though, Ridgewood got the shit kicked out of him almost as bad as Grizzly later on. Then Nana entered the ring to interfere (for whatever reason; Ciampa was doing just fine) and then Delirious sprinted out with no music or fanfare. He chased the entire Embassy around the ring several times, and there were laughs and laughs. Then he chased them to the back, and then Ciampa won with Project Ciampa or whatever it’s called.

#DEMBOYS. Jay Brisco was out next to a HUGE pop. Briscoes have always been over huge in St. Louis. TJP didn’t get nearly as positive a reaction and actually got a little heat during his control spots (which were few, this was a very back-and-forth match). I was trying to get some cheers going for him. Match was fucking great though. At one point TJ did his Matrix spot where he avoided a handful of Jay’s punches (think the Evolve match vs. Sawa) and it was awesome. Jay finally picked up the win with the Jay Driller. I was as excited for this match as anything else on the card and it did not disappoint.

Bravados were out next against Steve Corino and Jimmy Jacobs. TRAGICALLY, there were no pre or post-match promos from anybody. But I guess they made up for it because this match was played completely for comedy. Jimmy was WAY over with the crowd here, which surprised me a little. I don’t think they knew who this old man Corino was. Then he fell off the wagon and both he and Jacobs checked the Bravados’ oil, if ya know what I mean. I was pleading for Corino not to fall off the wagon again, but I guess he has to be evil if he wants to be ready for Steen. This was a lot of meaningless fun.

Michael Elgin was out next to kill Grizzly Redwood. Now, I groaned as loudly as anybody did when this match was announced, but it turned out way better than it had any right to be. There was a very compelling story because Grizz kept taking punishment but he just wouldn’t. Stay. DOWN. And the crowd kept shouting “stay down, Grizzly!” and Elgin was yelling at him to stay down and it was pretty cool. Not great or anything, but much much better than Redwood’s last match here against Erick Stevens. One spot in particular might have been the nastiest of the night, when Elgin just flung Grizzly at the guardrail like he was a sack of shit. I thought Grizz might have been dead for a second.

WGTT defended the tag titles against Futureshock. I was shocked that this didn’t go on last. Benjamin’s side was heavily bandaged, selling some injury (kayfabe or otherwise) from the night before. Both teams were really over with the crowd but I think the slight nod actually went to Futureshock. The WGTT weren’t getting along at all, and I couldn’t figure out why, so leave it to the eight year old kid sitting near me (who was having the time of his life; I don’t want to sound like a Michael Jackson but kids like that are frequently the best part about going to a wrestling show for me) to figure out the story. See, Haas was pissed because Shelton kept wanting to get into the match, and was too proud to sit on the apron with his injury. Anyway, match was great, Futureshock did a mostly great job of targeting that injury, and then came the finish which I’m still not sure about. WGTT went for their double powerbomb thing on O’Reilly, but Shelton kind of dropped him and it looked really weak. I’m still not sure if it was an outright botch because he could also have been selling weakness due to the injury, which is pretty awesome. But they looked pissed about it afterwards. I don’t know. Since that looked like shit, Haas had to slap on the Haas of Pain and O’Reilly was forced to immediately tap (in front of his adopted hometown). It’ll be really interesting to see how that finish looks on DVD. On another note, Davey Richards came out to watch and that kid pointed him out to me and I was like “That’s awesome! But not more awesome than this match” and he was all “I know!” That kid kicks ass.

Intermission. I didn’t see any wrestlers walking around except for Tony Kozina (somebody alert TMZ) later that night.

Back from intermission, and Davey Richards is out to cut a promo. Not sure if this will make the DVD or not. I don’t remember any of the particulars, something like “I live (around) here now, I’ve stolen the show here the last few times, AMERICAN WOLVES” or something like that.

Princess Mia Yim vs. MsChif. Big pop for MsChif! Not much of a match though. Mia likes to do a lot kicks and they look like SHIT. Totally fake. MsChif finally won with the Desecrator.

#DEMBOYS Round 2, with Mark Briscoe taking on Jay Lethal. Crowd-wise, this was similar to the first Briscoe match in that both guys were popular, but the Briscoe was noticeably more popular. People still liked Lethal though. This was very good, probably the best Mark singles match since I can’t remember. I think he had a good one with O’Reilly a few months back. Probably the most over person in the match was Randy Savage, and the crowd was just begging for the Flying Elbow Smash. So there was a tease of it, Mark interrupted, and then Lethal finally hit it and the crowd went BANANAS. Pretty good match here.

Mike Bennett was out next with Brutal Bob to take on Generico. Bennett got a lot of heat, but not of the smark, New York, “I hope you choke on your own dick and DIE” variety. It was the regular kind of heat. Generico was beloved, of course. Live bias being what it is, I still think this was the best Mike Bennett match I’ve seen to date. He had no problems keeping up here. Generico had to hit two brainbusters (I think there was Boberference on the first one) but he got the job done. Then Bennett attacked him afterwards. I have no clue how the TV title shapes up now but I know these two have to be the top contenders.

Main event time, between the Wolves and ANX. Another babyface vs. babyface match for this crowd. The Wolves of course got the biggest reaction of the night, but I was surprised by how well the ANX were received as well. I want to say right now that their walk-out music is BY far the best in ROH, possibly even the best in wrestling. I gotta get that shit downloaded very soon. Objectively this was probably the best match of the show because of how it got over the All Nights. Their strategy was brilliant, they cut the ring in half and isolated Davey for a huge chunk of it, and just completely outclassed the Wolves in basic tag team wrestling. And the Wolves showed no signs of dissension during the match, so they can’t blame the loss on that either. They just got beat, plain and simple. Of course it broke down into spots-spots-spots by the end, but they were well-earned spots. And Kenny King got to shine with the finish hitting a Shooting Star Press for the pin?! I’ve never seen him use that move before, but it was damned impressive to see somebody that size hit it. After the match was over and everybody shook hands, Eddie grabbed the mic, got this smart ass look on his face, turned to Davey and said one sentence: “See you at Final Battle.” Then he dropped the mic and bailed without Davey. And that was the show.

Very solid stuff, up and down the card. No complete blowaway matches like Richards vs. Omega at COTC or Wolves vs. Bucks at Hate II, but this definitely still compared favorably to those shows. Building didn’t look as crowded as at Hate II, but it wasn’t that far off either. The fact that it was a Sunday I think led to having a different kind of audience and atmosphere, not nearly as smarky and a lot more appreciative, if that makes any sense. There was a really good vibe in the building that I enjoyed. No return date was announced, but god damn it I hope they come back. You never fail to get more than your money’s worth with these shows.
icyhot

Re: Collinsville 11.06.11 Detailed Live Report

Post by icyhot »

I didn't ignore it, I just totally misread it and got the results wrong. So it wasn't THOROUGHLY ignored at the Bin. I just can't read properly. Excellent write up as always.
Support REAL Indy Wrestling and small business.
-MP-

Post by -MP- »

icyhot wrote:I didn't ignore it, I just totally misread it and got the results wrong. So it wasn't THOROUGHLY ignored at the Bin. I just can't read properly. Excellent write up as always.
Hahaha nah this is something different, you goofed up on the live texts I was sending to Tom Bobo to post. I was actually stunned by how many people cared about those, although it was mostly about the unannounced, unpromoted women's match of all things.
The Generic Luchador

Post by The Generic Luchador »

Looks like a fun show. I honestly like show like this one more than the bigger shows sometimes.