'Creative Direction' article on Steen/Davey

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

'Creative Direction' article on Steen/Davey

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Steven just wrote this great article looking at the Steen/Davey rivalry, sharing his thoughts on how he thinks it should pan out:

http://www.rohworld.com/news/373.html
If you've been reading ROHWorld.com since we began in February of last year, you might recognise 'Creative Direction'. For those who don't and newer readers in particular, 'Creative Direction' is where I share my thoughts on what I'd like to see, storyline-wise, to various members of the roster and here's the latest instalment!

When Ring of Honor returns to Canada on May 12, Davey Richards will defend his ROH World Championship against Kevin Steen.

This is the match on every ROH fan's lips; a match that has been over six months in the making. Steen, after winning his job back at 'Final Battle 2011' has beaten everybody Jim Cornette has put in front of him. The list of defeated men includes both Richards' former and current tag team partners, Eddie Edwards and Kyle O'Reilly.

At various points, Steen has reminded Richards that he is still after 'The American Wolf'. He attacked the champion at 'Glory by Honor X' after Richards had beaten El Generico. After beating Steve Corino at 'Final Battle 2011', Steen mocked Richards at the end of the show after Davey's win against Edwards. He did the same thing again after the '10th Anniversary Show' main event where Richards was pinned by Adam Cole.

In a recent 'private' press conference, it was announced that Steen would get his shot – that he has been asking for – at 'Border Wars' live on iPPV at the Ted Reeve arena in Toronto, Ontario in Steen's home country.

Fans were, on the whole, delighted with the news and that they'd be able to see this momentous match live worldwide. However, I must admit that I think they have pulled the trigger too much on this one. As I mentioned earlier, this is probably the most anticipated match in ROH for quite some time. I completely understand the logic behind Steen getting the shot in Canada, it should make for quite an atmosphere, but I think this has come too soon.

With Jimmy Jacobs turning heel and joining forces with Steen at 'Showdown in the Sun' and in turn helping the Canadian defeat nemesis El Generico, it opened a variety of new options to keep Steen busy until his eventual match with Richards.

Initially, I thought ROH would hold off until 'Final Battle 2012' to have the match but 'Best in the World 2012' would also work, Steen could use the event name to mock Richards after winning and it would also mark 12 months since Richards originally won the belt.

I also feel that it has come at the wrong time for Richards' title run. I think fans were underwhelmed with his reign for the first six or so months, and rightly so. That was, on the whole, of no fault of Richards himself but because of the repetitive, stagnant booking. Richards was facing the same opponents such as Edwards and Roderick Strong on a regular basis and while that led to some great matches, fans had seen it all before. That's why the clash with Steen is so anticipated, they are desperate to see Steen challenge 'The American Wolf' and win the title.

In the past couple of months, Davey has really solidified his run with a number of great title defences. At 'Showdown in the Sun', he beat Michael Elgin in what is already being marked down as match of the year. Add that to a solid showing against Jay Lethal at 'Homecoming 2012' and the upcoming match against Adam Cole and Richards' run is becoming more and more interesting. That is yet another reason, in my opinion, why Steen's shot should have been held off for a bit longer.

Of course, a lot of this article has been written with the thinking that Steen will win the belt at 'Border Wars'. That is by no means a foregone conclusion but one which would seem likely at this stage.

I always said that Steen had to win the title at the first attempt, especially with ROH's track record of holding off on new champions until the crowd burn out (Tyler Black, anybody?). However, I can see ROH using Jim Cornette as a key figure in the match in Toronto. A potential screwjob where Cornette helps Richards retain the title (and maybe even completing a double turn for Steen, Richards and Cornette) is a distinct possibility but doesn't quite scream Ring of Honor but another 'wrestling' promotion based in Orlando. That sort of finish could garner quite a reaction from Steen's countrymen but maybe not the sort of one that ROH would be aiming for.

I can see Steen winning the match against Richards in Toronto with the piledriver (which Richards claimed Steen could use) and Cornette using his power to either overturn the decision or to strip Steen of the title altogether. Of course, Richards retaining the belt clean could also happen but I feel that would be the wrong decision here and would kill Steen's obvious momentum.

So, how do you all think the match will conclude? With this being one of the most anticipated matches in recent history in ROH, I'm sure it will deliver but will the finish leave a bad taste in people's minds?
187_Joeism

Re: 'Creative Direction' article on Steen/Davey

Post by 187_Joeism »

The awesome about Richards vs Steen match is that anybody can´t predict was gonna happen so i just gonna enjoy the build up and the match itself because for sure wll be special like Tyler Black vs Davey Richards was.
ln586856

Post by ln586856 »

Davey going over clean would kill Steen's momentum.

The only way to give Davey the win without the fans turning on him would be to turn him heel, something needed to re-set his title run if it is going to be a lenghty won.

The wrong decision is to have Cornette do a screwjob and have Steen challenge again and again. They *may* be able to get away with this once, but more than that and you end up with a Tyler Black situation (which was unfortunate, I still say to this day that Tyler should have taken the belt from Nigel at Injustice II). If Cornette does do a screwjob then Steen would have to take the title in a rubber match with a stip (cage, ladder match, whatever).

The trigger WAS pulled too soon on this in one respect, although Davey's run only had so much in it in terms of opponents (Edwards and Strong are things the fans have seen before, correct).

Logical sense? I say either Steen takes it if and only if Davey doesn't plan to turn heel. Otherwise Steen has to take it on the rubber match. Davey's run needs a reboot so that'd be the way to do it.
Last edited by ln586856 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

Davey is defending the title againts Cole a couple of weeks before Border Wars. The Dayton main event was scheduled to be a proving ground match, but turned into a world title match. What was the point? If it's for the title we all know Richards will retain. If by some small chance Cole wins in Dayton, then Richards vs Steen won't have as much appeal without the title being on the line. ROH's booking can really be predictable sometimes.

Onto the question of what might be the outcome of this match? I really think if they do anything other than put the title on Steen, it will cause some type of riot. It will be a bad decision too. I say Steen wins here and at Best in the World he faces Eddie Kingston in a champion vs champion match. Not to say either title will be on the line, but to see who is the best in the world. The ROH champion or the Chikara champion.
Last edited by ROHFanAnthony on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

great write-up! I do agree the match comes too early for my liking, and because of that I hope Davey retains, doesn't matter to me if by clean victory, 60 minute draw or screwjob via Cornette. Richards does have so many things to do as champ, it would be a waste, if they miss out on all these oportunities just because the iPPV is in Canada. Final Battle sounds about right for the title change, we've not had one at Final Battle in a very long time, I think 2006 was the last one, if I recall correctly.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
ln586856

Post by ln586856 »

Ok, I'll grant that a reason they did this match now is because of the Canada visit. So, I suppose that equals out because Davey's run does need a re-set.

Like I said, the only way to get Davey over Steen clean is a heel-turn. Simply because Davey's run hasn't had enough chance to pick up steam. He's run through the top tier of talent so quickly (not his fault, Roh's talent pool is small) that fan's are starting to burn out on him. It's not his style per say - although some may disagree there, I know that - but it's that he has been overexposed running against top dogs left and right.

If they don't re-set him now, things will get ugly. I say, turn him on the fans. This is already set up with O'Ryley's quasi-heel turn (he is the worst heel ever, totally unbelievable...but still) - it would fit.

If Cornette does a screw job there is only enough gas in the tank for Steen's momentum to do a re-match with a good stip (ladder, dog-collar, something brutal to emphasize the worst nightmare deal).

Steen takes the title in Canada (unlikely); Davey heel turn retains (not so likely); Cornette screw job with a re-match (most likely).
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

There's also the possibility of a run-in (for the sake of argument, let's say O'Reilly) without Davey's knowledge costing Steen the match, giving plenty of reason for a rematch down the line, Steen keeps his heat intact (especially if he loses it post-match and destroys Davey, meaning Cornette holds off on the rematch), plus they can tease if Davey knew about the run-in or not in the aftermath.

Yeah, that may be an unsatisfactory way to end an iPPV ME on paper, but if the post-match stuff is handled well it will be great - and the crowd heat will be tremendous.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

D2Kvirus wrote:There's also the possibility of a run-in (for the sake of argument, let's say O'Reilly) without Davey's knowledge costing Steen the match, giving plenty of reason for a rematch down the line, Steen keeps his heat intact (especially if he loses it post-match and destroys Davey, meaning Cornette holds off on the rematch), plus they can tease if Davey knew about the run-in or not in the aftermath.

Yeah, that may be an unsatisfactory way to end an iPPV ME on paper, but if the post-match stuff is handled well it will be great - and the crowd heat will be tremendous.
I really like that idea ;)
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

I see this going two ways.

Scenario #1:
Steen wins clean.

Scenario #2:
Steen is about to hit the Package Piledriver, Cornette runs in and whacks Steen with a tennis racket. Davey does w/e his finisher is that night (kicks etc.) and pins him. Davey and Jim raise each others hands while laughing at the Canadian crowd, who are obviously outraged. Jim is on the mic screaming "over my dead body will the man you all cheer for ever win this title!" and things of that nature. Davey continues to beat up Steen while Jim encourags it.. then suddenly...............

COLT CABANAS MUSIC HITS!!!

Cabana is standing at the top of the stage while Jim is absolutely furious. Jim screams stuff like "I fired you! What the hell are you doing here?!?". Steen gets up and grabs Jim while Cabana comes down. Steen finally delivers the package piledriver on Jim while Cabana and Davey brawl. Steen pulls Davey and gives him a package piledriver as well. Steen and Cabana stand tall while Jim and Davey look back furious.

Double turn excecuted. Storyline progresses with even more heat. Cabana returns.

What do you guys think?
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I agree but with the condition of a serious Colt Cabana not the stale repeated comedy matches version.
Heyzel

Post by Heyzel »

SteenMark23 wrote:I see this going two ways.

Scenario #1:
Steen wins clean.

Scenario #2:
Steen is about to hit the Package Piledriver, Cornette runs in and whacks Steen with a tennis racket. Davey does w/e his finisher is that night (kicks etc.) and pins him. Davey and Jim raise each others hands while laughing at the Canadian crowd, who are obviously outraged. Jim is on the mic screaming "over my dead body will the man you all cheer for ever win this title!" and things of that nature. Davey continues to beat up Steen while Jim encourags it.. then suddenly...............

COLT CABANAS MUSIC HITS!!!

I like this and I could see this happening it's time for jim to turn heel
Cabana is standing at the top of the stage while Jim is absolutely furious. Jim screams stuff like "I fired you! What the hell are you doing here?!?". Steen gets up and grabs Jim while Cabana comes down. Steen finally delivers the package piledriver on Jim while Cabana and Davey brawl. Steen pulls Davey and gives him a package piledriver as well. Steen and Cabana stand tall while Jim and Davey look back furious.

Double turn excecuted. Storyline progresses with even more heat. Cabana returns.

What do you guys think?