Supercard/WrestleMania 38 Weekend in Dallas (2022)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Supercard/WrestleMania 38 Weekend in Dallas (2022)

Post by supersonic »

This news was dropped by WWE in a YouTube skit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S84sDXetOcM

WrestleMania 38 will be taking place at AT&T Stadium on Sunday, April 3, 2022. (As it turns out, this return to Jerry World is taking place on the sixth anniversary date of WrestleMania 32.)

More details about the weekend to come over the next 14-15 months.

WrestleMania 38 Tourism Guide - Dallas/Fort Worth
Last edited by supersonic on Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
supersonic

Re: Supercard/WrestleMania 38 Weekend in Dallas (2022)

Post by supersonic »

For those planning to rent cars, whether it's for Tampa, Dallas, L.A., or anything else in the future, here's something important:

Enterprise has increased the deposit hold on each vehicle reservation from $200 to $300. In addition, paying with a bank-issued debit card will require additional verification of stable monthly bills.

Last I checked with their competitors, they're even stricter too. Hertz will run a credit check on anyone looking to pay with a bank-issued debit card, and Budget even requires the renter to have their own personal car insurance policy that will also cover the rental vehicle.

BOTTOM LINE - Do your research and appropriate budgeting before renting for any of these trips. The pandemic and economic collapse has led to massive changes in the vehicle rental industry. I have not even looked into the hotel industry at all yet to see what changes have been made there too.

On another note, I've also become significantly more familiar with the DFW region over the past couple years, so the eventual list of things to do will be pretty substantial, with things most people wouldn't even consider.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

supersonic wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:21 pm For those planning to rent cars, whether it's for Tampa, Dallas, L.A., or anything else in the future, here's something important:

Enterprise has increased the deposit hold on each vehicle reservation from $200 to $300. In addition, paying with a bank-issued debit card will require additional verification of stable monthly bills.

Last I checked with their competitors, they're even stricter too. Hertz will run a credit check on anyone looking to pay with a bank-issued debit card, and Budget even requires the renter to have their own personal car insurance policy that will also cover the rental vehicle.

BOTTOM LINE - Do your research and appropriate budgeting before renting for any of these trips. The pandemic and economic collapse has led to massive changes in the vehicle rental industry. I have not even looked into the hotel industry at all yet to see what changes have been made there too.

On another note, I've also become significantly more familiar with the DFW region over the past couple years, so the eventual list of things to do will be pretty substantial, with things most people wouldn't even consider.
That is why you rent cars with a credit card and not your debit card. Problem solved. Only an idiot would rent a car with a debit card. You should never use your debit card for any transaction. Always use a credit card.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

For many reasons, ranging from financial difficulties to just having no desire for them, many choose not to even have a single credit card.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

supersonic wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:35 am For many reasons, ranging from financial difficulties to just having no desire for them, many choose not to even have a single credit card.
That’s on them then. Unless you’re mega loaded, not having credit is extremely stupid. If you’re having financial difficulties, the last thing you should be doing is renting a car to attend a wrestling event.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Another thing to look at for re: rental cars

As I'm planning an unrelated trip, I discovered that certain cities/counties will charge an additional "sports venue tax" for stadiums and arenas that are publicly funded.

Do your research on this beforehand - I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all travel-related businesses charge that type of tax in Arlington and the rest of Tarrant County (which includes Ft. Worth.)
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Another thing to look at for re: rental cars

As I'm planning an unrelated trip, I discovered that certain cities/counties will charge an additional "sports venue tax" for stadiums and arenas that are publicly funded.

Do your research on this beforehand - I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all travel-related businesses charge that type of tax in Arlington and the rest of Tarrant County (which includes Ft. Worth.)

In fact, according to AT&T Stadium's Wikipedia page:
Arlington voters approved the increase of the city's sales tax by 0.5%, the hotel occupancy tax by 2%, and car rental tax by 5%.
Upon further research with Enterprise, it appears that the 5% "Stadium Tax" is only charged at locations in the city of Arlington. I also checked with locations in Bedford and Ft. Worth - they do NOT charge that tax.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The hotel I have in mind is almost close to having all dates open for WM38 weekend, so either this week or next week, I'll share my chosen location and begin sharing my various DFW suggestions, which will incrementally include (but not be limited to) hotels, theme parks, food establishments, accredited wildlife sanctuaries, historical sites, natural wonders, retro video arcades, and even shopping, especially stores that sell used media like books, movies, and video games.

For now, my suggestion is to avoid the following areas:

Arlington (only due to stadium tax dumped on tourist expenses)
Richardson (one of the dirtier parts of DFW, even Richardson's best parts)
southern Garland (basically anywhere off of I-30 and south of the Bush Turnpike that crosses Lake Ray Hubbard)

In my experience, the DFW region's positives outweigh the negatives, so much so that I won't post my list yet of the areas that I recommend yet, as it'll take some time to properly detail why they deserve your time and tourist money.

To decrease the chances of hotels raising rates before all the dates are open, I encourage anyone currently searching hotels to use different regions and/or dates of the year when fishing for hotel rates. If you are a AAA member like me, you may be pleasantly surprised to see that not only will the best rates not require AAA, but requesting AAA rates could be detrimental, as my chosen hotel is charging almost double for AAA members.

As my travels expand this year into other markets, I am also considering making a suggestion guide for other markets that some of you will travel through if you choose to drive instead of going by bus or flight. Those markets include Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, and St. Louis, and will likely include others (depending on how far I can expand my travel) like the Twin Cities and New Orleans.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Not really worth it to fly from those cities you mentioned. Especially if you’re bring back a lot of souvenirs and/or renting a car anyway. And if you’re not going solo.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:25 pm Not really worth it to fly from those cities you mentioned. Especially if you’re bring back a lot of souvenirs and/or renting a car anyway. And if you’re not going solo.
The suggestions will be for those who are traveling by car, not flight or Greyhound.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Most hotels are now taking reservations through the day after WrestleMania 38.

HOTEL REMOVED

Lewisville's Music City District is very close to I-35, making it a central location for commuting to go south to Dallas, and for anyone traveling by car if coming from other I-35 markets like OKC, KC, Des Moines, and the Twin Cities. This location provides a straight shot not just to Dallas, but also Denton and Carrollton, as well as a straight-shot tollway going northeast to The Colony, Frisco, Allen, and McKinney. There's also a street that goes straight south to the Las Colinas district of Irving, and that entire route is just nonstop suburban middle-class scenery.

In addition, this is a major shopping district, and the hotel is right across the street from a plaza that includes an LA Fitness, Twin Peaks, Starbucks, and Chipotle. Best of it all, the plaza also includes Costco with a gas station that has among the best prices in the entire state of Texas. This is very ideal to kick off each day of the weekend - getting clean gas for a cheap rate before heading out, and also picking up a coffee or bite to eat (which can be done very quickly by foot.)

Other shopping centers nearby include the Music City Mall (also within walking distance), Vista Ridge Plaza, Vista Ridge Village, and Lakepointe Towne Crossing - there are simply too many businesses to list here.

More details on the DFW area to come soon, including recommendations for tourism, natural wonders, historic locations, video arcades, food establishments, and accredited wildlife sanctuaries.
Last edited by supersonic on Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

RENTAL CAR ALERT:

Why your next rental car might cost more than a plane ticket

If you're gonna rent a car anywhere in the Sun Belt (photo provided to see what regions that includes - ALL of Texas is part of it), you need to book it immediately. Rates have skyrocketed due to low supply and high demand.

Alternate plan, and you'd have to make time and check other logistics:

Car rentals in OKC are still at normal rates, since that is NOT a high-demand travel area. It may be most affordable to book your flight/Greyhound through OKC, then rent a car there and do the 3-hour commute each way between that market and the DFW metroplex.

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

It's here - The WrestleMania 38 Tourism Guide!

A tourism guide unlike any other, this is a helpful resource for those who plan to visit the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex for WrestleMania 38 and its satellite events in Spring 2022.

Sections included:

Ethical Wildlife Tourism
Notable Parks, Lakes, & Natural Wonders
Museums and Historic Locations
Other Top Tourist Attractions
Retro Video Arcades
Retro Video Gaming Stores
Movie Trading (and similar stores)
Half Price Books (and similar stores)

Caveats:

Other than video arcades, there are no bars or food establishments included. There will be another (if not multiple) separate, complimentary food establishments guide. That is taking significantly more time to put together.

Hardly any women were consulted for their input. In lieu of that, the following links are provided below.

A Woman's Touch
The New Girl's Guide to Visiting Dallas
The Perfect Dallas Girls' Weekend Itinerary
A Girlfriend’s Guide: The Best Things to do in Dallas on a Girls’ Weekend
Girls Getaway: How to Spend a Weekend in Dallas with Your Girlfriends
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

If you're thinking of coming to Texas next year, I ask you to reconsider for your own sake and to not put money in the pockets of energy profiteers like Jerry Jones.

As Texas Freezes, Jerry Jones Does What He’s Always Done

That was 4 months ago. Here's what Texans are dealing with now.

Texas grid operator urges electricity conservation as many power generators are unexpectedly offline and temperatures rise

Electricity Disconnections To Resume In Texas As Summer Heat Arrives

Reminder that at WrestleMania 32, there was also a delay in getting fans inside AT&T Stadium due to an internet outage, making the required scanning of tickets unavailable. The parking lot was scorching hot at just 80-something degrees F.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Now that the weekend is a month away and could be getting much more interesting, here are a number of things to take into consideration for those planning to travel to Dallas-Fort Worth.

I am not too familiar due to never using it, but the mega-city does offer a light rail system that may come in handy. For more info - https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... light+rail

If you haven't booked a rental car yet and are considering it, do it now. Prices are sky-high in Texas at almost all times now, and will especially be as a warm weather market during a springtime destination event weekend.

I'll take it a step further - if you live in a region that tends to have cheaper rental cars (such as many markets in Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana), I highly suggest renting locally and just making the drive each way to save significant funds.

A reminder that Enterprise now holds $300 for each reservation, while other car rental providers may require a credit check depending on payment method. Call the providers ahead of time to verify their requirements suit you. It's at each location's discretion if they'd perhaps honor a lower price that's adjusted by a few days, and if they'd be willing to apply the $300 hold to additional protection options. Learn your options.

Do not financially puss out on taking the turnpikes and toll expressways. DFW has some of the nation's worst traffic, with surprisingly only 3 appearances on the most recent worst 100 bottlenecks list, and it is especially horrendous in the late afternoon/early evenings on the mega-city's east side. I've been to the Curtis Culwell Center once (Dynamite in December 2019), and was able to park for free at the nearby Walmart Supercenter. I can't guarantee that'll be an option this time, but hopefully it will be, otherwise ROH is asking for $20 to secure a parking pass.

In particular, Garland is gonna be horrendous to get to for Supercard of Honor due to the city's location on DFW's east-side, plus the event being slotted on a Friday evening. Suck it up, take the fucking toll roads, and just pay the bill when it arrives in the mail. Just trust me on this, as DFW has become one of my most traveled markets.

You'll likely wanna do the same if you plan to attend either of the WrestleMania events in Arlington and aren't staying in that vicinity. Keep in mind that six years ago, systems went down during the WrestleMania 32 pre-show, causing thousands of fans to be stranded outside AT&T Stadium on a hot springtime afternoon in fucking Texas. Have your tickets ready, get there EARLY, have your parking paid ahead of time.

Google Maps will be one of your best friends. The app and site now allows users to set arrival and departure times for travel. Make damn good use of this and do your commuting homework ahead of time, as it'll give you guys predicted traffic patterns. Make an itinerary for yourselves to minimize commuting and traffic congestion headaches as well.

If you're planning to travel via car from another region (which again, is something that I suggest), then re-read the previous paragraph, as that Google Maps advice applies double, triple, quadruple to you.

Your best friends will also be apps such as Pollen, AccuWeather, WeatherBug, Allergy Alert, and the Weather Channel. Get ALL of them downloaded and activate push notifications in case of any storms or extreme pollen levels. Have your allergy meds ready in case you need them. Texas is one of the absolute worst goddamn fucking regions in North America for allergies, rarely if ever taking any extended break from victimizing those prone to them. That is especially so along the state's I-35 corridor, and DFW happens to be the biggest metro region for all of I-35 in the nation.

In addition to those apps, follow accounts such as NBC DFW Weather and NWS Fort Worth on Twitter to be kept up to date on inclement weather.

I'll have more updates throughout the month, including the full list of scheduled events and my recommended food establishments and other tourist activities.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Nail on the head with the weather/pollen apps. In 2016 I came home sick as fuck.