ROH Dream Matches - We never got

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

ROH Dream Matches - We never got

Post by Montana »

I'm primarily thinking ... two guys that were on the roster at the same time; but never faced each other. I'm actually having to think about this as most of the key dream matchups that WERE possible has happened.

Here's what i can come up with:

- Tyler Black vs. Adam Cole

- Low KI vs. Nigel McGuiness

- Bryan Danielson vs. Jay Lethal
supersonic

Re: ROH Dream Matches - We never got

Post by supersonic »

KENTA vs. AJ Styles. Gabe had one shot, and WWE had three years.

KENTA vs. Homicide. Both too protected in 2006.

Doug Williams vs. Roderick Strong

Nigel McGuinness vs. AJ Styles
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Not possible but I was always bummed that Joe's short return coincided with Adam Cole being injured.

Speaking of Joe, a Joe / KENTA singles ranks high for me.

I'll agree with Danielson / Lethal, considering all the random title defenses Dragon did and that Lethal was still popping in from time to time, would have been easy enough to do.

Bunch of matches you could nominate from Paul London's short comeback. Elgin murdering him with power moves would probably have ruled.

AJ and Gibson had a really good PWG match, would like to have seen them in ROH.

Going to think of some more, fun topic.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Danielson vs. Lethal took place for the ROH Title in FIP and is included on the Domination DVD release.

London vs. Elgin took place at ASE in 2013.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Kyle O'Reilly vs Bobby Fish.
I believe it was supposed to happen, since Kyle won the title and Bobby had a shot by winning Survival of the fittest. Unfortunately, Kyle left very quickly :>
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Austin Aries vs Kevin Steen, El Generico or Eddie Edwards never happened, right? EDIT: Edwards actually wrestled Aries in 2006 at International Challenge, although Eddie was only a regional enhancement guy at that point. But it happened. And Aries lost to Generico at Eye of the Storm in 2008. Still think Aries / Steen didn't happen...

Kenny Omega / Bryan Daniels in singles match (they were in a triple threat with Tyler Black) is a big one for me, especially since their PWG match was so stupid. Don't think Omega had a singles with Tyler either.

Can't think of any really good tag team matches tbh. I guess KOW and Steen / Generico not overlapping even though all four guys were on the roster together for years, but I can't think of established teams that were active at the time missing each other. End of WGTT missing the beginning of Red Dragon is the best I can think of, and its not like WGTT is any kind of all time great team in ROH.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

supersonic wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:16 pm Danielson vs. Lethal took place for the ROH Title in FIP and is included on the Domination DVD release.

Wasn't Danielson / Lethal for the FIP title? Either way, FIP Danielson was obviously fun for Dragon but a chore to watch IMO.

Feel dumb about forgetting the London / Elgin match. Changing my vote to London / KOR.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

adam cole vs samoa joe
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

I wish we would have gotten Lio Rush vs Kyle O'Reilly personally. Just missed it/didn't quite make sense with the feuds and issues happening at the time but I think that would have been a really fun one to call.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Shingo vs. Samoa Joe - this would’ve been a much more fitting Philly match on Joe’s farewell tour than giving than spot to Rave (who had no juice left outside of finishing the McGuinness program in the UK)

KENTA vs. Christopher Daniels - this would’ve been my Bitter End special attraction, if not the closing main event

Christopher Daniels vs. Naomichi Marufuji

Dave’s Richards vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima

I also would’ve liked to see Takeshita Morishima defend the title in singles matches against Daniels and El Generico.

AJ Styles vs. Claudio Castagnoli - they never collided until the night after WM32, but their lone singles match to date was on a house show.

KOW vs. Steen/Generico is by far the biggest dream tag in indy history, and I can only hope AEW may eventually get the chance to do it at this point.

We can blame Pearce for downgrading Escalation, as tickets were sold under Sapolsky’s booking of Steen/Generico vs Aries/Danielson and McGuinness/Castagnoli vs. Black/Jacobs. Pearce never bothered to reschedule these unique matchups, one that was obviously going to fuel Black’s chase of McGuinness.

Eddie Guerrero’s originally planned farewell match was to go over Christopher Daniels. The only other great candidate for the honor would’ve been Danielson, as Low Ki already wrestled Eddie in a match put on tape and was being protected for the title win. I suppose if you really wanted to take a risk, the departing Eddie could’ve faced the debuting Styles.

Another missed advertised tag that was never rescheduled, originally the Plan B main event for what became Scramble Cage Melee - Punk/Joe vs Low Ki/Homicide. I would’ve also liked to see Jacobs & Whitmer defend the tag titles successfully over Low Ki & Homicide the following year. That may have been enough to give the champions some juice in a year in which those belts took a noticeable devaluation for multiple reasons.

Other tag matches:

KOW vs. KENTA/Marufuji
Aries/Strong vs. KENTA/Marufuji
Aries/Strong vs. Styles/Daniels
Speed Muscle vs. Black/Jacobs
Low Ki/Homicide vs. Aries/Strong
Low Ki/Homicide vs. Rave/Shelley

The last one also shows a glaring missed opportunity - an Embassy vs. Rottweilers program
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Lots of good suggestions here.

The big one for me is KENTA/Joe. Would have liked Marufuji/Joe in that 06/07 time period too.

I don't think we got Briscoes vs. Ki/Homicide either. Punk/Knockout Artist Hero and Omega/Cole also would have been fun.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The Briscoes first run ended against Ki & Homicide at Testing the Limit.
Montana

Post by Montana »

maxx_powerz wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:10 am
supersonic wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:16 pm Danielson vs. Lethal took place for the ROH Title in FIP and is included on the Domination DVD release.

Wasn't Danielson / Lethal for the FIP title? Either way, FIP Danielson was obviously fun for Dragon but a chore to watch IMO.

Feel dumb about forgetting the London / Elgin match. Changing my vote to London / KOR.
Just checked... Danielson vs. Lethal was on the Domination DVD as a bonus match, but it was for the FIP title; on a FIP show. So the dream match still counts : )

It isn't out of the realm of possibility either! Danielson contract is up in a year or two.... and maybe he comes into ROH for a couple dream matches. Jay Lethal vs Danielson would certainly be awesome to see.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I was looking for some more recent matches we never got with Hangman Page and Cody after Ian mentioned Lio Rush and Kyle O'Reily.

Not sure i'd call these "dream matches" but:

Hangman Page vs. Cody - never happened from what i could tell

Cody vs. Jay Briscoe - never happened. Would have liked to see Cody and Jay in a bunk house brawl or something.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I doubt Danielson will walk away from WWE money at this point but it would be great to see.

Bryan did say at one point that working Arena Mexico for the CMLL Anniversary Show was on his bucket list, though.

Maybe he can do a retirement tour where he just hits the biggest non-WWE shows. All Out, Final Battle, Wrestle Kingdom, CMLL Anniversary, Triplemania, Bound for Glory, etc.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

famicommander wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:25 am I doubt Danielson will walk away from WWE money at this point but it would be great to see.

Bryan did say at one point that working Arena Mexico for the CMLL Anniversary Show was on his bucket list, though.

Maybe he can do a retirement tour where he just hits the biggest non-WWE shows. All Out, Final Battle, Wrestle Kingdom, CMLL Anniversary, Triplemania, Bound for Glory, etc.
In all due respect I think this is the best idea if he's truly going to retire. However, I think working two days a week and not wrestling both days might be in his future if he becomes available.
Captain Podcast
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

supersonic wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:29 am The Briscoes first run ended against Ki & Homicide at Testing the Limit.
Ah, good catch. I was thinking like Manhattan Mayhem Ki/Homicide vs. 2006 Briscoes. Never did check out Testing the Limit and its famous main event as the DVD sold out before I could get it. Will have to give that a look on Honor Club.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Perhaps the greatest confirmed match to never take place anywhere, but it was replaced by what turned out to be what I consider the greatest match in company history.

https://members.f4wonline.com/wrestling ... fuyuk-more
They’re back on 4/12 with Low Ki vs. Paul London, which is the first time the two have ever met in a singles match.
Instead, we got the London vs. Danielson rubber match in 2/3 falls, while London and Low Ki only collided once in a three-way involving Styles two months earlier at the first anniversary show.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Wavelet Transform wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:13 pm Lots of good suggestions here.

The big one for me is KENTA/Joe. Would have liked Marufuji/Joe in that 06/07 time period too.

I don't think we got Briscoes vs. Ki/Homicide either. Punk/Knockout Artist Hero and Omega/Cole also would have been fun.
Just watched Joe/Danielson vs Kenta/Marifuji and that was an awesome match, and would have loved to see Joe vs Kenta one on one. Marifuji as well, although I think he pairs better with Danielson.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

KENTA vs. Joe transitioned to Joe vs. NOAH roster due to the two of them having injury-prone chemistry with each other. I don't see TNA or NOAH being happy if the singles match took place and those federations lost stars of that level.

(I wish the debuting Joe had been revealed as KENTA's attacker that sidelined him at Takeover: Unstoppable, circling back to their ROH history and bringing closure to that saga on a bigger stage.)