Marty Scurll & ROH in 2021 - return or not?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!

Do you want Marty Scurll to return in 2021?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 20

KL_

Marty Scurll & ROH in 2021 - return or not?

Post by KL_ »

As it is stated on various wrestling websites:
As part of the Speaking Out Movement, Marty Scurll was accused by a woman of sexually abusing her five years prior when she was 16 years old and intoxicated. Scurll would release two statements in which he did not deny the allegations, but claimed the encounter was consensual.
On June 25, Ring of Honor announced that they launched an investigation concerning the allegations. The company has yet to make any further statements.
“Obviously, Marty Scurll’s not worked, he’s not the booker anymore, he’s had nothing to do with creative.(...) As far as I know he hasn’t been fired, so I don’t know what the exact situation is other than they’re not using him,” ~Dave Meltzer
2021 is coming. I'm curious what's your opinion about Mr. Scurll. Will this 'investigation' finally conclude? What we're gonna hear? "Welcome back" or "farewell"? Or maybe Ring of Honor either way must finish his contract (or wait until it'll expire) even if they would want him to stay?

That's why I created this poll. How do you want it to happen? Return or not?
thebrettclark

Re: Marty Scurll & ROH in 2021 - return or not?

Post by thebrettclark »

Probably in the minority but no thanks.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

No thank specially if maria any part of creative
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Have no interest in seeing him him, his name etc never associated with company again. It does nothing for ROH to bring him back considering everything they have done to show in some vain they have cleaned up their act. Bringing Scrull back just minuses all of it.

There’s enough experience, throughout that locker-room to generate ideas for creative now and going forward. One person is never ROH and hanging your hat on him considering the situation just screams a big no to me.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

No, RoH does not need any negative attention.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Not under any circumstances, and shame on anyone who wants him back or excuses his behavior.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I said Yes... while i don't agree with what he did in the past; i believe people grow/mature; and should be forgiven.

If nothing else... bring him back... gauge the reaction... if it hurts business; dont renew his contract. I do think they are going to bring him back; more of less a uber heel/villain. Maybe even join LFI.

This will be my last post on this... no need to argue with anyone on this.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Montana wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:23 pm I said Yes... while i don't agree with what he did in the past; i believe people grow/mature; and should be forgiven.

If nothing else... bring him back... gauge the reaction... if it hurts business; dont renew his contract. I do think they are going to bring him back; more of less a uber heel/villain. Maybe even join LFI.

People grow and mature?

He was a grown ass man getting a teenage girl drunk and trying to do sexual things to her against her will and you're really talking about maturity?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I'm leaning towards a permanent blacklisting. I would not even CONSIDER bringing him back into the business for probably a half-decade at the minimum, and that would require a level of atonement that I don't believe 99.9% of professional carny bullshitting liars (aka the pro wrestling industry) are capable of.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Montana wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:23 pm I said Yes... while i don't agree with what he did in the past; i believe people grow/mature; and should be forgiven.

I agree with this. Mike Tyson actually raped a woman and he lives a great life. Michael Jackson had a very weird relationship with little boys, but is still admired by many. Marty didn’t rape this girl, (legal in the country where it took place) and he’s claims it was consensual. Just a case of he said, she said, only they know how accurate his claim is. He’s not Brock Turner from Stanford.

So yeah, gauge the reaction, go from there.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

supersonic wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:57 pm I'm leaning towards a permanent blacklisting. I would not even CONSIDER bringing him back into the business for probably a half-decade at the minimum, and that would require a level of atonement that I don't believe 99.9% of professional carny bullshitting liars (aka the pro wrestling industry) are capable of.
What’s the difference between half of a decade or half of a year? How does that change the right or wrong of what happened?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:43 pm
supersonic wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:57 pm I'm leaning towards a permanent blacklisting. I would not even CONSIDER bringing him back into the business for probably a half-decade at the minimum, and that would require a level of atonement that I don't believe 99.9% of professional carny bullshitting liars (aka the pro wrestling industry) are capable of.
What’s the difference between half of a decade or half of a year? How does that change the right or wrong of what happened?
Time allows wounds to heal and for the perp to experience actual growth that doesn’t come overnight.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

supersonic wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:43 pm
Time allows wounds to heal and for the perp to experience actual growth that doesn’t come overnight.
Sure, but there is no standard amount of time for a person to realize that. Don’t you think a person in his situation would realize the damage he did to his own reputation and future earnings?
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:05 pm There’s enough experience, throughout that locker-room to generate ideas for creative now and going forward. One person is never ROH and hanging your hat on him considering the situation just screams a big no to me.
This seems like the correct perspective to take even if it's a bit overly optimistic given what we've seen since the restart.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:47 pm
supersonic wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:43 pm

Sure, but there is no standard amount of time for a person to realize that. Don’t you think a person in his situation would realize the damage he did to his own reputation and future earnings?
This type of situation will take years for the perp to truly reflect on objectively. He’s publicly and recently been defensive in his responses, and thus he needs time to change before being considered to be welcomed back to performing in front of audiences that include teens and children.

Most of all, time will grant him the opportunity to atone to the victim. This was an incredibly traumatic experience for the teenager, one that had been suppressed for years.

It’s good that ROH has fucked him off, rather than do a temporary punishment like Ben Roethlisberger a decade ago. That he’s a playmaker like Big Ben speaks volumes about this decision. It doesn’t matter your box office appeal, your booking mind, your well-received persona, your acclaimed workrate - you traumatize people with malicious behaviors, you get shut out of the scene.

Scurll’s apparent black listing doesn’t just send a proper message to fans who are parents of teens and children when it comes to attending events, but also for those whose children aspire to become pro wrestlers. It’s one less predator they have to worry about exploiting teens and young women hat just wanna chase their dreams.
Last edited by supersonic on Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

yes yes yes yes yes
KL_

Post by KL_ »

I wonder if ROH is thinking to do it 'half way'. Bringing him back as a booker..... but not (not yet) to the ring.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I'd welcome him back with open arms.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Im confused by this whole thing. Wasnt the girl of legal age of consent at the time? Not making an excuse here.

Also being 26 years old 14 yearsvago myself, ive dobe a lot of growing up and maturing in that time.

However, i hate his finger break move and was never a huge fan of his ring work.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

indyfan wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:38 am Im confused by this whole thing. Wasnt the girl of legal age of consent at the time? Not making an excuse here.
Yes, that’s accurate. Some people on here take great offense to it though. They live in a fantasy land where they believe wrestlers, rock stars, and actors are checking IDs of “young” fans. I’m sure the Horsemen were doing it! (Sarcasm)

Rob Lowe slept with his 16 year old babysitter 30 years ago or whatever. Didn’t affect his career any.