ProWres Paradise discusses James Gibson's ROH run

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

ProWres Paradise discusses James Gibson's ROH run

Post by supersonic »

SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED

https://vip.pwtorch.com/2020/12/14/vip- ... o-149-min/
In our latest episode of Alan4L’s ProWres Paradise, PWTorch columnist Alan4L is joined for the very first time by the host of Grappl Spotlight, Benno! Using his encyclopedic knowledge of mid-2000s ROH, Benno chats with Alan for two and a half hours about one of the best runs in company history – but also one that may not be all that well known by newer fans. Yes, digging into 2005 the lads reminisce about the fantastic eight months spent by James Gibson aka Jamie Noble in ROH. His quest for gold, the technical classics, the epic babyface performances – it’s all covered in here with breakdowns of matches with the likes of Austin Aries, Samoa Joe, CM Punk, Roderick Strong, and more! A really fun slice of independent wrestling nostalgia. Check it out!
#Lapsed #ItUsedToBetter
indyfan

Re: ProWres Paradise discusses James Gibson's ROH run

Post by indyfan »

i hated James Gibson as champ.

the four way was great though
Montana

Post by Montana »

I just finished the 8 month reign of James Gibson in ROH, and more of less the first 8 months of 2005 for ROH. I kinda have mixed feelings on this year as a whole...but lots of like or even love overall, but for this post i'll stick with James Gibson. There's no denying James Gibson was "white hot" in his ROH run. Every match was good to great. I'm just not sold he needed to be "the guy" to beat CM Punk, to avoid him taking the belt, to WWE.... only to have Gibson return to WWE as well. He only had 2 title defenses' and was basically gone after a month or two of winning the belt. I want to say, EVEN before Gibson won the belt, ROH knew he was planning to return to the WWE. Which if they found out after, that might make more sense to ROH. More nor there... bold move.

I loved Bryan Danielson Promo after beating Gibson for the belt. He helped deter the "sellout" chants for Gibson. I think my biggest gripe was that Gibson should have never won the belt. He had a great short run with the company. I think you could certainly argue that Gibson needed ROH, more than ROH needed Gibson heading into 2005. Certainly the WWE/TNA cloud was putting pressure on ROH; but there were several contenders that could have won the belt, and arguably better suited. I think Samoa Joe, Austin Aires, and Daniel Danielson all would have been fine choices. Even pending the relationship with TNA at the time, you had Daniels and AJ Styles wrestling part time. Then you had some really good young/green talent in guys like Jay Lethal and Roderick Strong. Not saying they were ready at the time; but certainly making some waves. Even someone like Colt Cabana for a short reign.

The other thing... with Austin Aires run, it felt like it got cut short with the CM Punk angle. In retrospect, i think it would have made more sense to have Punk beat Joe at Punk vs Joe II. Punk gets a decent run OCT 04-June 05; then austin aires wins it and drops it to Danielson at FB 2005. Hindsight 20/20... but i think you'd have a better run with Punk, and you could still have him go with the "leave with the belt" angle. Austin Aires gets a better reign, and Danielson gets his reign in 2006.

OR maybe James GIbson stays in ROH another 6-9 months and defends the belt. To me, Gibson, and probably more so, Kyle O Reily, are the black eyes on the ROH championship over 18 years. You may not like someone like PCO or Dalton Castle... but they certainly toughed it out; and did their best. Can't blame anyone for doing what's best for their family... but more so, it's on the company and the individual to make it work.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Danielson wasn't available in time to dethrone Punk. Putting the title on Daniels may have been option since he's a TNA name that beat the WWE-bound Gibson clean in SOTF, but he was cold coming out of the summer program against Punk. The title was NOT going back on Joe since he was in his mid-2010s Cena phase and had his fingers in the TNA pie.

Gibson was always going to win the title - Daniels wasn't gonna beat Punk for the reasons mentioned. I see an opportunity at Redemption though - instead of using it to program Daniels against Joe, use it to build an unresolved issue against Gibson. Then Daniels, rather than Danielson, would dethrone Gibson.

In this scenario, the best program I can think coming out of it is that Daniels is ANOTHER short reign after Punk and Gibson, but this time it's a bit different. In his very first defense, Daniels drops the title to Danielson, who wins clean, but absolutely brutalizes the Fallen Angel in the finish and post-match. Danielson is the new champ, he has turned heel in a way that's different than Punk's post-coronation turn (physicality rather than psychological chickenshit words.)

This Danielson turn would be unique - while Punk and Gibson had one foot out the door for New York, Danielson had spent all summer working on his craft and showing how much he loved wrestling, and he's fed up with the company and the fans for accepting wrestlers that care more about TNA and WWE. For this very reason, Danielson absolutely refuses to defend the title against anyone signed to TNA or WWE - this includes Joe, Styles, Abyss, Aries, Strong, Daniels, Homicide, and Shelley.

With this direction, you can delay numerous marquee defenses for Danielson, while immediately using him to elevate true free agent regulars like Delirious, Sydal, and Castagnoli. You can even leave a loophole there that while Danielson was fixated on avoiding WWE/TNA talent, here come KENTA and Marufuji from NOAH. You also still have Low Ki for awhile too, as he hadn't signed with TNA again until a few months after ROH fucked him off.

Oh yeah, you also still have Danielson vs. McGuinness in the champion vs. champion program, plus the incoming ultraviolent invasion to keep Danielson busy too in another loophole.

Circling this back to Gibson, this still protects him. It would be Daniels as the first victim of Danielson's anti-mainstream heel run, so Gibson still gets to have his sentimental farewells and not be shit on. In addition, Daniels gets treated similarly to how Homicide would be in early 2007 - he gets his moment, but then it's rapidly, violently proven to be just that. No big reign, just his career-defining gold watch moment on the indies.
Montana

Post by Montana »

That seems like a pretty interesting way to lay things out. I for the most part like it, but i'm not a fan of short title reigns unless there is no other choice. While i think Christopher Daniels certainly deserved a run with the ROH title sometime between 2002-2006; it mostly seems like that never mainly because of his ties with TNA at the time. Again, in retrospect, i probably would have pulled the trigger on Daniels either instead of Xavier, or double crossing Xavier before Joe won the belt. He was ready since day 1 as a top draw/wrestler in the company.

The Punk/Daniels feud was certainly well done. I think they could have even just went from Punk to Daniels and that would have made a lot of sense too.

It's amazing how stacked the roster was in 2005. I didn't even mention Nigel along with the 6-8 other contenders for the belt at the time.

Side note: Survival of the Fittest 2005 was probably the best SOTF of all time. Some hidden little gems in the first round with Joe vs. Milano Collection AT, Gibsons vs. Daniels, and Aires vs. Rave. Then the 6 way had a good mix of talent, with a satisfying ending. Typically i am not a big fan of SOTF; but this is certainly a noteworthy show... as many were in this era.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

indyfan wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:44 pm i hated James Gibson as champ.

huh?
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:06 pm

huh?
I hated James Gibson as champ. but the four way where he won it was great.
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:27 pm

huh?
I can read that, I'm just more so shocked as in 16 years since he came in you are the only person to ever say anything bad about the guy in the ring or as champion. Like I'm literally astounded and don't know how this can be an opinion founded upon logic.
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:26 pm

huh?
I can read that, I'm just more so shocked as in 16 years since he came in you are the only person to ever say anything bad about the guy in the ring or as champion. Like I'm literally astounded and don't know how this can be an opinion founded upon logic.
His chase was okay even good at times. His match vs Roddy was his best singles match. His title defenses sucked outside of his loss to Bryan.

I just dont care that much about his stint as champ.

Roddy and Aries both had a way better year than him as did Bryan, Mcguiness, Punk and even Lethal.
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:39 pm

His chase was okay even good at times. His match vs Roddy was his best singles match. His title defenses sucked outside of his loss to Bryan.

Roddy and Aries both had a way better year than him as did Bryan, Mcguiness, Punk and even Lethal.
Like I said, I'm blown away. 31 flavors theory applies but man you are the one man choosing raw butter.

He never defended the title (won in the 4 way at Redemption in Dayton) lost to Bryan at Glory By Honor IV the next show he was on. He didn't have a stint as champ, the company already knew he was going back to WWE when he got the belt. That's why he got it.

You're final statement is insanity. Bryan was gone from May-September, Punk was gone in August and had some rather awful matches with Rave because of shenanigans, Lethal hadn't found himself and only worked ROH sparingly(11 matches I do believe), Nigel was great but still coming into his own as a heel(August). Roddy & Aries both had issues and Aries best stuff was with Gibson.

The Roddy match at Unforgettable was in fact top notch. No disagreement, I'd also put both Aries singles matches there too, along with the title change. The Joe match was also HIGHLY recommended in Buffalo which is a famous show for one for one of the best fan fights ever.
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:14 pm

Like I said, I'm blown away. 31 flavors theory applies but man you are the one man choosing raw butter.

He never defended the title (won in the 4 way at Redemption in Dayton) lost to Bryan at Glory By Honor IV the next show he was on. He didn't have a stint as champ, the company already knew he was going back to WWE when he got the belt. That's why he got it.

You're final statement is insanity. Bryan was gone from May-September, Punk was gone in August and had some rather awful matches with Rave because of shenanigans, Lethal hadn't found himself and only worked ROH sparingly(11 matches I do believe), Nigel was great but still coming into his own as a heel(August). Roddy & Aries both had issues and Aries best stuff was with Gibson.

The Roddy match at Unforgettable was in fact top notch. No disagreement, I'd also put both Aries singles matches there too, along with the title change. The Joe match was also HIGHLY recommended in Buffalo which is a famous show for one for one of the best fan fights ever.
Honestly, im just not a huge fan of him. I think his matches with Aries are good, but its more because Aries. Same with Strong. The four way was great, but it had Punk, Daniels and Joe in it. All those guys i just mentioned are favourites of mine. I cant really think of a match of his that i was really blown away by that didnt include another wrestler i really enjoyed( a huge fan
of).

i actually think his time in ROH is over rated. The guys 2005s i found better were not there as much as him but they made more of an impact on me within less time than Gibsons 8 months

Also Aries matches vs Joe and Shelley blow away both Gibson matches.
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:08 am

Honestly, im just not a huge fan of him. I think his matches with Aries are good, but its more because Aries. Same with Strong. The four way was great, but it had Punk, Daniels and Joe in it. All those guys i just mentioned are favourites of mine. I cant really think of a match of his that i was really blown away by that didnt include another wrestler i really enjoyed( a huge fan
of).

i actually think his time in ROH is over rated. The guys 2005s i found better were not there as much as him but they made more of an impact on me within less time than Gibsons 8 months

Different strokes my dude, but I definitely think no offense, you are the cheese standing alone as the old saying goes.
Captain Podcast
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Picking nits - Gibson did defend the title against Cabana at Dragon Gate Invasion and Spanky at Night of the Grudges II. I remember quite liking the Cabana defense.
AnHonorableMention

Wavelet Transform wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:05 pm

Picking nits - Gibson did defend the title against Cabana at Dragon Gate Invasion and Spanky at Night of the Grudges II. I remember quite liking the Cabana defense.
Oddly enough the Cabana match and the 3 way from NOG 2 are not listed in the title history. Very odd but they definitely happened!
Captain Podcast
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

The fact that more people haven’t seen the Gibson/Cabana World Title Match sucks. I love that one.

I’m sure I remember Gibson defending it against Roddy in FIP in another REALLY good match as well, although maybe I have my timeline wrong.

2005 is my personal favourite ROH year - and I adore that Gibson run. In all fairness I’m not certain I’d have made him World Champion either, but if nothing else Jamie being the one to dethrone Punk was a wonderful moment (also great story-telling playing off the Fate Of An Angel match...), and Bryan/Gibson in an ROH ring was an absolute dream match so I’m fine with having the stakes for that even higher by putting the title on the line too.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:44 pm

of).

Different strokes my dude, but I definitely think no offense, you are the cheese standing alone as the old saying goes.
lol.i know im alone on that.
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:01 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:44 pm

of).

lol.i know im alone on that.
I've been around ROH in some way, shape or form since 2002. I have absolutely no recall of anyone ever saying anything negative about Gibson. You are in fact the first.
Captain Podcast