Who else is completely annoyed with Davey Richards?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chaosphere

Re: Who else is completely annoyed with Davey Richards?

Post by Chaosphere »

Nothing against the OP but this argument is really nothing new. Many were complaining about Davey in 2010 on the old board WAYYYYYY before he had the title.
hairmatch

Post by hairmatch »

Agreed that Davey's promos haven't helped him. Neither has his rivalry with Edwrads, who's just too easy to root for. Neither has his alliance with O'Reilly and that old guy who wants my 20 year olds.

But, I actually liked his in-ring promo after the Elgin match and his confrontations with Steen.
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

Jeremy wrote:His booking isn't the problem for me, like I said originally, it's his matches. It's like watching an action movie that has no storyline, no substance, just a bunch of car chases, some big explosions, and special effects. Nothing ever connects to anything else because there's no story to build, no emotion to put in. Just head drop, head drop, head drop, head drop, head drop, etc.

I personally didn't care at all for the Elgin match, I can't really see why people are calling it a five star classic. When a Fisherman's Buster to the floor followed by a powerbomb on the guardrail is a TRANSITIONAL MOVE, you've got problems. Don't forget that top rope Dragon Suplex, which was forgotten immediately after it got a 2 count.... not to mention Davey's "fuck sports entertainment" promo right after.... just put a bad taste in my mouth.
This is booking. I don't think a lot of people realize this.

The Elgin match worked more so because it presented a different type of opponent for Davey, so it was booked differently and had the perfect crowd for it on that day.

At least if you are going to have Davey working that style, you need to tone it down and moderate it at times. The guy has been in every main event of every show he has been on since the TV started with the exception of one! And it's not like he is particularly getting the best variety of opponents either. So it's like a nitpick within a nitpick. That's what the current booking regime does. It's just flat out poor, bad booking on the part of ROH.

People think this type of match is all Davey is capable of. It's not. Davey is world traveled. You don't think the guy can mix it up? I personally know that Davey & Eddie wanted to have a completely different kind of match at FB, but alas, Mr. JC said otherwise.

Again, it doesn't help that the issue is glorified and showcased in ways when he is constantly in every main event getting more time than everyone else on the show, while a lot of the undercard stuff is typically super neutered/basic/slowed down.

A booker's job is to protect a guy, accentuate the positives and hide the negatives. They fail in just about every conceivable way as it pertains to such with Davey.
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

His promos suck and his storylines except for the Kevin Steen one have sucked. Hes wrestled roddy and Eddie in like 80% of his title matches so that is probably why everyone loves the Elgin match so much.

Didn't he only defend against them once each in singles, then together in a triple threat? Could be forgetting something.
Riddick

Post by Riddick »

Davey may be a little overexposed but I wouldn't consider myself annoyed by him.

I'd rather turn him heel, but what I appreciate about his jiu-jitsu shtick is that it's something he can attach to his character and gives him a bit more depth than just being the guy that does everything. I appreciate guys who have characters that allow them to have personalities. That's why I've been loving Roderick Strong as of late, they're letting him be the guy who doesn't train and just loves to party and get chicks, I see it I get it. That's one thing that irritates me about guys like Eddie Edwards even though I like the guy, what's his personality? What's his character? What would Eddie Edwards do in his every day life pertaining to his character we see on TV?

That's why I don't mind Davey now. He has a bit more character, as a fan I assume he's spending his days grappling and doing jiu jitsu, it's something that helps me relate and understand his character.
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

Riddick wrote: That's why I don't mind Davey now. He has a bit more character, as a fan I assume he's spending his days grappling and doing jiu jitsu, it's something that helps me relate and understand his character.
Yeah I agree with that even though I didn't realize it. Davey is a more 3dimensional character now.