Final Battle 2020 Predictions

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Final Battle 2020 Predictions

Post by monster mafia »

Shanahan wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:12 pm I could see a scenario in post covid future where AEW would send some of their younger guys who need match time (5 min dark matches a week wont cut it ) to ROH for 6 to 8 month peroid & ROH sends a former champ who is in between storylines (think cobb this time last year) to AEW to be used to get over a upper mid carder.
so you want roh to be a aew development company?
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:55 pm Roh is teasing returns and debuts for the show
Davey Richards? 👀
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

I have no idea, but i think they should of skipped FB and waited until the anniversary show to get back into ppv.. Im not sure how many eyes are on the product right now.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

indyfan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:52 am I have no idea, but i think they should of skipped FB and waited until the anniversary show to get back into ppv.. Im not sure how many eyes are on the product right now.
Felt like there were more people talking about ROH tv during the Pure Title tournament than have done in a very long time, how many stick around remains to be seen.

I'm excited to finally be able to look forward to a full ROH event, also intrigued by the presentation too. I enjoy the TV in its current no fans format but 3 hours plus? Could be a tough watch
Montana

Post by Montana »

Final Battle seemed like a good time; to keep some buzz from the Pure Tournament still going; and a way to get fans ready for 2021. My only problem is that they have 4 weeks of 1 hour TV to set it up. Sure, you have Taven and Vincent that started before; and a few other teases; but not a TON of build to really hype the matches unless they do rematches. Plus i believe the Mexican talent; won't be on TV before the PPV; so no real build to those matches. BUT I think the ROH faithful appreciates the effort they've been putting in to safely run these shows.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:55 pm Roh is teasing returns and debuts for the show
I'll throw out a guess and say Lio Rush
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Montana wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:44 am Wwe is currently doing a champ vs champ match to headline a major ppv with like 10 days build. It’s possible... especially when you don’t have proper time to build up a ppv. Maybe not ideal, but you can do it.
So you want to copy what they're doing? A product that is unwatchable at best? Are you trying to harm ROH?
Montana wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:44 amBandido is on the final battle poster. He’ll make it back to ROH soon it seems, And I still stand by if Rush leaves I’d put the belt on him, assuming he’s healthy now.
He can't talk, need to be able to talk people into tuning in. Bandido is among the best in the world, but World Champ? I don't think so. Not everyone who is great should be the face of your company.
Montana wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:44 amI just casually keep up with njpw headlines. Good for Cobb if he’s doing well. Didn’t seem that way from the pwi report.
Mike is a great dude, but I wouldn't rely on PWInsider for NJPW news and notes.
Montana wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:44 amLucha Bros have main evented like 1 week this year, and it just last week. They’ve done nothing since the Bucks feud. Covid didn’t help but I’ll be happy if they use them more/better going forward. I watch dynamite, not dark though. Merely speculation on my behalf, but who knows if AEW can stay in business at this pace for 3-5 years. They haven’t grown their audience at all the first 18 months... plus I have to imagine covid is hurting them. Now they aren’t trouble now, as they continue to spend...but I don’t see fans flocking to events in the next 1-2 years. They had trouble selling 800-900 tickets to full gear.
They were obviously gone due to the pandemic until the summer. Since then, they've aligned with Eddie Kingston, prior to that PAC. They're presently in a main storyline. Not everyone needs to be a main event act at all times. That's not possible. Who knows if AEW can stay in business? ROH Is more likely to go out of business than AEW. AEW has a guaranteed check from Warner Media every January 1st for the next 4 years, for content. They have corporate sponsorships, cross promotion with TNT, and some 8 demo numbers each week.

Having said that, the pandemic has crushed many businesses. But let's also not pretend ROH is immune. SBG is a cheap company that with Trump out is likely to lose a lot of revenue because the republican party is in turmoil and many people within the party's financial donors are siding with Trump vs. the actual party. Full Gear was maxed out ticket wise at 1000 people. It was sold out 3 days prior to the event. 1000 people is certainly better than the 0 tickets sold ROH has going for them. Let's also mention that ROH is not going to go out and outbid AEW for a tag team that also can double their monies in Mexico(once the pandemic is minimized).
Montana wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:44 amYour the first person I’ve seen that say Kenny king is loved, and should be ROH champ. I like him, and actually think he’s very close to Taven, but I give the edge to Taven in nearly every category to measure a wrestler as of 2019-20. While on the subject of giving the belt to people who earned it, Silas Young would have to be in the discussion at this point if we are talking King and Taven as world champs.
We've already experienced PCO, Dalton, and Taven, this company can't afford to put the belt on Silas Young who has been booked into the ground and back up and then back down and back up and back down. Dude is not a headliner. Kenny has national appeal, he can talk, he can work, and he's got the ability to go heel, face, and work with anyone. Matt Taven is a flat line.
Captain Podcast
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

classic-cabana wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:48 am
indyfan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:52 am I have no idea, but i think they should of skipped FB and waited until the anniversary show to get back into ppv.. Im not sure how many eyes are on the product right now.
Felt like there were more people talking about ROH tv during the Pure Title tournament than have done in a very long time, how many stick around remains to be seen.

I'm excited to finally be able to look forward to a full ROH event, also intrigued by the presentation too. I enjoy the TV in its current no fans format but 3 hours plus? Could be a tough watch
It will be interesting to see if they change anything in how they approach it, if they change the canvas multiple times, requiring a certain amount talent in and around the arena at a given time. The main thing for me will be match length, with the amount of time they are putting into vignettes, interviews etc, the match times are suffering and if they do stick to this current format then a 2 hour TV show is more than doable just by upping match length and I would have thought this applies to PPV as well.

There’s also the real possibility of a sub 3 hour PPV which may help things, also I know ROH are treating Final Battle as a live PPV but with supposedly TV tapings place on the 11th of December and then a PPV on the sixteenth do you think ROH will pre tape Final Battle as can talent really be asked to be held up in a hotel for two weeks.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

One of the main complaints after MSG show was that King won the rumble and after he got his title shot RoH has pushed him into a supporting character role. And now we have someone seriously arguing that he should be world champ.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Update for today:

It was announced earlier this week that Ring of Honor will make its long-awaited return to pay-per-view with Final Battle 2020 on Dec. 18. Now comes the blockbuster news that every ROH title will be defended on the show (barring any unforeseen restrictions due to the pandemic).

That means defenses by Mexican stars World Champion RUSH, World Television Champion Dragon Lee and World Six-Man Tag Team Champions MexiSquad (Bandido, Flamita and Rey Horus). Plus, Jonathan Gresham will do double duty, defending the both the Pure Title and the World Tag Team Title with Jay Lethal.

In other news regarding Final Battle, Tony Deppen has been signed to compete at the event. Deppen had a strong showing in defeat against PJ Black in the ROH Pure Title Tournament.
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:46 pm
They were obviously gone due to the pandemic until the summer. Since then, they've aligned with Eddie Kingston, prior to that PAC. They're presently in a main storyline. Not everyone needs to be a main event act at all times. That's not possible. Who knows if AEW can stay in business? ROH Is more likely to go out of business than AEW. AEW has a guaranteed check from Warner Media every January 1st for the next 4 years, for content. They have corporate sponsorships, cross promotion with TNT, and some 8 demo numbers each week.

Having said that, the pandemic has crushed many businesses. But let's also not pretend ROH is immune. SBG is a cheap company that with Trump out is likely to lose a lot of revenue because the republican party is in turmoil and many people within the party's financial donors are siding with Trump vs. the actual party. Full Gear was maxed out ticket wise at 1000 people. It was sold out 3 days prior to the event. 1000 people is certainly better than the 0 tickets sold ROH has going for them. Let's also mention that ROH is not going to go out and outbid AEW for a tag team that also can double their monies in Mexico(once the pandemic is minimized).
Neither company is immune to this... i never said ROH was in a better financial spot. Here's more news on AEW ticket sales.

"As you might expect given the limited seating in the middle of a pandemic, AEW Dynamite tickets at Daily’s Place haven’t been selling well lately. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that with 650 available seats, there were less than 180 sold for Wednesday’s episode.

AEW attempted to help ticket sales by saying those with tickets to the taping would get “first shot” at the December 2nd episode with Jon Moxley vs. Kenny Omega. A socially-distanced meet and greet for ticket holders was also added. All told, the taping had 450 fans, with 400 paid and 50 sponsor tickets."

Think it will be a while before we see full crowds at wrestling shows. It's going to hurt all the companies.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Thinking about six-man tags, wasn't there a storyline before pandemic that SoS/Shane would get a title shot after he formed STP and "signed" a new deal? If Shane won't be involved with Rush or EC3 then that sounds like an obvious match to do that doesn't really require any additional build up.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Montana wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:26 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:46 pm

Neither company is immune to this... i never said ROH was in a better financial spot. Here's more news on AEW ticket sales.

"As you might expect given the limited seating in the middle of a pandemic, AEW Dynamite tickets at Daily’s Place haven’t been selling well lately. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that with 650 available seats, there were less than 180 sold for Wednesday’s episode.

AEW attempted to help ticket sales by saying those with tickets to the taping would get “first shot” at the December 2nd episode with Jon Moxley vs. Kenny Omega. A socially-distanced meet and greet for ticket holders was also added. All told, the taping had 450 fans, with 400 paid and 50 sponsor tickets."

Think it will be a while before we see full crowds at wrestling shows. It's going to hurt all the companies.
Aren’t they running the same place every week? There has be some fatigue on the fans end.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:26 pm

As someone with knowledge from actual people in the company and adjacent to it, those numbers are not accurate. The meet and greet was announced a week prior and total numbers were above 500 paid.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Lynx wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:52 am One of the main complaints after MSG show was that King won the rumble and after he got his title shot RoH has pushed him into a supporting character role. And now we have someone seriously arguing that he should be world champ.
I don't recall anyone complaining about Kenny King winning the battle royal. More over, I think there was genuine excitement that he was finally going to get a chance on top. The main complaints were nothing for Marty, Enzo & Cass, the Bubba garbage, stagnant product in general.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

There were people complaining about all aspects of the show; but yes Kenny was part of it too. Certainly not as much as Taven/ Enzo; but i'd say after them and the Bully Ray stuff. Not saying i agree with all the folks who were complaining about it. I was actually defended Kenny winning. I think they wanted a NJPW legend to win instead of Kenny. Either way; seemed like a logical choice given the company needed to elevate loyal wrestlers on the roster.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

There were tons of people laughing at ROHs entire presence at MSG. In fact most people say njpw sold out MSG and it was ROH who tagged along.

I like King but hes not a world champ. atleast not yet. looking at most reviews from other sites, king isnt well liked. King being champ would hurt the company more than benefit it. im on another site, and everyone laughs at ROH for the most part.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I think it was more of the "Elite/Bullet Club" hype that sold MSG than ROH or NJPW as it sold out in 2018.

Wrestling fans criticize and laugh at every company. You slowly start to see the AEW hate and doubters creeping in too. Think most of the disdain for ROH is that they never jumped up into mainstream....but yet keep the same golden era style (2004-2006) that got them famous. Expecting fans to keep paying for DVDs and HonorClub; instead of capitalizing on success when the window of opportunity was wide open. They tried to slowly grow, instead of taking risk.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Montana wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:04 am I think it was more of the "Elite/Bullet Club" hype that sold MSG than ROH or NJPW as it sold out in 2018.

Wrestling fans criticize and laugh at every company. You slowly start to see the AEW hate and doubters creeping in too. Think most of the disdain for ROH is that they never jumped up into mainstream....but yet keep the same golden era style (2004-2006) that got them famous. Expecting fans to keep paying for DVDs and HonorClub; instead of capitalizing on success when the window of opportunity was wide open. They tried to slowly grow, instead of taking risk.
Most wrestling fans are dumb. If you like WWE and hate everything else, that’s fine. Same with AEW, ROH, etc. I don’t see how “fans” can say AJ Styles sucks because he worked for TNA, but the second he shows up in WWE, he’s the best. I never got the “I like this, so I am going to hate that” mentality of some wrestling fans. It’s moronic. Only those that hold monetary interest in a company, should want others to fail.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:48 am
Montana wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:04 am I think it was more of the "Elite/Bullet Club" hype that sold MSG than ROH or NJPW as it sold out in 2018.

Most wrestling fans are dumb. If you like WWE and hate everything else, that’s fine. Same with AEW, ROH, etc. I don’t see how “fans” can say AJ Styles sucks because he worked for TNA, but the second he shows up in WWE, he’s the best. I never got the “I like this, so I am going to hate that” mentality of some wrestling fans. It’s moronic. Only those that hold monetary interest in a company, should want others to fail.
This.

If any wrestling company is putting on a show you enjoy then watch it and support it with your $$$. If not then take a break, watch something else. Taking sides between wrestling companies is just stupid.