Dan 'The Beast' Severn

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Dan 'The Beast' Severn

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Ever since they announced that Dan Severn was Eddie's trainer for Final Battle, we've been very critical of this strange move on ROHCast. And this happens again on this weeks episode.

But I'm curious, is everyone else confused by this strange move by ROH? Does anyone see any benefits to Severn being involved? What do you think his involvement will be at Final Battle?
cviens

Re: Dan 'The Beast' Severn

Post by cviens »

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by it all and don't think there is any benefits. It just seems really random and pointless unless ROH is trying to strike up some deal with Severn's school for whatever reason.
lariato

Post by lariato »

I'm not sure what the point of him appearing is. They could just say Eddie is training at his gym which would have the exact same effect in the storyline. The only thing I can think of is perhaps they're going to have him as a corner man to throw in the towel so Eddie can keep his diehard gimmick by not tapping.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

Notable UFC guy. Adds intrigue to the match - has he helped Eddie come up with a way to topple Davey - so that's a plus. I don't see what's wrong with it at all, honestly.
cviens

Post by cviens »

I don't see anything wrong with it either, it just seems a bit random and it honestly doesn't have me any more interested in their upcoming match at Final Battle.
davew00d

Post by davew00d »

What's strange about cross-promoting with MMA, the hottest sports and entertainment thing out there?

Severn's arguably the biggest name in UFC history. This can only create press.
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

He friends with Cornette, he's likely not expensive, and he's a name with some realm of note. Good move.
Admin note: User permanently banned.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

I don't see what it adds to the match at Final Battle. I think they were clutching at straws with how to put a different slant on the rematch from 'Best In The World'. I'm also very worried by the emphasis they seem to be putting on MMA.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

Placing emphasis on MMA is one of the smarter things they can do. Drawing from that wrestling fanbase that deserted wrestling for MMA is something all wrestling promotions should be trying to do. And again, it adds intrigue to the match. Eddie is getting trained by Dan Severn. Can Dan Severn give Edwards an edge against Richards, who's already been taken by surprise in regards to Edwards using the Dragon Sleeper? That's the whole point. Having a straight up rematch would be boring. This adds a different element.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

I'm glad they've gone for a different slant on the match and I applaud them for that. It just seems a bit of a weird choice. I don't mind the whole 'Eddie training with somebody new' but what they did with Davey being annoyed was stupid.

Some aspects of MMA can be brought into Pro Wrestling, I admit. But this whole 'American Strong Style' stuff seems to be just a rip off of MMA. The recent Davey and O'Reilly match on TV suffered a bit IMO because they tried too hard to make it look like some sort of MMA sparring session.
ROHWorld_Jon
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Jon »

I don't see what Severn's presence adds to the show, but if he is just going to be in Eddie's corner I don't see what it hurts either. It does seem really random to me, though. It does add a wrinkle to their match at Final Battle with Eddie knowing a new move, but it just seems really weird to me.

I do think adding some aspects of MMA to wrestling is a good idea, but I don't want to see simulated MMA for an entire wrestling show. There is a very fine line and ROH has to be careful not to get too MMA heavy, which I think they're getting dangerously close to doing.
Teenage Mutant Nana Turtle
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

It's like putting Tommy Dreamer in Eddie Kingston's corner for the CHIKARA iPPV. If it catches on somewhere in the world of MMA that Severn's doing the ROH show, then that could be an enticing addition for an old wrestling fan-turned MMA fan to watch the ROH show.
davew00d

Post by davew00d »

I'd rather that ROH takes it's influences from MMA than, say, WWE or TNA.

Anyway, if anything, ROH is a lot less MMA-influenced than it was back in the mid-2000s and most people will tell you that the company peaked, creatively, during that spell.
ad.breed

Post by ad.breed »

Hard to take Dan Severn seriously after Tom Lawler's UFC weigh in as him. :lol: