ROH Pure Tournament

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

ROH Pure Tournament

Post by Montana »

So ROH is finally back on new live events starting with the Pure Title Tournament. So far we are on week 3 of the tournament. What do you guys think so far? Seems like the shows have been getting some positive reviews, and a handful of more new fans wanted to check out the product; so that's good. ROH has been trying to get "Watch parties" on twitter with people streaming the show live via the ROH website/FITE.tv.

Overall; I like the presentation with the personal interviews getting to know the wrestlers. That seems to be getting the most praise. The matches have been solid as expected. I like the more sporty feel to the matches. Looking forward to when they air more than 2 matches; and have a mix of styles; but i understand that will take some time. Now is a good time to try and hook some new viewers though; and hopefully ROH can continue with some of their momentum.

In terms of favorites to win; I still like Gresham, Woods, and Williams.

What do you guys think so far?
kovs27

Re: ROH Pure Tournament

Post by kovs27 »

I've really enjoyed the sports style presentation and the Pure style matches. With athleticism and high flying action being highlighted for so many years in ROH and pretty much every other country it's pretty cool to watch some of the best go hold for hold. I think this weeks episode was the best so far. I absolutely loved Fred Yehi's debut, he was fantastic. King and Woods had a great back and forth bout that could have went either way.

To go back to the sports style presentation, the sit down interviews before each match where each competitor talks about their history and motivations really does wonders to freshen up certain people. Dalton Castle is an example of this. He was able to refocus his character and give him a new edge that he has been lacking for quite a long time.

I still think it's either Hot Sauce or Gresham.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Haven't seen it, but by all accounts in comparison to the original tournament, it sounds like a rare example that proves the #ItUsedToBeBetter hypothesis to NOT be correct.
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

I am enjoying it. The presentation, the sports based styles. I'm enjoying.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I'm very happy with it so far. Interested to see how the shows look after the tournament.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

A ec3 promo aired at the end of this week show
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Another show with excellent wrestling. I feel that Lethal selling his knee so much will be a factor in the next round. I had to watch 2 replays to really see what Gresham did to Sydal to get the submission. A really cool move.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I loved Williams vs. Yehi. Both guys looked great and you could tell they have tons of chemistry. I could have watched another 20 minutes. I thought the next match was the best showcase Josh Woods has gotten in his entire ROH run. The Pure style match really suits his strengths in the ring and the story they told showed Josh was superior at mat wrestling and there was very little PJ could do to slow him down. I think him and Gresham could put together something special next week.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

This is the best wrestling program on tv. I loved the past 6 weeks of this tournament. Right now Yehi vs Williams was the best match of the tournament followed by Yehi vs Young.

Even PJ Black has done extremely well in ring.

Please gives us Williams vs Gresham. Williams promos have been top notch as well.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Yes!!!!!!

ROH last night was the best. Tracy vs Lethal was fantastic

Cant wait to see Tracy vs Gresham. Heres hoping Tracy picks up the win. He deserves it

Tracy has been the MVP this year
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I felt like Woods and Gresham left some meat on the bone. I'd like to see them hook up again and go longer.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

lets go hot sauce!
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Just got done watching it...this tourney has been fantastic. ROH has done great job with these tv shows. I love both guys but something about Williams winning would make for a compelling underdog story
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Shanahan wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:07 pm Just got done watching it...this tourney has been fantastic. ROH has done great job with these tv shows. I love both guys but something about Williams winning would make for a compelling underdog story
Agreed. Best part is, hes been having the best matches too. I have a feeling hes winning, since Gresham has the tag belt.

Im totally down for a Tracy Williams reign. Also his promos have been great too.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

HYPE

Montana

Post by Montana »

Let's go!!! Should be a great finals.... as much as i want Williams to win; i think Gresham is on another level right now. Probably one of the best technical wrestlers in the world, next to guys like ZSJ. I'd maybe have Gresham win it; and maybe in 9-12 months; Williams dethrone's him. Think i'd be happy either way. Certainly a hot sauce fan.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

The biggest result from this tournament is that Hot Sauce went from a guy on the roster to a major player now. Even with a lose in the Finals people now have an emotional attachment to Tracy and that's something that didn't happen throughout 2019.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

liked the show this week.

Im happy Shane Taylor productions won as they need it going forward.

I enjoyed the story of the Pure finals. Tracys shoulder was targetted the whole tournament hence the shoulder brace thing he wore. The match was great but it wasnt the top match i was hoping for. Tracy came out of this tournament looking like a million bucks though and hes still my MVP of it.

Best matches imo.

Tracy Williams vs Jay Lethal
Tracy Williams vs Fred Yehi
Fred Yehi vs Silas Young
Tracy Williams vs Jonathan Gresham
Tracy Williams vs Rust Taylor

Im happy with the results because of the story of Williams shoulder and he had harder fought matches throughout the tournament so his loss makes sense.

Bottom line: this Tournament was awesome and its great that a sports based wrestling promotion is avaliable for those who dont care for musicals or weddings. Best booking Delirious has ever done.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

The ending to the finals did feel sudden but after thinking about it, that is more realistic. Gresham is a great choice for the title and I liked the respect by each competitor and Jay Lethal afterwards. Williams definitely got made this tournament.
Montana

Post by Montana »

kovs27 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:12 am The ending to the finals did feel sudden but after thinking about it, that is more realistic. Gresham is a great choice for the title and I liked the respect by each competitor and Jay Lethal afterwards. Williams definitely got made this tournament.
Completely agree. The sudden ending caught me a bit off guard, mainly because I thought they would go 20-25 with all rope breaks exhausted.

I really like the Josh woods vs Pj Black and Jonathan Gresham matches too.

It will be interesting to see what’s next. While yes, it’s great to have a pure division/ takeover. Still a lot of non-pure guys on the roster. Variety is good though. Think booking a tournament is easy. Now it will be tough, especially with half of roster, and trying to gain momentum leading to 2021.