What action should ROH take regarding #SpeakingOut?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: What action should ROH take regarding #SpeakingOut?

Post by famicommander »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:32 pm
famicommander wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:54 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:24 pm Lastly, I saw Tyson mentioned and his deal with AEW. Mike, served his time, found religion, sought mental health treatment and does so continually to this day. That doesn't erase what he did, he'll be the first to admit it and how he copes with the guilt on a daily basis. I have been around a lot of people in my life growing up with a former prosecutor for a father who have committed crimes, not a one has shown the empathy and tried to repair their reputation like Mike Tyson has done. There's no erasing the action, but the follow up and penance after time served is what shows the character of a person. Seeing how Mike has handled his children, his current wife, and grown his brand shows that he's learned from his experience of disgusting criminal behavior.
Tyson to this day denies he did anything wrong to Desiree Washington and he went to a juvenile detention facility despite being 25 when he committed the rape. Then he served less than 3 years of a 6 year sentence.

He's also a repeat offender. This is all just the stuff that came out AFTER he went to jail. His rap sheet pre-jail is longer:

In 1993 he was accused of a 1991 battery by a beauty pageant contestant.

In 1996 he was accused of sexual battery at a nightclub.

In 1998 he was sued for physical and verbal abuse by two women from an incident at a bistro.

In 1998 (one month later) he plead no contest to a misdemeanor assault for beating up two men after a car accident.

In 2001 he was accused of raping a 50 year old woman but no charges were filed.

In 2002 it was announced he was under investigation for another 2001 rape.

Later in 2002 he was under investigation for yet another 2001 rape.

In 2004 he accepted a plea deal after he beat up two autograph seekers.

He also wrote in his own book that he once climbed up on the roof of his house and began throwing cinder blocks at his then-wife because she "didn't like the peanut butter cookies he had baked". He told the story as if the wife were the unreasonable one for calling the police.

His "reform" happened because people thought he was funny in the Hangover. That's it. He's a freaking serial rapist, a serial woman beater, and a generally unstable, violent individual.

Mike has been in therapy since his release and been arrested a grand total of zero times since serving his debt to society. Try again.

EDIT: Also holy shit you went back to June 25 to find this. Get a hobby.
I wasn't here much if at all during the shutdown and I only saw the post minutes before I replied to it.

You can talk about therapy all you want but when an already convicted rapist hires one of the same attorneys who represented Bill Cosby and Michael Jackson to get him out of several subsequent rape accusations, I tend to believe the accusers.

All of the incidents listed are public record. Mike was still denying he ever raped anybody on his podcast as recently as this year, as I watched the episode featuring Shannon Briggs.

And again, he didn't "serve his debt". They sent a grown ass heavyweight champion boxer to a juvenile's prison for a rape he committed at 25 years old, allowed him daily conjugal visits, then let him out before half his term was served.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
Marty Scurll and Dan Maff were both removed from the [ROH active roster.] Scurll’s situation was heavily talked about months back in the Speaking Out movement. There was a claim by a woman that he sexually assaulted her six years ago when he was 26 and she was 16. He admitted to having sex with the girl but said that it was consensual and in the U.K., like in a number of U.S. states, the age of consent is 16. But when he admitted it thinking it would defend him, that didn’t help him because it was an admission enough of the story was true that even if consensual it wouldn’t be viewed well. Scurll was removed as booker when ROH made the call to return and replaced by former booker Hunter Johnston, who has been in control of everything since the company returned from the pandemic with the Pure wrestling tournament. Scurll’s name had not been mentioned pretty much anytime since. He was quietly removed from the roster this past week. Nobody has officially stated what that means long-term or where things stand past he is not being considered for anything in creative plans at this time

Maff is no longer with the promotion
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Sounds like he coming back at some point
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

They should just let him go. Whether it was "legal" or not, there's no excuse for getting a 16 year old drunk to get into their pants.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

famicommander wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:36 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:32 pm
famicommander wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:54 pm

Tyson to this day denies he did anything wrong to Desiree Washington and he went to a juvenile detention facility despite being 25 when he committed the rape. Then he served less than 3 years of a 6 year sentence.

He's also a repeat offender. This is all just the stuff that came out AFTER he went to jail. His rap sheet pre-jail is longer:

In 1993 he was accused of a 1991 battery by a beauty pageant contestant.

In 1996 he was accused of sexual battery at a nightclub.

In 1998 he was sued for physical and verbal abuse by two women from an incident at a bistro.

In 1998 (one month later) he plead no contest to a misdemeanor assault for beating up two men after a car accident.

In 2001 he was accused of raping a 50 year old woman but no charges were filed.

In 2002 it was announced he was under investigation for another 2001 rape.

Later in 2002 he was under investigation for yet another 2001 rape.

In 2004 he accepted a plea deal after he beat up two autograph seekers.

He also wrote in his own book that he once climbed up on the roof of his house and began throwing cinder blocks at his then-wife because she "didn't like the peanut butter cookies he had baked". He told the story as if the wife were the unreasonable one for calling the police.

His "reform" happened because people thought he was funny in the Hangover. That's it. He's a freaking serial rapist, a serial woman beater, and a generally unstable, violent individual.

Mike has been in therapy since his release and been arrested a grand total of zero times since serving his debt to society. Try again.

EDIT: Also holy shit you went back to June 25 to find this. Get a hobby.
I wasn't here much if at all during the shutdown and I only saw the post minutes before I replied to it.

You can talk about therapy all you want but when an already convicted rapist hires one of the same attorneys who represented Bill Cosby and Michael Jackson to get him out of several subsequent rape accusations, I tend to believe the accusers.

All of the incidents listed are public record. Mike was still denying he ever raped anybody on his podcast as recently as this year, as I watched the episode featuring Shannon Briggs.

And again, he didn't "serve his debt". They sent a grown ass heavyweight champion boxer to a juvenile's prison for a rape he committed at 25 years old, allowed him daily conjugal visits, then let him out before half his term was served.

AEW is not even using Mike so I'm not sure what your hard on is here. Mike didn't know Cosby was a rapist. Mike in all likelihood didn't hire his own lawyer. Mike can deny what he did but he's guilty. You also don't put a person like that in a regular prison. It's a risk to so many involved. Also time off your sentence for good behavior is a part of the system. Has been forever.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

You're really in here arguing they were correct treat the 25 year old heavyweight champion of the world and convicted (and later, serial) rapist like a youth offender.

Nothing more needs to be said.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

famicommander wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:48 pm You're really in here arguing they were correct treat the 25 year old heavyweight champion of the world and convicted (and later, serial) rapist like a youth offender.

Nothing more needs to be said.
Actually, I'm not arguing anything, just pointing out that many prisons will put someone in a situation to not only keep themselves safe but also keep other inmates safe. That's the way prison works. Sorry pal, but I don't make the rules, I just understand them as they are.
Captain Podcast