Kenny King

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Kenny King

Post by Montana »

This thread was going to be titled "What's Kenny King Missing" but i didn't think that necessarily fair... as i'm not sure if it's actually something missing or not. I think most folks would agree that something just isn't clicking all the way with Kenny King in ROH. As a wrestler, he's solid. Probably not on the level of a Jay Lethal, but certainly above average. On the mic, he has better than average Mic Skills. ROH seems to continuously try and push him at the upper mid-card / Main Event level, but seems like he can't break the glass ceiling.

So is it something Kenny King is missing, OR is it more the booking and storytelling. I think the biggest missing link is probably the connection with the fans. For a guy who's probably been with the company over 10 years, or close to it with his time away, he's seems like a solid worker, but fans don't buy him in a main event role. So how can Kenny King better connect with the fans??

I was buying into the Rhett and Kenny feud, as they have good chemistry. I just couldn't get as invested in his other feuds. OR is Kenny King just a natural mid-card player, and it would be best to maximize that??

What do you guys think?
kovs27

Re: Kenny King

Post by kovs27 »

I've always felt he just can't get a match to that next level. He can have a good match but never great. I've felt the same way about it and have never been able to put my finger on it more than the last two sentences. Something is missing.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

kovs27 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:52 am I've always felt he just can't get a match to that next level. He can have a good match but never great. I've felt the same way about it and have never been able to put my finger on it more than the last two sentences. Something is missing.
I would definitely say it’s, I would also say he has the habit of being put in a situation where people don’t want to connect with him or he has some stupid gimmick attached to him. I think with LOS if it’s made to feel serious and he has a prominent role then the feeling towards will changed. There is no denying he’s ability of the mic, and general ability in the ring.

(I realise I’m swaying the topic slightly with this, but if it’s proven he’s one of the good ones in wrestling opinion will change of him)
Montana

Post by Montana »

kovs27 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:52 am I've always felt he just can't get a match to that next level. He can have a good match but never great. I've felt the same way about it and have never been able to put my finger on it more than the last two sentences. Something is missing.
That's a good point... He hasn't really had a singles match that was undeniably great. I think his best matches were the Ladder War for the tag titles, and the 3 way Taven/Lethal/King last year... off the top of my head. It'll be interesting to see what matches show up on next weeks ROH TV as he's featured. I know he talked about his singles match was Jay Lethal, but i really don't remember that much at the moment about it.

I would say that the booking and gimmicks hasn't helped, but also... you gotta maximize on your opportunities too. Big shows like MSG / Final Battle/ PPV's are the time he needs to step up his in ring work... which he's capable of.