Classic ROH discussion

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Classic ROH discussion

Post by Montana »

I figured with between Honorclub adding all of the original shows, and now being a good time to catch up on Classic ROH… it makes sense to have a thread dedicate to classic ROH.
So finally after about 3 months of quarantine I’ve decided to go back and watch 2002-2006. I actually have every show on DVD… but never fully watched all of them. I basically watched all the shows from 2007-current, plus a mix of shows from 2002 -2006…. Maybe 30-40% of those shows.

I’ve started with the first show: The Era of Honor Returns. I’ve actually seen this show before… but caught a few things on this show on the second/maybe third watch. Also wanted to start from the beginning and through each show.

To help jumpstart some of the discussion… here are a few observations/questions from the first show.

Noticed the Hit Squad mentioned AJ Styles was going to be at the first show on the bus, yet he wasn’t on the show. Did he end up getting injured? Or another reason why he wasn’t on the first show. (Also amazing red pulled double duty… was AJ supposed to be in one of those matches?)

Anyone find the first ROH match a little odd. For a company founded on the theme of “Honor” they essentially had Da Hit Squad beat up the Christopher Street Connection (Gay Couple) I fully get 2002 was a different time, and this was a very ECW thing to do. Felt like maybe a match like Jay Briscoe vs. Amazing Red or Xavier vs. Scoot Andrews could have opened with a classic wrestling match.

Jay Briscoe was really good for a 19 year old. He must have had some very good training to be that good, at that age.

Xavier , I can’t find a lot on his background. Seems like a solid indy wrestler who learned the craft from 1995-2002, then entered ROH. What was the feeling towards him at the time? Seems like he had the look WWE/WWF looks, and looks like he’s had a chance there.

How classic is the original Bryan Danielson vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Low Ki match. It feels like this match put ROH on the map.

What was your first impression of ROH??
EvanKnight

Re: Classic ROH discussion

Post by EvanKnight »

While the CSC hasn’t aged well, I think opening the show with Da Hit Squad was the perfect call. While there has always been the emphasis on honor and wrestling, ROH at its best has always been a well rounded pro wrestling company. Opening with Da Hit Squad and ending with that 3-way was a perfect introduction.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

My full analysis is on the Lapsed ROHbot series, but you guys are going way too easy on that homophobic dog shit segment. Now it's THAT much creepier with what's been revealed about Maff.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I created I thread for that type of discussion 3-4 years ago I think:

http://www.rohforum.site/viewtopic.php? ... 9e04d39d9d
Montana

Post by Montana »

Is a mod able to merge these threads and/or Sticky one of them??

Already in the first years, only a few shows in but a lot of hidden gems. I'm surprised i waited so long to go back and watch.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

supersonic wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:49 pm My full analysis is on the Lapsed ROHbot series, but you guys are going way too easy on that homophobic dog shit segment. Now it's THAT much creepier with what's been revealed about Maff.
This segment has another creepy layer now that I just read about Monsta Mack being a creepy piece of shit to young female colleagues too.