#SpeakingOut

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Re: #SpeakingOut

Post by supersonic »

famicommander wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:50 pm The UK scene is disgusting and promotions affiliated with WWE are disgusting. Progress checks both boxes so it's not surprising they're cool with getting 16 year olds drunk and taking advantage. Maybe they should call up Marty.
The subject of controversy (Paul Robinson) is the one that groomed Scurll's victim.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status ... 63784?s=20
Marty Scurll Backstage At Recent Tapings, Has Shown Interest In Joining Them

Subscribe to Fightful Select for more!

https://patreon.com/posts/47957576

Replies are off for EVERY Fightful Select story, not just this one. Thanks! The company is New Japan.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Man there really aren’t going to be many times I can watch New Japan with this and considering Ospreay is generally all over their cards. I just can’t believe how tone deaf they are as a company, they just don’t give a shit at all. It’s so weird considering how they have the pick of talent really and they go for two with such a dodgy past.

Progress is such a shit show, how anyone can look to support them is beyond me.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Sapp realized his error in treating this as a paywall story and has now made it public.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/47957576
Former ROH booker and star Marty Scurll was backstage at a recent set of New Japan Pro Wrestling Strong tapings, sources have confirmed to Fightful. We weren't told if Scurll had any involvement in the content on the show, but have been told that he has expressed interest in rejoining the company. Scurll hasn't worked for New Japan Pro Wrestling in any capacity since June 2019 as a part of the Best of the Super Juniors tournament. He and ROH parted ways after he was implicated in the Speaking Out Movement in June 2020.

We should reiterate, we were not told that Scurll had any involvement in the tapings. However, he was there, and spent time at the tapings in California. We reached out to NJPW but haven't heard back from them. We do not know if they reciprocated the same interest Scurll was said to show.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:34 am Man there really aren’t going to many times I can watch New Japan with this and considering Ospreay is generally all over their cards. I just can’t believe how tone deaf they are as a company, they just don’t give a shit at all. It’s so weird considering how they have the pick of talent really and they go for two with such a dodgy past.

NJPW isn't changing whatsoever about this situation until the culture of Japan changes. This is a grassroots issue.

https://www.mironline.ca/metoo-how-japa ... t-victims/

And for some historical irony about the "New Japan" name decades before NJPW's existence - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Japan ... 27s_League
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

supersonic wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:40 am
BurningHammer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:34 am Man there really aren’t going to many times I can watch New Japan with this and considering Ospreay is generally all over their cards. I just can’t believe how tone deaf they are as a company, they just don’t give a shit at all. It’s so weird considering how they have the pick of talent really and they go for two with such a dodgy past.

NJPW isn't changing whatsoever about this situation until the culture of Japan changes. This is a grassroots issue.

https://www.mironline.ca/metoo-how-japa ... t-victims/

And for some historical irony about the "New Japan" name decades before NJPW's existence - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Japan ... 27s_League
Even the brief time I spent in Japan I came across one instance that I found pretty off but nothing as serious as assault. Like every country it a lot issues when it comes to sexual assault, I wouldn’t say Britain has the certain issues Japan has but our ability to not take sexual assault, rape of any kind seriously as it should is something that is very cultural and unfortunately often isn’t helped by false reporting also.

Hopefully he doesn’t feature on any shows in Japan and just features on Power as I rarely watch the show anyway. Will be interesting how King feels about considering he’s been such a strong presence on that show.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/tony ... -joey-ryan
Tony Khan has publicly announced that he is pulling his wrestlers from a charity event that was revealed to be associated with Joey Ryan.

During the Speaking Out Movement during the summer, Joey Ryan was accused of multiple instances of sexual assault. Since then, Joey Ryan has not appeared in anything related to professional wrestling.

Recently, a show surfaced under the promotional banner of Wrestling 4 Women's Charity. On the poster for this event boy names such as Davey Boy Smith Jr, Molly Holly, Trey Miguel, Carlito, and AEW wrestlers Brian Cage and Sonny Kiss.

Upon learning that Joey Ryan was on the poster for this event as well and his promotion, Bar Wrestling was involved with promoting the event, Tony Khan promptly pulled his wrestlers from the show.

Other wrestlers have also publicly backed out following the reveal that Joey Ryan was responsible in part for this event.

At one time, Joey Ryan was a close part of the Being The Elite YouTube series but all past shows have since been edited to remove him following the allegations.

Following Tony Khan pulling AEW talent and backlash on social media, the event was canceled.
https://twitter.com/PodVanDam/status/13 ... 10177?s=20
“Why would Joey Ryan think he could get away with putting this show on?”

He didnt. He knew this would happen. It’s why he put himself on the poster. Now he can claim that his “detractors” have cost a charity money, so they’re now the evil people.

He can also claim that these people he’s suing are costing him money by ruining this show. It’s mental gymnastics by a sociopath to try to absolve himself of guilt. This was absolutely a calculated move.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

His stars can't work with Joey Ryan but it's cool for them to work with Moose, Rich Swann, Chase Owens, Tomoaki Honma, and Mike Tyson?

Be consistent, Tony. Either you care about sexual violence and domestic abuse or you don't.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

famicommander wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:09 pm His stars can't work with Joey Ryan but it's cool for them to work with Moose, Rich Swann, Chase Owens, Tomoaki Honma, and Mike Tyson?

Be consistent, Tony. Either you care about sexual violence and domestic abuse or you don't.
None of those are business-killers as Meehan has now become. It's no different than Russo being banned supposedly for homophobia, but Bully Ray is welcome, when the truth is the AEW VPs' are just pissed at Russo for the same reason that they're pissed at Cornette.

It should be mentioned that while AEW took action against Guevara and did a terrific job with Havoc, there has been no statement or indication given of any action or investigation (not even through the dirtsheets) about the Speaking Out allegations against Justin Roberts and Darby Allin.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

supersonic wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:29 pm
famicommander wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:09 pm His stars can't work with Joey Ryan but it's cool for them to work with Moose, Rich Swann, Chase Owens, Tomoaki Honma, and Mike Tyson?

None of those are business-killers as Meehan has now become. It's no different than Russo being banned supposedly for homophobia, but Bully Ray is welcome, when the truth is the AEW VPs' are just pissed at Russo for the same reason that they're pissed at Cornette.

It should be mentioned that while AEW took action against Guevara and did a terrific job with Havoc, there has been no statement or indication given of any action or investigation (not even through the dirtsheets) about the Speaking Out allegations against Justin Roberts and Darby Allin.
Doesn't Jack Thwagger have an allegation or two as well?
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:03 pm

Allegations aren’t the same as convictions or admission of guilt. But for someone that lumps Swann in with Mike Tyson, you don’t get that concept.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

famicommander wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:03 pm

We've reached such poor levels of disdain to make fun of a lisp? Easy there keyboard tough guy.
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://twitter.com/thesuperjcast/statu ... 05920?s=21
Per sources, Marty Scurll will not be appearing on NJPW Strong or any other New Japan programs for the foreseeable future.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I had read that they taped stuff for Marty. I guess the backlash made a difference.

Now do something about Owens.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

That's some real weasel shit right there, intentionally leaking Scurll's presence at the tapings and then his involvement, stepping up the information as they gauged reactions. Then they put out a statement that he wasn't working there when it became clear what the reaction would be.

Also odd that they get heat for trying to bring in a guy with allegations but they don't get heat for Owens, who has allegations of a similar nature but in the multiple. And WWE is still holding onto Velveteen Dream, because their fans aren't holding them accountable.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Owens and Clark haven’t publicly admitted to anything, while Scurll made it easy for ROH to fuck him off.

I’m still waiting for Scurll marks to have the same “second chance” and “didn’t do anything illegal” advocacy for fellow ROH alumnus (but far less of a star and worker) Dan Maff.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Regardless if he admitted it or not, I don't get why NJPW is keeping Chase around. Its not like he is a draw, has great matches or is really popular. They just use him to fill out the cards and he gets an occasional midcard title shot here and there. You'd figure that there are dozens of indie guys who could do his job and wouldn't have any baggage attached. I guess he must be good friends with Gedo or something like that.