Marty Scurll Appreciation Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Marty Scurll Appreciation Thread

Post by Montana »

I’ll start by saying, I’m sure it’s not just Marty that deserves the credit obviously. At the same time, a lot of these recent changes in early 2020 seem to be a direct result of the influence of Marty. Let’s dive into some of these changes.

- Youtube content and subscribers… I'm estimating they’ve doubled the amount of new subscribers in 2020 already, compared to 2019. ROH needed to use that tool… ESPECIALLY with the TV/HC set up. Not to mention with attendance down. This is how you can easily reach new fans! Plus they are adding tons of new content. The week to week show is perfect. Keep it up even after the COVID stuff ends. Your basically advertising HC every YT video.

-Honoring the past…. Past vs Present show. That seemed to have more buzz than most all recent ROH shows. Simple, yet a big deal.

- Pure Title was getting some buzz. Re-branding the women’s division.

- Adding all historic content to Honor Club, seems like a no brainer… but now it’s coming.

-Renewing the NJPW relationship, that was seemingly paused. Not that ROH needs NJPW, but I think it helps both companies imo. It makes me more interested in NJPW, as opposed to a stand-alone company. I am sure the same for NJPW fans with ROH. Such great talent on both these rosters… why not continue the relationship. You can add in NWA relationship here too, for what it's worth.

- Bringing in the best talent in the world, signing guys like Slex, Adam Brooks, to start. These are veterans arguably in their prime. Guys like Jay White, Doug Williams, Will OSpeay, and EL P. Adding high flyers like Alex Zayne, Rey Horus, Flamita, and Dragon Lee. Resigning Flip Gordon, Brody King. Strong moves in my opinion.

- Helping get talent more over… Dan Hausen, The Bouncers , Silas and Woods Youtube and live stream shows. Plus several others….. makes complete sense, let the fans invest in the characters, to help them get more over.

I’m excited to see what else Marty has up his sleeve for when ROH returns. What kind of storylines that can help get the talent over and the fans to invest in the product. I feel like the they are in a much better place now than 12 months ago, especially with the direction.
BurningHammer

Re: Marty Scurll Appreciation Thread

Post by BurningHammer »

I think his eye or preference for talent seems very different too Delirious and I think that will contribute to taking ROH to a different level more than anything else. Though I do think focusing on international talent can have it's draw backs especially when boarders are closed, so hopefully there can be a focus on recruiting the best US talent like Deppen and many others just to ease the stress of times likes these.

Personally I would say ROH is just about doing enough, it should have been doing a lot of these YouTube series five or six years ago and even now there is so much that can be done through simple changes or employing the right people to do the right things. I still have no idea why they haven't been.

It will be really interesting to see what (if he really does have this new role) he has planned for the image for the show, we will we get a new colour scheme, graphics, vignettes/openings, the layout of the TV show etc. I was watching some All Japan the other day when they used the split colour matt and I thought what about ROH using a black and red combination to represent the old and the new.

I hope Marty realises what the fans want in general and who he should pushing across social media and the TV, I just have to say the Bouncers aren't it in anyway, although I do think Malonis has potential as a Vader monster type, at least he has a clean look and all his teeth.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Pretty much agree 100%....while i enjoyed the Delirious years... a fresh set of eyes is what ROH needed. Marty seems to be getting more back to the basics in terms of the product, and hopefully modernizes the online presences.

In terms of the bouncers... I have mixed feelings on. You certainly can't fault Marty or the Bouncers with trying to get their characters more over. They are signed, so they will be with the company for a while. While they have been average-good in the ring, they haven't really been involved in major storylines, and mainly used as a low card act. I don't think there isn't any reason they couldn't get more over with the ROH crowd... and further develop their characters. Maybe Milonas turns on BCB down the road. They've got some personality.... i really just think you need the storylines to go with it. I assume they will be used more on the entertainment side...along with guys like Cheeseburger.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Unfortunately nothing about the Bouncers entices me, in fact they are one of the acts in wrestling that repulses me (I don’t use that lightly). I literally have an anger that they are taking a place of so many well deserved talents and all they do is get worse in all departments. They are so many other wrestlers that you can use to draw in that drinking being a guy type of crowd and deliver much better matches. I’ll go as far as too say they are everything that is wrong with ROH and it’s being proven more so with there awful at home with the bouncers. I usually can really stomach quite a bit that wrestling gives me but I can’t have the Bouncers taking up anymore time of younger better men or women. I realise they are probably good people etc but seriously if American wrestling can’t produce better beer drinking wrestlers than the Bouncers the industry is in huge trouble.

It’s one of the reasons why I still think Marty’s role is merely just to keep the peace when I reality Delirious is still the guy making sure ROH is in a sorry state.

and breath.....