ALL-PURPOSE COVID-19 SITUATION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: ALL-PURPOSE COVID-19 SITUATION THREAD

Post by famicommander »

Vince McMahon, Roger Goodell, and Dana White. What's the matter, was Don King busy?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/ ... 0916135937
AEW’s DOUBLE OR NOTHING event will be televised on pay-per-view as scheduled on Saturday, May 23, at 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT). Additional details related to DOUBLE OR NOTHING, which was initially scheduled to be held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, will be revealed in the weeks ahead with features of the event itself ultimately being determined by the latest guidance of national and global health authorities.

The highly anticipated event will be available for purchase via iN DEMAND cable operators, DirecTV, DISH Network and B/R Live. International fans can purchase the event at http://FITE.TV.

The DOUBLE OR NOTHING live event originally scheduled May 23, 2020, has been rescheduled for the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Saturday, May 29, 2021.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/04/1 ... -traction/
**I have reached out to several promotions regarding this classification within Florida and if they are considering running in the state and below are the statements we received at POST Wrestling on Tuesday from Ring of Honor and MLW:

Joe Koff of ROH:
I think it’s great for WWE that they are able to operate how they see fit, or how they may even need to for their business. It doesn’t necessarily change our approach to the pandemic though. The safety of all of our performers, staff, vendors, and fans are the most important thing to us right now and we are continuing to improve our infrastructure and find ways to connect with them during this time. Are we eager to get back? Absolutely. For now, we will be monitoring day by day.
From Court Bauer at MLW:
No. I will not put my athletes, crew and staff along with their families at risk of contracting the virus.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

famicommander wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:12 pm Vince McMahon, Roger Goodell, and Dana White. What's the matter, was Don King busy?
Also mentioned:

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

How this pandemic is being handled couldn't be more embarrassing. Talk about adding gasoline to the fire.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/new ... -170938343
04/15/2020

STAMFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- WWE (NYSE: WWE) today provided an update on measures taken by the Company in response to the current impact of COVID-19 on the organization.

Due to COVID-19 and current government mandated impacts on WWE and the media business generally, the Company went through an extensive evaluation of its operations over the past several weeks. This analysis resulted in the implementation of various short-term cost reductions and cash flow improvement actions including:

Reducing executive and board member compensation;
Decreasing operating expenses;
Cutting talent expenses, third party staffing and consulting;
Deferring spend on the build out of the Company’s new headquarters for at least six months.

Given the uncertainty of the situation, the Company also identified headcount reductions and made the decision to furlough a portion of its workforce effective immediately. The decision to furlough versus permanently reduce headcount reflects the fact that the Company currently believes the furlough will be temporary in nature.

The Company’s reductions of employee compensation and headcount result in an estimated monthly savings of $4 million along with cash flow improvement of $140 million primarily from the deferral in spending on the Company’s new headquarters. Additionally, the Company has substantial financial resources, both available cash and debt capacity, which currently total approximately $0.5 billion, to manage the challenges ahead. Management continues to believe the fundamentals of the Company’s business remain strong and that WWE is well positioned to take full advantage of the changing media landscape and increasing value of live sports rights over the longer term.

The Company will provide further details when it reports its first quarter 2020 results next Thursday, April 23 after the close of the market.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Man, if the WWE is laying off people, I gotta start wondering about my own job situation
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://www.njpw1972.com/74088
On Wednesday April 15, led by Bushiroad Company Director Takaaki Kidani, Hiroshi Tanahashi and NJPW Chairman Naoki Sugabayashi joined representatives from STARDOM, Pro Wrestling NOAH, All Japan Pro-Wrestling, DDT Pro-Wrestling, Diana and Tokyo Joshi Pro-Wrestling at Tokyo’s Lower House Assembly Hall. Together the company representatives were present to consult with the Japanese Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, (and former NJPW wrestler) Hiroshi Hase to discuss how the COVID-19 crisis has affected the professional wrestling industry in Japan.

The representatives met with Hase with the goal of presenting a request for Coronavirus testing kits for wrestlers and staff in the industry, as well as support to cover pay for wrestlers as events have cancelled under Japan’s current state of emergency in reaction to the virus. Said Kidani: ‘This formal proposal has my name signed at the bottom, but the issues covered are ones that affect the entire professional wrestling industry as well as all of sports and live entertainment. I hope that it will be accepted as such.’

Formal proposal

‘The current Novel Coronavirus pandemic has seriously affected the entire professional wrestling industry, including but not limited to Bushiroad Group members New Japan Pro-Wrestling and STARDOM.

Professional wrestling is a contact sport, and even matches without the public present is a dangerous undertaking in the current climate. We can not allow the flame of professional wrestling that has burned brightly in this country for over half a century to be exterminated.

Therefore, we hereby make the following requests:

1.Testing kits

While we understand that top priority for medical supplies must go to those in centers on the front lines of battling this disease, if at all possible, we request that kits may be supplied to test and protect wrestlers and staff within the industry.

2.Compensation for contracted wrestlers

Not only the wrestlers under contract in our group of companies, but those in the industry at large are designated as contractors whose livelihood is therefore threatened by not being able to perform in the current climate. We ask that contracted wrestlers be met with benefits and protections befitting of full time employees. ‘

Mr. Hase received Kidani’s proposal and listened to his explanations with great interest before seeking the opinion of the wrestlers present.

Hiroshi Tanahashi, New Japan Pro-Wrestling

‘While events have been cancelled, our wrestlers have been training diligently and maintaining their focus for an eventual return. Yes, not being able to wrestle does make a lot of us concerned for our livelihoods, but in the world of sports, be that baseball, soccer, or sumo, I feel that professional wrestling should be the anchor. I think it should be acceptable for professional wrestling to be the last sport to return to full activity. I want people to know that when professional wrestling is back, then and only then it means truly that Japanese entertainment has properly recovered.’

Mayu Iwatani, STARDOM

‘On a personal note, on February 19, I was scheduled to have a birthday party event, which was cancelled. On March 8, we streamed a live event with no fans in Korakuen Hall, but since then there have been cancellations after cancellations. We list our occupations as professional wrestlers, but to not have matches is, of course, incredibly frustrating. If we have access to testing kits for wrestlers and staff, it can put minds at ease and help us return to active duty. Rather than sitting and waiting for an unclear point in the future, to be able to take some kind of action like we’re doing today is something I’m extremely grateful for. I hope this can help the entire industry come back strong.’

There followed an explanation from a representative from the government’s sporting body about how various sports have attempted to combat the spread of COVID-19 through the use of temperature checks and hand sanitizers at venues, as well as a fundraising system whereby ticket refunds can be given back to organizations as a tax deductible donation. Finally, Hase himself delivered a statement.

Hiroshi Hase, Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology

‘Thank you to the representatives of the professional wrestling industry for sharing their plight, as well as to for the explanations from official bodies today. There are measures we can enact to assist enterprises, promotions and wrestlers during these times, and I would like to continue to discuss them further. This situation will not last forever. Speedy and accurate testing, effective treatment and medicinal development are all things the whole world is working together on. Professional wrestling has a huge and very important role in raising the flag of victory over COVID-19. I ask all staff members and all wrestlers to keep working to be in the best shape possible to spread joy to the fans with incredible matches very soon.’
List of attendees

Hiroshi Hase (lower house minister, Liberal Democratic Party)

Sports Board, Ministry of Economy Trade and Industry Representative (unnamed)

Takaaki Kidani (Company director, Bushiroad Group)

Hiroshi Tanahashi (New Japan Pro-Wrestling)

Naoki Sugabayashi (Chairman, New Japan Pro-Wrestling)

Suwama (All Japan Pro-Wrestling)

Takenori Fukuda (Representative Director, All Japan Pro-Wrestling)

HARASHIMA (DDT Pro-Wrestling)

Akira Takahashi (Operating Executive, DDT Pro-Wrestling)

Naomichi Marufuji (Executive Vice President, NOAH Global Entertainment)

Masashi Ishiguro (Head of Public Relations, NOAH Global Entertainment)

Mayu Iwatani (STARDOM)

Katsuhiko Harada (Representative Director, Bushiroad Fight)

Yuka Sakazaki (Tokyo Joshi Pro-Wrestling)

Tetsuya Kouda (Representative, Tokyo Joshi Pro-Wrestling)

Kyoko Inoue (World Women’s Wrestling Diana)

Taishi Fuwa (World Women’s Wrestling Diana)
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/los- ... least-year
[Los Angeles] Mayor Eric Garcetti indicated in a conference call that “large gatherings such as concerts and sporting events may not be approved in the city for at least 1 year" according to the email.

Garcetti spokesman Alex Comisar confirmed the mayor’s comments to the Times, saying, “The mayor was generally referencing studies of current and historical data and best practices for safely reopening our economy."

There is no timeline for Los Angeles to resume hosting large scale events. WrestleMania 37 is scheduled to take place on March 28, 2021 at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California. Construction has continued on SoFi Stadium, though work has been altered due to the coronavirus pandemic.

It is unknown at this time if WrestleMania 37 will be affected. Large gatherings are still prohibited across the country and sports are either suspended or running with no live audience. Vince McMahon is set to be part of Donald Trump's advisory board discussing how to resume sporting events in an effort to restart the economy.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://www.f4wonline.com/punch-out/jnp ... ion-308926
Despite all pro sports sitting on the sidelines due to the coronavirus pandemic, pro wrestling and UFC have continued to push forward and now have Florida fully on board as a willing partner.

But how did sports become an essential business and so quickly? Spectrum News 13 of central Florida did an investigative report and on this new Josh Nason's Punch-Out, one of the team members involved -- sports reporter and broadcaster Jon Alba -- joins the show to discuss the story.

We talk about what triggered their look into Governor DeSantis' updated executive order, why it affects more than just WWE, and the timeline in which a financial investment by a super PAC headed up by Linda McMahon may have played a significant role.

I also ask the question: why Florida?

We also chat about Jon's side wrestling podcast project, Living The Gimmick.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/ ... le-669300/
Former World Champion Matt Taven discussed ROH's decision to not hold any events when he joined The Wrestling Inc Daily podcast.

"I honestly think it was a smart decision. When it first happened, even the boys were like, 'Oh wow, that's a drastic decision.' We went out to Vegas and the shows were cancelled and before we knew it, everything was cancelled through June 1. Now you look back on it and see ROH was ahead of the curve," said Taven.

"For me personally, I think it's smart and it doesn't put the crew in any sort of situations with traveling and being around other people. Right now, it feels like you don't know anything, so to err on the side of caution is probably the best."

He then put over the recent ROH TV episodes because they do deep dives into the careers of people like The Briscoes or Jay Lethal. Taven said you never get a chance to slow down and appreciate the career of guys like that, but with the times, now you do.

"Those episodes on TV have been some of the best that I've watched in a long time," revealed Taven.

Many employers have furloughed or reduced the pay of their employees but in pro wrestling, talent are independent contractors rather than employees. Taven was asked how ROH is taking care of talent while they are dark.

"When we were in Vegas, ROH office had a meeting and they said this wouldn't affect our contracts at all. We would be paid as we would normally be and that's something this office has done continuously, especially for me as a guy who has been here for years," stated Taven. "People ask about my loyalty to ROH and I always go back to when I blew my knee out the last time. My contract expired while I was hurt and Mikey [Bennett] goes to TNA and I don't know what I'm gonna do. ROH says, 'Don't worry, we're gonna take care of you.' We re-did the contract and it's something I'll never forget.

"They told all the boys and girls in Vegas afterwards that if you hadn't gotten your flight yet, then don't come out here because the show's gonna be cancelled. Everyone was informed that they would continue to take care of us during this downtime and it's an awesome thing for Ring of Honor to do."
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Sinclair itself may be scummy but ROH is coming out of this looking way less scummy than WWE, Impact, or AEW.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Fightful Boxing Newsletter (4/16/2020): Where Do Things Stand With Boxing? Will WWE Be Involved?
It should also be noted that the WWE Performance Center is in Florida, which has been one of the states hit hardest by COVID-19 with more than 22,000 confirmed cases, and likely more when factoring in those who are dealing with COVID-19, but haven't been tested to confirm that.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://lastwordonprowrestling.com/2020 ... -19-at-39/
If the COVID-19 pandemic has shown anything, it’s that no industry or walk of life is immune from the virus. First reported by Superluchas.com, pro wrestling’s first death related to the virus occurred in Mexico on April 13, when 39-year old indie luchador Black Demon passed away due to complications from the virus.

Real name Roberto Múñoz Carrillo, Black Demon debuted in the Sonaro region on the West Coast of Mexico. Black Demon hailed from nearby Mexicali, Baja California. Black Demon made his debut in 2009, working indie promotions on Mexico’s West Coast.

An 11-year veteran of the Mexican independent scene, he just celebrated the biggest win of his career this past February, winning the third annual Pendragón Rojo Cup held by Promociones Pendragon Rojo, a local indie promotion located in San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora, that has been running shows in the area since 1997. Black Demon was just under two months shy of his 40th birthday, June 7.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

WWE and Hobby Lobby, you've got company. #TrueColors #AnimalAbusers

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronav ... story.html
Several SeaWorld executives promoted after the CEO abruptly resigned were given $6.8 million in stock options as more than 90% of all employees hit two weeks without getting a paycheck because of the coronavirus pandemic.

SeaWorld Entertainment, which is based in Orlando and runs 12 theme parks across the country, announced the increased executive compensation in an SEC filing Tuesday.

Marc Swanson, the company’s previous chief financial officer who is serving as SeaWorld interim CEO, received the biggest stock award worth $1.5 million. Walter Bogumil, the chief strategy officer who was named the interim chief operating officer last week, will get $1.31 million in stock options.

The other four executives’ stock awards range from $1.18 million to $910,000.

The stock options come as nearly all SeaWorld employees are indefinitely furloughed since April 1 while the theme parks are shut down from the coronavirus and government orders calling on people to stay at home. Unlike Disney and Universal, SeaWorld has not paid for most employees’ health benefits during the furloughs.

SeaWorld’s part-time employees, who totaled 11,000 companywide at the end of 2019, according to a recent report, stopped getting paid when the theme parks shut down March 16.

SeaWorld also will suspend its 401(k) match to employees starting May 1, according to a company memo sent April 10. The decision to restart the match will be made after the parks reopen, the company said, adding, “These are difficult economic times.”
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Stamford Advocate looks at MLW's pandemic response - https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/busine ... 202034.php
Montana

Post by Montana »

It kinda bugs me how Vince and the WWE are being painted as villains for laying off a small percentage of their traveling staff - 15%. Clearly if you go from 2 touring brands, so consolidating to using one arena... you don't need as many folks. Why pay them to do nothing??? Because they made a profit in the past?? WWE business is down across the board. These people should have been let go a long time ago. They paint it like, their business isn't down. Will they potentially still be profitable... yes. That doesn't mean you should pay people for nothing. Especially those that aren't essential to the product.

It sucks for the wrestlers who lose their jobs... but Millions of other Americans are in the boat. It's very possible several of these names are brought back once things resume to normal too.

This has came for an awful time for AEW. They seemed like they were trending in the right direction, and now people are starting to tune out. HOPEFULLY they can weather the storm... They may need the touring to resume more than anyone.