2011 - 2016 Recommendations

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
jhtrewin

2011 - 2016 Recommendations

Post by jhtrewin »

2011 - 2016 is a period where I really dropped off ROH,. Now I want to go back and watch things I missed from this era. Was hoping to get recommendations for matches, feuds and shows for this time period that are worth checking out and following along with.
Big Red Machine

Re: 2011 - 2016 Recommendations

Post by Big Red Machine »

Almost the entire first nine months of 2011 are actually pretty great. If you're a long-time fan then SCOH IX is really worth watching, if only just for Briscoe vs. Joe and Jacobs vs. Whitmer (and the aftermath). Manhattan Mayhem V and BITW 2014 both come to mind as awesome shows that you need to see, but I'm sure there are many others.

There are definitely a lot of good shows in that time span. Feel free to peruse my reviews for recommendations:
http://www.thewrestlingrevolution.com/r ... t.php?id=3

If you give me a couple of days I can come up with a more concise list of which particular shows I thought were 8/10 or higher.

One thing that wont show up here, though, is the TV. I thought there was a period from about the end of 2013 until mid 2015 where I thought the TV show was pretty damn great just about every week.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

http://mcxalsreviews.yolasite.com/roh-index.php

BRM is a phenomenal and thorough reviewer - and like him I’d back up the majority of 2011 as pretty excellent. ‘Honor Takes Center Stage’ weekend is one of the best double shots ROH has ever done.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Highly recommend the tv episode (from 8/23/2014 I think?) headlined by ACH vs Jay Lethal. One of the best ROH tv matches ever, tbh.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

As a random single episode recommendation - I love Episode 85 (from I think May of 2013)

Karl Anderson vs Michael Elgin is fun, then the Davey Richards vs Kyle O’Reilly main event is still one of my favourite ROH on SBG matches...
jhtrewin

Post by jhtrewin »

Thanks for those review links and suggestions everyone! Guess I'll be starting at the 2011 shows and working my way forward for now.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Keep in mind that BITW 2011 is the true end of an era. It’s not just historic in booking and for talent departures and reintroduction, it’s not just the last event before Cornette got the book, but it’s also the day before Punk broke down the first barrier for WWE finally viewing the indies as a talent pool for top acts with his sit down pipe bomb in Vegas.
Big Red Machine

alexsmellzzz wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:52 am Highly recommend the tv episode (from 8/23/2014 I think?) headlined by ACH vs Jay Lethal. One of the best ROH tv matches ever, tbh.
That's the date I have for it, too, but dates for Sinclair Era TV might vary from reviewer to reviewer based on when their local TV station aired it.

The fact that I had totally forgotten that such a great match even happened is a perfect example of how great the TV show was on a consistent basis during this time.
Big Red Machine

supersonic wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:22 pm Keep in mind that BITW 2011 is the true end of an era. It’s not just historic in booking and for talent departures and reintroduction, it’s not just the last event before Cornette got the book, but it’s also the day before Punk broke down the first barrier for WWE finally viewing the indies as a talent pool for top acts with his sit down pipe bomb in Vegas.
While this is true, changes don't really start to be felt in the product until about September. If I hadn't known about the booking change, I wouldn't have known that it had occurred simply from watching the July shows, so don't sleep on those. They're pretty great.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I'm a little late, but here you have some recomendations:

2011:
- Eddie's reign was awesome, I'd recomend most of his work that year, specially vs. Davey at BITW, vs. Strong and Death Before Dishonor, vs. Hero in Canada and vs. Daniels at Honor Takes Center Stage
- Briscoes vs. ANX Ladder War for DBD

2012:
- Richards vs. Elgin, Showdown in the Sun
- Steen vs. Elgin. Glory By Honor

2013:
- ACH vs. Elgin, Dragon's Reign
- Ciampa vs. Elgin, BITW
- London vs. Strong, DBD
- Bucks vs. Adrenaline Rush, FB
- Elgin vs. Briscoe vs. Cole, FB

2014:
- Briscoe vs. Cole, Ladder War
- Bucks vs. reDRagon, WOTW
- Styles vs. O'Reilly, DBD
- Styles vs. Cole, ASE
- Champions vs. All Stars
- ACH/Bucks vs. Addiction/Alexander, FB

2015:
- AJ Styles & The Young Bucks vs Cedric Alexander, ACH & Matt Sydal (ROH TV 02.14.15)
- Cole vs. Styles, WOTW
- Strong vs. KUSHIDA, WOTW
- Briscoe vs. Lethal, BITW
- RPG Vice & Okada vs. Styles & Bucks (ROH TV 06.20.15)
- Styles vs. Lethal, FB
- Patron vs. Strong, Winter Warriors
- Joe vs. ACH, Conquest Tour

2016:
- Bucks vs. MCMG vs. Addiction, Ladder War from ASE
- O'Reilly vs. Cole, No Holds Barred from SCOH
- Cole vs. Lethal, Reach For The Sky London
- Lethal vs. Lio, SCOH
- PBK vs. War Machine, Street Fight from SOTF
- Ishii vs. Strong, Honor Rising
- Cabana vs. Lethal, Ringmasters Challenge from Reloaded Tour
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

One of my favorite events that I called is one that flew extremely under the radar. Road to Best in the World 2016 has a really great Addiction vs. War Machine Street Fight for the titles and a Roddy vs. Jay Briscoe main event that is great.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

IanRiccaboni wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:09 am One of my favorite events that I called is one that flew extremely under the radar. Road to Best in the World 2016 has a really great Addiction vs. War Machine Street Fight for the titles and a Roddy vs. Jay Briscoe main event that is great.
Believe this one was in Columbus! And Ian hasn’t even mentioned that the same show has an awesome Adam Cole vs Lio Rush match, plus Kamaitachi (Hiromu Takahashi) vs Dalton Castle, and Lethal/Hangman which were both pretty great too.

EDIT Ian I can’t remember (and am literally being too lazy to check my own review!) if this was one of the shows you called with Veda Scott from that tour, but I thought you guys did a great job as a duo!
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

McXal wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:50 am
IanRiccaboni wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:09 am One of my favorite events that I called is one that flew extremely under the radar. Road to Best in the World 2016 has a really great Addiction vs. War Machine Street Fight for the titles and a Roddy vs. Jay Briscoe main event that is great.
Believe this one was in Columbus! And Ian hasn’t even mentioned that the same show has an awesome Adam Cole vs Lio Rush match, plus Kamaitachi (Hiromu Takahashi) vs Dalton Castle, and Lethal/Hangman which were both pretty great too.

EDIT Ian I can’t remember (and am literally being too lazy to check my own review!) if this was one of the shows you called with Veda Scott from that tour, but I thought you guys did a great job as a duo!
Ah, thank you! Story that some may know but many do not: Veda and I's fathers played guitar together for many years in the Lehigh Valley, sometimes in bands and sometimes just jamming together. By the time both our dads had us, they had kind of, sort of lost touch with one another. But Veda and I have traveled together, most notably driving home together with Cheeseburger when our flights were canceled following Winter Warriors: Duluth and generally had a pretty good chemistry at the booth. I would like to call more matches with her in the future!

It was Columbus in the fairgrounds and also has a great BJ Whitmer promo where he has the crowd so incensed that he can't even get a word out!

This card was absolutely stacked and if you have HonorClub it is up there with Raising the Bar: Milwaukee in terms of combination of most fun + most overlooked.

Raising the Bar: Milwaukee 2014 - https://www.rohwrestling.com/roh-tour/0 ... lwaukee-wi
Road to BITW 2016: Columbus - https://www.rohwrestling.com/roh-tour/0 ... olumbus-oh
Big Red Machine

I will also back up the recommendation of that show. "Under the radar" is definitely a fitting description for a show that good which doesn't get talked about.