Davey Richards

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
indyfan

Davey Richards

Post by indyfan »

There was a time i loved Daveys style. 2006 -2008 i enjoyed lts of his matches. Then i started seeing the holes in his abilities.

im rewatching ROH 2010 and i m at Salvation and honestly i cant stand him. His promos are horrible. i remember at the time, he was one of my favourites. looking back, he seems so forced and hes not that a great of a wrestler. I dont care much for Edwards either in this time frame.

Daveys no selling is really bad. i hate the forced fighting spirit shit that followed. I think hes the most over rated wrestler of all time. I dont want him back at the past vs present show either

Anyone else want to chime in? if you are a fan...how do you look past a guy taking a superplex and getting right back up?
maxx_powerz

Re: Davey Richards

Post by maxx_powerz »

Eh. I mean, lots of matches have absurd no selling and a million head drops and a dozen near falls etc, it's hardly just Davey. It's like watching a Bucks match for me, you are almost guaranteed to roll your eyes at some point, but it's hard for me to not appreciate the pace and execution. Anything where he goes over thirty minutes tends to lose me, but I still like a lot of his stuff.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

maxx_powerz wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:30 am Eh. I mean, lots of matches have absurd no selling and a million head drops and a dozen near falls etc, it's hardly just Davey. It's like watching a Bucks match for me, you are almost guaranteed to roll your eyes at some point, but it's hard for me to not appreciate the pace and execution. Anything where he goes over thirty minutes tends to lose me, but I still like a lot of his stuff.

I loved Davey vs Generico at the 8th annyversary show. i thought this was a great match. and yeah his matches have to be under 25 minutes for me. But after watching anything with him and Eddie drove me nuts as i progressed through 2010. That plus his promos and speeches after his matches was even worse for me.

Then theres his stupid "now you re a champion after he lost to Tyler at DBD 8 . Its for sure the way he was booked through 2010 and into the later years thats making it worse for me since i can appreciate your points about guys like the bucks doing the same thibg. but im a high flyer fan( which makes me biased) way more than a i hit you hard...you hit me hard back.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Unfortunately the first thing I think of when I think of Davey Richards is when Joe nearly killed him with that kick in the back of his head. Brutal shot.
Montana

Post by Montana »

In my opinion, Davey Richards is probably one of the more underrated wrestlers in the companies history. I agree about the lack of selling and OK promo skills... Can't argue that, but he's had a TON of positive contributions to the company.

- Richards vs. Elgin, arguably one of the greatest matches in ROH history.
- American Wolves , Def. Top 5 tag team in ROH history, if not Top 3. (wrestling observer tag team of the year 2009)
- Richards vs. Omega one of my favorite ROH matches of all time
- RIchards World title reign (almost 1 year)
- Wrestling Observer - Most Outstanding Wrestler - 2011
- 3x ROH tag champs
- Work horse , The guy always gave 110% in the ring.

He's never near the top of the greatest ROH wrestlers list... yet he's matches are up there with the best in the company history, for singles and tag.

Just my two cents.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

i never understood the love between Elgin and Davey. it was just more of the same issues that turned fans off of ROH.

I ll never except the wolves being considered a best team in history. There were so many better teams

id take Aries and Strong, KOW, Briscoes, Second City Saints, Red Dragon, Young Bucks, War Machine, MCMG, Steen and Generico ,Tyler Black and Jacobs over the wolves any day. They dont even hit my top 10.

Melzters weird.... He panders to those he loves and only them. Now he loves the bucks so they get all the accolades. They are in AEW...so ROH is on the back burner.

i do agree Davey gave it his all.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I'd take the Wolves over the SCS (not enough great matches), MCMG (best stuff was in other promotions), War Machine (ditto), AotF (not enough great matches). Briscoes, redDRagon and Bucks are way ahead of them. Second tier with Aries / Strong, KOW and Steen / Generico seems fair to me. Wolves had great matches with Steen / Generico, KOW and redDRagon plus the draw with Danielson & Black. They never clicked that well with the Briscoes or Bucks but there's a second tier of decent stuff there along with Romero & Koslov. Plus they might be the only team besides KOW to have a decent match with Haas & Benjamin. If you just rate teams on their talent and you don't like Davey or Eddie, then it is what it is. But their actual resume as a team in ROH is pretty strong.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Personally... just on the topic of tag teams... here's how i'd rank them.

1) Briscoes - Think we all agree here.

2) Young Bucks - Kind of a no brainer, i think.

3) American Wolves - This is just off the top of my head, but i feel like they were a legit main event tag team, and carried many shows.

4) RedDragon - To me, they are right up there with the Wolves... but they didn't feel like a main attraction, tag team that could draw. I could see people putting the Wolves/Reddragon in the same tier.

5) Steen/Generico - Lots of great matches and moments, just didn't stay as a tag team that long.

6) Kings of Wrestling - Great moments, and matches, but again never fully realized their highest potential.

MCMG, War Machine, Future Shock , Then probably AOTF/Strong/Aries/ SCS / So Cal Uncensored/ etc.

Just looking back, quite a legacy to the tag division over the past 18 years.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The Wolves, the MCMG, and Kaz and Daniels all have a legacy that is split between TNA and ROH.

I can't think of any of them without thinking of both promotions.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Montana wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:07 pm Personally... just on the topic of tag teams... here's how i'd rank them.

1) Briscoes - Think we all agree here.

2) Young Bucks - Kind of a no brainer, i think.

3) American Wolves - This is just off the top of my head, but i feel like they were a legit main event tag team, and carried many shows.

4) RedDragon - To me, they are right up there with the Wolves... but they didn't feel like a main attraction, tag team that could draw. I could see people putting the Wolves/Reddragon in the same tier.

5) Steen/Generico - Lots of great matches and moments, just didn't stay as a tag team that long.

6) Kings of Wrestling - Great moments, and matches, but again never fully realized their highest potential.

MCMG, War Machine, Future Shock , Then probably AOTF/Strong/Aries/ SCS / So Cal Uncensored/ etc.

Just looking back, quite a legacy to the tag division over the past 18 years.
Aries and Strong have had way better matches than the Wolves.

id rank

Briscoes
Aries and Strong
Red Dragon
Young Bucks
Steen and Generico
KOW
MCMG
SCS
AOF
Warmachine
Jacobs and Witmer

somewhere near the bottom...the Wolves

The Wolves best match was in TNA.

I just find Edwards and Davey the pinnacle of bland.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Ah, the glory days of promising mid carders in Richards and Edwards getting exposed for their lack of world champion charisma, a standard set by the likes of Joe, Punk, Danielson, McGuinness, and even Black to a lesser degree. They had the magic of a compelling chase, but not as being the compelling alphas of the company.

Shudder to imagine ROH 2010-13 without Black, Steen, Generico, Cole, and KOW around during those years to bring the alpha and/or top guy swagger.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Even though I haven't seen in a while the main event with Eddy felt like such a big complete match at the time, I thought the tone they set for the match and during it was fantastic and I think that was probably Davey's pinacle as a singles wrestler. Then after he didn't really feel the same or even have a career that resembled what it should have, In the end I think him and Edwards (even if I loved Eddy's reign simply from it's match quality) were best as a tag team, and if you put them in this current crop they would probably be close to the top.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

BurningHammer wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:35 am Even though I haven't seen in a while the main event with Eddy felt like such a big complete match at the time, I thought the tone they set for the match and during it was fantastic and I think that was probably Davey's pinacle as a singles wrestler. Then after he didn't really feel the same or even have a career that resembled what it should have, In the end I think him and Edwards (even if I loved Eddy's reign simply from it's match quality) were best as a tag team, and if you put them in this current crop they would probably be close to the top.
All of this.
Montana

Post by Montana »

supersonic wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:55 am Ah, the glory days of promising mid carders in Richards and Edwards getting exposed for their lack of world champion charisma, a standard set by the likes of Joe, Punk, Danielson, McGuinness, and even Black to a lesser degree. They had the magic of a compelling chase, but not as being the compelling alphas of the company.

Shudder to imagine ROH 2010-13 without Black, Steen, Generico, Cole, and KOW around during those years to bring the alpha and/or top guy swagger.
So that would leave like, Christopher Daniels, Colt Cabana, Jay Lethal, Tomasso Ciampa , Steve Corino, Young Bucks, Bobby Fish, Mike Bennett.... Seems decent.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Montana wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:50 pm
supersonic wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:55 am Ah, the glory days of promising mid carders in Richards and Edwards getting exposed for their lack of world champion charisma, a standard set by the likes of Joe, Punk, Danielson, McGuinness, and even Black to a lesser degree. They had the magic of a compelling chase, but not as being the compelling alphas of the company.

So that would leave like, Christopher Daniels, Colt Cabana, Jay Lethal, Tomasso Ciampa , Steve Corino, Young Bucks, Bobby Fish, Mike Bennett.... Seems decent.
These were all contributing factors to rohising its appeal once Cornette got the book. Corino and Daniels have never been strong enough on their own to carry a critically acclaimed period, and the Bucks and Ciampa were years away from that distinction, which they’ve since proven either in ROH or NXT/AEW.