BJ Whitmer returning to ROH!

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
KinjiMuto

BJ Whitmer returning to ROH!

Post by KinjiMuto »

Last week ROH officials announced that a tag match had been signed for “Unity” on 4/28 pitting Kevin Steen & Jimmy Jacobs against El Generico and a partner yet to be named. With that came the ultimatum that Generico had a week to inform ROH as to who his partner would be or forfeit the fight. Well last night Generico broke his silence and once more it was with only a handful of words, this time it was only a name…

“BJ Whitmer!”

Whitmer, a former multi-time ROH World Tag Team Champion, returned to the fold at “Rise & Prove” to face off against then-TV Champion Jay Lethal in a Proving Ground match. Well he didn’t earn a shot at the TV Title, Whitmer proved to be in the best condition of his life and demonstrated to ROH officials that he is once again in a position to get back in the running alongside the best professional wrestlers in the world here in ROH.

As the choice for his partner, Generico would be hard-pressed to find a better ally than BJ, but not just because of his physical prowess and experience as a tag team champion. The true asset in having Whitmer as a partner here is in large part due to his deep, violent, personal history with “The Zombie Princess” Jimmy Jacobs…

“BJ, BJ, BJ” said Jimmy Jacobs to ROHWrestling.com, “Welcome home, not just to Ring of Honor, but to me as well. I have to say, Generico made an excellent choice reaching out to you for a partner BJ. Aside from Tyler, there’s no one out there who knows me better, at least not as a wrestler. But it’s been a long time since we’ve spilt blood together, since we’ve been locked inside a steel cage against one another, and both of us have experienced our own personal descents into hell. I’ve only just come through mine in the last few weeks thank to Kevin, as much as I tried to convince myself otherwise, and I know you think you’ve beaten your demons. I think this meeting of old friends we’re about to have in Chicago is going to show you otherwise BJ…”

For the new Ring of Honor fans, a brief history lesson; Whitmer & Jacobs first united as a team in April 2005 at “Best of the American Super Juniors” when they defeated Samoa Joe & Jay Lethal to capture the vacant ROH World Tag Titles. Over the course of nearly 6 months they would have two separate reigns that were ended by first The Carnage Crew and the second by Tony Mamaluke & Sal Rinauro. A wedge was driven between the two men as a result of Jacobs’ fascination/obsession with Lacey and it erupted into a year long war that pulled in Colt Cabana, Daizee Haze, and others, put BJ on the shelf for an extended time with a serious leg injury, and culminated in a very violent cage match at “Supercard of Honor II” where Jimmy defeated BJ. It was a bloody rivalry that changed both men, putting Jacobs on the path to The Age of The Fall and Whitmer on the road to the Hangmen 3, and now it is renewed!

It’s Whitmer & Generico vs. Steen & Jacobs in a Tag Team Grudge Match! It takes place at the Frontier Fieldhouse in Chicago Ridge, IL on April 28th and it’s all part of our “Unity” event! Tickets are available for this huge ROH event right here!

But that’s not where it ends…

No, because in Dayton the following afternoon, when ROH debuts at The Hara Arena, Whitmer will then step into the ring to face “Wrestling’s Worst Nightmare” Kevin Steen one-on-one for the very first time in ROH! They have battled in multi-man affairs in the past but never before have they locked horns in singles competition! These men are two of ROH’s biggest bruisers and you can bet they will tear into one another once that bell rings. How will the events of Chicago Ridge color this meeting though? That is what we will have to wait and see! Steen vs. Whitmer goes down in Dayton on 4/29 and tickets for that event are available now!
Marketh.

Re: BJ Whitmer returning to ROH!

Post by Marketh. »

Looking forward to it.

As long as we're talking about guys returning, I really wish when Jimmy Rave returned at Final Battle it was to start a feud with The Embassy. The original Crown Jewel, who knows all their tricks, taking on his own former faction by himself.
Last Real Man Hype
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

More than thrilled to see Whitmer get another chance. This has all the potential to be just as good as Corino & Steen vs. Cabana & Generico in Chicago from two years ago.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Jacobs and BJ in the ring together again, can't wait!
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I watched their match from IWA-MS last year and they still awesome.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

When this was announced I was hoping it would be Whitmer. There are probably more 'exciting' guys out there for a mystery opponent, but I loved the potential for it from a storyline perspective

Can't wait to see BJ and Jimmy in an ROH ring together again
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Awesome choice! Whitmer was in superb shape the last time he compted in an ROH ring, I sure hope he will be a permanent member of the roster
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Mr. Small Package

Post by Mr. Small Package »

A good choice that brings another dimension to the tag-team match.
carlcantone

Post by carlcantone »

Looking forward this to, but has to be "Street Fight"
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

Talented guy and all around good person who has worked his ass off to get his life together. I hope they do some vignettes explaining all he's overcome to make his return to ROH. It's really an amazing story of triumph and the will to grow up.
Admin note: User permanently banned.
Tree

Post by Tree »

if i didn't have roller derby commitments that night, i would strongly consider flying in for this show. i've long said Whitmer is one of the most underrated wrestlers in the history of ROH, and when he's in the ring with Jacobs, both men are money.
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

Very happy he is back, seconded on Rave getting a fulll time spot also
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

Whitmer should be wrestling regularly for ROH. Does he not want to?
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

He is perfect for feud with young guys and newcomers and put them over.
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

Good to see Hillbilly Jesus back - he's more than earned a place back on the roster from what I hear (I'm way, waaay behind on shows ATM so I'm going by reviews of his PG match with Lethal), and he adds an extra dynamic to the feud.
cviens

Post by cviens »

Whitmer was the right choice here.