18th Anniversary Official Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: 18th Anniversary Official Thread

Post by famicommander »

Good spot for a Sumie match. The original gangster of the women's division definitely has to wrestle on this card.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Interesting to see how that match goes, if connects I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of singles matches out of that one. Joe Hendry vs Jay could be really good I think.

Card is shaping up nicely, couple more big single matches and maybe a three man match and it will be a very good card.
jhtrewin

Post by jhtrewin »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:39 am
Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:38 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:11 pm

Totally agree and I can get behind that especially after what’s previously gone on.
So why can't they put on the best matches possible while also building to those matches in a logical and intelligent manner?
That's obviously the next challenge and will be the ultimate litmus test for Marty as a booker but I think it's more about building trust or a sense of understanding of what people want in terms of matches etc. I don't think we can underestimate the little changes that are taking place. Look at how we are actually getting match announcement's early, I can't remember the last time this was happening, sometimes we wouldn't know a lot of a card until say a 2 weeks out now we are getting it close to two/three months. Hopefully when stories start to build over the course of the end of the year these announcements mean more.
The next test is definitely building in those storylines, first comes those exciting matches to bring back the trust as you said.

It is great to see these little things coming through, announcing these matches early for me is really helping to build up excitment.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

jhtrewin wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:44 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:39 am
Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:38 pm

So why can't they put on the best matches possible while also building to those matches in a logical and intelligent manner?
That's obviously the next challenge and will be the ultimate litmus test for Marty as a booker but I think it's more about building trust or a sense of understanding of what people want in terms of matches etc. I don't think we can underestimate the little changes that are taking place. Look at how we are actually getting match announcement's early, I can't remember the last time this was happening, sometimes we wouldn't know a lot of a card until say a 2 weeks out now we are getting it close to two/three months. Hopefully when stories start to build over the course of the end of the year these announcements mean more.
The next test is definitely building in those storylines, first comes those exciting matches to bring back the trust as you said.

It is great to see these little things coming through, announcing these matches early for me is really helping to build up excitment.
Yeah it's those little things that should have been the norm for a long while without having it be a shock or new thing to take notice of. Thankfully they are starting to happen more and more and hopefully it stays that way.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Shane Taylor already has a World title match whenever he wants.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

A good way to use those 4 guys, imo.

Kenny HAS to be used at every Vegas show :roll: but I'm glad this is atleast an interesting multi-man.

I swear, ROH is seriously great right now with all these announcements.

People wanting more storylines should consider the constant state of flux in which a lot of these wrestlers/independent contractors exist. Hard to build up programs that people care about when the only guys that are guaranteed to be here in a couple years are the less interesting ones (Taven, Shane Taylor, Cheeseburger, etc).

BIG matches and better cards are more important to ROH's bottom line. People will watch ROH for the good matches.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I would guess the 4 way is too set up future connections for feuds latter on. Also I hope Maff or Bateman win just as a slight change of pace. PCO loosing the title before Maff uses his shot would be my hope, the two previous matches have been enough. Plus Maff against smaller guys always is better use of him.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

kovs27 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:31 am Shane Taylor already has a World title match whenever he wants.
Was that confirmed? Maybe this is their way of giving him that shot? You know, come and take it if you want it so bad?
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Lynx wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:36 pm
kovs27 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:31 am Shane Taylor already has a World title match whenever he wants.
Was that confirmed? Maybe this is their way of giving him that shot? You know, come and take it if you want it so bad?
That's what he said in Baltimore. It was part of his demands.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

monster mafia wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:20 am Image
WOW! It really makes me sad to see that it has been announced as a "special appearance" and not for in-ring competition.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I’ll predict that it’s a part-time return for him.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Credit: Marty Scurll's lady friend for the assist in this, which is a weird twist considering where she works. Do your research on that, not my business to out that relationship.
Captain Podcast
jhtrewin

Post by jhtrewin »

AlexROH wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:08 am
WOW! It really makes me sad to see that it has been announced as a "special appearance" and not for in-ring competition.
That was my first thought too.

Going to cross my fingers though and hope we do see him compete.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'll start by saying i'm a big fan of the recent changes so far and direction of ROH for 2020.

One minor complaint so far, and something they'll need to focus more on is building PPV cards.

So far this is what we have:
WOrld Title
(Mix of 2 , PCO, Rush, Haskins)

TV ttile
Bandido vs. Dragon Lee

Tag Title
Lethal/Gresham vs. Marty / Flip

Brooks vs Slex

Briscoes vs. Castle/Hendry

King vs. Maff vs. Bateman vs. Taylor

Savoy vs Martina

Great matches... but almost none of these many any build up.. other than the World Title. I could say Brooks vs. Slex has the most build up, and it wasn't even in ROH. The whole point of the TV show, should be to build to these PPVs. I feel like the TV show does a pretty good job at building characters... but they need to continue feuds. To be fair, Taven vs. Righteous will likely happen down the road... but the build up and hype help sell PPVs. I'm not sure more successful new exciting great matches sell PPVs.

One a positive note... at least ROH isn't waiting until the last minute to announce matches.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I have to say that I think they've done a great job with the Past vs. Present card. Very few (if any) names that made be go "uch! Really? That guy in 2020?" and a lot of match-ups that made me nod my head and say "yeah, that makes sense. That could work."