If one went into a coma in 2007 and woke up today...

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!

READ THE PREMISE

ROH
7%
AEW
13%
NJPW
20%
NXT
47%
Raw/SmackDown
No votes
MLW
7%
TNA/Impact
No votes
Progress
No votes
Dragon Gate
No votes
OTHER - PLEASE SPECIFY
7%

Total votes: 15

supersonic

If one went into a coma in 2007 and woke up today...

Post by supersonic »

In this hypothetical scenario, a die-hard ROHbot will have gone into a coma a dozen years ago, and good news arrives. This person is coming out of his coma as the calendar goes into the 2020s and hasn't lost his wrestling fandom at all.

But what he wants is quite simple, while also quite specific. He wants to watch only ONE type of program that most closely resembles mid-2000s ROH. He doesn't just want great matches. He doesn't just want great rivalries. He doesn't want just all-star match lineups. He also wants the deep storyline connective tissue of that period from ROH. He wants truly deep promos that go outside the box with a high quantity of logical, exciting moving parts. He wants that feeling from the office and locker room that there is a tremendous rapport between them and the fans.

He wants to watch a wrestling program/product that is simply put, on the ground floor of something truly special.

So if he's watching one of the listed options to get that feeling back from the "glory days" of ROH, which would it be?
Lynx

Re: If one went into a coma in 2007 and woke up today...

Post by Lynx »

I'd think he probably would watch either NXT or NJPW, but I voted for NJPW since I think that such person would probably prefer non-WWE option.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I think this person would be disappointed to find that product doesn't exist in todays market. Then he would watch WWE because that's where all those stars are now lol.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I'd just tell them to watch the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe and Arrowverse instead.

Because in 2007 all we really had were the X-Men films and Nolan's Cookie Monster Batman Begins.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

I think the answer is AEW but I also think it could be NJPW because of the language barrier with most top stars I think that's the hold up. Plus getting in on the ground floor is important.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

It's also very striking nobody has chosen ROH.
Captain Podcast
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Honestly feel as if NXT and MLW fit that criteria the closest. While New Japan has the deep storytelling and arguably the best wrestling, as AnHonorableMention said there may be the language barrier with the top stars though that is being cancelled out more and more with English commentary team's Chris Charlton translating every promo and doing a very good job of conveying the emotion of what was said. NXT would be the best overall product for them to get into I'd say but MLW has that independent presentation. Another thing to remember though is ROH wasn't a TV company in 2007 so it may not be fair to compare an episodic wrestling product to the 2007 ROH formula which actually may be closer to NJPW or PROGRESS of those listed.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Personally i really can't pick one, because it's a combination of like 4 companies in my opinion.

NXT - Has the in ring workrate
AEW - Has the ROH Spirit
MLW - Has the grit , attitude
ROH - Still has the values, and mentality.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:20 pm It's also very striking nobody has chosen ROH.
Not really....The majority of the wrestlers that he watched before the coma are not in ROH anymore
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:28 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:20 pm It's also very striking nobody has chosen ROH.
Not really....The majority of the wrestlers that he watched before the coma are not in ROH anymore
That's true, but even in WWE there's connective tissue to history. ROH's thought of we'll create our own history post purchase is troublesome.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Lethal, Briscoes, Coleman, Shelley, Titus, Maff, Delirious, Sakai, and King are still around or back from 2007 and prior. That's all I can think of as far as people who wrestle.
AnHonorableMention

famicommander wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:35 pm Lethal, Briscoes, Coleman, Shelley, Titus, Maff, Delirious, Sakai, and King are still around or back from 2007 and prior. That's all I can think of as far as people who wrestle.
Yep, and not anything except for the Briscoes is acknowledged prior to 2012. When you consider the legacy ROH built and then just let it go to waste. Although I'm told everything is being digitized now so maybe we'll see more of what made ROH actually mean something.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Ian mentioned Lethal's Pure Title reign, the ANE Tag Title reign, and Maff's Tag Title reign on the last show. But you're right that they minimize that history too much.

I still really wish Coleman would go back to being a full time wrestler while he's still in amazing shape. He's a great commentator but he's still a better wrestler. Get Brutal Bob on color.
AnHonorableMention

famicommander wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:04 pm Ian mentioned Lethal's Pure Title reign, the ANE Tag Title reign, and Maff's Tag Title reign on the last show. But you're right that they minimize that history too much.

I still really wish Coleman would go back to being a full time wrestler while he's still in amazing shape. He's a great commentator but he's still a better wrestler. Get Brutal Bob on color.
I don't know for sure but I believe Bob works for Impact now. Bubba would be great in the Coleman role as a heel. One firm belief I have is you need a heel and face commentary team. Allows more dynamic to be explored on the broadcast.
Captain Podcast
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I think someone who reemerged from 2007's ROH fandom would be horrified that there are no longer live reports about what color of tie Bobby Cruise is wearing to the show.

A few years ago, I might have drew out that the Bullet Club/Elite appearances and content were probably the closest successor to what the old ROH fandom was looking for. Now, I think I would still recommend NJPW because really high-peaking wrestling and good crowds was what kept people staying, even though scrutinizing good/bad booking was how most people spent their attention at the time.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

famicommander wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:04 pm Ian mentioned Lethal's Pure Title reign, the ANE Tag Title reign, and Maff's Tag Title reign on the last show. But you're right that they minimize that history too much.

Agree with this. I'd like to see Caprice in the ring and Brutal Bob on commentary if at all possible.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

famicommander wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:35 pm Lethal, Briscoes, Coleman, Shelley, Titus, Maff, Delirious, Sakai, and King are still around or back from 2007 and prior. That's all I can think of as far as people who wrestle.
Delirious hardly wrestles, Maff just came back, Rhett was a jobber, Lethal wasnt there in 2007.
King wasnt there before 2008. Who cares about Sakai. i dont rember ever seeing Coleman before 2010.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

NJPW , not even close . . The guy would love NJPW .
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Memphis Mark wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:47 am NJPW , not even close . . The guy would love NJPW .
even with their terrible tag division?

i doubt it
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Memphis Mark wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:47 am NJPW , not even close . . The guy would love NJPW .
What’s their equivalent to ROH vs. CZW, Jacobs vs. Whitmer, Embassy vs. Generation Next, etc?