Your ROH In 2020

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Your ROH In 2020

Post by famicommander »

Reaper G wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:26 pm
famicommander wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:56 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:54 am

If you think historical stuff is more important than someone who tried to molest a child and has had relations with under 18 people, as well as a racist piece of garbage then you have no moral compass.
Don't forget that Cornette has a long history of physically assaulting employees, fans, and various other people to the point where he's banned from the entire country of Canada.

Being a racist is bad enough but people tend to let Corny off the hook for even worse stuff, like attacking people in parking lots with baseball bats or hitting employees.
Cornette the racist Obama supporter. Gotcha.

I agree that he's a mental case, his own worst enemy, and a poor representative for old school wrestling, but in his latest controversy, he just told a joke.
He told a racist joke in a completely inappropriate situation and he has a long, established history of saying racist/transphobic/misogynistic things, as well as physically attacking people. Stop defending him. He's trash.

You don't have to disavow everything he's ever done to recognize what he is. He's a racist. It doesn't change the fact that he was a fantastic manager and commentator, or that he knows as much wrestling history as anybody walking the earth.
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

famicommander wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:58 pm
famicommander wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:56 am

Don't forget that Cornette has a long history of physically assaulting employees, fans, and various other people to the point where he's banned from the entire country of Canada.

Being a racist is bad enough but people tend to let Corny off the hook for even worse stuff, like attacking people in parking lots with baseball bats or hitting employees.

I agree that he's a mental case, his own worst enemy, and a poor representative for old school wrestling, but in his latest controversy, he just told a joke.
He told a racist joke in a completely inappropriate situation and he has a long, established history of saying racist/transphobic/misogynistic things, as well as physically attacking people. Stop defending him. He's trash.

You don't have to disavow everything he's ever done to recognize what he is. He's a racist. It doesn't change the fact that he was a fantastic manager and commentator, or that he knows as much wrestling history as anybody walking the earth.
If there's anything that can get me to support someone I wouldn't normally support, it's the "cancel culture." Now excuse me while I go listen to some old Howard Stern.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Reaper G wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:47 pm
famicommander wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:58 pm

If there's anything that can get me to support someone I wouldn't normally support, it's the "cancel culture." Now excuse me while I go listen to some old Howard Stern.
Howard Stern is a shock jock. It's his job to say shocking things to get people to react on his radio program intended for adult audiences.

Cornette, on the other hand, was commentating a family-friendly wrestling program.

Imagine if a commentator made that same joke in a boxing or MMA match, or an NBA or NFL game.

Now imagine that same commentator has a history of dropping N-bombs on his podcast, and a history of violently attacking anybody who disagrees with him.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

"The President of Sinclair is so happy with the product that he has because they could put the program on every syndicate stations and also sell it all across the world to Canada, United Kingdom, and South Africa. Even if the attendance went down a little bit, the company is still doing very well and is healthy. They have a lot of people subscribing on HonorClub, so they are making money on that, and they are making money on the merchandise.

"Marty Scurll spoke up and said one time he had five stitches in his mouth and it cost $5,000 since he's from the UK. The company paid for everything. They had me go to the hospital one when I landed on the cement floor and split my head open. They had me go through a CAT Scan to make sure my head was okay and it didn't cost me a thing. The office takes care of the boys, they take care of me, they pay for the bills. They are a first class organization. As far as treating their talent professionally and humanly, only WWE can compare.

"Even WWE never treated me as good as ROH has treated me. We all stay in first-class hotels, they ask you which airline you prefer to fly with. They are so professional, it's unbelievable. [ROH COO] Joe Koff comes up to you and shakes your hand and asks you how everything is going. They have a lot of heart, and I could only see this company growing and getting better. We have been hurt by losing a lot of talents in a short span of time. We are rebuilding and some new things are coming up for 2020."

In regards to WWE and AEW, PCO was asked about ROH being more competitive with the two companies, and he's all for it.

"As wrestlers, you want to compete with the big guys," PCO responded. "We are launching a plan to be more competitive with All Elite Wrestling and WWE. We want to make our show better and be part of the picture with the big guys."
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Since when is ROH on TV in South Africa?

I know about
Canada - Fight Network
UK and Ireland - Fight Network UK
India - Dsport
Portugal - SportTV
Italy - Dahlia TV

If they are on TV there, it's about time. No excuse for not being on in Australia or New Zealand, either. If TV networks in countries that don't even have English as a first or second language are airing ROH, at the very least all the English speaking world should have it.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

supersonic wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:13 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Easily the dumbest thing you've ever posted and you have a long history of trolling, nerdy, wasted reads.
Complete history > moral convenience.

If you think historical stuff is more important than someone who tried to molest a child and has had relations with under 18 people, as well as a racist piece of garbage then you have no moral compass.
Tell that last part to your friend Larry.

https://twitter.com/ceehawk/status/1216 ... 46308?s=21
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

supersonic wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:37 pm
supersonic wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:13 am

Complete history > moral convenience.

Conversation already took place.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

"My" ROH certainly doesn't involve NWA (white) Powerrr
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:32 pm
supersonic wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:37 pm

Conversation already took place.
I'm glad it did and I hope he learns from it. Lord knows I've said far more than my fair share of regrettable shit.
ertooso

Post by ertooso »

The tag division is the most important part of the company they've ruined. Briscoes, Lethal/Gresham, PCO/King, SOS, I'd like to see the additions made here somehow reunite the All Nights.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

A definite late slip, but for those who questioned the idea of including Cornette on documentaries to provide historical perspective for eras and events he was a part of, suggesting that due to his shitty moral character that there'd be a huge backlash or whatever.

https://www.thewrap.com/owen-hart-dark- ... history-1/
Owen Hart’s “Dark Side of the Ring” episode pinned down 626,000 total viewers, counting three days of DVR viewing, with 390,000 of that total coming from the key adults 18-49 demographic. Both are new ratings records for a Vice TV telecast, according to Nielsen.
Cornette was all over this episode, showcasing another side of him that he rarely lets others see for whatever reason. But perhaps there's an argument that the subject matter alone is what drew, that finally hearing from Owen Hart's immediately family was the marquee attraction. That would be a fallacious argument to make, because the responses to my suggestion of including Cornette on ROH historical pieces were that his shitty moral character would be pushed back on.

The pushback has proven to be incorrect, as not only was Cornette's inclusion NOT a hindrance for the Owen Hart episode of Dark Side of the Ring despite his racism (both recently and retrospectively), but it did nothing to hurt the ratings or interest whatsoever as he was included throughout numerous episodes for the series.
By this point in the story, you’ve probably figured out that “Dark Side” is Vice’s most successful series in its relatively young history, and that Season 2 has outperformed Season 1.

Vice TV dates back to Aug. 29, 2016.

The Season 2 finale’s overall audience tally topped the penultimate Season 2 episode by +15% in the demo and +12% in total viewers, which includes anyone 2-years-old and older.

Across the entire season, the pro-wrestling show’s second run rose +73% in the demo and +52% overall from its Season 1 averages.
I can easily foresee responses that I'm downplaying Cornette's racist antics during a time of peak racial tensions. To anyone who wants to respond to that, please try some advanced reading comprehension.

The bottom line is that viewers have no issue with Cornette's historical account being included. Therefore including him in the future for hypothetical ROH pieces wouldn't just allow for a more rounded perspective for the nearly decade-long time period that he had an on-again, off-again affiliation with ROH, but also wouldn't receive anything close to resembling an amount of backlash that would be significant or meaningful. I think it's easy to forget that Cornette's contributions will forever be felt in ROH, from being a manager to an authority figure (twice), to working dream segments against Bobby Heenan to his involvement in ROH vs. CZW, from being the lead booker and bridge of SBG buying the company from the brink of death from Silkin. To not include his perspective on ROH history would leave a significant hole in the story. I'll go so far that if Cornette can't be included for "moral" reasons, then don't even bother with the project at all.

As for including Feinstein, that would be trickier as for many people, his personal transgressions are impossible to come back from, compounded with the horrible position those transgressions put ROH in. I completely understand that so many would prefer for him to be permanently considered persona non grata. With that said, I believe that over time, his inclusion in discussing ROH"s first 2 years would be gradually and begrudgingly accepted, and even appreciated depending on what he would bring to the table. For all I know, Feinstein himself may not care to be included in it if he thinks it could open wounds that need to remain closed.

As someone who's going to be covering the Feinstein/Silkin eras for Voices of Wrestling, I hope that this hypothetical documentary series I've pitched becomes a reality sometime during the 2020s decade. And I know that I'm not the only one who would be excited for it.
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

Ironically, Cornette would be a great subject for "Dark Side of the Ring"
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I’ll take the L on Cornette now, at least for the foreseeable future. Way too toxic of an idea, no matter how much I’d appreciate a History of ROH story.