Your ROH In 2020

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
BurningHammer

Your ROH In 2020

Post by BurningHammer »

This maybe too soon but as we are moving into the new year with ROH, we seem to be at another point where a lot could happen, the company could rebound very successfully or sink further. With that in mind I thought though it would be time to get peoples thoughts on what they want to see next year. I hope this can be a positive exercise without getting too negative and just give people a creative avenue for their hopes for ROH.

Who would you like to see as Champion and the challengers for each division

What stories would you like to develop, what fueds would you like to see

Who would you like to see come into the company

What changes would you like to see, both internally and externally with the product itself.

How I would like to see things moving forward as of January 1st 2020,

This would be my best case scenario of a core group of talent to choose from, with a couple of additions I think are happening or could happen.

RUSH, Taylor, The Briscoes, Lethal, Gresham, Dragon Lee, PCO, Taven, Vinny, Maff, Castle, Hendry, Marty, Flip, Brody, Bateman, Bandido, Flamita, Haskins, Williams, King, Shelley, C2C, Rampage, S.O.S, Silas, Woods. (possible Schadenfreuda), WOH, Maria Maniac, Gia Scott, Session Moth Martina,

World Championship

RUSH (Champion)

Challengers,

Marty, Castle, Lethal, Haskins, Maff, Taven, Jay Briscoe, Shelley

TV Championship

Dragon Lee (Champion)

Challengers,

Taylor, Gresham, Flip, Brody, Bandido, Shelley, Hendry, Bateman, Silas or Woods, Rampage

Tag Team Championships

Lethal/Gresham (Champions)

Challengers,

The Briscoes, LifeBlood, MexiBlood, RUSH/DragonLee, Marty/Flip, Bateman/Brody, Woods/Silas, Castle/Hendry, C2C, S.O.S,(Schadenfrueda)

Three Man Championships

VE (champions)

Challengers,

LifeBlood, LIA S.T.P, New Kingdom, Hounds of Horrors (possible),

WOH Championship

Maria Maniac (Champion)

Challengers,

Session Moth Martina, Gia Scott, Aria Palmer
AnHonorableMention

Re: Your ROH In 2020

Post by AnHonorableMention »

I'd like to see coherent storylines arching around tentpole events, creating matches that elicit positive must see reactions. The roster is what it is. Cobb and Rush should be the Final Battle 2020 main event if they're around. If the Marty thing pans out the way I expect, I'd suspect he and Flip have a run with the tag straps before Marty turns on him. That's a final battle match. Bandido needs a singles run, I'd like to see more personality profiles on the talent. Give us a why and how vs. matches telling the story. The women's title means nothing thanks to the Allure.

There's a ton of free agent talent that can be brought in too.

The tag division is the most important part of the company they've ruined. Briscoes, Lethal/Gresham, PCO/King, SOS, I'd like to see the additions made here somehow reunite the All Nights.

Also no more Bubba Ray Dudley. I never want to see him on camera again, ever.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'll take the route of a Marty Scurll - less ring of honor for 2020... and mostly existing talent... other than that, best case scenario.

Who would you like to see as Champion and the challengers for each division?

At this point , I'd keep Rush as the dominant champ.

Potential contenders to beat Rush: Gresham, Brody King, Bandido, Dragon Lee, Jeff Cobb

TV Title : Dragon Lee
Contenders : Joe Hendry, Flip Gordon, Taven, Dalton Castle, Shane Taylor

Tag Team : Lethal/Gresham
Contenders : Haskins/Williams. Mexablood , PCO & Maff, Work horsemen, Rush/lee

Trios: Silas/Woods/Johnson
Contenders : Beer City/Brawler, & Cheeseburger, Kenny, & SOS, Bateman, PCO & Maff, Castle, Hendry, & Colt

-disband Life blood (Haskins & Williams stay as tag team)
- continue kindom feud

(factions)
- Create LIJ US with (Rush, Dragon Lee, Jeff Cobb, Bandio and Flamita)
- Create a new faction led by Vincent as a manager, to include Brody King, PCO, Dan Maff, Bateman
- Shane Taylor Promotions adds SOS & Kenny King & Shaheem Ali

Dalton Castle needs to find his mojo storyline...and re-establish him as a main eventer.

Gresham/Lethal take on all challengers: (Mexabloood feud)
Briscoes have an international challenge to any tag team in the world

Alex Shelley works with dojo/FOH stars.

Flip Gordon baby face turn.. goes against Brody/PCO/Maff/Batman

Joe Hendry - TV champ... mainly flys solo often getting beat down due to being out numbered.

Silas / Woods / Johnson win trios titles. (feuds with STP)

Jeff Cobb & LIJ inter turmoil

PJ Black & LSG form tag team.

I'd also try and do some cross promotion with AEW, so like Marty & Brody show up in AEW as an invasion of sorts. Brody still works for ROH in the meantime.

Flamita, Chris Brooks, Kylie Rae , Anthony Henry & JD Drake

I'd also take the biggest disgruntled WWE star i can get, and i'd look at bringing in better people on the mic.

What changes would you like to see, both internally and externally with the product itself.

I think first you have to fix the TV product. It doesn't look like they are successfully have a honor club & a TV show that fits together. Soooo

1) Go back to TV tapings
2) Two Tier Honor Club = First tier Free.... basically the library of TV episodes... then Premium a new & improved Honor Club with every ROH show ever; every PPV, discounts , 30$ for the year.
3) Better promote shows/tapings. USE YOUTUBE for weekly update show (10-15 mins)
4) Establish better relationships with NJPW/CMLL/NWA/ and potentially AEW/MLW/Impact
5) Women of Honor and Future of Honor shows go on HonorClub.
6) Better PR..... Better customer service... better streaming service

I'm sure there are some other areas to focus on as well.. but those seem like mandatory.
AnHonorableMention

I'd add to my list with one caveat, add a couple of working veteran coaches 2 Cold Scorpio, Alex Shelley, types. The latter of which I don't see happening.
Captain Podcast
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Who would you like to see as Champion and the challengers for each division

World Champ: Rush
Challengers: Matt Taven, Alex Shelley, Dalton Castle, Jeff Cobb (if he stays)

TV Champ: Alex Shelley
Contenders: PJ Black (if he stays), Tracy Williams, Mark Haskins, Dak Draper

Tag Champs: Lethal & Gresham
Contenders: Briscoes, Silas Young and Josh Woods, ANX, Master & Machine, Eli Isom & Ryan Nova, SOS

Storylines:
1. Kenny King and Rhett Titus reform ANX
2. End LifeBlood -- it hasn't been a real thing since Juice Robinson left.
3. Vinny Marseglia to Villains Inc. assuming Marty is gone.
4. Get Dalton Castle back to being Dalton Castle. He is not a good heel and he doesn't seem to have a proper role.
5. Taven reforms a new Kingdom

Feuds:

1. Briscoes and SOS
2. Kingdom - Villains Inc.
3. Silas & Woods - BCB & Milonas
4. Tracy Williams - Flip Gordon
5. Mark Haskins - TK O'Ryan
6. Rush - Jeff Cobb (if he stays)

1. Filthy Tom Lawlor if he's truly done with MLW
2. A decent indy tag team (Ugly Ducklings, Besties in the World, etc.)
3. Master & Machine (as signed talent)

1. Fix the TV product. Go back to TV tapings. I like many of the ideas mentioned above by Montana in regards to handling the media (TV, YouTube, HonorClub).

2. Consistent, sensible storylines and booking. Build up to significant matches at all levels (early matches, mid-card, and main event) and have proper blow offs that legitimately end a feud or storyline (too much stuff starts, fizzles for a while, then comes back such as the whole LifeBlood-Bully Ray garbage). Look at MLW's recent PPV -- they spent a lot of time building all of the matches on the card -- not a single one was just some random pairing.

2. Get rid of Bully Ray. Bringing him in for a 6 month run was a decent idea and entertaining (similiar to the brief runs of the Hardys and Hurricane Helms). Keeping him past his "retirement" and turning him heel (and everything since) has been horrible.

3. Give Alex Shelley some sort of individual title run (TV would be fine), even if it's a short one.

4. Go back to focusing on the product (in-ring wrestling) and stop trying to meander too closely to "sports entertainment."

5. Use Caprice Coleman in the ring (unless he has no interest).
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:09 am I'd like to see coherent storylines arching around tentpole events, creating matches that elicit positive must see reactions. The roster is what it is. Cobb and Rush should be the Final Battle 2020 main event if they're around. If the Marty thing pans out the way I expect, I'd suspect he and Flip have a run with the tag straps before Marty turns on him. That's a final battle match. Bandido needs a singles run, I'd like to see more personality profiles on the talent. Give us a why and how vs. matches telling the story. The women's title means nothing thanks to the Allure.
Certainly how I view it to a certain point, I do think they will be a main tag team for ROH, though I think Marty will be ROH champ while trying to go for tag titles but always failing and that's what leads to the turn.

There certainly needs to be more personality profiles, it would have given LifeBlood a huge advantage in their build, even the backstage stuff just never came off how it should of. I always thought they should have down a lot of Dojo work with them showing in intense training at all times.
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:09 am The tag division is the most important part of the company they've ruined. Briscoes, Lethal/Gresham, PCO/King, SOS, I'd like to see the additions made here somehow reunite the All Nights.
I think they've managed to create a number of tag teams now that can move forward and have some depth to start expanding, like you say it felt the most lack luster unstructured tag division in quite some time, now it feels like there is quite a few teams to go forward with. Would King be a bit an issue with trying to reform the All Nights?
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:09 amAlso no more Bubba Ray Dudley. I never want to see him on camera again, ever.
I think we are all in agreement on this, hopefully ROH listen's finally.

I've always wondered why ROH didn't look back to bringing Jerry Lynn back, having two or three older head's would certainly be something I would look to just to help talent develop further skills.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I think the way they the current TV set up is perfect for a midweek youtube show, maybe cut it down to just one match from a recent House Show that fits in with the TV epsiode that is coming up or one from a previous week, and have the other time taken up with promo's, talent related interviews and deeper background stories to fueds. I would also have Brian as the guy to do a top five ranking system for challengers for each title so we can keep track of wins and losses.

I think with TV tapings match making always seemed a big issue, so many times they just felt very uninspired or didn't deliver as expected. Give more TV tapings matches like Marty vs Bandido, The Briscoes vs RUSH/Lee throughout the whole four hours and it's likely people w0nt be put off by going to them, especially if they last four hours. I would also make sure that each taping TV epsiode run on the TV cocurrent from the last in their story telling. So many times how the last show ended wouldn't translate to the next one, or only would later on in the episode, have the story start the next epsiode. It might mean putting an episode that was taped later in the night back in it's order but the effort would be so worth it for everyone.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I'm just going to keep asking for a Blue World Order title reign until I get it.
AnHonorableMention

BurningHammer wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:17 am
Certainly how I view it to a certain point, I do think they will be a main tag team for ROH, though I think Marty will be ROH champ while trying to go for tag titles but always failing and that's what leads to the turn.
Too much roster depth to have to spread it thin with one guy going working around two belts.

BurningHammer wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:17 amThere certainly needs to be more personality profiles, it would have given LifeBlood a huge advantage in their build, even the backstage stuff just never came off how it should of. I always thought they should have down a lot of Dojo work with them showing in intense training at all times.
If guys like Brian Johnson and Dak Draper will be taken seriously we need to know their individual "why" until they do that, nobody will care.
BurningHammer wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:17 amI think they've managed to create a number of tag teams now that can move forward and have some depth to start expanding, like you say it felt the most lack luster unstructured tag division in quite some time, now it feels like there is quite a few teams to go forward with. Would King be a bit an issue with trying to reform the All Nights?
True tag teams, not singles guys with no direction put together like Haskins and Williams or Dalton & Hendry. They have no true tag teams outside of the Briscoes who truly matter. Don't know about King being opposed to it. I don't see why that wouldn't be a big reunion once Titus "earns it" per their story.
BurningHammer wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:17 am I think we are all in agreement on this, hopefully ROH listen's finally.
They don't care about us, they don't listen.
BurningHammer wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:17 amI've always wondered why ROH didn't look back to bringing Jerry Lynn back, having two or three older head's would certainly be something I would look to just to help talent develop further skills.
Jerry was always AEW bound. He's been very fun to spend time with. Hopefully his surgery went well and he's back on the road soon! Great guy!
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

My dream case for ROH 2020?

SBG sells the entire company to Tony Khan. In circumstances with MANY moving parts, the following happens:

AEW completely absorbs ROH

AT&T WarnerMedia agrees to create a second 2-hour program on TBS
ROH is a separate brand for the TBS program, meaning the even more loaded roster is accommodated and the ROH World Title becomes parallel to the AEW World Title, OR
This second program isn't a separate brand under the ROH name, but just an extension, and the ROH World Title becomes known only as the ROH Title, becoming the secondary singles title in AEW, while ROH's TV Title becomes #3 as the TV Title.

If ROH were not to be a separate brand, we get unification matches for the women's and tag team championships, the latter being featured on PPV.

As part of the agreement, SBG agrees for their designated syndication slots for the weekly ROH program to be replaced as a weekly AEW highlight program. A key part of the agreement is that all SBG-owned FOX stations will air the AEW weekly program immediately following SmackDown on Friday nights.

ROH serves as the core backbone for the inception of AEW's online video streaming network, as the library is finally dusted off and appropriately edited, remastered, and uploaded in a timely fashion. As a long-time Observer subscriber and hardcore fan, Khan gives ROH's history the respect and recognition it deserves for both artistic and commercial purposes. Furthermore, we get discussions and documentaries about ROH's history and impact on the business, featuring not just on-screen talents available to be interviewed, but off-screen names as well as some of the more well-versed fans throughout the years with inside knowledge like Jeff Schwartz and Rob Naylor.

Last but not least, AEW finally has full ownership of All In.

That's the only fucking thing I want from SBG and ROH in 2020. Nothing else suffices.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Dude AEW is such a big thing right now. Any affiliation with ROH would be a BIG mistake.. ROH is like lower than TNA right now, in terms of name value. Why the hell would AEW acknowledge ROH at all? I don't get it. AEW stands to gain nothing from any ROH partnership or buyout. What, you think they want Bubba Ray and fuckin Mandy Leon on their roster? LMAO
AnHonorableMention

alexsmellzzz wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:37 am Dude AEW is such a big thing right now. Any affiliation with ROH would be a BIG mistake.. ROH is like lower than TNA right now, in terms of name value. Why the hell would AEW acknowledge ROH at all? I don't get it. AEW stands to gain nothing from any ROH partnership or buyout. What, you think they want Bubba Ray and fuckin Mandy Leon on their roster? LMAO

Library and a couple pieces of talent. Everyone else is fired.
Captain Podcast
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

If AEW saw value in ROH, which I would think they would considering what a rebirth senario would for it as a promotion. They would obvioiusly be owners many wouldn't feel uncomfortable with or feel there would be problems attracting talent, developing talent, plus it gives everyone an option do something fresh, especially if they had a seperate touring schedule.

There is enough talent there to have more than a decent promotion, plus it does have a fan following it just has to feel it is comfortable engaging with it. Which would even happen if certain things changed and certain people left.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Can’t argue with supersonic. I think there is value there, like you said with the library and talent. This would make a lot of sense for aew on a couple different levels.

The biggest gain would be the streaming aspect. You could run ROH on Aew’s service much like Wwe and Nxt.... then move ROh to TBS once it picks back up.

The talent is another resource. AEW will need a training/development center at some point.

Mostly all positives for aew. Only thing does Sbg want to sell??

Alex, you gotta think that Aew’s management would take over ROH’s management. I’d take a faction of Aew’s marketing and promotions in ROh. The content is not that drastically different. Perception is HUGE.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Cody, The Bucks, Omega have the creative influence on AEW, I'd give the reigns of ROH to Daniels and Kazarian in that scenario.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I was told the more ideal scenario, which would require even more moving parts, would be for someone that's close to Khan and with the appropriate funds (perhaps sourced from Khan) to purchase ROH and run it as a completely separate company, not a different brand under AEW. In this case, both ROH and AEW would still have a shared on-demand video network similar to Hulu.

Furthermore, for the ROH history content, I'd reach out to anybody available, not just free agents and AEW-contracted individuals, but also difficult personalities like Cornette to Aries to even Feinstein. (Although if there was an overwhelming backlash to Feinstein's inclusion, he'd have to be removed.) They would be treated in the same way that Russo has been treated by WWE for the Monday Night War historical content.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

supersonic wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:25 pm I was told the more ideal scenario, which would require even more moving parts, would be for someone that's close to Khan and with the appropriate funds (perhaps sourced from Khan) to purchase ROH and run it as a completely separate company, not a different brand under AEW. In this case, both ROH and AEW would still have a shared on-demand video network similar to Hulu.

Furthermore, for the ROH history content, I'd reach out to anybody available, not just free agents and AEW-contracted individuals, but also difficult personalities like Cornette to Aries to even Feinstein. (Although if there was an overwhelming backlash to Feinstein's inclusion, he'd have to be removed.) They would be treated in the same way that Russo has been treated by WWE for the Monday Night War historical content.
Feinstein and Cornette? Are you high?
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I would like for them to do more triple shots....2 honorclub shows and then a tv taping for 3 weeks of tv where tv builds up to the honorclub shows. i'd only do 2 ppvs a year. BITW/FB. Also would get back to doing weekly recaps/storylines on youtube.

Sign about 8 new guys. 4 known guys and 4 younger guys who are ready to break out.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:24 pm I would like for them to do more triple shots....2 honorclub shows and then a tv taping for 3 weeks of tv where tv builds up to the honorclub shows. i'd only do 2 ppvs a year. BITW/FB. Also would get back to doing weekly recaps/storylines on youtube.

Sign about 8 new guys. 4 known guys and 4 younger guys who are ready to break out.
If you can't sell tickets to one show, why do 3 times the shows?
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:29 pm
Shanahan wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:24 pm I would like for them to do more triple shots....2 honorclub shows and then a tv taping for 3 weeks of tv where tv builds up to the honorclub shows. i'd only do 2 ppvs a year. BITW/FB. Also would get back to doing weekly recaps/storylines on youtube.

If you can't sell tickets to one show, why do 3 times the shows?
It's what i'd like...not reality...lol