"The Mecca" Brian Johnson Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

"The Mecca" Brian Johnson Thread

Post by Montana »

What do you guys think about "the Mecca" Brian Johson (formerly #1 Brian Johnson)?? Despite losing in the first round of the top prospect tournament, he's been getting the most TV time. He seems to feel different than other future of honor stars. He's got a confidence and swagger you don't see in a majority of the future of honor stars. Seems pretty solid/fundamental in the ring as well.

I'm sure with his attitude, he will draw some comparisons to Silas Young. If booked properly, i could see him have a pretty good run in ROH. I'll go as far to say he's a future TV champ. Anyone else liking Brian Johnson??
kovs27

Re: "The Mecca" Brian Johnson Thread

Post by kovs27 »

He's done enough that I'm willing to see where his character goes.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Meh. Under no period of time in ROH history would this guy be on the radar at any level. Now he's considered someone people think could fit in. What a long steep drop.
Captain Podcast
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm Meh. Under no period of time in ROH history would this guy be on the radar at any level. Now he's considered someone people think could fit in. What a long steep drop.
This times a 100. I can't believe the difference in talent from, let's say 2005 or 2006. I am still stubbornly loyal to the product, but let's face it, the talent and work rate is light years different and it's not for the better.
AnHonorableMention

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:32 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm Meh. Under no period of time in ROH history would this guy be on the radar at any level. Now he's considered someone people think could fit in. What a long steep drop.
This times a 100. I can't believe the difference in talent from, let's say 2005 or 2006. I am still stubbornly loyal to the product, but let's face it, the talent and work rate is light years different and it's not for the better.
I also don't want it to sound like I'm bashing Brian either. There's a plethora of talent out there to be signed that would fit in better and might actually attract paying customers with vested interest.

Tre Lamar
Josh Bishop
Aaron Solow
Jordan Oliver(MLW deal is not worth the paper it's printed on)
Chris Bey
Alex Zayne
Blake Christian
Tony Deppen
Matthew Justice
Shane Mercer

That's off the top of my head. All more charismatic and better fits stylistically than Brian Johnson.
Captain Podcast
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I don’t think it’s unfair too say there are better talents especially in ring wise that could deliver better than Johnson. That said there are plenty on the list that couldn’t deliver the overall package that Brian for the most part is doing. Johnson is doing what he is doing very well, I thought what he did in the match at unauthorised was very good for what he needed to do.

I think overall ROH have done a good job of helping him naturally shelve his previous gimmick, and creating one that fits into the reality of him in ROH. I think it’s important regardless of Johnson’s success that he is getting the time, the ‘push’ for the other Dojo guys like O’Shay Edwards, Victor Benjimen etc that they will get the time, you can get onto the main roster and show what you can do. For them though The process just has to be quicker and not to have the history of Johnson’s past holding him down.

Also favs in general need to better at accepting guys coming through the dojo. I hate when people just shit on someone from there or ROH in general because they haven’t heard on them. Just allow them to show you what they can do and then judge.

Another guy that honestly I can’t believe isn’t everywhere is Benjamin Carter, because if he isn’t with New Japan’s LA dojo soon, I would be surprised. Apart from size the guy has it all and at such a young age he really could be something special, in ring wise anyway.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

I think he'd be fine in undercard, but TV title might be pushing it too far. And I don't really get "in the past he wouldn't even be looked at" argument, its not like RoH always had rock solid list of workers.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

though i agree he sucks. lets not pretend ROH has always had all star rosters.

Carnage Crew
Christopher Street Connection
most of Special K
Alex Sugerfoot
Grizzly Redwood
Ricky Reyes
QT Marshall
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

To add my perspective - whilst I’ve not seen enough of him in the ring to comment (what I have seen I’ve not enjoyed), I do find his current character and promo delivery effective.

When an ROH video appears in my social media newsfeeds I tend to just skip past, but I have found myself watching his recent efforts and being mildly intrigued.

Not passing comment on whether that’s really ‘good enough’, and certainly not passing comment on his in-ring ability as I’ve just not seen enough...but yeah - I’ve enjoyed what I’ve seen recently from a character delivery/interview & promo perspective.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

im just gonna wait if he can break in 2020, not gonna shit on the guy without a reason.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Eh -- honestly, I liked his previous gimmick a bit better, and moreso, I preferred the tag team he was in with Justin Pusser (One Mean Team). They were pretty effective together and I was sorry to see that end (not sure what happened there). The problem with "The Mecca" gimmick is that it comes off as a comedic one and ROH already has plenty of that currently. What I liked about his tag team situation was they came off as a competent tag team that could be heels without being a slapstick routine (which is what "The Mecca" trends too far towards). They already have silly covered with Dalton Castle, Joe Hendry, Delirious, Cheeseburger, etc.
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:08 am
though i agree he sucks. lets not pretend ROH has always had all star rosters.

Carnage Crew
Christopher Street Connection
most of Special K
Alex Sugerfoot
Grizzly Redwood
Ricky Reyes
QT Marshall
Everyone on that list is way more adequate at their role than whatever Brian Johnson is.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Go ahead and add Filthy Tom Lawlor to the top of my free agent list.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:31 am Go ahead and add Filthy Tom Lawlor to the top of my free agent list.
I assume Tom Lawlor's price tag is quite a bit higher than Brian Johnson. I'm not going to argue their isn't better free agents out there, i'm simply saying i've enjoyed his work thus far in a limited role. Could see him growing and contributing the the company.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:31 am Go ahead and add Filthy Tom Lawlor to the top of my free agent list.
Lawlor would be such a great addition to the ROH roster. He could be a great World Champion.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:45 pm
I assume Tom Lawlor's price tag is quite a bit higher than Brian Johnson. I'm not going to argue their isn't better free agents out there, i'm simply saying i've enjoyed his work thus far in a limited role. Could see him growing and contributing the the company.
The point is not what his ceiling is, the point is in times past the guy had to earn a spot in ROH through work in other indies. Now he goes to the dojo and is considered a fit based on minimal at best evidence. That's not true ROH.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:04 pm
The point is not what his ceiling is, the point is in times past the guy had to earn a spot in ROH through work in other indies. Now he goes to the dojo and is considered a fit based on minimal at best evidence. That's not true ROH.
I hear what your saying.... but every company has wrestlers that their ceiling isn't world champ. Do you really think AEW considers Marko Stunt, Michael Nakazawa, Brendan Cutler, Peter Avalon for future world champs?? You can do that for every company. Hell, probably over 50% of the impact roster doesn't have that high ceiling. I think when putting together a roster, you looking for different things/positions. So not everyone needs a high ceiling.

Secondly, ROH in the past did not have a dojo, and now they do. So since they have the dojo, they might as well use it. They also didn't have contracts back in the 2000's. They didn't have a TV deal, etc, etc, Much has changed as the company has grown. Trust me, i don't think the dojo has much if any value added at this point, but on a positive it gives guys like gresham a bigger role with the company as a trainer.

Here nor there, he's good on the mic, and fundamental in the ring. I'm not going to shit on the guy who's basically been a jobber, and working through the dojo for years. Not to mention this thread is getting a lot of responses... that probably votes well for him. heel or face, you want a response.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Unless his tweet is trying to be missleading, it looks like he is headed back to UFC next year.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnHonorableMention

BurningHammer wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:07 am
Unless his tweet is trying to missleading, it looks like he is headed back to UFC next year.

I don't know, what the deal is. I know he's an AIW regular and currently the AIW champ. Great dude and would be an asset to any locker room.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:37 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:04 pm

I hear what your saying.... but every company has wrestlers that their ceiling isn't world champ. Do you really think AEW considers Marko Stunt, Michael Nakazawa, Brendan Cutler, Peter Avalon for future world champs?? You can do that for every company. Hell, probably over 50% of the impact roster doesn't have that high ceiling. I think when putting together a roster, you looking for different things/positions. So not everyone needs a high ceiling.

Secondly, ROH in the past did not have a dojo, and now they do. So since they have the dojo, they might as well use it. They also didn't have contracts back in the 2000's. They didn't have a TV deal, etc, etc, Much has changed as the company has grown. Trust me, i don't think the dojo has much if any value added at this point, but on a positive it gives guys like gresham a bigger role with the company as a trainer.

Here nor there, he's good on the mic, and fundamental in the ring. I'm not going to shit on the guy who's basically been a jobber, and working through the dojo for years. Not to mention this thread is getting a lot of responses... that probably votes well for him. heel or face, you want a response.
It's two different types of promotional situations. AEW promotes guys as being at a certain level. ROH is taking a guy, Brian Johnson with equal talent to Marko, Michael, etc. and you all want him to be shoved upward. AEW has those guys in spots where they're maximized for their level of talent. Everyone should strive for the highest ceiling. No doubt the AEW guys are.

They've always had a school dating back to 2003. That's what the dojo is. Dojo is just the fancy name. The TV thing has been part of the equation as have contracts since late 2006. I know the very first contract offered came in December of 2006 leading into Respect is Earned in 2007.

You are right, you want a response but there's go away and get better responses vs. go away responses vs. we like the guy he's decent responses. Divisiveness doesn't equal positivity.
Captain Podcast