Final Battle 2019 - Official Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Re: Final Battle 2019 - Official Thread

Post by AlexROH »

Montana wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:56 pm
AlexROH wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:24 pm
Montana wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:06 pm

From what I’m tracking his CMLL deal which was cancelled was until the end of 2020. His ROH deal was until the end of 2019. It was expected rush would stay as long as he’s with CMLL. So now no more CMLL, but is the ROH champ. So it’s likely he will sign for another year with ROH, or there’s a chance he could bolt. Since he’s got leverage as ROh champ, he’s trying to get his Dad/friends signed by ROh.
How many time do I have to post here that his deal with ROH had nothing to do with his deal with CMLL? It was a 2 year deal with exclusivity in the US.

Since the very first day he left CMLL, he has been saying that I still have another year under contract with ROH, in every single interview, even in the one I already posted here like a month ago.

And regarding Fallout, he is advertised on the poster and he using that poster, as well as ROH, on his social media. Maybe he doesn't have match because they don't want to spoil the result of the ME.
Clearly, there are conflicting reports....

THis was from Jan 2019:
"According to Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer [H/T Fightful’s Jeremy Lambert], “Rush’s deal with ROH is a one-year U.S./Ontario market deal worth approximately $155,000. The deal is on top of his CMLL contract, which is a five-year deal that expires at the end of 2020.”
https://dailyddt.com/2019/01/17/details ... rning-wwe/

By the end of 2019, we could see the current ROH World Champion in another promotion, as the Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that RUSH's contract with Ring of Honor is set to expire near the end of 2019.

https://theringreport.com/indy_wrestlin ... oon-a12227

https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/n ... -this-year

https://lordsofpain.net/roh-world-champ ... w-and-wwe/

As for ROH’s deal, it was $150,000 for one year, a likely ROH World title push, and whatever indy dates he could get. There had to be other incentives in the deal to make it a hard pick. I mean, stuff like merch is expected. Or it could’ve just been a decision made purely on the relationship between CMLL and ROH.

https://theovertimer.com/roh-champion-rush-contract-up/
Every info you got is from Meltzer, who is wrong about it.

Rush has been cristal clear about his future in the US in every interview he's done. He has a deal with through 2020.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Can you share a link with this information?

Nevermind - Found this one. As mentioned, there is conflicting info out there. I'd probably lean towards trusting Rush. Maybe it's a 2 year deal, but 1 year option to opt out. Sounds like WWE/AEW have interest now. Either way, i'm happy if it's 2 years.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2019/10/3 ... soap-opera
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

famicommander wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:11 am Anyone else depressed that Liger's final US match was some random undercard young lion comedy tag match in San Jose?

It should've been at Final Battle against someone like Flip Gordon, Jon Gresham, Eli Isom, Marty Scurll, Dragon Lee, Alex Shelley, PJ Black, or TK O'Ryan.
My guess would be that if MSG show and things surrounding it went better then this would have happened.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Angelina Love vs Maria Maniac has been added to Final Battle.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:49 am Angelina Love vs Maria Maniac has been added to Final Battle.
Squash!
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

monster mafia wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:11 am
BurningHammer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:49 am Angelina Love vs Maria Maniac has been added to Final Battle.
Squash!
You would hope so.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

If you want some good feeling for the woh division after this mess....just debut Kylie rae on the ppv, just random thinking..
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

monster mafia wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:18 am If you want some good feeling for the woh division after this mess....just debut Kylie rae on the ppv, just random thinking..
The Kelly Klein thing is going to make a lot of people not want to be involved in WOH. Names like Kylie Rae are better served going to bigger regional indy shows, since those draw as much as ROH now anyways. AEW, Impact, and WWE all have womens divisions that make ROH's look like a joke.

I would honestly suggest just dropping WOH as a whole at this point. It's a vanity project for people's girlfriends. Blow up the whole ROH and start fresh, don't try to use things like WOH that were never a success anyway.

It's funny because it was not even a YEAR ago when ROH brought in Mayu Iwatani. Her vs Kelly at a Vegas PPV wasn't blowaway, but it definitely made me think "whoa, there might be something here!" Lol. What a waste.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

No drop, invest and rebuild.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

You guys should check out Maria Manic's youtube channel. She makes videos with her bf (Teddy Hart) where they both appear to be on drugs, just ranting endlessly. It's entertaining, but also kind of sad. Apropos for ROH in 2019.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Just let the women fight the men. They don't have enough decent women and every time they get one, they just leave anyway.

Britt Baker, Kelly Klein, Tenille Dashwood, Candice LaRae, Heidi Lovelace/Ruby Riott, Crazy Mary Dobson/Sarah Logan, Deonna Purrazzo, Mayu Iwatani, Hania the Huntress, Madison Rayne, Thunder Rosa, and so many more. A revolving door of ridiculously talented ladies, and we're still watching Mandy Leon.

I could get down with Angelina Love vs Jay Lethal or Maria Manic vs pretty much anybody.

Impact has the right idea with Tessa. They should have her beat Sami and then unify the World Title with Taya's Knockouts title.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

What? No
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

monster mafia wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:10 pm What? No
Why not?

Is Tessa beating Sami Callihan any less believable than Rey Mysterio beating up Kane?

Is Angelina Love beating Jon Gresham less believable than Riho beating Awesome Kong, or Marco Stunt beating up any adult human being in a fight?

It's wrestling. The believability hasn't been there for decades and anybody who thinks that toothpaste is going back in the tube is delusional.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Mmmmm, no thanks.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

have any more tickets been sold or anyone heard any update on the numbers?
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

It is not only about being believable, but many people in general don't like male on female violence, scripted or not.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Lynx wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:49 pm It is not only about being believable, but many people in general don't like male on female violence, scripted or not.
Some of the best matches and segments in Lucha Underground history were intergender matches. Ivelisse Velez especially went all out every single time.

If we're truly about equality in this society, I see this as the right step. These are all larger than life characters anyway; to me it doesn't make sense to limit the scope of the females to only fighting other females. Supergirl and Wonder Woman don't only fight female villains. If Lex Luthor or Brainiac get out of line, Supergirl doesn't wait until Superman isn't busy to do something about it.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Chikara did a legendarily good job on using intergender match-ups too. You have to (of course) book it right, start from building main event quality tag matches with main event quality wrestlers and work down from there. I think any promotion with a men and women's division can do it effectively.

More on topic, I'm watching some of these Final Battle promo videos and dearly missing the production used for The Pinnacle.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Roh is implying that the women match at final battle is not for the title
Montana

Post by Montana »

famicommander wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:54 pm
monster mafia wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:10 pm What? No
Why not?

Is Tessa beating Sami Callihan any less believable than Rey Mysterio beating up Kane?

Is Angelina Love beating Jon Gresham less believable than Riho beating Awesome Kong, or Marco Stunt beating up any adult human being in a fight?

It's wrestling. The believability hasn't been there for decades and anybody who thinks that toothpaste is going back in the tube is delusional.
Me personally, i'm completely against men and women competing. It's not a believably thing. It degrades the roster and talent in my opinion, and takes me out of the product.

In the example of Impact.... Tessa and Sami.. Your basically telling me Tessa is above All other women wrestlers, and essentially devaluing their womens title. Then your also telling me Tessa is better than 95% of the male roster. Or even Seth Rollins and Becky in WWE. By the way it was booked, they made Becky to be the star, while Seth's popularity faded. In these scenarios booking needs to be near flawless to work for everyone.

Again, my opinion, it's a "cheap" tactic to draw some shock and awe.

I can go on... but i think it's just one of those things some people like, some don't. Personally i hope ROH doesn't go that route with Maria, but is what it is. Not knocking anyone who like's it, as clearly there is a market for it... i'm just saying it's not for me, with how it affects others on the roster.
Last edited by Montana on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.